• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ratings. Reports of a tightening race or the other candidate getting ahead will make a person tune in for more information, telling them that things are still the same will make them tune out.

EDIT: Adding to this, if the situation were reversed and it was Hillary behind most of the time, they'd report it the same way with her "leading" or "closing the gap."

You can make up many explanations. Suspense in the race leads to better viewership, they don't want to be involved in the alt-right aftermath that will go in on all the Lügenpresse with rigged polls or stupidity.

Because a tight race ensures higher ratings?

No one is going to bother with watching CNN if a Clinton win looks inevitable.

It's the same reason why every media outlet was harping on Romney's "victory" in the first debate in 2012.

I'm a news network. I like people watching me so I get lots of monies. I have a very big election coming up and would like everyone to watch me.

Option 1: The race is probably going to be a blowout. Clinton will win and it could be an early night.

Option 2: DEAD HEAT DEAD HEAT DEAD HEAT

Option 2 gets more people watching, sadly.

can't we just report the TRUTH as News?

Crunched the numbers for Hamilton County, Ohio again.

Three days ago:

Code:
Party 2012 Ret   2016 Ret  Pct Chg
NON    27,231     29,516      8%
REP    20,701     24,788     20%
DEM    19,512     21,428     10%
GRE        60         57     -5%
LIB        23         20    -13%

"Yesterday" (they haven't processed all the data, friends of mine who voted at 6pm last night haven't shown up in the data dump yet)

Code:
Party 2012 Ret   2016 Ret  Pct Chg
----- --------   --------  -------
NON    30,869     33,110      7%
REP    23,170     26,939     16%
DEM    21,546     23,725     10%
GRE        69         64     -7%
LIB        25         22    -12%

I had to do a double take. I cant believe I read this tweet from Jonathan Martin at NYT

Jonathan Martin‏ @jmartNYT

Why are Dems so consumed w driving voters to early vote in NC? U can register OR change address and still vote on site. Can't do on e day

sazzy

I had to do a double take. I cant believe I read this tweet from Jonathan Martin at NYT

I was confused too. But I think he's asking a rhetorical question and then answering it himself.

as in, change address/register and vote on the same day can be done while early voting, but not on election day, and thats why dems want to push people to early vote

he could've worded it well, but twitter...

Blader

And the Palin pick revealing itself to be a big, big mistake. McCain also played stupid stunts like suspending his campaign, which Obama ethered him on.

well I meant, why did his odds just crater to their lowest point between 9/9 and 9/19, before shooting up again.

I was confused too. But I think he's asking a rhetorical question and then answering it himself.

as in, change address/register and vote on the same day can be done while early voting, but not on election day, and thats why dems want to push people to early vote

Oh, that makes sense.

well I meant, why did his odds just crater to their lowest point between 9/9 and 9/19, before shooting up again.

That's probably when he went through the charade of "suspending" his campaign, stiffing Letterman, and trying to get out a debate.

The main problem, of course, being stiffing Letterman.

shiba5

Apparently the Trump team thinks suburban women can relate to Melania.
Be right back... checking for gold plated bathroom, limo, private jet, butler, masseuse, and old wrinkled sugar daddy.

That'd be a NOPE.

johnny956

Yea I read it that way, he's staying that's why Dem's want people to vote early as you have that advantage if something is off where on election day you don't have that opportunity

Megyn Kelly details Roger Ailes' harassment:

CwWISfIWIAIym8p.jpg

Futureman

Be right back... checking for gold plated bathroom, limo, private jet, butler, masseuse, and old wrinkled sugar daddy.

That'd be a NOPE.
They both don't have penises though, so I'm not sure I see your point.

Tobor

That'd be a NOPE.

You remember the Romney's horse elevator? What a difference four years makes.

Tales from this morning.

Here's Trump guy. He was breaking Ohio election law, as he was closer than 100ft to the entrance to the BOE. He didn't say anything to me.

y8mgt5F.jpg

Here's Democrat lady. Her girlfriend is a judicial candidate. She was across the street where electioneering is allowed.

Q4ul0tI.jpg

dramatis

Tales from this morning.

Here's Trump guy. He was breaking Ohio election law, as he was closer than 100ft to the entrance to the BOE. He didn't say anything to me.
Doesn't the election site have a police officer on hand? In NYC we send the officer out to get people to move away if they're too close lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom