• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Election day falls on a Tuesday.

So it's:
Get off work at 4
Gym by 4:30
Election is probably called by the time I get home at like nearly 6.

Whew lads. Thanks East Coast for making the rest of us irrelevant.

Who could have ever believed that the Des Moines shooter would be a Trump fan?

This is so unexpected...

IMG_20161102_135308.jpg

If this isn't proof that the GOP was trying to diminish the AA vote I don't know what is

But no; the media has to report this as lower enthusiasm for Clinton. CNN in particular basically just reads the headline, doesn't give much in the way of details, then jumps to hyper partisan panels to react.

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Crooked Hillary Clinton deleted 33,000 e-mails AFTER they were subpoenaed by the United States Congress. Guilty - cannot run. Rigged system!
Nov 2, 2016, 8:47 AM

Yep

Would it be bad for a Harry Reid or someone to tweet him about Trump doing the same while under investigation in defiance of court order?

Latino Decisions
‏@LatinoDecisions
LD statistical model projecting voter turnout by Prof. @justinhgross forecasts 13.1-14.7 million Latino votes cast, up from 11.2M in 2012

If this isn't proof that the GOP was trying to diminish the AA vote I don't know what is

We have to win the Senate, so Clinton can appoint Justices to review the neutering of the VRA, so that we can somewhat level the playing field for voters of color.

How fucking convoluted. Do better 'Merica

I still find myself aghast at the absurdity of Donald Trump. I don't doubt he'll lose, but he needs to lose big for the US to not look like a completely amoral laughingstock of a democracy for years to come. I think of what it would be like if I was a kid now, not knowing much about anything but seeing Donald Trump on TV as a potential leader of the free world. I'd be anxious and confused too.

Guh, one of my favorite streamers just did a brief "both sides, can't tell who is worse" soliloquy. I never want to speak to Trumpsters and I want to slap people who say this shit.

The campaign has already admitted they have a contact connected to wikileaks. I'm not unconvinced Assange hasn't already somehow sent all the emails to the campaign already.

North Carolina is a prime example of the effect they wanted to have. If Republicans get the supreme Court voter suppression will become the norm for years

Iolo

I just can't buy that people are really this fickle.

It's all down to partisan nonresponse bias that the electorate swung by 19 points in one day and then back again. Or as Nate Silver would say, completely based on hard evidence,

Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538 27m27 minutes ago

Small samples here but it's **plausible** that the FBI story was quite damaging to Clinton at first, then damage lessened as story evolved.

BiggNife

The next Wikileaks release will probably be just more podesta shit

I'm 99.9% convinced that if they had a smoking gun it would be released by now. It doesn't make sense to wait this long when early voting has been going for a while.

Blader

As much as I defended Nate more often than not during the primaries, his punditry has gotten really asinine lately.

Getting mixed messages on the AA vote

In North Carolina, the state first tried to reduce early voting days from 17 to 10, then when they were ordered by the courts to go back to the previous number, they responded by limiting the number of polling locations open during the first week. Guess which areas got hit the most. Overall early voting numbers were down the first week, as you would expect.

With more polling places now open, many counties have recovered and are now ahead of 2012's pace.

KMS

Small samples here but it's **plausible** that the FBI story was quite damaging to Clinton at first, then damage lessened as story evolved.

Nate officially trying to out Morning Joe, Morning Joe. He has to know it's just response rate but pundits gonna pundit. Getting some of that good punditry cash.

edit- or is he trying to out concern troll, Mika?

Iolo

Imagine if that MULAW poll had been shifted by one day and the Trump-positive 19 point swing had been on the third day, instead of sandwiched in the middle. Nate Silver would be so smug

It's all down to partisan nonresponse bias that the electorate swung by 19 points in one day and then back again. Or as Nate Silver would say, completely based on hard evidence,

PunishedNate might be correct.

Dems freakout on Friday when FBI sent the letter to congress. And it wasn't until sometime Saturday/early Sunday that we figure out that the FBI hadn't even requested a warrant to get the emails off Weiner's laptop.

trends! emails! trends! emails! emails! emails!

Maxim726X

MULawPoll ‏@MULawPoll 11m11 minutes ago
Among early voters, 64% for Clinton, 25% for Trump. In Senate race, 58% for Feingold, 29% for Johnson

Daaamn How does this compare to last year?

As much as I defended Nate more often than not during the primaries, his punditry has gotten really asinine lately.

He really has been shit all season. If he's too far off the EV counts, he'll lose a lot of credibility.

Iolo

PunishedNate might be correct.

Dems freakout on Friday when FBI sent the letter to congress. And it wasn't until sometime Saturday/early Sunday that we figure out that the FBI hadn't even requested a warrant to get the emails off Weiner's laptop.

No, partisan nonresponse bias was his old theory. His new theory is that the 19 point one-day swing could have been real.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Latino vote on the rise, polling starts to suck.....coincidence?

Definitely part of it, and the biggest reason for 2012's misses, but I think the biggest miss by pollsters in 2014 was underestimating how much white millennials shifted towards republicans.

They're probably fine weighing the data when those hard to reach demographics do what is expected, but they can't pick up any major shift in those groups very well.

Can I ask where the talk of Wisconsin flipping in the future is coming from? The only times it's come close to flipping since 1984 were 2000 and 2004 and it was more Democratic than the nation as a whole in 2012 and doesn't seem to be trending away at all. I know it's more white than the nation as a whole, but Obama won 48% of white voters there in 2012 and it's one of the last places with rural Democratic voters.

Plus we all know that Dems aren't responding to polls on Fridays. Duh. We are all out partying away our free welfare monies and trading our free EBT cards so we can do drugs to each other.

No, partisan nonresponse bias was his old theory. His new theory is that the 19 point one-day swing could have been real.

Flip flopper!

Emarv

I thought the issues with the AA vote were more about black millenials than AAs overall? Or am I conflating two separate issues?

Can I ask where the talk of Wisconsin flipping in the future is coming from? The only times it's come close to flipping since 1984 were 2000 and 2004 and it was more Democratic than the nation as a whole in 2012 and doesn't seem to be trending away at all. I know it's more white than the nation as a whole, but Obama won 48% of white voters there in 2012 and it's one of the last places with rural Democratic voters.

Midwestern state with a lot of white voters and doesn't have a major metropolis to anchor urban progressives like Minneapolis. Plus Scott Walker has done everything possible to destroy liberal institutions there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom