• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

If Hillary wins this election is it a given she'll run again in 2020 or will the Democrats try to get a stronger candidate for next election? I was thinking about this the other day because, I hear a lot of people (Not specifically on GAF) say Hillary would be dead if the Republican's had a stronger candidate and that Trump was a gift to the Democrats this election and it made me wonder how 2020 could play out.

Let's dispel this notion that Republicans would have recognized the legitimacy of a Clinton victory even if her opponent was Jeb, Rubio or Kasich. It's true Trump is an especially bad candidate but it wasn't accident he became the nominee - the blame lies squarely on the Republican party. Furthermore, you can be sure if Clinton was running against this "perfect Republican candidate" and won, the Republican party would have just claimed that person was a loser too and that they knew said candidate had no chance. "Clinton would have lost if it was anybody else" is just what Republicans like to tell themselves to feel better and abdicate blame for the rise of Trump. Not that I disagree the race would likely be closer with another adversary but that's not the same as "layup for the Republicans"

Joeytj

Banned
Wow, you're right.

There has been, but very minimal, and mostly from the against side for marijuana and pro side for the death penalty.

The Prop 64 (marijuana) campaign has focused more on GOTV and less traditional campaigning, knowing that the type of voters they could convince and target through traditional TV ads are very easy to scare. And so far, it's worked.

What has helped is that the anti-Prop 64 coalition isn't very coordinated. Mostly just the private prison industry and a few law enforcement groups or tough on crime groups, but they've lost a ton of sway in California in recent years. The Bernie Sanders coalition has also latched unto this fiercely and has even energized more progressives and Democrats compared to other states, along with having a ton of other progressive measures on the ballot and having two Democratic candidates for Senator. Republicans in California practically have very little reason to go out and vote, unless they're Trump supporters, and maybe not even them anymore.

Nate Silver actually tweeted about this today, that Hillary's numbers in California are improving relative to the rest of the country, and that is increasing her chances of winning the popular vote but not the EV. It used to be Trump who was the favorite to have that outcome.

Pixieking

Banned
Tomorrow, we should get the first polls with the effect over the weekend.

Somebody posted earlier a Tweet from a reporter today, about how someone from Monmouth polling was on one of the Sunday weekend shows saying that they weren't picking up any major effect from the letter.

YouGov came out with a poll this morning too, about whether the letter would affect voters minds. It won't.

By today, the news about the letter was already half dragging the FBI, and the rest speculation and about how it might not even be significant. It's still a drag on the campaign, but don't think that this will be the only thing to dominate the news from here to election day, or that Trump will avoid more disasters.

Just a few days ago we thought these final two weeks were going to be boring.

God, give me boring... I want to play Civ VI, but I can't... Stop... Reading... PoliGaf.

Good news about polls - I'm not stressing particularly, but I am very curious.

Mostly Monday, maybe some on the morning of the election.

Cool cool. Thanks. :)

Joeytj

Banned
Reading about Nevada early vote, sounds like Hillary basically won?

Don't jinx it... But yeah, it's one of the few states where Hillary and the Dems are overperforming 2012, which is crazy considering that Nevada and Iowa were considered Trump's strongest states just a few months ago.

It now looks like Hillary's toughest state will be Ohio (although early voting is picking up there for Dems too) because Obama won it by just 2.5 points, and Iowa (but she has a cushion there. She can do worse than Obama in 2012 and still win).

I read up on that early vote analysis from the Huffington Post and other places, and Florida also still looks good, North Carolina holding on (Dems can't slack off there, tho), and Colorado too.

Alucard defending Russian war crimes, lololol.

Why do these people feel the need to lick Putin's asshole just because their Dear Leader loves Putin? Have some self-respect. You may want to get all brown people out of the country, but at least stop yourself from rimming Putin just because Trump likes him.

Common Core was one of Trump's big issues to start the campaign and he constantly complained about it in the primaries.

However, Trump clearly has no idea what Common Core is and has yet to have a single intelligible or accurate statement about the standards.

We're 8 days away from a presidential nominee having spent 18 months bashing something while showing no indication that he knows what he's bashing. That's just so impressive.

This is my favorite tweet about Common Core.

https://twitter.com/dmckinney218/status/786550642844336129

It's amazing in every way.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Alucard defending Russian war crimes, lololol.

Why do these people feel the need to lick Putin's asshole just because their Dear Leader loves Putin? Have some self-respect. You may want to get all brown people out of the country, but at least stop yourself from rimming Putin just because Trump likes him.

But mah guns!?

CCS

Banned
Is there anywhere that provides a decent and reasoned (i.e. not cherry picking stats for either side or trying to play up the horse race narrative) assessment of how the early vote is going in all the different swing states?

Random17

I just realized something, it would be significantly less stressful to just be a conservative.

Simply believe whatever I read on the internet, never attempt to challenge my worldview, and prefer shortsighted, simplistic answers.

Let's just do it. Stop being stressed about various policies or the direction of the country. Everyone gets a gun, states rights on policing, abortion, and voter suppression, and supply side economics all day.

Who is with me?
Conservatives, particularly religious ones think they are losing a culture war.

Imagine if the youth were conservative and when in power they would ban gay marriage. Imagine if the younger generation was more accepting of repealing the Voting Rights act, while upholding Citizens United in court as well as in spirit. A liberal's nightmare. This is what they are going through.

They are under constant stress. They think the country is being taken away from them, that people are committing sin en masse and that the Democrats are destroying religion one four year term at a time.

Liberals have a lot more to lose than conservatives right now; a single Republican president could set us back decades.

Cerium

Conservatives, particularly religious ones think they are losing a culture war.

Imagine if the youth were conservative and when in power they would ban gay marriage. Imagine if the younger generation was more accepting of repealing the Voting Rights act, while upholding Citizens United in court as well as in spirit. A liberal's nightmare. This is what they are going through.

They are under constant stress. They think the country is being taken away from them, that people are committing sin en masse and that the Democrats are destroying religion one four year term at a time.

Liberals have a lot more to lose than conservatives right now; a single Republican president could set us back decades.
I came of age during the Bush years and that was what made me decide that the mission of my life would be to destroy religion one four year term at a time. I'm concerned about these younger generations who won't have any memory of a Republican president, no frame of reference to understand how bad it really is.

Cerium

There is no oppo. The plan is clearly to use this FBI thing to frighten Democrats out of complacency and hope it hasn't actually moved the needle for Trump.

Cerium

I personally don't think Comey is politically motivated as much as he is incompetent. However, sacrifices must be made. For the greater good.

Diablos

Enough about Comey, time to shift attention back to Trump.
That's the problem here. By this happening it's gonna be impossible for all the hysteria to die down and Dems across the board just shifting all their focus back to Trump. This changed the dynamic and it makes them have to constanty call out Comey and try to go against Trump at the same time. It's messy and it sucks

Republicans are performing better in EV compared to 2012.
I thought Dems were crushing the early vote in NC right now?

sazzy

I posted this a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find it again, so just going to type it out...

1. Hillary gets elected
2. FBI indicts Hillary
3. Obama pardons President-elect Hillary
4. Hillary gets sworn in as President

Lets see if that happens.

I posted this a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find it again, so just going to type it out...

1. Hillary gets elected
2. FBI indicts Hillary

Her presidency would bascialy be over before it started

Cerium

1. Hillary gets elected
2. FBI indicts Hillary

The timeframe alone is basically impossible.

But under this fantasy scenario Obama wouldn't pardon her and we'd probably have President Kaine.

Diablos

So indictment before the electors vote for her basically disqualifies her from the Presidency.

They don't do it until December, right? That's enough time for Comey to cook up some bullshit. I don't trust him.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You know how bad this new email thing is? So bad that I can't even recall any controversial thing that Trump's said since Friday.

Maledict

I don't think this is about Hillary being president. No serious republican operator wants Trump as president. This is about making the race closer, ensuring the house stays republican and hopefully the senate as well.

It's appalling and disgusting, and Comey should be hounded out of office for interfering in an election this way. But I don't think the plan is to stop Hillary, it's to stop her winning bigly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom