• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

LJ11

Oddsplit is beatable through the air, but you have to know what route combos to use to break down coverage, you also need protection.

You can easily setup 2 on 1 on the center because of the way the DL lines up, they cover up the guards and the LOLB and MLB are free to make a run at him if you squeeze them tight. You're then free to take the ROLB and quickly assign him to man coverage on a TE or assign him to whatever spot of the field you want. Couple that with decent safety play and you can get a good pass rush with 4 guys and 7 in coverage.

It's good against the outside run, especially tosses, because the safeties loop around pullers pretty quick.

The guy I played was pretty smart football wise, he was trying to 2 on 1 the safety, and had a backside cross to hit if i brought inside pressure. TE would run a flat route, slot receiver an out, and Z receiver a go. The safety basically had to defend two players, the slot and TE, and he did it with ease. Backside cross was his only real option and I mixed it up enough were he didn't know where to go with the ball.

Basically the D frustrates the hell out of players, but if he hot routed the slot to a go, and Z to a fade (up on the right stick), he may have had what he was looking for because he would have 2 on 1 the corner and the safety wouldn't drop at all with the safety playing the flat. But if you're a good safety player you can defend the slot go.

It's not unstoppable, a bit unrealistic because of how the safeties get back, but you need to keep their attention, keep them occupied with receivers so you can free your outside guy. Also dink and dunk the ball, try killing them in the flats, if they start protecting the flats with a cover 2 make sure to send two guys deep on one safeties side, one wr will get open.

Like CB said, mix it up.

Edit: DE contain against tosses and screens fellas, you feel that toss coming put your DE in contain.

Birdman02

DCX, I know you said "it's all good", but I just wanna respond to some of this because it feels like you're calling me out. I don't like drama, but I do wanna defend myself.

DCX: i mean seriously how many teams in the real NFL use nickel as a base D

Are you saying I ran this as my base D? I spent most of the game in the various base 3-4 formations. Nickel Odd Split was only used in obvious passing situations (mixed in with the other nickel formations too.)

DCX: u know maybe i'm just pissed from the whole airbrian thing, and then to play a dude who picks NO offense and Bal D lol
DCX: Titans base D is good from what i know of them

I'm not sure what's wrong with the NO offensive playbook. I'm usually a heavy passing team, and I like their pass playbook. Sure, they have a few different toss plays, but most of my damage in this game (actually, most of my games) was done with the pass with 3 50+ yd pass plays (1 screen, 1 quick drag to the outside, 1 bomb).

Also, I've never even seen the Titan's defensive playbook, so it would've been stupid to try to figure it out. I switched to Baltimore's D 2 games ago, so I figured I'd just run with it again.

DCX: it just screams, hmmm i have CJ ok toss cheese and wr screen cheese

As for CJ, 22 carries for 115 yards with a 14-16 yard long hardly sounds like toss cheese. I was running mostly stretch plays and off-tackle runs because you stopped the 2-3 toss plays I called early. Most of his yards came after the game was already pretty much over. I'm pretty sure he had under 40 yards in the 1st half.

Rorschach

The animation where the WR gets hit from behind and flipped by a guy that's trailing him by 3 yards needs to die in a fire.

Doesn't really have anything to do with any of these posts, but I just thought I'd say it.

Nightz

Rorschach said:
The animation where the WR gets hit from behind and flipped by a guy that's trailing him by 3 yards needs to die in a fire.

Doesn't really have anything to do with any of these posts, but I just thought I'd say it.
THIS.

So the week advanced and it seems like no games are being played yet. This is gonna be a long bye week. :lol

Rorschach

Nightz said:
THIS.

So the week advanced and it seems like no games are being played yet. This is gonna be a long bye week. :lol
I already told LJ I can't roll 'till Saturday at 9 so don't hold your breath.

Ramirez

I think anyone or anything that gets complained about 2-3 times by different people should be banned. I don't know how many people have complained about this D, but where there's smoke, there's fire ya know?

Nightz

Rorschach said:
I already told LJ I can't roll 'till Saturday at 9 so don't hold your breath.
al.png

LJ11

Ramirez said:
I think anyone or anything that gets complained about 2-3 times by different people should be banned. I don't know how many people have complained about this D, but where there's smoke, there's fire ya know?

Dude, people complain (including myself) about screens/tosses/counters/X defense/on and on, but what it comes down to, is that it's February and the games faults are almost intolerable at this point because of how much time we've put into it. It wears on you.

Birdman02

LJ11 said:
Dude, people complain (including myself) about screens/tosses/counters/X defense/on and on, but what it comes down to, is that it's February and the games faults are almost intolerable to some (including myself).

Don't forget speed backs, hit sticking safeties/LBs and WRs making catches in traffic.

Ramirez

LJ11 said:
Dude, people complain (including myself) about screens/tosses/counters/X defense/on and on, but what it comes down to, is that it's February and the games faults are almost intolerable at this point because of how much time we've put into it. It wears on you.

Well, there's different levels of complaining...you'd have to take alot of things into consideration I guess. I've never heard anyone say they lost a game or felt cheated because of too many screens and tosses though.

Also, bye week, FML.

LJ11

Best Stop Rate, Linebackers

Anthony Spencer, Dallas Cowboys, 68 percent
Lawrence Timmons, Pittsburgh Steelers, 66 percent
Lance Briggs, Chicago Bears, 66 percent
Aaron Curry, Seattle Seahawks, 65 percent
Nick Barnett, Green Bay Packers, 64 percent

P.Will MIA, I see Curry on the list!

I fucking hate Football Outsiders.

Edit: Rest of the list for anyone who cares.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
GCQuinton, when are you free to play? I'm a no go tomorrow night unless it's after Lost.

I'm free tonight and Wednesday night anytime past 9 pm est.

bluemax

Banned
Rorschach said:
I was gonna say...

PFF is the worst, though! Made up stats by their "experts."

All stats are made up! What is completion percentage but a derived stat!

Advanced stats for Football have a long way to go, especially for evaluating individual players. DVOA and DYAR work well for teams but on the individual level they have problems.

Still I'd take them over shit like QB Rating.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Anyone want to scrim?

Rorschach

bluemax said:
All stats are made up! What is completion percentage but a derived stat!

Advanced stats for Football have a long way to go, especially for evaluating individual players. DVOA and DYAR work well for teams but on the individual level they have problems.

Still I'd take them over shit like QB Rating.
I mean they make up the actual inputs. For example, crediting blown coverages to the wrong guy WHO WAS NOT EVEN ON THE FUCKING FIELD FOR 3 QUARTERS.

Their "experts" just watch the fucking tv broadcast and guestimate, then post their stats as undeniable truth.

Fuck PFF.

Matrix

ph33nix said:
Denver's undefeated streak is in my hands right now!

:lol :lol

bluemax

Banned
Rorschach said:
I mean they make up the actual inputs. For example, crediting blown coverages to the wrong guy WHO WAS NOT EVEN ON THE FUCKING FIELD FOR 3 QUARTERS.

Their "experts" just watch the fucking tv broadcast and guestimate, then post their stats as undeniable truth.

Fuck PFF.

I don't even know what PFF is.

Football is a lot harder game to quantify though because it isn't as binary as baseball.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Just had an instant classic with CK. Pulled it out in OT

Back on track in the NFC East. Now if someone could just take out Somnia...

Matrix

CB, I just realized I have not played you at all this year in Madden :lol You might escape the curse for the first time ever.

Pheeniks went a whole quarter not scoring with the Broncos against the Chiefs D :lol

Birdman02

Rorschach said:
...what's wrong with any of those?

Nothing. They're just things that people have complained about multiple times.

I just noticed AB is next on my schedule. What is the deadline this week?

Matrix said:
CB, I just realized I have not played you at all this year in Madden :lol You might escape the curse for the first time ever.

Pheeniks went a whole quarter not scoring with the Broncos against the Chiefs D :lol

fuck you for stalking me! I'm getting used to this game again! :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
CB3 said:
Just had an instant classic with CK. Pulled it out in OT

Back on track in the NFC East. Now if someone could just take out Somnia...
I can't even be mad, like in all my games against CB I have an at least -2 turnover ratio.

I beasted on the run to the tune of 191 yards, and I stopped his run all game then he gets a 66 yard TD to end it with WB. What would have been 23 carries for 70 yards turned into 24 for 136. :|

Get this boys, 8 seconds left 3rd and goal at my 4 yard line. I call a cover 2 and Cold comes out in four wide. I drop Tuck back because I expect a McNabb scramble, that's what happens, luckily I am there because McNabb TRUCKED my CB like he's fucking Christian Okoye. Two seconds left fourth and goal at the four. I suspect the same thing and drop Tuck into a manual spy.... but this time it's Vick!!! Fuck I panic and start trying to shadow him but Tuck slips and Vick heads towards the right and into the endzone. That was fucking INTENSE.

People need to start knocking off Somnia. I am fucked now as the Giants behind the Eagles and the Cowboys.

Top Bottom