• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jessie Opoien ‏@jessieopie 2h2 hours ago Wisconsin, USA
.@RonJohnsonWI tells @BeloitDailyNews he believes @HillaryClinton should be impeached if elected president http://m.beloitdailynews.com/mobile/...10e7e9427.html …

Yawn. Bill Clinton was impeached. Whatever. Talk conviction if you want to impress me. That takes 2/3 of the Senate.

Bottom line is even Congressional impeachment (simple majority) isn't going to happen, but whatever.

Erica Werner
‏@ericawerner
Joe Heck, who un-endorsed Trump to boos, now says he is qualified and will be a "good commander in chief".

Please keep handcuffing yourselves to this dead hooker, GOP.

Probably posted already but... yeesh

@ForecasterEnten
From month before election to 9 days before it, we had 80 live interview polls in 2012 in 10 states closest to national vote. In 2016? 36.

which ten states are those? The national vote is what, Clinton +3 or +4?

Ohio, Iowa, NC, and FL are probably there, but after that is what..Arizona? Georgia? South Carolina? Texas?

nobody expected the latter states to be anywhere near competitive, while PA is like +9 and VA is +12.

Wilsongt

It will be nice next week after the election is over and we are in a post-Trump period where he isn't on every goddamn news program every night.

The reality of the matter is, though, unless Dems take the Senate, the next two years are still going to be utter garbage.

jtb

Banned
HRC will win Nevada by at least 5 points, probably closer to 7. Look at Reid 2010 or Obama 2012... hard state to poll + effective GOTV machine.

Cerium

Why run away from Bill...even shiny knight Bams knew not to do that.
Personal reasons, so the rumor goes. Gore felt like a third wheel in Hillary and Bill's White House and he wanted to run as his own man.

He thought that the public was pissed about all the scandals, and he wanted to offer a clean break. It was stupid, and he was terrible.
The thing is, he had access to the approval ratings just like everyone else did.

No, his motivations were pettier than that.

Because he's Al Gore.

Yup

1006-half-bear.jpg

jtb

Banned
Personal reasons, so the rumor goes. Gore felt like a third wheel in Hillary and Bill's White House and he wanted to run as his own man.

The thing is, he had access to the approval ratings just like everyone else did.

No, his motivations were pettier than that.

That's a bit reductive. High approval ratings, low favorables though, iirc.

Of course, no love lost between the Clintons and Gore. I think the Clintons were also much more interested in/focused on HRC's senate run and Gore was likely upset by how much attention was diverted in that direction.

chadskin

Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Tuesday that a hacking group previously linked to the Russian government and U.S. political hacks was behind recent cyber attacks that exploited a newly discovered Windows security flaw.

The software maker said in an advisory on its website there had been a small number of attacks using "spear phishing" emails from a hacking group known Strontium, which is more widely known as "Fancy Bear," or APT 28. Microsoft did not identify any victims.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-microsoft-cyber-russia-idUSKBN12W4ZK

They're coming for Clippy now.

Why does Trump suck Douglas MacArthur's dick so much? He was a racist and from watching this documentary on PBS, started losing the war in Korean theater like a chump near the end.
yo bruh Trump losing Florida would be amazing

The night would be over before it began
If Trump loses it by 5+ points, bye bye little Marco.

Yeahhhhhh not shocking. Clinton in the White House, calls for impeachment. Everything 90's is new again.

TBH, I really hope Dems manage to capitalize on the "come home to Jesus" effect Trump is exerting on Republicans in future elections. The party is behind him now, because of the sports team effect, but in 2-4-6 years he's gonna be even less beloved by the not-crazy portion of the electorate. Especially because he'll have the stink of loserdom on him. Dems need to not let people forget about the whiners and cowards who went crawling back to him.

Teggy

Why does Trump suck Douglas MacArthur's dick so much? He was a racist and from watching this documentary on PBS, started losing the war in Korean theater like a chump near the end.

Everything Trump likes he gets from watching movies and tv. He doesn't know the truth about anything, and anything that doesn't fit his worldview he makes up.

NeoXChaos

So after 75 years and 3 failed attempts Democrats will finally succeed in winning a "3 term" for their party one week from tonight.

Hillary will also be the first Democrat in 180 years to immediately succeed a fellow two term Democratic successor. *FDR died into his fourth and Truman took over. *Truman won a 5th term for the D's

If Trump loses it by 5+ points, bye bye little Marco.

Same reason he loves Putin and similar figures. Strongmen (which is a distinct category of person from "strong men") like other strongmen.

MoxManiac

Ugh. Been reading the latest doomsday articles on 538.

Am i just in denial or is nate trying really hard to convince that trump has a real shot?

I know 538 has been getting a lot of criticism lately here, i just can't tell wtf is going on.

Yeahhhhhh not shocking. Clinton in the White House, calls for impeachment. Everything 90's is new again.

TBH, I really hope Dems manage to capitalize on the "come home to Jesus" effect Trump is exerting on Republicans in future elections. The party is behind him now, because of the sports team effect, but in 2-4-6 years he's gonna be even less beloved by the not-crazy portion of the electorate. Especially because he'll have the stink of loserdom on him. Dems need to not let people forget about the whiners and cowards who went crawling back to him.

This would require every Dem, at all levels to tie Trump to every policy, every personality in the GOP. Every aspect of Conservatism should now be part of the Party of Trump, even if it's not warranted or necessarily true.

Hang that L on em forever

This would require every Dem, at all levels to tie Trump to every policy, every personality in the GOP. Every aspect of Conservatism should now be part of the Party of Trump, even if it's not warranted or necessarily true.

Terrible Dem leadership makes that effort a longshot. They can't even get competent candidates on the ballot in critical states in too many situations.

Blader

He thought that the public was pissed about all the scandals, and he wanted to offer a clean break. It was stupid, and he was terrible.

Gore was also pissed at Bill, partly because of the Lewinsky scandal and partly because he thought Hillary's Senate was stealing resources and attention away from him.

iavi

Ugh. Been reading the latest doomsday articles on 538.

Am i just in denial or is nate trying really hard to convince that trump has a real shot?

I know 538 has been getting a lot of criticism lately here, i just can't tell wtf is going on.

Yeah, I have to say that they have been, and I haven't been on punished Nate's ass as much as others.

And their model doesn't account for early voting.

which ten states are those? The national vote is what, Clinton +3 or +4?

Ohio, Iowa, NC, and FL are probably there, but after that is what..Arizona? Georgia? South Carolina? Texas?

nobody expected the latter states to be anywhere near competitive, while PA is like +9 and VA is +12.

You're missing Harry's point, all of the public models are built on a lot of low quality polls so there is inherently more risk to them. The media just isn't willing to pay for better ones right now. This is one of the reasons I'm not overly worried by the supposed tightening of the last few days.

Veelk

Banned
I just need to rant here.

My parents are fucking idiots. I mean, I love them and they love me, but goddammit, they're stupid.

They get most/all of their information from fox, and they are misinformed as fuck. But when I try to explain to them that they do not have their facts straight, they just pull a "you're such a know-it-all and no one can tell you different". No matter how I explain it to them, even though they do not refute anything, they just roll their eyes at "everything you think you know about this election is wrong"....which, sure, is an extreme statement, but it's true. There is no subject regarding this election in which they haven't displayed stunning misinformation. Whenever I try to demand statistics or sources, they either go "Well, on the news..." or worse, bring up some anecdote. To them, a personal story of a single mexican skipping paying taxes or committing a crime they personally know is more convincing to them that it's a national problem than the statistics showing it's not.

It's hard to pin down the exact source of this mentality. A lot of it is that they do not look outside their personal bubble. Like, the fact that they are paying a lot for Obamacare and don't benefit from it too much is reason why it should be removed for the entire country. A lot of their questions are framed as "Well, what is Hillary Clinton going to do for you?" As in, me personally. They don't seem to think that gays maintaining their rights would be something I'd care about since I'm not gay. And it's hard not to see this as shitty selfish behavior because...it kind of is.

It's just frustrating because they eagerly want a debate and hate how heated it gets, but you cannot debate ignorance of this magnitude. It's like building a sandcastle on the shoreline, no matter the argument you mount on why they're wrong, it's just washed away and you have to start on a new one.

My parents are fucking idiots. I mean, I love them and they love me, but goddammit, they're stupid.

They get most/all of their information from fox, and they are misinformed as fuck. But when I try to explain to them that they do not have their facts straight, they just pull a "you're such a know-it-all and no one can tell you different". No matter how I explain it to them, even though they do not refute anything, they just roll their eyes at "everything you think you know about this election is wrong"....which, sure, is an extreme statement, but it's true. Whenever I try to demand statistics or sources, they either go "Well, on the news..." or worse, bring up some anecdote. To them, a personal story of a single mexican skipping paying taxes they personally know is more convincing to them the statistics showing immigrants are less likely to commit crimes. It's hard to pin down the exact source of this mentality. A lot of it is that they do not look outside their personal bubble. Like, the fact that they are paying a lot for Obamacare and don't benefit from it too much is reason why it should be removed for the entire country. A lot of their questions are framed as "Well, what is Hillary Clinton going to do for you?" As in, me personally. They don't seem to think that gays maintaining their rights would be something I'd care about since I'm not gay. And it's hard not to see this as shitty selfish behavior because...it kind of is.

It's just frustrating because they eagerly want a debate and hate how heated it gets, but you cannot debate ignorance of this magnitude. It's like building a sandcastle on the shoreline, no matter the argument you mount on why they're wrong, it's just washed away and you have to start on a new one.

If they handwave facts then they don't care about policy, they vote based on -isms =/

Blader

They get most/all of their information from fox, and they are misinformed as fuck. But when I try to explain to them that they do not have their facts straight, they just pull a "you're such a know-it-all and no one can tell you different". No matter how I explain it to them, even though they do not refute anything, they just roll their eyes at "everything you think you know about this election is wrong"....which, sure, is an extreme statement, but it's true. There is no subject regarding this election in which they haven't displayed stunning misinformation. Whenever I try to demand statistics or sources, they either go "Well, on the news..." or worse, bring up some anecdote. To them, a personal story of a single mexican skipping paying taxes they personally know is more convincing to them the statistics showing immigrants are less likely to commit crimes. It's hard to pin down the exact source of this mentality. A lot of it is that they do not look outside their personal bubble. Like, the fact that they are paying a lot for Obamacare and don't benefit from it too much is reason why it should be removed for the entire country. A lot of their questions are framed as "Well, what is Hillary Clinton going to do for you?" As in, me personally. They don't seem to think that gays maintaining their rights would be something I'd care about since I'm not gay. And it's hard not to see this as shitty selfish behavior because...it kind of is.

Truthiness is a real thing.

Gruco

Banned
Hey GAF. I heard that Marco Rubio is likely going to elected president now. I am unsure what to do about this, so I decided to drink a lot of Gatorade and to watch videos of waterfalls on YouTube before going to bed tonight. Is this going to help relieve my anxiety Y/N???

Honestly, I think we need to start taking a couple of pages out of the Republican playbook. Just in terms of general tactics. Dems always act so damn reasonable all the time. There's a time and a place for that, but it's not in public, not nowadays. So, yeah. Republicans are the Party of Trump. 100% of Republican elected officials should be pressed for their role in the Trump Candidacy. They exploited the death of 4 Americans to try and bury Hillary Clinton, this is small potatoes in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom