• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that, I'm fine. But two things: his internals either say FL/NC/NV are hopeless or they say he's pretty far ahead. Otherwise you wouldn't waste the final week outside of states you need and actually have a shot in.

Am I off?

If your only real chance of winning relies on every non-college educated White male coming out to vote for you, then sure, those states make sense. What it also says is you think you have no more voters in NC, FL, and NV to turn, and that it's all down to GOTV. Since he's relying on the RNC and PACs for that work, it's insane. The RNC was designed to fill in gaps, and assist the campaigns in GOTV operations; not supplant them all on their own.

This is all Kabuki and he knows he will lose at this point.

Zukkoyaki

I'm a little surprised at the lack of Ohio and Iowa polling in the last month. I guess the desire to see how legit Clinton's leads in NC and FL are and curiosity about Arizona and Georgia have overshadowed them.

Qpac had Iowa tied on Thursday...

Retro

My polling place is actually an elementary school within walking distance. Lots of parking and room to line up inside, which has only happened once, in 2008, but people were just so pumped to vote for Obama it was practically a party-like atmosphere. Probably has something to do with the fact that the school is named for a major African American figure.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of Ohio and Iowa polling in the last month. I guess the desire to see how legit Clinton's leads in NC and FL and curiosity about Arizona and Georgia have overshadowed them.

Probably because they are not important to determining who wins this time around.

If Hillary win them, that means she is winning everything and they don't matter. If Donald wins them they don't matter because Hillary doesn't need them to win. If Donald wins the Presidency they didn't matter because that means he won some shocking blue states.

Cyanity

Banned
I don't think people appreciate how easy Donald Trump has made this election because the intensity of his hateful language has clouded how we see this election:

He bombed all 3 debates by any measure. His performance in the debates were terrible. The media reaction was that he was terrible. The insta-polls and real polls all showed him down worse after each debate.

He had several explosive leaks that helped to sink whatever GE appeal he had.

He failed to unify the republican party and caused tons of fractures within the republican party with some running their own "real" GOP candidate: McMuffin or whatever.

He sucks at fundraising and sucks even more at building a political infrastructure.

He has no GOTV operation.

He is defending and losing some traditionally red states.

He employs the worst people.

Donald Trump has made this election easier for Hillary. Any other republican would have caused a tighter race with a much smaller potential margin for victory.

This is the takeaway poligaf will end up agreeing with on November 9th.

Don't be ridiculous. I vote at an elementary school.

My polling location is at some church

Last two elections were church and library for me. Apparently in my neighborhood now its at like a beachhouse owned by the city, but I voted early so it doesn't matter
In Law & Order spirit, my early vote location was at a courthouse.

My polling place is a nursing home, lol.

Oh thank God. I'm not allowed within a hundred feet of the Junior High School anymore. I've been stuffing balled-up ballots in a potato gun firing my votes in from across the street.

My polling place is actually an elementary school within walking distance. Lots of parking and room to line up inside, which has only happened once, in 2008, but people were just so pumped to vote for Obama it was practically a party-like atmosphere. Probably has something to do with the fact that the school is named for a major African American figure.

Mine is a Nazarene Church... whatever that is.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of Ohio and Iowa polling in the last month. I guess the desire to see how legit Clinton's leads in NC and FL are and curiosity about Arizona and Georgia have overshadowed them.

Polling this year has been a mess all-around, there hasn't been much of it. (There's a good Nate Silver article here about how the lack of polling is good news for Trump)

This is the takeaway poligaf will end up agreeing with on November 9th.

I get the feeling that in 2020 everyone will be diabolising over Hillarys chances again while saying 2016 was a shoe-in the whole time, Trump was doomed from the start, and no one was panicking at all. And we go through this whole cycle again.

TreIII

I get the feeling that in 2020 everyone will be diabolising over Hillarys chances again while saying 2016 was a shoe-in the whole time, Trump was doomed from the start, and no one was panicking at all. And we go through this whole cycle again.

Oh, I'm not just getting the feeling. I'm practically COUNTING on this very thing to happen.

Times may change, but the "chicken littles" don't.

Dufoos

Banned
Eh, Puyallup is swingy. Pierce County went 54-43 for Obama in 2012, 59-40 for Cantwell, 51-48 for McKenna, and was basically 50-50 on gay marriage.

As someone in Seattle, Puyallup has seemed blue collar swingish, which means that Trump might possibly the county as a whole narrowly
Yeah I think Trump has a good shit of taking it.

Diablos

No kidding. There's a reason why winning the Senate and tilting the SCOTUS left is so vital

They better wrap this investigation up. I can only hope that they got the warrant so fast because the FBI wants to defy their own boss and his utter fuckery

Like all responsible Floriduh voters, I vote by mail-in ballot, which affords me the opportunity to spend my Election Day drunk, standing on the corner waving "The End Is Nigh" signs at passing school-children.

The rest of you folks need to get with the program.

Paches

No kidding. There's a reason why winning the Senate and tilting the SCOTUS left is so vital

They better wrap this investigation up. I can only hope that they got the warrant so fast because the FBI wants to defy their own boss and his utter fuckery

In the next week? Let's not get our hopes up, that doesn't seem at all realistic. This will go past election day and be a non-stop "controversy" stirred up by the right.

Retro

Modbot putting in the extra hours to contain the bedwetting to just PoliGAF.

I might just take a vacation from Off-Topic GAF this week, it's gonna be insufferable.

Like all responsible Floriduh voters, I vote by mail-in ballot, which affords me the opportunity to spend my Election Day drunk, standing on the corner waving "The End Is Nigh" signs at passing school-children.

The rest of you folks need to get with the program.
Yeah, when Florida is more advanced than your state at anything, your state has seriously dropped the ball. My voting place, for as long as I've been legally able to vote, has been my mailbox, because Oregon has at least entered the 20th century. Fix your systems people!

There's a week to go, both Clinton and Obama are going to Ohio this week

2016 was a shoe-in the whole time.

Strimei

Yeah, when Florida is more advanced than your state at anything, your state has seriously dropped the ball. My voting place, for as long as I've been legally able to vote, has been my mailbox, because Oregon has at least entered the 20th century. Fix your systems people!

Am I the only person who actually likes going to the polling place to vote?

Maybe its because my mother always worked election day when I was a kid and so I hung out there a lot when I was real little. I just like going, seeing people exercising their right to vote.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Maybe its because my mother always worked election day when I was a kid and so I hung out there a lot when I was real little. I just like going, seeing people exercising their right to vote.
I've never minded it, but I've also never waited more than like...ten minutes to vote

I get that, I'm fine. But two things: his internals either say FL/NC/NV are hopeless or they say he's pretty far ahead. Otherwise you wouldn't waste the final week outside of states you need and actually have a shot in.

Am I off?
I think the Clinton campaign puts very careful thought and consideration into where they invest their time and money.

I think the Trump campaign is in a perpetual state of throwing shit at a wall.

Don't read anything into where he's going.

We xan enjoy connecting with our neighbors, and engaging in our civic duties once we crush the disenfranchising GOP and make Election Day a national holiday. Until then, I enjoy being drunk and cantankerous.

Wilsongt

My polling place is a high school about a 15 minute drive from where I live, but I'll have to go to it coming from work, so it'll be closer to half an hour drive + wait time. I might be able to vote by 615 or 630.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

No I really like it. There's just something about it that appeals to me. I feel like my vote actually matters, in that moment I just don't get the people who don't think it matters. When I'm there that view makes 0 sense to me.

Ecotic

No I also like going in and voting. I feel like something can go wrong with mailing it in or voting absentee. I know when I vote in person the machine tells me my vote registered and I can leave in peace.

Oh man that WSJ article on the emails
Is that the one where they talk about the FBI being in the middle of a civil war because of a rogue faction desperately looking for something to hit Clinton on? I heard some discussion of it on Twitter, but I didn't see anything here about it.

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 2h2 hours ago
What you're seeing is a small group of aides who truly believe Trump's populism/non-trad pitch can put new things in play, in spite of data.

But list of hurdles goes on and on. HRC and Dems highly organized. Early vote. Top Ds hitting trail. FBI news also enthusing D voters...

Many of them describe the way to 270 not as a direct shot but a series of upsets and bank shots, of strong R showing + depressed D turnout

My read of Trumpland tonight: They know the path is very narrow. They see the polls, pub and priv. But they're scrambling map post-Comey...

Democrats (and many Rs) very skeptical about Trump camp's chatter/plunge into Dem states. Still, this is the Trump strategy for final week.

I think the Clinton campaign puts very careful thought and consideration into where they invest their time and money.

I think the Trump campaign is in a perpetual state of throwing shit at a wall.

Don't read anything into where he's going.

To add to this, I think it's very important for a campaign to hire people that share the same endgoal. For whatever controversy he started, Corey was probably Trump's best campaign manager because he seems like he actually likes Trump and wanted him to win. Manafort was basically a mercenary, and Bannon is in this to make his movement and base more popular (winning isn't exactly necessary for that, so it's secondary to Bannon).

If your staff isn't on the same page as you are, then you not only have to campaign, but you've got to keep an eye on their advice to screen it as either beneficial to you or beneficial to them. It's clear that Trump is at least a little paranoid about this; it comes through whenever shit leaks about internal fighting (and those leaks just spur more paranoia!).

Retro

I enjoy the physical act of going somewhere, seeing my name printed on the voter rolls, and stepping into the booth to exercise my democratic right to vote in person. This opinion would likely change drastically if I lived somewhere that wasn't a solid blue state with a fairly low population where voting is easy and relaxed.

It is? That's interesting. At least Ds seem to notice this was a blatant partisan attack.

Makes sense to me, if Dems feel they've been unfairly treated that's likely to encourage them to come out and vote.

Is that the one where they talk about the FBI being in the middle of a civil war because of a rogue faction desperately looking for something to hit Clinton on? I heard some discussion of it on Twitter, but I didn't see anything here about it.

- 650k emails on the laptop
- Metadata shows some of them "thousands" come from the private server
- Friction in the FBI from the email and foundation investigations
- Some tension between some in the FBI and the DOJ over whether or not to pursue the investigation into the foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom