• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Is there a reason why I've been seeing a lot of "trump is going to win, gaf is wrong" posts in OT lately

People seem so sure that Trump will win but I don't ever see any actual explanation for why

Is it all just post-brexit panic or what

It's drive by concern troll posting.

Zukkoyaki

Is there a reason why I've been seeing a lot of "trump is going to win, gaf is wrong" posts in OT lately

People seem so sure that Trump will win but I don't ever see any actual explanation for why

That and people watching the HORSE RACE peddling news

CwTFB8zXAAIVAAB.jpg

lmao

lol

mo60

Duke hijacked the debate for 3 minutes about not getting to answer a question, called out the Jews, yes really, for running the media and helping Hillary and then called for her to get the electric chair.

He actually did that stuff during the debate.

Boke1879

Trump personally calling out Katy Tur is fucking insane. He had no fucking reason to do that. It's not like the media isn't on edge as it is at his events, but you gotta wonder how close something is to happening.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

They don't actually give a shit. If they're right, they don't care. They'll go back to doing whatever. If they're wrong, they don't care. But in the meantime they make you upset.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think they are the "embarrassed to say they are voting for trump" people mixed with primarily abstains

Plenty of hardcore democrats and republicans HATE being affiliated with the party. For one thing, you'll get a ton of annoying mail and phone calls if they know you're in the party.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Trump personally calling out Katy Tur is fucking insane. He had no fucking reason to do that. It's not like the media isn't on edge as it is at his events, but you gotta wonder how close something is to happening.
I was shocked when to her face he accused her of working for HRC. I realized later he's just playing to his base.

Keep in mind also that Colorado is all mail-in so "turnout" is kind of a misnomer. Everyone gets a ballot and mails it in.

That's just the early vote. They still have election day polling stations. Turnout is still a thing. Everyone getting mailed an absentee ballot doesn't mean that everyone votes that way.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They don't actually give a shit. If they're right, they don't care. They'll go back to doing whatever. If they're wrong, they don't care. But in the meantime they make you upset.
It's because people always say the pessimistic thing will happen so they can feel happy if they were wrong and feel like they had already accepted it if the bad thing happens. They want to be pleasantly surprised and not let down.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That's just the early vote. They still have election day polling stations. Turnout is still a thing.
Very few. There's plenty of drop off points to get your ballot in for the election if you don't mail it in time. I'll probably be dropping mine off on Election Day at the bus station I use to go to work.

My state has early voting all week in one location for whoever and has the polls open a day early on campus for students. And this is in a very red state. So things can change!

Well, I should be thankful that Georgia hasn't been cracking down on early voting like NC has.
We get three weeks to vote early here for everyone.

I have a bravo ad/video idea for the Clinton campaign

Its real simple.

Hillary. Sitting in a chair. Casually dismissing all the alt-right rhetoric

"No, I did not kill ten people over the internet."
"No, I am not a demon that smells like sulfur."
"No, I am not a clone of Hillary Clinton."
etc and etc
the longer the better

Hopefully it'll get people to realise how utterly stupid, off the rails and most of all childish the demonizing of HRC had been.

*chefs kiss

subrock

Its real simple.

etc and etc
the longer the better

Hopefully it'll get people to realise how utterly stupid and off the rails the demonizing of HRC had been.

*chefs kiss
That's exactly what a sulfur smelling Internet killing Hillary clone would say

royalan

Its real simple.

etc and etc
the longer the better

Hopefully it'll get people to realise how utterly stupid and off the rails the demonizing of HRC had been.

*chefs kiss

That's... Actually a damn good ad idea...

Turns out the lead (and pretty much only) developer of what had been my favorite game of the year until 5 minutes ago is a shit-tier human. When I bought the game in July I went out of my way to buy directly from the dev instead of giving Steam a cut.

Usually I'm pretty okay about separating art from artist but in this specific situation I just feel disgusting.

This is really depressing and I'm sorry this happened.

I, too, am usually pretty good about separating creator from creation. Obviously their are exceptions both ways and, like you, I would not be able to separate this one because the mentality and politics of the creator directly poison the creation.

I am inclined to say that the damage is done (so to speak) and not to worry about it. When vegans accidentally eat meat, they know they can't un-eat it and just carry on. You can only do the best you can with these kinds of things. It is impossible to be 100% aware of everything you engage with, even if you try your best to be cautious.

I would speak your feelings about the game as often as possible, but don't feel you need to "undo" the purchase. It's just one of those "now you know" sort of things.

It's sad though. I used to be extremely liberal with my online gift giving. I would buy things for people all the time. Steam games, Vita imports, PSN codes, Amazon gift cards, whatever. I bought somebody a computer monitor when they off-handedly mentioned theirs stopped working and they couldn't afford a new one. While I don't regret my acts of kindness, I am now extremely apprehensive about continuing this behavior in fear of enabling or donating to some deplorable.

And I am not pious enough to pretend I'm interested in charity if it's for some deplorable with a frog complex. This election has made me much more skeptical of strangers. I no longer assume the best in them, I tend to fear the worst.

I'm only just realizing this now as I write it to you and it's made me very sad.

TI82

Banned
This is really depressing and I'm sorry this happened.

I, too, am usually pretty good about separating creator from creation. Obviously their are exceptions both ways and, like you, I would not be able to separate this one because the mentality and politics of the creator directly poison the creation.

I am inclined to say that the damage is done (so to speak) and not to worry about it. When vegans accidentally eat meat, they know they can't un-eat it and just carry on. You can only do the best you can with these kinds of things. It is impossible to be 100% aware of everything you engage with, even if you try your best to be cautious.

I would speak your feelings about the game as often as possible, but don't feel you need to "undo" the purchase. It's just one of those "now you know" sort of things.

It's sad though. I used to be extremely liberal with my online gift giving. I would buy things for people all the time. Steam games, Vita imports, PSN codes, Amazon gift cards, whatever. I bought somebody a computer monitor when they off-handedly mentioned theirs stopped working and they couldn't afford a new one. While I don't regret my acts of kindness, I am now extremely apprehensive about continuing this behavior in fear of enabling or donating to some deplorable.

And I am not pious enough to pretend I'm interested in charity if it's for some deplorable with a frog complex. This election has made me much more skeptical of strangers. I no longer assume the best in them, I tend to fear the worst.

I'm only just realizing this now as I write it to you and it's made me very sad.

That BoneZone guy on reddit is what really threw me for a loop as far as strangers political habits.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why are people surprised that the Latino vote wouldn't be higher or less than before? The participation rate has been very low in the US, and that was true among white people. There's more white people than others, and there's a lot more people coming out to vote this time around, and that's likely to be white people voting for "their man". It's the angry people that have been pissed at congress that are coming out in greater numbers, and that's white people.

Its real simple.

etc and etc
the longer the better

Hopefully it'll get people to realise how utterly stupid, off the rails and most of all childish the demonizing of HRC had been.

*chefs kiss
That type of commercial worked very well for Christine "I'm not a witch" O'Donnell.

Its real simple.

etc and etc
the longer the better

*chefs kiss

Seems ok, but every campaign manager in the country upon hearing this, will immediately get hives thinking about Christine O'Donnell's "I'm not a witch, I'm you!" commercial, and then proceed to start drinking.

https://youtu.be/ek3OUay2uWw

Edit: Damn, beaten

Syncytia

Its real simple.

etc and etc
the longer the better

*chefs kiss

Put in a dude with a suit that goes back and forth smelling some sulfur and Hillary.

Smells hillary. Pause thoughtfully.
Smell sulfur.
Smell Hillary again. Shake head with look of disappointment.

Also have a box with an uncanny valley robot that looks sort of but not like Hillary. "Actually my clone is in this box. It's pretty good but the technology isn't quite all the way there yet."

Gruco

Banned
Now that the trends show that the race is tightening because of FBI emails horserace bothsides Benghazi, don't you think it's time for GAF to show a little more respect to impartial math genius Nate Silver? I think we should treat his prediction that Marco rubio will become king of the Senate and impeach Hillary a little more seriously.

mo60

This election might yield the best public meltdown in modern history

I wonder if it tops what jim prentice did last year in the Alberta provincial election. Dude ditched the people who voted for him in his riding which he won despite his party losing the election by like a double digit margin.

Put in a dude with a suit that goes back and forth smelling some sulfur and Hillary.

Smells hillary. Pause thoughtfully.
Smell sulfur.
Smell Hillary again. Shake head with look of disappointment.

Also have a box with an uncanny valley robot that looks sort of but not like Hillary. "Actually my clone is in this box. It's pretty good but the technology isn't quite all the way there yet."

yea, humor like this would help with the message a lot

That type of commercial worked very well for Christine "I'm not a witch" O'Donnell.

Seems ok, but every campaign manager in the country upon hearing this, will immediately get hives thinking about Christine O'Donnell's "I'm not a witch, I'm you!" commercial, and then proceed to start drinking.

goddamnit, people always fucking my shit up.
thanks Christine, whom I have never heard of until this moment

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Start off with, "Over the years a lot of people have come up with some crazy conspiracy theories concerning me. That for example..." Then list like 10 minutes worth, we know there's at least that much.

The thing with O'Donnell is that there was actually something to the witch thing. It was something silly and small, but there was something there.

Yeah, you never address conspiracy theories/weird bullshit directly. That stuff has less reach than you would think, when a candidate comments on it it only validates it.

O'Donnell's witch stuff was a bit more well-known, but I think it would have been less of a big deal if she'd just ignored it.

Instead she makes an ad where she says "I'm not a witch" and suddenly undecided voters are like "What the fuck is this person talking about? Did someone say she was a witch?"

goddamnit, people always fucking my shit up.
thanks Christine, whom I have never heard of until this moment

It's not her fault, she was a horrible candidate, even during a wave election for the GOP. The fact she had to cut such a stupid commercial is probably SNLs fault. But that means you may have a future in comedy writing keep working at it!

Loudninja

Some early vote stuff posted by Black Mamba earlier

Lily Adams ‏@adamslily 14m14 minutes ago
NV: Over half a million people have voted so far and turnout in Clark Co is up 17% compared to this point in 2012. Dems still outpacing GOP

Lily Adams ‏@adamslily 9m9 minutes ago
NC: Dem counties surging - Durham outpacing '12 by 19%, Mecklenburg County, outpacing '12 by 6%, and Wake County outpacing '12 by 17%.

Lily Adams ‏@adamslily
FL: Over half a million African American voters have cast ballots so far which is ⅓ higher than at this point in 2012.

Early voting seems to be going well.

Sibylus

Banned
Making an ad debunking outlandish conspiracy theories is a spectacular waste of money, time, and opportunity. Streisand Effect and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom