• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Wisconsin, I'm going to say something now before the actual MULaw poll comes out tomorrow and I'm not accused of making excuses or something: One of the really bad things about having so few public polls is that it amplifies every single poll. Take the MULaw poll. Supposedly great pollster (I hate the term "gold standard"). But what happens if they get the sample wrong? Wisconsin is a white state, so it's potentially harder than, say, Florida or North Carolina to correct for a potentially non-reflective sample.

But let's say that the poll comes back tomorrow and it's Clinton +1 or even Trump +1. We don't have 7 other pollsters that also polled Wisconsin to let us know if this is on the mark or if it's an outlier or maybe that we should've been paying more attention to Wisconsin all along. This is probably the only poll of Wisconsin we're going to get before Election Day. That's kind of a problem.

TI82

Banned
I'd imagine if Trump wins, early voting is going to be culled way more than it already has.

Heck if Hillary wins they're going to try and cut it more.

Red states will without a doubt be pushing for even stronger voter ID laws, probably even a drug test before you vote too.

The point is just that it's not "secure." It's precarious. I think it's a fair term. Believe me, I want nothing more than to think it's impossible for him to win but if the Wisconsin poll shows like Clinton +2 tomorrow you can definitely bet he can win!

I agree that if the poll shows Wisconsin +2 then we're no longer in good shape, but considering that the last MU poll had her up 7 when the national polls had her pegged at around a 6 point lead, a Wisconsin +2 indicates a more fundamental shift than what his scenario's implying here. It would mean that the race has turned into a dead heat in the national polls rather than what he suggests, which is a +2 point lead nationally.

1) Should I be worried about :::eek:ne specific poll with no other evidence to support its trends :::?
No.
2) But what if.....
No.
3) Okay, but what if....
No.
4) But Nate....
Nate is an idiot.
5) Are you sure?
Yes.
6) Should I worry about....
No. You should vote, and then phone bank, or volunteer, or drive someone to the polls. Oh, and also get off CNN and Twitter and play with children in nature.

My friend is bedwetting via group text and saying florida and north carolina have flipped to trump and colorado down to single digit support.

Can someone please tell me something to tell him to quiet his insanities?

This was interesting:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/pew-clinton-trump-supporters-respect-230585

I'm legit shocked that more Trump supporters are willing to respect Hillary voters than the reverse. What''s up with that?

Hard for us to respect racists, easier for them to respect (who they perceive to be) younger people?

Probably because half of trump supporters are deplorables.

I'm all seriousness. Trump is surrounded by supporters that are truly disgusting and do disgusting things. I lose respect for anyone that wants to associate with that.

Nailed it. The politico article goes on to say when you just look at college educated clinton voters, that 58% number goes up to 66%.

Generally college makes you less tolerant of racist bigots, because you're exposed to more diversity.

Speaking of Wisconsin, I'm going to say something now before the actual MULaw poll comes out tomorrow and I'm not accused of making excuses or something: One of the really bad things about having so few public polls is that it amplifies every single poll. Take the MULaw poll. Supposedly great pollster (I hate the term "gold standard"). But what happens if they get the sample wrong? Wisconsin is a white state, so it's potentially harder than, say, Florida or North Carolina to correct for a potentially non-reflective sample.

But let's say that the poll comes back tomorrow and it's Clinton +1 or even Trump +1. We don't have 7 other pollsters that also polled Wisconsin to let us know if this is on the mark or if it's an outlier or maybe that we should've been paying more attention to Wisconsin all along. This is probably the only poll of Wisconsin we're going to get before Election Day. That's kind of a problem.

Good thing that the campaigns themselves spend massive amounts of money to do their own internal polling. Well, one of them at least.

If they're not yet worried about Wisconsin, we shouldn't be.

Zukkoyaki

I agree that if the poll shows Wisconsin +2 then we're no longer in good shape, but considering that the last MU poll had her up 7 when the national polls had her pegged at around a 6 point lead, a Wisconsin +2 indicates a more fundamental shift than what his scenario's implying here. It would mean that the race has turned into a dead heat in the national polls rather than what he suggests, which is a +2 point lead nationally.
Like Whyamihere said though, it's probably going to be the only good WI poll until the election and considering how noisy polling is by nature, we may not be able to infer too much from it regardless. One thing we do know is that Trump has never lead in a WI poll all cycle including landline only polls from partisan pollsters. I think we're fine there but it's good to see the Clinton campaign buying ads and sending everyone everywhere to shore up even the "safe" states.

Iolo

My friend is bedwetting via group text and saying florida and north carolina have flipped to trump and colorado down to single digit support.

Can someone please tell me something to tell him to quiet his insanities?

Tell your friend to phonebank or canvass.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That latest Biden video about having a plan for voting. The man is my hero. I'd love to sit down and have dinner with the guy.

No, there are over 200 million registered voters in the U.S., but it's highly unlikely that many will vote or even close to that many.

There are a little under 250 million eligible voters in total.

Someone projected 149 million which seems a little too high. I'd say 140 million at most.

Miles X

No, there are over 200 million registered voters in the U.S., but it's highly unlikely that many will vote or even close to that many.

There are a little under 250 million eligible voters in total.

Someone projected 149 million which seems a little too high. I'd say 140 million at most.

There were 146m registered voters in 2012 and 127m voted?? Is that correct?

Ah ok, I guess that link is wrong? Perhaps they mean total eligible to register to vote?

Does look like we're gonna have a huge jump over 2012 total votes though.

Yeah, total ELIGIBLE (18+, non-felon, alive) is like 220mil. In 2012 we had only 126mil actually vote. That's a disgrace, and we should do something to increase it.

Also, just to jump off this, they've been noisy as hell too, MULaw--from oldest to newest:

+9
+4
+15
+3
+2
+4

Here are their 2012 numbers, again, oldest to newest

+6
+8
+5
+3
+14
+11
+1
+8

Good thing that the campaigns themselves spend massive amounts of money to do their own internal polling. Well, one of them at least.

If they're not yet worried about Wisconsin, we shouldn't be.

I'm not worried about Wisconsin. I'm annoyed that I personally have less data than I used to. And it's also why, probably, watching campaign movements will be more important than in the past.

Iolo

Of course, that goes both ways. If mulaw comes back with Clinton +8, we don't know if it's an outlier either!

And I know I just shitted on Nate, but there's also some value to his model adding in some degree of uncertainty, especially since we have such few polls.

Of course, that goes both ways. If mulaw comes back with Clinton +8, we don't know if it's an outlier either!

That's why I'm posting it now to keep me honest!

Amir0x

Banned
Holy shit CNN commentary is insufferable. She says where is the positive closing arguments, only Trump is starting to go positive in the final days now that he "has the wind at his back'.

Please stop the madness, incompetent networks. Please.

Boke1879

Holy shit CNN commentary is insufferable. She says where is the positive closing arguments, only Trump is starting to go positive in the final days now that he "has the wind at his back'.

Who is 'she"?

Stop watching CNN!

Chichikov

QwewknQ.jpg

Eat dick Hugh Hewitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom