• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukkoyaki

So things aren't looking good for early voting? This is totally opposite of what I thought was happening : (
Looking average is probably the better word. Nevada already looks like it may be won. Both parties are voting more this cycle in NC, dems started weak in Ohio but are picking up some steam.

Amir0x

Banned
So things aren't looking good for early voting? This is totally opposite of what I thought was happening : (
Started out ok...getting less ok as time goes on. We will still win. It is the Senate at risk...which is disastrous of course. Cross your fingers gonna be close in the Senate :p

sazzy

tapper being a dick

yUGoY7.png

mclem

Just saw a parade of aerial ads (planes towing banners) past my work in Philly.

ASIAN AMERICANS VOTE FOR TRUMP

BLACK AMERICANS VOTE FOR TRUMP

WOMEN VOTE FOR TRUMP

[fourth one was illegible because the text was all red]

VOTE TRUMP - BRING JOBS BACK HOME​

Was a fun novelty.

Silly Trump. Everyone knows that people in a stagnant, declining civilisation don't look up.

Pyrokai

Started out ok...getting less ok as time goes on. We will still win. It is the Senate at risk...which is disastrous of course. Cross your fingers gonna be close in the Senate :p

Ugh.....a shame. A week ago I was hoping to sweep it and pick up a bigger chunk of the House, too. What a difference a week makes!

Edit: And like I've been saying for a while, I'm not worried about her losing. I'm worried about the Senate so shit can actually get done (hopefully). I also wanted a massive pounding to this far right Republican Party.

So, is there real thought that Clinton could lose NC, or are we mostly just concerned about downticket there? I have to admit, I am a little confused, too.

BiggNife

So a lot of polls are saying that the Comey thing probably isn't affecting the election that much yet early polling is disappointing compared to what everyone expected a week ago

I'm confused

Just saw a bunch of old white dudes on a street corner holding up signs saying, "Blacks and LGBT for Trump!"

I just shook my head as I walked past them.

Amir0x

Banned
I am personally extremely concerned - or bedwetting in GAF parlance - about the downballots based on the data im seeing posted online.

We really dont need to be concerned about the presidency though.

Zukkoyaki

So a lot of polls are saying that the Comey thing probably isn't affecting the election that much yet early polling is disappointing compared to what everyone expected a week ago

I'm confused
We haven't see a noticeable change from early voting prior to Comey and after Comey

I am personally extremely concerned - or bedwetting in GAF parlance - about the downballots based on the data im seeing posted online.

We really dont need to be concerned about the presidency though.

Done deal:
IL
WI

Reid machine:
NV

Win 2 of these:
PA
NC
NH
MO

Kaine is VP and has the golden vote.

And I'm assuming Murphy and Strickland are DOA (well Strickland is)

House was never really in play

P.S.: Bedwetting was never a GAF thing. It originally came from David Plouffe (many Dem bedwetters out there) and we used it out of respect to Diablos and retired the _____sing.

But still, early voting is not as good as expected? Was that just misreporting, or was misinformation being spread about good early voting turn-out? That's what confusing me.

It may be regressing to means independently of Comey and with a lot of confounding factors. That still means Clinton wins in CO and NV, looking better in OH, looking less better in NC.

A few years ago here in TX we passed an amendment to make gay marriage even more illegal. It was already illegal of course, but there were concerns that it wasn't illegal enough, so we amended the state constitution just to be on the safe side. Small government at its finest!

I hate the whole idea of putting state constitution amendments up to referendums. I can understand having non-amendment laws and small stuff up to referendums, but I am 100% certain that putting AMENDMENTS up to referendums is the sort of shit the Founders DIDN'T want and for very good reason.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
But still, early voting is not as good as expected? Was that just misreporting, or was misinformation being spread about good early voting turn-out? That's what confusing me.
I don't actually know how to interpret anything, and godcohn has said early voting looks Ok for Clinton in Nc for example, but I seem to be reading repeatedly that the electorate looks less diverse than last time. Apparently black turnout is down in nc a lot and Ohio a lot. Now in nc obviously there was a cutback in hours, but it's super concerning to me and I'd like to see Sunday data in nc. Where is it? Is everyone asleep?

Y2Kev

It may be regressing to means independently of Comey and with a lot of confounding factors. That still means Clinton wins in CO and NV, looking better in OH, looking less better in NC.
Less better is concerning to me because it looked bad. :)

Of course as I post this McDonald just updated and said it's good but more white people voted this year vs last. Lol come on.

Less better is concerning to me because it looked bad. :)

Of course as I post this McDonald just updated and said it's good but more white people voted this year vs last. Lol come on.

I don't know if I should be concerned there or not. All depends on what kind of white people we are talking about, I guess.

I don't actually know how to interpret anything, and godcohn has said early voting looks Ok for Clinton in Nc for example, but I seem to be reading repeatedly that the electorate looks less diverse than last time. Apparently black turnout is down in nc a lot and Ohio a lot. Now in nc obviously there was a cutback in hours, but it's super concerning to me and I'd like to see Sunday data in nc. Where is it? Is everyone asleep?

I was looking at Mecklenburg County's (Charlotte) early voting statistics yesterday. Through the first 7 days of early voting, the counts trailed 2012. Down roughly 13.3%. With the opening of additional sites, the tables have turned. Over the past 4 days, 2016 has caught up to 2012 and is now 3.6% ahead of the pace.

Code:
Day	2012	RSum	2016	RSum	Pct
1	15127	15127	13459	13459	89.0%
2	13961	29088	13043	26502	91.1%
3	11310	40398	9584	36086	89.3%
4	5468	45866	5573	41659	90.8%
5	14625	60491	12748	54407	89.9%
6	15314	75805	12698	67105	88.5%
7	15351	91156	11932	79037	86.7%
8	15130	106286	21815	100852	94.9%
9	15319	121605	21485	122337	100.6%
10	13260	134865	15467	137804	102.2%
11	6866	141731	8964	146768	103.6%
12	16979	158710			0.0%
13	16297	175007			0.0%
14	16398	191405			0.0%
15	18204	209609			0.0%
16	20594	230203			0.0%
17	20800	251003			0.0%

RSum = Running Sum

2016 Data: http://apps.meckboe.org/Pages/Election/EarlyVoting/2016NovGen.htm
2012 Data: http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/cou...ng/2012 Early Voting - General Statistics.pdf

With any luck, the rest of the state is similarly regaining lost ground.

I seriously doubt that Clinton's campaign will allow for lower turnout than 2012 among ANY demographics.

I bet the numbers just look the way they do because there have to be Trump fans who never bothered to unregister from the Democratic Party even though they should have years ago.

There is absolutely no way that the conservative side is energized this election (except in maybe Ohio) and we know that the Trump campaign has no GOTV.

If I end up wrong when the final results come in then fuck America.

Zukkoyaki

It's based heavily on their own numbers, which had Clinton ahead about 6 points, but the Upshot is monitoring NC early voting. A lot of great info here:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/north-carolina-early-vote-tracker.html

I don't know if I should be concerned there or not. All depends on what kind of white people we are talking about, I guess.

They address that in their tracking. As of yesterday morning, they believe the white crowd that's voting early isn't going Trump is large numbers.

Edit: Worded it wrong

break out the pamperz:

NC #souls2polls 41,974 in-person #earlyvote Sun, +6,010 in 2012, 31.9% Black, 48.7% Dem. 36.0% Black, 53.7% Dem in 2012 -> more Whites voted

6000 more than the same Sunday in 2012, but less African-American and less Dem.

That being said, percentages may be deceiving becuase unaffiliated numbers were through the roof:

NC #souls2polls 2016 Sunday: real action among unaffiliated. 11,067 voted or 26.4%, +3,147 vs 2012 when 22.0% voted

The big unknown in NC early voting is just what the split is for the unaffiliateds.

The issue is, there are a lot more unaffiliated voters this year in NC than in 2012. Yesterday was a good day for us. White turnout was also higher than in 2012. However, unaffiliated voter turnout was a lot higher than in 2012. Based on what we know, that's probably good for us, because the largest increases in unaffiliated voters came from young people. On the whole, Dems were up 1.2k from 2012, so there is no evidence that the Comey shit show made a difference.

Also, in Nevada, the firewall is now at 47,000 votes. Ralston says that we'll hit 60,000 at least. Anything above 50k is essentially impossible for Donald to overcome. So we're doing quite well there.

Florida, again, is going to come down to what all these unaffiliated voters are doing. We''re running very well Dem/Rep. However, in 2012, Unaffiliated voters made up about 100,000 of the early vote. This year, it's above 700,000. While we don't know how they're voting, we do know they're a lot younger than the electorate as a whole, a 1/3rd of them are Hispanic, and something like 1/5 is African American.

GOP currently has a 9k vote lead. Outstanding absentee ballots favor Dems by a margin of 71k votes. We won the I-4 Corridor again this weekend (EVEN POLK COUNTY!) So, the huge number of NPA is the real question mark here.

break out the pamperz:

6000 more than the same Sunday in 2012, but less African-American and less Dem.

That being said, percentages may be deceiving becuase unaffiliated numbers were through the roof:

The big unknown in NC early voting is just what the split is for the unaffiliateds.

Badly need age breakdown for unaffiliated

Grief.exe

The issue is, there are a lot more unaffiliated voters this year in NC than in 2012. Yesterday was a good day for us. White turnout was also higher than in 2012. However, unaffiliated voter turnout was a lot higher than in 2012. Based on what we know, that's probably good for us, because the largest increases in unaffiliated voters came from young people. On the whole, Dems were up 1.2k from 2012, so there is no evidence that the Comey shit show made a difference.

Also, in Nevada, the firewall is now at 47,000 votes. Ralston says that we'll hit 60,000 at least. Anything above 50k is essentially impossible for Donald to overcome. So we're doing quite well there.

Florida, again, is going to come down to what all these unaffiliated voters are doing. We''re running very well Dem/Rep. However, in 2012, Unaffiliated voters made up about 100,000 of the early vote. This year, it's above 700,000. While we don't know how they're voting, we do know they're a lot younger than the electorate as a whole, a 1/3rd of them are Hispanic, and something like 1/5 is African American.

GOP currently has a 9k vote lead. Outstanding absentee ballots favor Dems by a margin of 71k votes. We won the I-4 Corridor again this weekend (EVEN POLK COUNTY!) So, the huge number of NPA is the real question mark here.

I believe GOP generally takes the early vote lead on Florida, but that margin is indicative of a Florida lost. Generally they are ahead by 30-40k at this point, not less than 10k.

Oriel

You know how Donald Trump's support vacillates between 36-44% depending on which scandal he's trying to get through?

I've come to realize that those 8% are utter, cowardly turds and might actually be the true villains of this election.

The deplorables have no platform and no political will. It's the 8% that grants them legitimacy.

I've long been curious how there's still so many still torn between Hillary and Trump. The two candidates are so diametrically opposite to one another to the point of no real overlap in policies or position. It's like these undecided have split personality disorder or something.

Badly need age breakdown for unaffiliated
CwGV0oLVIAAnoq-.jpg

Also, when it comes to new registrations:
Cv-0p0XUIAAF5Ue.jpg

I believe GOP generally takes the early vote lead on Florida, but that margin is indicative of a Florida lost. Generally they are ahead by 30-40k at this point, not less than 10k.
We should have a 3-4% lead by the end of early voting. However, there are a hell of a lot more NPA voters than this time last cycle. The in person early voting is making the electorate a lot more white than just the absentee voting. THat's what we want to see.

Also, we are maintaining a slightly lead in Duval. If Trump has a huge surge of white people, he needs to be doing a lot better there than he is.

Blader

I'm really confused by all the early vote handwringing because I could swear just 24 hours ago you guys were talking about how Hillary is leading early voting in NV and NC, and that FL Dems have closed the gap with FL GOP from 5ish percent to 1.7 something (and that's with Dems still winning FL last time around).

Boke1879

I was guessing some anti trump line will be started today, to combat the emails. Has it started?

Nothing will come out until probably Thursday or Friday. The email shit isn't swinging anything really and if there is something to drop it's best to do it closer to the weekend so you can dominate the day it goes live and the weekend going into election day.

Man, the lack of high quality polling is really taking its toll this election. It's putting a lot of onus on one or two polling firms and a lot of shitty firms are getting more exposure.

Hillary is leading early voting in NC. The issue is if she's able to get far enough ahead to win on election day, and getting enough Dem growth to help drag Ross across the finish line.

I'm really confused by all the early vote handwringing because I could swear just 24 hours ago you guys were talking about how Hillary is leading early voting in NV and NC, and that FL Dems have closed the gap with FL GOP from 5ish percent to 1.7 something (and that's with Dems still winning FL last time around).

NV is looking like a lock. You can feel pretty good about coloring that in blue while trying to figure out panic scenarios on 270towin.

Different people are doing different handwringing?

Man, the lack of high quality polling is really taking its toll this election. It's putting a lot of onus on one or two polling firms and a lot of shitty firms are getting more exposure.

I feel that the Upshot/Siena polls were great right up through that Florida poll a few days ago.

bigger issue is that there are so many hack R-lean pollsters out there messing with averages. Fewer D-leaning garbage polls than I remember from previous cycles.

Don't read into it too much. PoliGaf likes to pretend to read tea leaves. Then we accidentally piss on them, the pot, and all the cups and complain that the tea is ruined. All knowing that it was just the little tikes set not the actual tea set sitting over at the adults table.

Iolo

We're practically reading tea leaves right now. The conclusions we draw are influenced by our current mood.

edit: ^ hey tea leaves was my line

Y2Kev

I'm just trying to reconcile how public polling always has Hillaremail leading among those who early vote while the party data looks sort of mediocre. I guess it could be NPA/unaffiliated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom