• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

It doesn't matter if any of this in particular sticks because it's going to be an absolute onslaught until election day. Comey was the GOP hail mary.

I fully expect this russian thing to get much stranger and deeper within the next 2 days

Yea. Do people really think this is all that there is? and I believe as people do more digging this will get even more crazy. Also all the crazy shit is about to drop.

Wake County NC early voting Monday 23,682 #wow cumulative 173,668

big time numbers out of raleigh today-great news because we should win Wake county by 20+ this year.

Wondering about Mecklenburg and Guilford-if also high today, gives credence to "dem vote will catch up as we get closer to election day" theory.

But "secret hotline to Moscow" is pretty catchy. You don't need to explain how DNS works any more than the details of her email server's sendmail or postfix config.

The battlefield was already prepared with Reid's flamethrower letter and the Clinton campaigns peppering of the news cycle with "questions" about Trump's Russian connections. We've already seen months of this line of questioning, so it's a tailor-made dot to add to the narrative the Dems have been laying out for the media. They don't have to explain the HOW, just that it's part of the story that's been running all year. Add the fact that GOP Primary rivals were looking into the angle and you've got "Both Sides" covered as well.

Expect silence from Morning Ho, and you'll know it's concerning all the right people.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
big time numbers out of raleigh today-great news because we should win Wake county by 20+ this year.

Wondering about Mecklenburg and Guilford-if also high today, gives credence to "dem vote will catch up as we get closer to election day" theory.

are dems drunk or something

Teggy

Wow, Rachel started out with Andrew Johnson and came all the way around to Dem lawsuits against the Trump campaign for voter intimidation.

kess

Well, this next week looks like it's going to be the most interesting political week of our lives

I shall cherish the golden days of Poligaf bedwetting

Reid's letter is the only thing that pierces 2 hours of Anderson Coopers bullshit about how bad are emails for Hillary. Holy shit guy get with the program.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
In Colorado, Rs gained today but Ds are still 2.5%+. Republicans will need to be at +7 per Michael McDonald for things to be competitive on election day. I don't know if they get there.

Iowa looks less bad but still bad.

NC not sure.

Florida...need the schale.

It barely address just one aspect of the story and the initial server. There's a lot more evidence in that Slate article then just "maybe they were emailing?".

Am I understanding the end of their response correctly? "The Trump Organization is not sending or receiving any communications from this email server"

Are they admitting that the "IP address in Russia" is an email server? Because that's kinda what it's sounding like to me.

If so, ROFL

Reid's letter is the only thing that pierces 2 hours of Anderson Coopers bullshit about how bad are emails for Hillary. Holy shit guy get with the program.

This is Christmas, Hanukkah and Boxing Day (whatever the fuck that is) all wrapped into a single week, for political media. Let em get it outta their system. I have a feeling tomorrow when Comey is hiding in a corner, Clinton's camp will be talking about nothing but Trump/Russia, and a media with almost nothing left to speculate about since the story broke Friday, will be salivating for new nuggets of geeky tech lingo and Russian IP maps

wat

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-novel_us_580a62bce4b0cdea3d874ca9

When Jeffrey Robinson’s Trump Tower debuted in July 2012, it failed to receive much attention, despite boasting the tagline, “The sexiest novel of the decade,” and an endorsement from Donald Trump himself.

“Jeffrey Robinson’s novel Trump Tower bares it all,” Trump writes in the only review blurb on the the back cover. “Here is the drama of the Ultra Rich, the Ultra Powerful, and the Ultra Beautiful who call the most glamorous address in the country their home. I can’t wait to see it on television!”

One of the only critical reviews came from The New York Post, which claimed, “The red room of pain in Fifty Shades of Grey would fit right into Trump Tower.” The review only discussed events that happen within the first few pages of the novel, such as a tenant of New York City’s Trump Tower being held against her will in an act that’s depicted as sexy BDSM but is not consensual. This clear moment of sexual assault is presented nonchalantly in the book.

Although the book depicts the graphic sex lives of those living and working in Trump Tower (such as an employee having sex on the set of “Celebrity Apprentice”), Trump’s real-life building continues to promote the book prominently in its retail areas.

Just last year, the book was featured on the top shelf of the Trump Store in the building, above all other books by Trump. As of this month, Trump Tower is advertised in a display case right next to the main floor’s Trump Bar and was one of the only books still sold at the tower’s store (now largely a holding place for “Make America Great Again” campaign materials).

The Huffington Post obtained advertising materials that market Trump as the author of Trump Tower and reference a registered ISBN different than the eventual Trump Tower. The U.S. ISBN Agency, an organization that’s responsible for the assignment of these numbers, confirmed that the ISBN is registered in their database. “The title was still on a Not Yet Published Status when it became unavailable,” further clarified a representative from Perseus Books Group, the publishing house responsible for both iterations of Trump Tower.

On this original version of the book, which was supposed to be available in 2011, Trump’s name is listed as the primary author above Robinson’s, although the covers are nearly identical otherwise.

Libraries and booksellers who received this advertising copy later got an update that the publication was canceled, only to get a Trump Tower without Trump’s name a year later.

Trump Tower is an incredibly sexist novel. Just about every single female character’s level of attractiveness is described, while male characters get little physical description. Bust-size is repeatedly mentioned with lines like, “She was dressed in white, with her blouse open to her navel, which did nothing to hide her small breasts.”

Even when a female character is briefly mentioned, much of the writing space is used to describe her appearance, often with a term like “plump.” That descriptor is used for three different women in the book.

The novel also spends quite a bit of time describing various Trump properties, such as Mar-a-Lago and Trump National Golf Club. The main storyline focuses on the employees and tenants of New York’s Trump Tower, but Trump himself pops up from time to time to dismiss a tenant as a crazy person, to discuss whether to fire someone, or to talk about his sex life.

The dominant arc of the novel follows the building manager as he tries to keep the tower running smoothly. The novel opens with the manager telling himself, “Donald Trump only thinks he rules Trump Tower.” The book concludes, more than 400 pages later, with the manager overcoming multiple obstacles, only to have Trump undermine his authority in the very last paragraph.

Numerous typographical errors, bizarre “cameo” appearances by celebrities (not least among them Bill Clinton) and abrupt tonal shifts further make finishing the novel a challenge. The first section of the book is vaguely in the genre of erotica, with numerous descriptions of naked women and sex scenes. The remainder of the novel devolves into office politics, trade deals and a murder investigation. The building manager is a suspect in that murder, but is cleared when the cops just give up on the case. Nobody in the novel seemed to care about the murdered woman, so it’s fine.

As juicy as that Russia story is, I don't think it sticks unless there's something more concrete than a guy's quote.

I bet this is the beginning of the "shot & chaser" that Rick and Luntz were hinting at. The "shot" is the accusation that Trump has actual ties to the Kremlin.
And I'm thinking the "chaser" is the solidification of the evidence which might include the blackmail the Kremlin has on Trump.

There are reporters who have obsessively covered the email story who are talking about the Trump Russia stuff with "well, it looks bad, but there's no real story here."

Motherfucker, you have spent years on Hillary emailing people and how it looks bad or something even though nothing happened and it was nothing. I am going to have a stroke.

Mecklenburg just updated with 20,379 votes cast today.

This puts Mecklenburg up to 167,147 early votes so far, 5.3% ahead of 2012's pace (158,710).

I posted earlier in the day about Mecklenburg catching up and passing 2012 once the additional polling places opened.

In Colorado, Rs gained today but Ds are still 2.5%+. Republicans will need to be at +7 per Michael McDonald for things to be competitive on election day. I don't know if they get there.

Iowa looks less bad but still bad.

NC not sure.

Florida...need the schale.
"Still bad"? We're right around where we need to be to win unless the GOP overperforms (which they haven't been).

There are reporters who have obsessively covered the email story who are talking about the Trump Russia stuff with "well, it looks bad, but there's no real story here."

Motherfucker, you have spent years on Hillary emailing people and how it looks bad or something even though nothing happened and it was nothing. I am going to have a stroke.

Wow. I never saw you curse like this in the NBA threads when talking Utar.

:O

Iolo

The book concludes, more than 400 pages later, with the manager overcoming multiple obstacles, only to have Trump undermine his authority in the very last paragraph.

Trump ex machina!

Nothing short of a hidden audio recording between Putin and Trump will really impact this election at this point but if concrete ties to Russia are found showing Trump's campaign organizing directly with Moscow, I want the entire Republican party held accountable. The RNC has lots to answer for without the Russian ties, but this goes so far beyond that.

You know, I'm kind of disappointed Trump's camp didn't use more Cyber lingo to wave off the Russian bank server issue.
Something like Trump's server was behind seven proxies and was cross linked between firewalls which fed into a L3 switch which happened to share a backbone link to Russia. Which was completely out of Trumps control.

Boke1879

Either way I can easily see Clinton and her surrogates pushing this Russia angle. It's an easy thing to do. You play it like Trump is in cahoots with Russia and they are influencing the election. Push more dems to vote because of this.

Also call out republicans as well.

Iolo

Prescient! If these kind of numbers hold for the rest of the week, then I am leaning more towards the Upshot poll numbers (and a recount-necessary narrow Ross win) vs. the more conservative other results.

Man. Then we have to worry about the Upshot +4 Trump in FL.

There are a decent amount of sources in this story. This is not going away so easy....

But all the key accusations in the story are presented as-is from the account of an unnamed "spook".

I have no reason to doubt the veracity of his claims, but I'm partisan. It's too easy to hand wave away by the opposition.

The server's really a good start but as soon as you start talking about DNS look ups and Pings you lose a ton of people (as evidenced by EMAILS).

Hope there's more.

Snake

Folks, please don't get too hyped about the Trump-Russia server stuff. There's nothing there that's solid enough for major news organizations to wade in and make claims/charges this serious.

And even if more evidence does surface before the week passes, it all amounts to very little anyway. The kind of stuff being speculated about here is no different from the sort of foreign communication/exchange you'd see in any locker room across the country.

As juicy as that Russia story is, I don't think it sticks unless there's something more concrete than a guy's quote.
This election cycle has killed my love for politics and talking them. I am concerned with Hillary and I hate Trump. We go from Barrack Obama and Mitt Romney, to this. What in the fuck happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom