• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this, have to wonder if there is going to be a strong 'in the poll booth' effect of R's not being able to bring themselves to vote Trump, especially for women when presented with voting for the first women president.

Kangi

Ugh. Been reading the latest doomsday articles on 538.

Am i just in denial or is nate trying really hard to convince that trump has a real shot?

I know 538 has been getting a lot of criticism lately here, i just can't tell wtf is going on.

Dem panic has been high. 538's been getting those sweet, sweet clicks.

Barzul

Hey GAF. I heard that Marco Rubio is likely going to elected president now. I am unsure what to do about this, so I decided to drink a lot of Gatorade and to watch videos of waterfalls on YouTube before going to be tonight. Is this going to help relieve my anxiety Y/N???

L

sphagnum

Banned
Hey GAF. I heard that Marco Rubio is likely going to elected president now. I am unsure what to do about this, so I decided to drink a lot of Gatorade and to watch videos of waterfalls on YouTube before going to be tonight. Is this going to help relieve my anxiety Y/N???

Just don't have anxiety.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it's remarkable how much of a pro-Trump safe space Hannity has created for himself on his show. Guests are Newt, Rudy, and Laura Ingraham talking about Clinton e-mails, Donna Brazile being a "cheater", how Huma and Podesta "broke the law." Also Hannity twice had his guests (Newt and Laura) reassure him of ways Trump can get to 270, because Hannity is skeptical of Trump's chances.

Two guests at the end are right wing pundits who are talking about MSM bias, bringing up the percentage of time that networks ran coverage critical of Comey this week.

Also, this:

PUNDIT: You've been saying journalism's dead for a long time-
HANNITY: 8 years

Hmm, what happened 8 years ago that would cause tha- oh...

He ordered 1,000 Trump pens that have a speaker in them that play Trump quotes to give away on his show, but by the end he apparently received word from FOX's legal team that he might not be allowed to give them away.

I was happy to see that his show doesn't have a second hour, because I wasn't sure how long it was. And I didn't stick around for O'Reilly.

This would require every Dem, at all levels to tie Trump to every policy, every personality in the GOP. Every aspect of Conservatism should now be part of the Party of Trump, even if it's not warranted or necessarily true.

Hang that L on em forever

This would be a bad policy and wouldn't work (see Rubio escaping Trump)

I just need to rant here.

My parents are fucking idiots. I mean, I love them and they love me, but goddammit, they're stupid.

They get most/all of their information from fox, and they are misinformed as fuck. But when I try to explain to them that they do not have their facts straight, they just pull a "you're such a know-it-all and no one can tell you different". No matter how I explain it to them, even though they do not refute anything, they just roll their eyes at "everything you think you know about this election is wrong"....which, sure, is an extreme statement, but it's true. There is no subject regarding this election in which they haven't displayed stunning misinformation. Whenever I try to demand statistics or sources, they either go "Well, on the news..." or worse, bring up some anecdote. To them, a personal story of a single mexican skipping paying taxes or committing a crime they personally know is more convincing to them that it's a national problem than the statistics showing it's not.

It's hard to pin down the exact source of this mentality. A lot of it is that they do not look outside their personal bubble. Like, the fact that they are paying a lot for Obamacare and don't benefit from it too much is reason why it should be removed for the entire country. A lot of their questions are framed as "Well, what is Hillary Clinton going to do for you?" As in, me personally. They don't seem to think that gays maintaining their rights would be something I'd care about since I'm not gay. And it's hard not to see this as shitty selfish behavior because...it kind of is.

It's just frustrating because they eagerly want a debate and hate how heated it gets, but you cannot debate ignorance of this magnitude. It's like building a sandcastle on the shoreline, no matter the argument you mount on why they're wrong, it's just washed away and you have to start on a new one.

"What's Hillary gonna do for you?"

"O I dont know, maybe there's going to be a Student Loan debt forgiveness program. Maybe there's going to be federally mandated overtime pay. Maybe there's going to be federally mandated paternity leave. Maybe I won't go uninsured if I lose my job for an extended period of time. The possibilities are endless!"

sphagnum

Banned
"What's Hillary gonna do for you?"

"O I dont know, maybe there's going to be a Student Loan debt forgiveness program. Maybe there's going to be federally mandated overtime pay. Maybe there's going to be federally mandated paternity leave. Maybe I won't go uninsured if I lose my job for an extended period of time. The possibilities are endless!"

But will she bring about full communism?

Checkmate Clintoncucks.

Nafai1123

Banned
Republicans impeaching both Clintons would be the epitome of the vast right wing conspiracy. Punish both of them for lying while you praise and defend the biggest liar around. The irony would be amusing if it wasn't so depressing.

chadskin

From Brazil With Love

A Brazilian prosecutor has opened a criminal investigation into investments made by two state pension funds in a luxury Rio de Janeiro hotel that is part of the Trump franchise, according to a court filing reviewed by Reuters on Tuesday.

The 130 million reais ($40 million) investment by the two small funds in the hotel's developer "required investigation" due to its size, structure and high level of risk, Anselmo Lopes, a federal prosecutor in Brasilia, said in the document dated Oct. 21 that opened the inquiry.

Lopes said the pension fund for state IT firm Serpro and the Igeprev fund for employees of Tocantins state invested the money in the developer, LSH Barra Empreendimentos Imobiliários SA, which built the Trump Hotel Rio de Janeiro.

"Investing amounts of such size, for these (relatively small) pension funds, breaks principles for diversification and liquidity," Lopes said in the document.

"It is necessary to verify if the favoritism shown by the pension funds towards LSH Barra Empreendimentos Imobiliários SA and The Trump Organization was due to illicit payments and bribes," Lopes said in the 15-page document.

The investigation is part of a wider probe into fraud at Brazilian state pension funds in which bribes were allegedly paid to secure investments.

The Trump Organization and LSH Barra Empreendimentos Imobiliários SA, the sole owner of the hotel, denied any wrongdoing. Serpros did not respond to requests for comment.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-corruption-trump-exclusive-idUSKBN12W58P

7 days from just about right now I can finally get this election out of my fucking head.

As someone who grew up with a father who was a narcissistic sociopath, this whole election has been a bit of a nightmare scenario for me. Really been hard to focus on anything else.

Thank god.

thcsquad

What do you call a person who has no moral concern for the lives of anyone but themselves? Whatever that is is what Peter Thiel is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/793626439379718144/photo/1

I have a theory that Peter Thiel combines the worst aspects of German culture and American Libertarian culture.

Germans are thought of as cold, efficient, and unfeeling, but they agree that the system worth optimizing is one that is equitable.

American Libertarians pursue insane economic policies, but they truly believe that these policies would bring prosperity to more people. When Gary Johnson or Rand Paul go into the 'inner city' and tell people that government aid programs are the thing that's been holding them back all this time, they're laughably wrong but they believe what they're talking about and actually want people to succeed.

Peter Thiel manages to cherry-pick from these influences to form a uniquely vile worldview.

Honestly, I think we need to start taking a couple of pages out of the Republican playbook. Just in terms of general tactics. Dems always act so damn reasonable all the time. There's a time and a place for that, but it's not in public, not nowadays. So, yeah. Republicans are the Party of Trump. 100% of Republican elected officials should be pressed for their role in the Trump Candidacy. They exploited the death of 4 Americans to try and bury Hillary Clinton, this is small potatoes in comparison.

Liberals and conservatives are too different for this to work. The right wing echo chamber works because modern conservatives are a very homogeneous group that is self reinforcing. The liberal coalition has a too many interests to just repeat 'Trump bad' non-stop for four years. Its why none of the liberal newstalk shows ever caught on. The audience wants different stuff.

282298.gif

Bowdz

Peter Thiel is basically Nate Silver to Elon Musk's Nate Cohn. Both worked on PayPal, one goes on to be CEO of SpaceX and Tesla, chairman of SolarCity, and founder of OpenAI while the other's biggest accomplishment post PayPal turns out to be funding Hulk Hogan in a sex lawsuit. Have fun being 9 billion poorer than Elon Musk fucking scrublet.

Impeaching hillary would make me a very depressive man over the years until Kamala Harris takes the mantle.

Constant impeachments will help Dems win elections because it's just going to be Hillary owning Jason Chaffetz and Trey Gowdy and scrubs like them over and over again while these jerkoffs try to build a case on nothing.

Barzul

Peter Thiel is basically Nate Silver to Elon Musk's Nate Cohn. Both worked on PayPal, one goes on to be CEO of SpaceX and Tesla, chairman of SolarCity, and founder of OpenAI while the other's biggest accomplishment post PayPal turns out to be funding Hulk Hogan in a sex lawsuit. Have fun being 9 billion poorer than Elon Musk fucking scrublet.

Doesn't Thiel own Palantir too? I know they're pretty big in the Intelligence space.

sphagnum

Banned
Liberals and conservatives are too different for this to work. The right wing echo chamber works because modern conservatives are a very homogeneous group that is self reinforcing. The liberal coalition has a too many interests to just repeat 'Trump bad' non-stop for four years. Its why none of the liberal newstalk shows ever caught on. The audience wants different stuff.

I can tell you that we communists are very good at propaganda and homogeneity when we're not backstabbing each other if you want some help!

Boke1879

I don't know how they do this stuff but if possible Hillary should blanket the airwaves with ads during tomorrow's last game of the World Series.

Oh, it doesn't have to be just Trump All Day Erry Day. We can multitask. I'm also in favor of painting pro-gun legislators as being weak on national defense. We have options, we just need to start pursuing them with vigor.

OK so, that Florida poll news? Eh, sorta big. But this?!?

Megaton:

Susan Sarandon with that excellent timing.

Wow the replies. Ha ha. Green Party supporters giving Trump supporters a run for their money in the most delusional voting block.

You would say that Felix Lighter! How much is Hillary secretly paying you to attack Jill Stein?! We all know that Hillary spends all day trying to figure out ways to bring Jill down because Jill is the biggest threat to her candidacy!

After Trump loses, I feel like he's really gonna let loose with the crazy BS comments since he won't be under the pressure of the campaign anymore. It'll make all the Republicans who endorsed him look much much worse in the coming years.

chadskin

OK so, that Florida poll news? Eh, sorta big. But this?!?

Megaton:
In the 2016 U.S. presidential election, she has made public her support for Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders. On March 28, 2016, in an interview on All In with Chris Hayes, Sarandon indicated that she and other Sanders supporters might not support Hillary Clinton if Clinton is the Democratic nominee for President. She stated: "You know, some people feel that Donald Trump will bring the revolution immediately. If he gets in, then things will really explode." Hayes inquired as to whether it would be dangerous to allow Trump to become president, to which she replied: "If you think that it's pragmatic to shore up the status quo right now, then you're not in touch with the status quo".

I wonder what her account on /r/SandersForPresident was.

Turnout super strong in Durham (NC). 7k more voters, with turnout up a bit at NCCU (a HBCU) and the Univeristy of New Jersey-Durham, also known by its informal name of "Duke".

If this keeps up there's either not going to be many voters in Durham County on election OR there are going to be a lot of new voters overall. Probably going to be the latter , judging from my commute to and from work on I-40. That's good for Hillary because we are in the tank for Democrats here.

Turnout super strong in Durham (NC). 7k more voters, with turnout up a bit at NCCU (a HBCU) and the Univeristy of New Jersey-Durham, also known by its informal name of "Duke".

If this keeps up there's either not going to be many voters in Durham County on election OR there are going to be a lot of new voters overall. Probably going to be the latter , judging from my commute to and from work on I-40. That's good for Hillary because we are in the tank for Democrats here.

Durham and Wake had the largest increase in new voter registrations so far this year, followed by Guilford and Mecklenburg. All good for us.

"Duke" is high quality and apparently has distanced itself from Governor Christie.

Speaking of North Carolina, 21,502 early votes in Mecklenburg County today. That brings the total early vote to 188,649, not counting absentee ballots, which is 7.8% ahead of 2012's pace (175,007). Recall that 6 days previously, early voting trailed by 13.3% due to limited polling places.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Four days later, and I'm still seeing the news cycle dominated by email talk.

Trump's typical Trumpian comments aren't gaining any traction these past few days.

Also, in Orange County (FL) we had our biggest plurality since last week, and the biggest NPA day so far. Turnout looks great in FL for us. Palm Beach had its best day yet, Broward was way up and Miami-Dade was too.

Mizerman

Also, in Orange County (FL) we had our biggest plurality since last week, and the biggest NPA day so far. Turnout looks great in FL for us. Palm Beach had its best day yet, Broward was way up and Miami-Dade was too.

As a Miami-Dade guy, that's good.

Iolo

I think Rubio's data guy meant that he was surprised it took so long to leak a positive poll for Hillary to combat all the bad polls we've been seeing for her. In other words leaked to buck up the Dems and change the narrative.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I mean... This is absolutely the Republican position.

When the GOP controls the House and Senate in 2019, she will be impeached for... something.

I would say there's no way they could get away with impeaching over something dumb like an executive order they don't like as is often suggested they thing to do for Obama, but time and time again the voters have proven that they give 0 fucks about republicans tearing down the norms of proper governance, so they probably wouldn't be hurt or helped at all by it for general elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom