• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

But for maximum effect, wouldn't the release of the smoking gun (if they had it) -the legit November Surprise -tomorrow or Thursday be perfect for them, at least optics-wise? It seems it would solidify Dump's chances of winning.

I almost threw up in my mouth typing that last part. ugh!

Not really? I feel like if they had a smoking gun they would want it out before early voting.

By tomorrow or Thursday a good chunk of the country has already voted. Seems kinda silly to wait that long.

I feel like it would have made a lot more sense to release a few weeks ago when Trump was being destroyed by oppo. He could've actually made a full recovery in the polls if something truly damning was released by WL. But the fact that nothing they've released so far has had anything incriminating really makes me thing they're all bark and no bite.

BadRNG

I still like watching Nate's model. It's just his punditry that is annoying. Look at his latest tweet:
6673b2f555.jpg

How can you argue that is anything but quest for clicks.

Syncytia

with Donald Trump as the GOP candidate.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS COUNTRY. This should have been a fucking landslide. Shame on the USA. Shame on Republican voters.

Just it being Hillary has a pretty big effect too, though. Many Republicans hate her with a burning passion and refuse to endorse her even when they say they won't vote for Trump.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I still like watching Nate's model. It's just his punditry that is annoying. Look at his latest tweet:

It is, but I'm not sure what's a better title based on the context of the chat. They discuss the implications of national polls tightening.

tuffy

And Trump losing by anything less than a landslide will mean that the deplorables won't get the message that most of the country is sick of them.

Fuck that. I don't care if there isn't any more oppo. I need a landslide that lets me know that my country isn't in actual danger of electing a deplorable into office in the future.
I am not at all convinced that Trump losing by an even worse landslide would cause a course-correction by the deplorables that put him on the national stage in the first place. The echo chamber they've built for themselves is just too strong.

I wonder how sticky the college educated whites are gonna be to Democrats, especially if the GOP keeps doubling down on non-college educated whites.

I really don't see the GOP stopping the stupid. Trump will disappear but his voters won't.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

It's just another slack chat article where you have to listen to Claire Malone

If people are going to be bring up betting markets, they should at least avoid predictit. It's a pretty small volume market compared to something like betfair.

Not really? I feel like if they had a smoking gun they would want it out before early voting.

By tomorrow or Thursday a good chunk of the country has already voted. Seems kinda silly to wait that long.

I feel like it would have made a lot more sense to release a few weeks ago when Trump was being destroyed by oppo. He could've actually made a full recovery in the polls if something truly damning was released by WL. But the fact that nothing they've released so far has had anything incriminating really makes me thing they're all bark and no bite.

Good points as I was mainly playing devil's advocate. I also think if they had anything, it would have been released by now.

Fucking Comey though!!! I can't wait to see him get raked over the coals and canned!

Just it being Hillary has a pretty big effect too, though. Many Republicans hate her with a burning passion and refuse to endorse her even when they say they won't vote for Trump.

The problem is that Trump is literally the worst candidate to ever win the nomination and his campaign is the worst GOP campaign ever. Literally every aspect about him has been deplorable and his campaign has basically no groundgame.

Which means that whatever results we see this November will literally be the absolute best results that are possible for Hillary. If that's only 2012 margins, then Hillary is fucked in 2020 so long as the GOP nominates someone even marginally better than Trump that year.

I am not at all convinced that Trump losing by an even worse landslide would cause a course-correction by the deplorables that put him on the national stage in the first place. The echo chamber they've built for themselves is just too strong.

If Trump were to lose by a double digit landslide, then the deplorables wouldn't openly admit it, but they would know deep down that the vast majority of people hate them.

Look at how people treat 2012 results. Sure you get someone occasionally bring up bullshit claims that Obama only won due to fraud, but the vast majority of people recognize that Obama won fair and square in that election, and NO ONE suggests that Obama only won in 2008 due to fraud.

I wonder how sticky the college educated whites are gonna be to Democrats, especially if the GOP keeps doubling down on non-college educated whites.

It depends on what direction the GOP goes. If they tone down the overt racism and go back to dog whistles, the college educated will probably move back (because despite being educated they're deaf to dog whistles).

It's the Hispanics I'm curious about. That could be a nice, core group, for Democrats to cement.

fyi, early vote in NE-2 was looking really good, it may not be enough but it is much better than 2012.
I'm glad to hear it...I fully expect my prediction will be wrong because I'm the worst prognosticator who ever lived, but I'll keep standing by it until the exit polls roll in.

If biden was running, do y'all think it could have been a Regan style landslide?

Edit: apparently my phone autocorrects biden to video

If biden was running, do y'all think it could have been a Regan style landslide?

No. He'd be running at what Hillary is running at. He's not really that great at campaigning, he makes a ton of gaffes.

No matter who the candidate was, they'd be running at what Hillary is at. That's what polarization does.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, Comey is not going to say anything on the record until after the election?
It's like taking a giant shit in the middle of the floor, and refusing to say anything about it.

If we dont get the senate it will be another 4 years of gridlocked government, ugh

If you don't get the Senate you'll be wishing you only get 4 years of gridlocked government. The 2018 Senate Race is abysmal for Democrats (24 of the 33 up are Democrats and at least 6 are in pretty solid Red States, whereas there's very few Republicans up in Blue States). If you don't get the Senate this year you're not likely to get it back before 2022. The worst case is that 2018 might give the Republicans a supermajority in the Senate ("fortunately" the House is so gerrymandered that it's unliekly to change much from the current configuration)

And if you don't hold the Senate at some point between now and 2020 Clinton's odds of re-election drop considerably because you'll have 4 years of nothing achieved and various Republican mudslinging and a decent chance the resulting inaction will cause or fail to avert another economic downturn.

(There we go. I think that's enough nightmare fuel. )

Syncytia

The problem is that Trump is literally the worst candidate to ever win the nomination and his campaign is the worst GOP campaign ever. Literally every aspect about him has been deplorable and his campaign has basically no groundgame.

Which means that whatever results we see this November will literally be the absolute best results that are possible for Hillary. If that's only 2012 margins, then Hillary is fucked in 2020 so long as the GOP nominates someone even marginally better than Trump that year.

The GOP doesn't care how horrible Trump is, though. It's party first for them and supporting Hillary in any way goes against the party. It's all about stopping democrats.

Which is a huge problem for the country, but that's where we are today.

Slayven

Yep, these are some of the same people that still believe Obama was born in Kenya

Y'all, they have like a bajillion dollars in their ad buy coffers that they won't have jack shit to do with after the 8th. Of course they're shoring up the defenses across the board. There's no kill like overkill.

Kangi

It is literally the last week of the election.

They are swimming in cash.

They are using it.

Because it is literally the last week of the election.

lyrick

Edit: apparently my phone autocorrects biden to video

Are you talking about the same guy that very recently made some quip about taking Trump out behind the Gym?

No. He'd be running at what Hillary is running at. He's not really that great at campaigning, he makes a ton of gaffes.

No matter who the candidate was, they'd be running at what Hillary is at. That's what polarization does.

That implies that it isn't simply just a problem of extremists being more extreme, but also an issue of more people becoming extremists than we had in 2008.

If that's true, then America is fucked.

The GOP doesn't care how horrible Trump is, though. It's party first for them and supporting Hillary in any way goes against the party. It's all about stopping democrats.

Which is a huge problem for the country, but that's where we are today.

But that means that since 2008 it wasn't just moderates leaving the GOP but the percentage of deplorables in the country overall INCREASING, which means that social conservatism is not dying out but actually expanding.

If that ends up true, then I am going to be VERY pissed off at the deplorables I know.

I'm not letting the fucking deplorables become the new normal.

Boke1879

Everyone reading too much into ad buys. It's the final week, time has come to play all of your cards.

Yup. It's the last week. Shit is about to get crazy and Trump is spending money. If you got it spend what you can so you're not caught by surprise by some bullshit.

Yep, these are some of the same people that still believe Obama was born in Kenya

It'd not about causing the deplorables to have a course correction. That wouldn't happen. They exist because they are sick of the course correction, they perceive as having taken place of the past 50-70 years.

From a Democratic perspective its about shutting down contention the polls are rigged.

From a health of democracy perspective it's about getting the other Republicans to ditch the deplorables which would likely result in an division of the Republican party followed by another politicial realignment , since your voting system will force a move back to 2 parties (unless by some bizarre happenstance things go wrong enough to force an attempt to change the voting system to something that doesn't lead to that) but the composition of those two parties may change radically.

Trump +7 in NC after Clinton being up +2 three weeks ago? I don't like that. I know earlier it sounded like NC would be closer than original thought, sure doesn't look too great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom