• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

But she hasn't?

2 days ago she was at 260 EV on RealClearPolitics. Now she is down to 226 EV. Clinton won almost all Florida polls throughout Sept/Oct, but has lost or is only narrowly winning in the 10 most recent. North Carolina has me nervous as well, though I'm not sure how much faith to put in the Trump+7 and Trump+2 NC polls.

2 days ago she was at 260 EV on RealClearPolitics. Now she is down to 226 EV. Clinton won almost all Florida polls throughout Sept/Oct, but has lost or is only narrowling winning in the 10 most recent. North Carolina has me nervous as well.

RCP is a bad site with a bad track record for being accurate

Do those inherently lean more republican or something? Why do they make things seem so much closer?

First off tracking polls tend to be less accurate because they don't screen out respondents as well. There also is a tendency for them to swing around wildly and it does appear that Trump closed the gap some in the last 2 - 3 weeks. If the national polls are correct and that's stopped the trackers should swing back to Clinton.

Zukkoyaki

2 days ago she was at 260 EV on RealClearPolitics. Now she is down to 226 EV. Clinton won almost all Florida polls throughout Sept/Oct, but has lost or is only narrowling winning in the 10 most recent. North Carolina has me nervous as well.
RCP is garbage and is getting heavily skewed by landline-only partisan polls

HTupolev

They really have no path and they are trying to flip any state now.
Since winning the "swing" stuff won't achieve the white house, they don't really have an option but to hope the polls are way off and try to drag one or two blue areas red enough to flip in that weird scenario. Or at least I'm assuming that's their line of thought.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Isn't the issue with Virginia that there are too many educated white people? Demographically it would seem to be a mess for trump. Rubio almost beat him there.

I think 538 is being dumped by ESPN (Disney) regardless after the election, ESPN is cutting back all over the place

I've heard that Bill Simmons was the one to push ESPN to acquire 538, so you're probably right. The site doesn't have the guy who was vouching for it to help them.

Maybe Nate shows up and does a podcast for The Ringer or something. Hey, they've already got Favreau over there.

Isn't the issue with Virginia that there are too many educated white people? Demographically it would seem to be a mess for trump. Rubio almost beat him there.

From what I understand, it's not just the education levels, but that Northern Virginia is populated with government workers who don't like shutdowns or anti-federal-government screeds of the type that GOP candidates favor.

GutsOfThor

This is probably a stupid question but fuck it I'll ask it anyway:

What are the odds that many of these democratic ballots being cast in early voting are for trump?

This is just one example but there is a mexican family that lives on my aunt's street and she saw today that they have a big picture of trump with flowers all around him. This shocked my aunt to say the least since they were big supporters of Obama the past two elections and she knows they are Democrats.

Farmboy

I would bet money Nate has Clinton less than 60% by election day. 50 50 would be toone obvious. November 8 is the last day anyone will give a shit about 538 for years.

I mean, I get that Nate's model is probably too pessimistic and certainly too reactive. But at the end of the day he's just plugging numbers into it. Let's assume he's not deliberately manipulating things to get a certain result. That's veering into unskewing/conspiracy territory.

Kangi

mLQgn16.gif

Also, I don't think it was an internal poll at all. I think it was that bullshit Hampton University poll. Kind of like how Conway says their internal polling matches the average of all the PA polls released today, conveniently.

kevin1025

Banned
if there is one benefit to this new e-mail fuckery it's that Trump now believes victory is in his grasp
probably because he watches CNN
and he will be legimitately shocked on the 8th

It also means we'll have more Trump, with his non-concession, demand for recounts, suing everything that breathes, etc.

That Black Mirror White Christmas mute button should exist for Trump.

Boke1879

What are the odds that many of these democratic ballots being cast in early voting are for trump?

This is just one example but there is a mexican family that lives on my aunt's street and she saw today that they have a big picture of trump with flowers all around him. This shocked my aunt to say the least since they were big supporters of Obama the past two elections and she knows they are Democrats.

Negligible at best. You could ask yourself the same for Reps who despise Trump but vote for Clinton.

Since Virginia doesn't have non-absentee early voting, I guess it makes some amount of sense to make a half-hearted play. No one's literally ballot-locked yet.

*snort* lookit this dummy what is he even doing

Also, I don't think it was an internal poll at all. I think it was that bullshit Hampton University poll. Kind of like how Conway says their internal polling matches the average of all the PA polls released today, conveniently.

Good point. There's a chance they don't have any internal polling and are using the public polls because Trump won't pay for polling when someone else does it. So in a way, public polls are their internal polls.

lol.

Maxim726X

Because of the tracking polls.

Man, what happened to Nate's model?

I thought that people were just uncomfortable with his results, but at this point you really have to question his methodology.

Particularly after the BamBam post earlier in the thread. Really doesn't make any sense.

mo60

Probably close to 0%. Trump is not going to win much past 5 or 6 percent of democrats nationally.

border

RCP is a bad site with a bad track record for being accurate
RCP is garbage and is getting heavily skewed by landline-only partisan polls

I already switched from 538 to RCP. It seems like no matter what poll aggregator I go to there's someone telling me that it is biased and skewed and should not be at all trusted.

That said, I usually just go to these sites to look at the collection of polls, not to really consider their picture of the overall election. It often seems weirdly arbitrary the way they weight things. 538 was giving Trump points in polls he lost earlier in the year.....RCP thought Georgia is a "toss up".....etc,etc.

I mean, I get that Nate's model is probably too pessimistic and certainly too reactive. But at the end of the day he's just plugging numbers into it. Let's assume he's not deliberately manipulating things to get a certain result. That's veering into unskewing/conspiracy territory.

I wouldn't even call it a model anymore. PEC is a model. 538 is a poll aggregator.

Anyone else feel like Hillary's speeches are much too aggressive recently? Her recent speeches are pretty much 100% her attacking Trump, I thought she had a better balance prior to the FBI stuff.

When I read this, I imagined KellyAnne waving Mike Pence and Trump over to a hard copy of the internals she is holding.

"Mr. Trump, I thought for sure that Virginia was out of play but I double checked my numbers and you...are...not...gonna believe this!"

She hands him the paper and Trump inspects it with a raised eyebrow.

"Pence, fire up the plane..." with a grin.

It's like when a teacher starts feeding answers to a student who obviously hasn't read/studied whatever it is they're talking about.

"So polling today has Hillary up 4 in Pennsylvania-"
"Uh, yeah of course! That's what I got too."

(Insert beautiful and talented comment here)

GutsOfThor

Negligible at best. You could ask yourself the same for Reps who despise Trump but vote for Clinton.

Good point.

Probably close to 0%. Trump is not going to win much past 5 or 6 percent of democrats nationall.

I kind of figured he would win some Dems but it's just shocking to me that Mexican family could support him after everything that has been said and done.

samn

I already switched from 538 to RCP. It seems like no matter what poll aggregator I go to there's someone telling me that it is biased and skewed and should not be at all trusted.

That said, I usually just go to these sites to look at the collection of polls, not to really consider their picture of the overall election. It often seems weirdly arbitrary the way they weight things. 538 was giving Trump points in polls he lost earlier in the year.....RCP thought Georgia is a "toss up".....etc,etc.

Obviously the gold standard in polling analysis is the community thread on NeoGAF. forget all these 'experts'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom