• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grym

I had a panic attack thinking that all those people are showing up to not vote for hillary. That the numbers are right and wrong at the same time

Didn't they say the clintion server had not been breached? Comey during his press conference

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/p...-clinton2019s-use-of-a-personal-e-mail-system
With respect to potential computer intrusion by hostile actors, we did not find direct evidence that Secretary Clinton’s personal e-mail domain, in its various configurations since 2009, was successfully hacked. But, given the nature of the system and of the actors potentially involved, we assess that we would be unlikely to see such direct evidence. We do assess that hostile actors gained access to the private commercial e-mail accounts of people with whom Secretary Clinton was in regular contact from her personal account. We also assess that Secretary Clinton’s use of a personal e-mail domain was both known by a large number of people and readily apparent. She also used her personal e-mail extensively while outside the United States, including sending and receiving work-related e-mails in the territory of sophisticated adversaries. Given that combination of factors, we assess it is possible that hostile actors gained access to Secretary Clinton’s personal e-mail account.

Reminder today, early voting is giving us a super clear picture this year in many states.

(((Harry Enten)))
@ForecasterEnten
Something like 60%+ of NV has already voted. Numbers are consistent with a Clinton win, unless there's something funky is up.

Harry "Funky Boy" Enten

#KingsOfCatchphrasePollery

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
*reads wsj report*

So there was disagreement but seniors at the FBI and the DoJ said don't do anything

*reads Fox News stuff*

Uh huh

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I had a panic attack thinking that all those people are showing up to not vote for hillary. That the numbers are right and wrong at the same time

Didn't they say the clintion server had not been breached? Comey during his press conference

He said some bullshit statement that they did not find evidence that there was a breach but that doesn't mean there wasn't!

Pixieking

Banned

Ah, so it's possible they found something, but it would be indirect evidence, and it would be from Weiner's computer. I'd fucking die laughing if Weiner guessed email passwords and downloaded everything to his PC.

Edit: But even that doesn't explain the "hacked by at least five foreign intelligence agencies". So, genuinely is just fucking with people, because they're annoyed they didn't get to go on a FBI-sponsored witch-hunt against Hillary/Clinton Foundation.

Zukkoyaki

Actually reading that Fox article shows what a sensationalized headline it is. First off as others have said it's Fox and other more reputable outlets like WSJ are telling a different story. But the big thing is that it doesn't say they're heading for an indictment, it says that there may be push for that if there really is pay for play.

Yeah. Their model, like most, is entirely Poll based. Nothing you can really do about that at this point. Maybe something for forecasters to consider going forward.

Aye. And Polls+ is basically entirely broken.

Accounting for early voting returns seems like a pretty easy step, though. Should definitely be in place for next time.

Honestly, I still have faith in the 538 model, it's just that it's getting fed garbage inputs; bad polls weighted heavily in the interest of hyping the horserace. Aggregates are only as good as the polls you feed into them.

Wait, that was the NH poll that was BOMBSHELL going to get everyone talking!

tumblr_ntassiA65V1tulhy0o3_540.gif

So, all these early voting numbers on the number of Dems v Reps, etc.....it doesn't necessarily show WHO they voted for, right? Just their party affiliation? I know the correlation is probably high, but I'm just wondering.

Sometimes certain polls ask who they voted for the poll from TargetSmart had her leading early votes. They interviewed who they voted for and they verified if they actually voted. The large lead lines up with other pollsters who polled people about the same thing. The totals seen in Dems vs GOP vs NP is the number of people who voted early that is it. It can be seen here http://www.electproject.org/early_2016 .

BriGuy

Trust the Polls™
I don't know what or who to trust anymore because I hear so many conflicting things. It's contributing to me being an anxious wreck around the clock and I hate it.

Is Hillary still poised to win, or are we just dabbling in the "poll unskewing" that led the Republicans astray last time? I almost wish I could enter a medically induced coma until next Wednesday and just take the final result full force. The uncertainty and the waiting are killing me.

I don't know what or who to trust anymore because I hear so many conflicting things. It's contributing to me being an anxious wreck around the clock and I hate it.

Is Hillary still poised to win, or are we just dabbling in the "poll unskewing" that led the Republicans astray last time? I almost wish I could enter a medically induced coma until next Wednesday and just take the final result full force. The uncertainty and the waiting are killing me.

No unskewing. Polls show her with a decisive win.

The electoral college doesn't add up for Trump.

Wait, that was the NH poll that was BOMBSHELL going to get everyone talking!

tumblr_ntassiA65V1tulhy0o3_540.gif

Well what do you expect when the Trump himself sees an AZ poll with him ahead by only 1 point and thinks "Yes!! I'm winning!!! I gotta show this to people on Twitter."

FUCK.
What if Huma IS doing the cyber on that laptop and she IS Wikileaks.

What if Anthony Weiner was actually sexting Julian Assange?

T. R. Ramachandran‏ @yottapoint
Dear @FoxNews - May I have some muffins with that?
CwUCoKDVEAAynqA.jpg

You guys seriously need to follow @yottapoint. Cuts straight through all this haze of bullshit created by the rightwing regarding Clintons. And he doesn't even work for them.

What if Anthony Weiner was actually sexting Julian Assange?
I think Julian may be too old for Anthony.
Then who was Weiner's phone?
Weiner's phone was actually Hillary's phone> Cause after she had one of her lesbian seizure parties where she was basically dying, she decided to get on Kik and look at some pictures. But then she recognized the sheets from Weiner's house (because she's secretly having an affair with Huma, duh) and was like OH MY GOD. So she took the bleach to the phone. I mean, not her, obviously. She was already in her medically induced coma, because she's like 93% dead already. (could be more or less when we adjust for TRENDZ) And then she texted her friend Harambe, but he was going to leak to the failing NYT, so she invoked Brexit and then had him murdered by the League of Assassins. And something about PAY TO PLAY

tuffy

The notion that the FBI is going to swoop in and save the day for Trump is little more than a Republican fantasy. The Clinton Foundation has already been probed ad nauseam and no wrongdoing was found, so maybe it really is a respectable charity! They didn't just happen to do the right thing 99% of the time, oh except for that one indictment-worthy pay-for-play incident that we're somehow just finding out now. Contrast it with Trump's "charity" which had a whole laundry list of shady dealings.

Same thing with Weiner's emails. We've already established that Clinton is not especially computer-savvy and she relied on the judgement of others for the proper handling of classified materials. So the idea that Weiner somehow wound up with the emails that are going to change everything just isn't plausible.

The election will go on, Clinton will win, and Comey will announce that they found nothing significant sometime afterward.

Zukkoyaki

I get the vibe that Harry Enten is growing skeptical of the 538 model. He's been calling out outlier and bad polls on Twitter more, deviating from the group in podcasts and conversations more and then he wrote that article about Nevada early.

Obviously these guys aren't dumb and have to recognize how odd some of the movements in their model are. Like the near 2% drop because of a Missouri poll last night.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
YAAAAS NONRESPONSE BIAS LEADING TO SYSTEMIC POLLING ERROR

ONLY IN THE OPPOSITE WAY NATE THINKS

Actually, doesn't his model allow for systemic polling error both ways? Aren't his odds for a Clinton blowout higher than other models?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, doesn't his model allow for systemic polling error both ways? Aren't his odds for a Clinton blowout higher than other models?

They are, yes. His upper bound for Clinton's performance is significantly higher than Wang's.

sazzy

Sam SteinVerified account
‏@samsteinhp
Reuters/Ipsos state polls

Mich: HRC 40, DJT 36
Ohio: HRC 43, DJT 39
PA: HRC 45, DJT 39

Kimawolf

So cam someone help me understand why some polls are so different?

I mean the Princeton poll gives Hillary 98% chance to win, but Nate Silver only gives her a 67 percent chance now. In CNN she is only up 4 points over all? So why the difference and which one is more correct?

I get the vibe that Harry Enten is growing skeptical of the 538 model. He's been calling out outlier and bad polls on Twitter more, deviating from the group in podcasts and conversations more and then he wrote that article about Nevada early.

Obviously these guys aren't dumb and have to recognize how odd some of the movements in their model are. Like the near 2% drop because of a Missouri poll last night.

Does Nate own 538 or could all the reasonable people kick him off the team?

Like it's not even subtle anymore, Nate it at peak "HORSE RACE" bullshit. I don't know if it's because he doesn't want to admit to wanting Trump to win or if he just has PTSD from making a fool of himself during the primaries, but someone needs to intervene and tell him that he needs to accept the fact that Trump won the primaries and Hillary will win this Tuesday.

Pyrokai

It's hard to sort through what's real and what's hyperbole here sometimes: Is the Clinton Foundation legit going to get indictment?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So cam someone help me understand why some polls are so different?

I mean the Princeton poll gives Hillary 98% chance to win, but Nate Silver only gives her a 67 percent chance now. In CNN she is only up 4 points over all? So why the difference and which one is more correct?

Princeton and 538 aren't polls. They're models. They use polls as data points to create a prediction of the election result. Both Princeton and 538 have approximately the same prediction - 538's Nowcast has Clinton leading the popular vote by 3%, Princeton's Snapshot has Clinton leading the meta-margin (which for them is functionally equivalent to the popular vote) by 3.1%. However, 538 incorporates a wider number of variables, which produces a greater degree of uncertainty; Princeton uses a relatively small number, which produces a smaller degree of uncertainty. So 538 thinks that right now Clinton is 3% ahead, but things could still change a reasonable amount; Princeton thinks right now Clinton is 3.1% ahead and that is de facto locked in.

The CNN poll is within the margin of error of both of the current snapshot predictions from 538 and Princeton and is entirely consistent with both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom