• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone in the Kremlin leak Richard Burr and Roy Blunt's emails (which they probably stole)?

I mean, come on, throw us a bone here. I'm sure those guys use racial slurs in >30% of their emails. You just need to give us a few.

Serious question, guys.

I'm thinking about taking the day off work to help get people to the polls--people who normally can't but would if they could.

What can I do? I live in Columbus, Ohio and I want to help drive turnout.
Contact the Franklin County Dems or your local Hillary offices. They can let you know where they need you. Fiance is going to drive people to the polls with me on election day.

Pixieking

Banned
NPA early voting is through the roof in FL and NC though. Is that not the case in Ohio?

edit: ya'll need to go on a long walk this afternoon. Then make phone calls to FL.

Well, the Tweet was just a generic "early voting down" kinda thing, so without knowing more, it's hard to say... But some were leaping immediately to "Ohio lost!". Which it may be, but without harder evidence, we should be wary of just bedwetting-up the thread. :)

I kinda see where pigeon is coming from. Some people are being sarcastic and some people in reaction to all of this is freaking out and it's hard for some to discern what's going on if you're just entering the thread.

Even for some of us who are in the thread constantly, it's sometimes hard to know what's going on... Timezone differences (people in the US waking up, watching Morning-fucking-Joe, etc) mean that it's hard to know what's pointless bedwetting, what's serious worrying, and what's sarcasm. :/

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think reality is there just isn't enough good polling so a google consumer survey in South Dakota kinda matters.

Posting again. PPP bringing some much needed hopium.

I don't know if this is hopium since the GOP coming home could be bad for the Senate seats we are trying to get. People need to get over it that this isn't going to be a 10+ win though. Looking more like a 5-7 point win assuming we get good turnout. Hoping more for the upper ranges of that to take the Senate. This race is still pretty much stagnant though with only the percentages of winning the Senate moving this whole cycle.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What the actual fuck is going on.

IN Senate gone bad? Florida now red?

Serious bed wetting happening rn

Apparently the Enthusiasm among the dems dipped after the Clinton emails. They are probably overreacting like some folks in this thread who actually believe people other than just hardcore republicans actually care about the emails.

So that enthusiasm dip showed in the polls, but in the end its just dems bedwetting for no reason because they think a candidate who has managed to insult blacks, hispanics, women and muslims is going to win most of the swing states.

The enthusiasm will shoot back up by the end of this week after they see their queen rip Comey to shreds and realize its all a bunch of nothingburger.

Every knowledgeable source on twitter says it's basically excess money. I still think they should have done an infomercial like Obama but who knows if that actually did anything in 2008.

Apparently the Enthusiasm among the dems dipped after the Clinton emails. They are probably overreacting like some folks in this thread who actually believe people other than just hardcore republicans actually care about the emails.

So that enthusiasm dip showed in the polls, but in the end its just dems bedwetting for no reason because they think a candidate who has managed to insult blacks, hispanics, women and muslims is going to win most of the swing states.

The enthusiasm will shoot back up by the end of this week after they see their queen rip Comey to shreds and realize its all a bunch of nothingburger.

There is so much partisan blindness in this post it's incredible. Judging by the polls asking about the issue, it's clear more than just hardcore republicans care. Secondly, we already know early voting among blacks is at least down from 2012 so that is disappointing on a whole number of levels.

I'm still relatively new to election polling and this craziness, why is 538 showing a 69.9% - 71.8% win chance for Clinton when The Upshot, PEC, and HuffPo are 88%, 99%, and 98.2% respectively?

I mean this sincerely.

This election has me profoundly despondent about the future.

I know a lot of it is because I just watch the Leo Global warming doc and really am feeling much more pessimisic about our ability to act on climate change do to white anxiety

This isn't healthy and I fear its not going away but its personally effected me profoundly and I don't like it.

I know clinton is likely going to win and the senate is 50-50 but still we can't do this every 4 years...

The thing that bothers me the most is well-to-do conservative never trumpers pretending liberals acting this way is "sad" or putting too much stock in politics. Screw off, you're fine either way.

I mean this sincerely.

I know a lot of it is because I just watch the Leo Global warming doc and really am feeling much more pessimisic about our ability to act on climate change do to white anxiety

This isn't healthy and I fear its not going away but its personally effected me profoundly and I don't like it.

I know clinton is likely going to win and the senate is 50-50 but still we can't do this every 4 years...

It's pretty depressing how climate change wasn't even discussed this election season.

GOP/Alt-right tear factories:

freerepublic
r/thedonald

Any others?

/pol/

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
.@DarrellIssa is a very good man. Help him win his congressional seat in California.

Help or hurt?

Has there been polling of that race?

Edit: I see it's a close race.

China criticized Trump today for being a dumbfuck with regards to climate change.

Come on, hack him, China. Let's do this.

I'm still relatively new to election polling and this craziness, why is 538 showing a 69.9% - 71.8% win chance for Clinton when The Upshot, PEC, and HuffPo are 88%, 99%, and 98.2% respectively?

538 assumes extremely high variance because older elections had polling errors. The 538 model strongly believes in "momentum" also. The other models consider momentum to be fake and considers polls to be accurate.

trends

DXb9n7m.png

It's pretty depressing how Climate change wasn't even discussed this election season.

the fact that we got 'national debt' as the long term "ohnoes" question in the third debate instead of climate change was criminal. The only other thing omitted was the complete silence on American involvement in Saudi Arabia's Yemen war crimes.

samn

I mean this sincerely.

The thing that bothers me the most is well-to-do conservative never trumpers pretending liberals acting this way is "sad" or putting too much stock in politics. Screw off, you're fine either way.

I hope Clinton wins but I'm under no illusions she's capable of solving any problems. and her foreign policy will probably be dangerous and ill judged. People voting for Trump aren't just going to calm down and come to their senses and at some point there'll be no more kicking the can down the road. It's very difficult to have much hope.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just don't know how it breaks through. Its literally my most important issue.

I like the earth and its a simple fix. Tax carbon, cut taxes on everything else!

The fact we didn't get a real question on it during the debates is just disgusting. This is seriously something that should have at least warranted one questions in one of the debates.

I mean this sincerely.

Policy took a back seat this election and that's really sad. Especially since Hillary is so good at making policy.

25-30 million Americans being drug addicts and medical costs exploding because of obesity were also not brought up and were important things.

Had to talk more about the emailz.

China criticized Trump today for being a dumbfuck with regards to climate change.

Come on, hack him, China. Let's do this.

538 assumes extremely high variance because older elections had polling errors. The 538 model strongly believes in "momentum" also. The other models consider momentum to be fake and considers polls to be accurate.
What exactly do you/they mean by momentum?

Also, what's the tract record for these four aggregates? Have they been right in the last three elections a week out?

Help or hurt?

Has there been polling of that race?

Oh that is funny. I went back home last week to Vista, CA which is in his district. He is spending a lot of money to try to keep his seat, with many ads running in the San Diego tv stations. Also a lot of developers in the care wanting him to win, some of the larger developments there were just accosted by Issa signs. He has a very heterogenous district since the redistricting, and if latinos are voting in record numbers, I could see it very well flipping.

Basically zero trump signs.

Also, what's the tract record for these four aggregates? Have they been right in the last three elections a week out?

Momentum means that if some pollsters start showing Trump with better polls than their last poll, 538 will start adjusting the rest of the polls towards Trump on the basis that they will also show movement to Trump. (The same is true for Hillary)

Well, yeah. They want to keep this shit in the news. If they dumped it all at once then no one would be talking about this anymore.

And yeah, wikileaks has nothing. If there was a smoking gun they would have released it weeks ago.

But for maximum effect, wouldn't the release of the smoking gun (if they had it) -the legit November Surprise -tomorrow or Thursday be perfect for them, at least optics-wise? It seems it would solidify Dump's chances of winning.

I almost threw up in my mouth typing that last part. ugh!

Momentum means that if some pollsters start showing Trump with better polls than their last poll, 538 will start adjusting the rest of the polls towards Trump on the basis that they will also show movement to Trump. (The same is true for Hillary)
So it ends up weighting outlier polls disproportionately?

Zukkoyaki

Basically if the same poll had Clinton higher in their previous poll, they adjust the new one an extra point or so assuming momentum and trends.

Example:

October Poll: Clinton +7
Clinton 47
Trump 40
Adjusted Leader: Clinton +7

November Poll: Clinton +5
Clinton 46
Trump 41
Adjusted Leader: Clinton +4

So it ends up weighting outlier polls disproportionately?

Not necessarily but they do react harder to polling variance and noise which seems silly given how noisy polling is in general

Iolo

This is not a reasonable viewpoint. Silver's model may be too sensitive or whatever you want to say, but he's not setting his primary model to get clicks. The now-cast, maybe. His various punditry pronouncements and harping on extremely unlikely electoral college scenarios, sure. But his polls-only model, he made a hypothesis, set it and is just feeding data into it to test it. Dismissing everything he does as ESPN-related is as obnoxious as Nate Silver can be on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom