• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Anyone else feel like Hillary's speeches are much too aggressive recently? Her recent speeches are pretty much 100% her attacking Trump, I thought she had a better balance prior to the FBI stuff.
Trump's numbers only go up when he gets ignored by the media and public.

You have to keep him in the spotlight.

BiggNife

I already switched from 538 to RCP. It seems like no matter what poll aggregator I go to there's someone telling me that it is biased and skewed and should not be at all trusted.

That said, I usually just go to these sites to look at the collection of polls, not to really consider their picture of the overall election. It often seems weirdly arbitrary the way they weight things. 538 was giving Trump points in polls he lost earlier in the year.....RCP thought Georgia is a "toss up".....etc,etc.

NYT Upshot is the best aggregate to look at IMO. It shows you all of the other aggregates so you can compare and contrast, and it's not as volatile as 538 is.

Also my understanding is that RCP is way worse than 538. Nate's model has been pretty volatile lately but at least 538 is generally pretty accurate. RCP had Romney at +1.5 going into election day 2012.

(I am probably more forgiving towards 538 than most people here though I will say Nate's punditry has been insufferable this year.)

So I missed it a few days ago among all the bedwetting, but Trump only had $16 million cash on hand as at 19-Oct with $2 million debt vs Clinton's $62 million??

It would be funny if his campaign ran out of cash. Another Trump bankruptcy.

Steve Schale ‏@steveschale 5m5 minutes ago Tallahassee, FL
Dems pushing 150k margin in Broward after 2nd biggest in-person EV day where they were ~ +14k voters & almost 11k NPA voted

Numbers coming in looking good in Florida, today.

Someone in the Trump campaign is probably doing "internal polling" where they just search the internet for good polls for Trump.

This guy is running a great scam except he won't get paid by Trump because Trump never pays anyone.

If Clinton somehow manages to win with a Landslide

Do you think then, and only then will the GOP have to reevaluate what the hell they're doing?

I already switched from 538 to RCP. It seems like no matter what poll aggregator I go to there's someone telling me that it is biased and skewed and should not be at all trusted.

That said, I usually just go to these sites to look at the collection of polls, not to really consider their picture of the overall election. It often seems weirdly arbitrary the way they weight things. 538 was giving Trump points in polls he lost earlier in the year.....RCP thought Georgia is a "toss up".....etc,etc.

you gotta aggregate your aggregates cuz. yodawg.jpg

Velcro Fly

Going back to VA? Didn't they just pull out like two or three weeks ago?

The campaign strategy of throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and hoping it sticks happening again I guess.

I've actually been so confident in a Hilllary win that I tried to bet my father in law tattoos. He's a Celtics fan and I'm a Lakers fan so he would have had to have a Lakers symbol on his shoulder the size of a post-it. I've offered multiple times too. Keep in mind this is because he wanted to bet me something Trump would win, he's just to chicken shit when it all came down to it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Do you think then, and only then will the GOP have to reevaluate what the hell they're doing?

Their base might not let them.

Yes, I think they'll absolutely evaluate how the Democrats managed to rig the election. And they'll refuse to acknowledge Clinton as the rightful president until they get to the bottom of things.

So I missed it a few days ago among all the bedwetting, but Trump only had $16 million cash on hand as at 19-Oct with $2 million debt vs Clinton's $62 million??

It would be funny if his campaign ran out of cash.
I mean no shit. He has no money. There's gonna be a fuckton of angry vendors at Trump's door after the election. The pollster is just the first one. He just doesnt have money and whats left he's burning through it by going to places like Michigan and New Mexico. All that $16m will go towards into his own pocket somehow through renting space in Trump Tower or paying his buddies Bannon and friends. Its coming.

Their base might not let them.

This. Their base picked Trump as the nominee. They know they have say in how the GOP runs at the national level now. That base isn't just going to leave now. Especially when Limbaugh, Bannon, Drudge, etc ratchet up the rhetoric about Democrats and Hillary after she is elected.

here's the issue with RCP.

RCP_zpsipscnhgm.png

There's a bunch of polls there, but (IIRC) the only ones that actually are included in the average are the greyed out ones.

most of these are demonstrably terrible daily trackers- IBD/TIPP, LA Times/USC, ABC/Washpost, and Fox news for some reason.

This is an AWFUL way of creating a poll average. it's not going to be anywhere near accurate. If you want to look at it as a collection of polls that's fine- but the selection they list is fairly limited in the first place, and the ones they use to create their average are often flat out BAD.

Why is this? well...close races draw clicks. blowouts don't.

In contrast, this is what huffpost/pollster looks like right now (I didn't include everything in the screenshot):

pollster_zpswcuetshx.png

far more polls taken included period, with none of the arbitrary inclusion or exclusion.

RCP has Clinton up an average of 1.7. Pollster has her at +6.

Which do you think is closer to the actual result?

These early voting Florida numbers today.

HNGGGGGGGGGGGG

Steve Schale ‏@steveschale
Total Broward in-person early:

16.7k Dem
8k NPA
6.3k GOP

Steve Schale ‏@steveschale
Looks like #Duuuval had biggest in-person EV of cycle. And decent day for Dems. GOP edge down to 1.3%, with the ex-boss in town tomorrow!

(Duval is heavy GOP FYI. The fact that they're down to 1.3% is big. Obama will be there tomorrow.

HNGGGGGGGGGGGG

(Duval is heavy GOP FYI. The fact that they're down to 1.3% is big. Obama will be there tomorrow.

yeah, I've been saying for months that florida wasn't going to be close at all, and the GOP were going to get blown out.

Polling is flat out wrong there.

I know why LA Times is terrible. Why are the others terrible?

ABC/WaPo tends to have a GOP lean, but it's not necessarily terrible. That said, it's new tracking poll makes no sense as last week it was like C +13. You don't go from that to T +1 in a week.

IDB/TIPP is fine.

Fox News is actually a good pollster.

But his general point, that they only look at a few polls, is correct. Makes no sense.

Kusagari

The polling is wrong in every state with a significant Hispanic majority.

CO, NV and FL will all be far bigger wins than the polls suggest.

Man, what happened to Nate's model?

I thought that people were just uncomfortable with his results, but at this point you really have to question his methodology.

Particularly after the BamBam post earlier in the thread. Really doesn't make any sense.

My guess is there is a lot of weight in the chance-to-win model attached to the 50% popular vote threshold.

Obama was generally leading Romney by only two or three points but he was at or just above 50% for most of the election season.

Clinton's lead has been much higher overall but she has also hovered in the high 40s in the aggregate.

Not at all. They still win local races and will have the house for the foreseeable future.

Exactly, landslide is relative when you consider the fact that the House doesn't move, not to mention all the state/local races. Business as usual for everything but presidential politics if I'm a republican. And those trends were obvious even before Trump.

Eidan

Nate's tweets have been total open ended punditry nonsense. It will be something like "Trump is losing in all VA polls but could see opening because trendz/comey"

Total garbage. Man is lost.
I'm going to have to go through Silver's old 08 and 12 posts and juxtapose them with our new Pundit Nate.

GhaleonEB

HNGGGGGGGGGGGG

Yeah those are great numbers. Dems might be ahead in a few days if that keeps up.

So there's a big TV here at work, and they are always at either Fox News or CNN. I ignore it as much as I can, which is most of the time as it's by the break area. But every time I wander by I can actually feel my stress levels rise as they are in constant panic/crisis mode. I'm trying to avoid this shit and I do NOT appreciate it. :\

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So my local election for school board has one slate of candidates using STRONGER TOGETHER and Hillary's photo in all their mailers. Do you think Hillary endorsed them or are they stealing?

I know why LA Times is terrible. Why are the others terrible?

IBD/TIPP has a laughably inaccurate tracker that always gets moved to the median on the last day of polling so they can put out press releases about how accurate they are.

Washington post called them out for this recently

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-tied-says-he-isnt-worried-about-his-results/

Blumenthal of pollster called them out for this in 2008.

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/hitting_a_bullet_with_a_bullet.html

They may be the absolute worst pollster in the business. Their results are clearly manipulated, and they aren't concerned about accuracy at all. It's pretty rare that mainstream media outlets stop what they're doing to say "this poll is complete bullshit" but here we are.

538 took them out behind the woodshed in regards to their non presidential polling as well- calling them flat out "not trustworthy" back in 09.

edit: LOL

3. As we learned during the Presidntial campaign — when, among other things, they had John McCain winning the youth vote 74-22 — the IBD/TIPP polling operation has literally no idea what they’re doing. I mean, literally none. For example, I don’t trust IBD/TIPP to have competently selected anything resembling a random panel, which is harder to do than you’d think.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ibdtipp-doctors-poll-is-not-trustworthy/

ABC is in a different boat- their tracker is pretty new- the inaugural poll for that was just last week or so.

since then it's been engaged in wild 13 point swings with no clear reason why, in a week with no actual news. (this was before the FBI/Comey news hit.) No other poll not even trackers budged an inch.

There's something wrong with the methodology, but no one knows exactly what yet. it's too new.

TI82

Banned
What doesn't make sense is how someone can be undecided at this point. I understand people opting out because they don't understand politics but being interested but not enough to decide between one or the other? What??

I just can't wait for this to be over. Even with all the crap that's coming towards Hilary and even if we don't take the senate I'll at least be able to sleep easily at night. I haven't gotten a peaceful night of sleep in like a week.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just can't wait for this to be over. Even with all the crap that's coming towards Hilary and even if we don't take the senate I'll at least be able to sleep easily at night. I haven't gotten a peaceful night of sleep in like a week.

After tonight....FIVE sleeps until we know the winner!

I had a bad thought...what if it comes down to like one state that takes forever to count. Ugh.

TI82

Banned
Goddammit, I just learned I accidentally gave an alt-right asshat $30. What can I do to atone?

Give $30 to Jill Stein to balance it out

After tonight....FIVE sleeps until we know the winner!

I had a bad thought...what if it comes down to like one state that takes forever to count. Ugh.

My on campus pub is hosting an election night special so at least we can drown our sorrows in cheap pitchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom