• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebruin

Here's a screenshot of that (very real) Tweet:
CvbqTJ3XYAEARkC.jpg

much cooler sig than trump. gets my vote.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I've defended FiveThirtyEight quite a bit in the past, but I've reached my limit with how much his model overreacts to new polls. High skepticism months ago was more believable when there were less polls and uncertain long term variables, but it's just ridiculous now.

FiveThirtyEight is a good idea that's been implemented poorly. Serious changes need to be made otherwise it's going to be irrelevant.

So looking over the Senate polls, it's pretty crazy how close almost everything is. Some of these are crap pollsters, but.

New Hampshire

QvbihT1.png

Indiana

NhTNmHd.png

Missouri

GbsIhEw.png

Nevada

wfgSPac.png

North Carolina

6Gh1n5M.png

Wisconsin:

i5zDDU9.png

ALSO, wow. I hadn't quite realized it had gotten this bad for Toomey:

IAKo4Ew.png

GhaleonEB

So RCP did an article about how you can't read anything into the early voting patterns. Election Project's Michael McDonald had fun with that.

appears @SeanTrende subtweeting me. Agree if you don't have knowledge or data skills, poll averages are easier

NC crosstabs from earlier today: White women +59,941 from 2012, White men +38,118 (Blacks affected by poll closures)

And for a real subtweet: you can't learn this information from a poll

In between were a couple retweets about the fact that 55% of the EV in Florida are women. I didn't realize it was so high. Wow.

border

I've defended FiveThirtyEight quite a bit in the past, but I've reached my limit with how much his model overreacts to new polls.

I don't think 538 manipulates the numbers for clicks like everyone else. But I would be curious why his model for Florida tends to slant in favor of Trump. Even when Clinton wins a poll by 1 or 2 points, the adjusted figure often comes up as Trump+1 or Trump+2.

TI82

Banned
Can't believe I'm still having to combat the "Hillary got a child molestor free and laughed about it" myth. The smear campaign really works.

there was also this
JyxqEeV.png
So what, does he think Clinton is going to lose? Does he want to go on record with that?

His model is going to close to a 51-49 difference, he'll concern tweet about everything being too close to call while every other model/analyst has it at 90+%, and then look like a total fucking tool when it's an early night for Clinton. God, what a fucking mess.

Cerium

So what, does he think Clinton is going to lose? Does he want to go on record with that?

His model is going to close to a 51-49 difference, he'll concern tweet about everything being too close to call while every other model/analyst has it at 90+%, and then look like a total fucking tool when it's an early night for Clinton. God, what a fucking mess.

Nate is a mess. Nate is a waste. Nate is a big fat mess.

I don't think 538 manipulates the numbers for clicks like everyone else. But I would be curious why his model for Florida tends to slant in favor of Trump. Even when Clinton wins a poll by 1 or 2 points, the adjusted figure often comes up as Trump+1 or Trump+2.
It makes sense when you consider nonpartisan response bias leading to systemic polling error.

He'll have an article the next day saying "wow, this race was really close and it was a very unstable election (lol) but we ultimately got it right!" and then people will pretend that it was a close and volatile election and nothing will be learned. See, "no one predicted Trump!" because 538 screwed the pooch in the primary.

Nate is a mess. Nate is a waste. Nate is a big fat mess.
I mean it's not even about what combination of states gets her to 270 or whatever, it's just blatantly obvious this is going to be an easy Clinton win even if it's not a particularly huge one. Big leads in WI/MI/NH/PA/CO/VA already seals the deal. If one of those falters then she's doing great in NV/FL/NC. I still think she takes IA/AZ/OH but if she doesn't then who cares? They'll likely be too close to call until well after she's crossed 270. Trying to sit here and play concern troll devil's advocate when he's ostensibly a credible statician is only going to hurt his credibility further after blowing the primary so badly (and also in defiance of all available data and basic perception).

Emarv

He doesn't think she's gonna lose. He just has let his feud with Wang go a little too far (he makes a snide comment on just about every podcast episode he does lately) and he's deathly afraid of looking dumb, so he's hedging his bets by trying to cover as many bases as possible.

Either way, yeah, a total mess.

I'm reading about Hitler's rise to power. It's amazing how similar trumps campaign strategies are to that of Hitler's.

"For Hitler, the master speech maker, the long awaited opportunity to let loose his talents on the German people had arrived. He would find in this downtrodden people, an audience very willing to listen. In his speeches, Hitler offered the Germans what they needed most, encouragement. He gave them heaps of vague promises while avoiding the details. He used simple catchphrases, repeated over and over."

"Hitler offered something to everyone: work to the unemployed; prosperity to failed business people; profits to industry; expansion to the Army; social harmony and an end of class distinctions to idealistic young students; and restoration of German glory to those in despair. He promised to bring order amid chaos; a feeling of unity to all and the chance to belong. He would make Germany strong again; end payment of war reparations to the Allies; tear up the treaty of Versailles; stamp out corruption; keep down Marxism; and deal harshly with the Jews."

Emarv

Be careful. Two more quotes and we summon BeetleKev!

Basically Nate has been pushing the notion lately that "Well, what if all polls are off and she's actually not winning!" for various stastically dubious and wholly unnecessary/misleading reasons.

Debirudog

Nate Copper really doesn't deserve his crediblity so much when he fucked up time and time again. Going all stupid just because you fucked up on your predictions doesn't mean you can spout garbage like CUBS -> TRUMP WIN. Wish people would just stop looking at the 538 poll. That includes my economic professor.

Be careful. Two more quotes and we summon BeetleKev!

Basically Nate has been pushing the notion lately that "Well, what if all polls are off and she's actually not winning!" for various stastically dubious and wholly unnecessary/misleading reasons.
It'a shocking that he does that now.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Is the Silver medal winner of the Nate Olympics still making dumb analyses?

Yes, I'm going to continue using that joke until someone laughs, goddamn it.

So looking over the Senate polls, it's pretty crazy how close almost everything is. Some of these are crap pollsters, but.

ALSO, wow. I hadn't quite realized it had gotten this bad for Toomey:

IAKo4Ew.png

As someone from PA voting for McGinty, this is some fucking amazing news. Can't wait for him to crash and burn (Toomey) :).

Also, I'm still annoyed as fuck that voting day is not either a national holiday or pushed back to a fucking Saturday.

Emarv

What if he doesn't deserve a title, though? He's just Nate. Some dude who used to play online poker and now runs a site that still spends too much time using gamblers as his peers rather than other statisticians.

I actually don't hate Nate. He's being a goober this year and slowly embracing his heel turn. It's kind of funny to watch. Hopefully Harry betrays him and goes for the title solo or something.

I probably shouldn't mix political fan fiction with wrestling, should I? Might awaken some PoliGAF posts nobody really needs to see.

Pixieking

Banned
So Comeygate has barely moved the needle for voters, but has fired-up both campaigns. Woo?

More dangerous is I think Trump being on-message lately.

There must be a mistake, because the last data point corresponds to 48% but is labeled 47%.

I think it's a pretty crappy graph in general.

By the way, the update on the site doesn't go live until the morning but if you just change the date in the image URL the night before you will get a sneak peek. You can try it with November 1st and October 31 and see those updates.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
So Comeygate has barely moved the needle for voters, but has fired-up both campaigns. Woo?

More dangerous is I think Trump being on-message lately.

Literally the only thing comeygate has done has made trump into a focused campaigner for 5 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom