• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paskowitz

My primary concern with millennials and and gen Z is that while they may have access to more information and in general are more liberal than their parents, their/our ability to reason and come to these view points based on reasoning, observation, deduction, etc is depressingly low. IMO this is due to the overwhelming amount of information and by effect, not being able to sift through the increased amount of bad information.

It isn't what they believe it is how and why that concerns me.

THERE IS NO EARLY VOTING IN PA.

THEY ARE GOING TO PA BECAUSE THERE IS EARLY VOTING IN LESS SAFE STATES AND THIS IS THEIR ONE CHANCE TO RALLY THE TROOPS.

THIS IS WHY THEY ARE GOING TO MICHIGAN EVEN THOUGH OHIO, WISCONSIN, AND IOWA ARE MUCH MORE PRECARIOUS. THIS IS WHY THERE HAVE BEEN ALMOST NO TRIPS TO NEVADA.

THIS IS ALSO WHY SHE'LL PROBABLY GO TO NEW HAMPSHIRE THIS WEEKEND.

aljdksfjalsdufhga;sdklfja;sdfugyaehioaw;ovhoauhvao;wvcna;lkshv;a8ghefv'awrkvcaw
eferghsnfbx dvsfrytruy

If you are going to be scared our outraged or confused, take a moment to think.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
28% of Republicans aren't voting Hillary. It's just not even remotely realistic. Trump still doesn't have great odds in Florida, but it's not because a quarter of registered Republicans are voting for someone they've spent the last three decades demonizing.

I keep seeing this sentiment. I am curious--aren't Cuban-Americans traditionally republican? Don't they hate Trump because of the Cuba dealings? What percent of the vote are they?

Gen Z is looking even better than millennials since they will likely be more educated and more diverse, two demographics that are poisonous to the Republican party.

Gen Z will probably be somewhat more Republican than the millennials because they don't remember the Bush administration. Unless we elect another horrible GOP President in the next couple of cycles.

Clearly, you haven't been listening to the millennial-heavy NPR Politics podcast.

Gracious, they're insufferable.

"I feel like," "My thing," "Beyonce," etc. No political perspective at all. And that's just Sam Sanders.

Look, Sam Sanders is fucking awful at analysis regardless of his generation. He's lucky that Gen-Xer Nate Silver is very publicly embarrassing himself as an analyst right now so no one has time to notice him being just as awful at it.

All I need to look at is the "If only Millennials voted" map and see it sitting at 400+ EVs for Hillary Clinton to know that we're not that bad.

I'm always surprised how a ton of red states have early voting and simple mail ins, and I'm sitting here in NY and there's nothing I can do but wait to vote...

Come on Albany.

Christian

So are we wetting the bed or not? Legitimately. Not the fake, oh, my cat peed in the bed but I'm gonna take the credit to be funny kind of peeing. The full bladder bursting, minutes of dark yellow PISSING the bed. Are we there yet?

pigeon

Banned
28% of Republicans aren't voting Hillary. It's just not even remotely realistic. Trump still doesn't have great odds in Florida, but it's not because a quarter of registered Republicans are voting for someone they've spent the last three decades demonizing.

28% of Republicans who turned out for early voting voted Hillary is not the same as 28% of Republicans overall voting Hillary.

Early voting reflects turnout and GOTV operations. Trump has none.

Bowdz

So are we wetting the bed or not? Legitimately. Not the fake, oh, my cat peed in the bed but I'm gonna take the credit to be funny kind of peeing. The full bladder bursting, minutes of dark yellow PISSING the bed. Are we there yet?

Presidential race - no.
Senate - it's going to be close.

I think much like we classify Nates into "good" and "bad" we need to classify millennials in the same way.

Millennials born before 1990: Good
Millennials born 1990 and after: Bad

Crocodile

The fact that voting procedures (whether or not there is early voting or mail in ballots or even absentee ballots) vary WILDLY from state to state is so fucking stupid. It never made a lick of sense to me and that even before taking into account partisan governments that may be in charge of a particular state.

My primary concern with millennials and and gen Z is that while they may have access to more information and in general are more liberal than their parents, their/our ability to reason and come to these view points based on reasoning, observation, deduction, etc is depressingly low. IMO this is due to the overwhelming amount of information and by effect, not being able to sift through the increased amount of bad information.

It isn't what they believe it is how and why that concerns me.

But how do you know it's worse than any other generation?

So uhh I've never gone to one of these events but I just RSVPed for this Monday night Avengers rally in Philly. Like its potentially 3 presidents in 1 shot, how can I not?

I assume that I still need to go early and wait in line to get in?

NYTimes published a story about Trump not being as rich as he says he is:
Trump Income Is Lower Than He Claims, Records Suggest
- Records of Mr. Trump’s tax appeals and other documents indicate that actual income from some of his businesses may be nowhere near what he has reported on financial disclosures.
- The records demonstrate that after expenses, some of his businesses make a small fraction of what he reported on disclosure forms, or actually lose money.
http://nytimes.com/2016/11/04/us/politics/donald-trump-money.html

Where was this in coherence with your tax story at the beginning of october, NYT?

The female Trump supporter takes the cake. Blaming Obama for the worsening of race relations is one of the laziest right wing talking points around.
Yeah I've seen that going around. I guess it's his fault racists don't like him for being black :discust
I am just out of college (Business Major at Drexel University) and it is staggering how myopic and naive the majority of college students are. "My feelings tell me this, and fuck reason and logic, I can't be seen as being wrong."
I graduated in 2011 and I can't say I remember it being like this at all but then again the youth vote wasn't exactly split like this at the time, it was strongly favoring Obama.

In my experience as a millennial living in Austin, there's a significant number of liberals backing stein or hoping to write in Sanders and those who back Clinton tend to do so more quietly. I, however, have no problem speaking my mind on the subject and correcting bad info, but also I remember to listen when I lack the knowledge!

Y'all see this hilarious 6 Ways Trump Could Win headline on CNN?
BfPMXll.png

steveovig

I'm trying to make any sense of 538's model. I think in NC, HRC has won a vast majority of the polls yet Trump has over 50% chance at winning. There are similar situations in a couple other states too. Is Nate's model really flawed or is it just GAF citizens saying this and we're really fucked right now?

I keep seeing this sentiment. I am curious--aren't Cuban-Americans traditionally republican? Don't they hate Trump because of the Cuba dealings? What percent of the vote are they?

I keep posting this, and will continue to until Tuesday. Cubans are more Republican, but only the older ones. The younger group is far more in line with their wider cohort

IMG_20161019_094012.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I keep posting this, and will continue to until Tuesday. Cubans are more Republican, but only the older ones. The younger group is far more in line with their wider cohort

IMG_20161019_094012.jpg

Thanks--haven't seen this at all yet. Been busy this week. Answers my question.

BiggNife

I'm trying to make any sense of 538's model. I think in NC, HRC has won a vast majority of the polls yet Trump has over 50% chance at winning. There are similar situations in a couple other states too. Is Nate's model really flawed or is it just GAF citizens saying this and we're really fucked right now?

It's hard to say if it's flawed or not but 538's model is unquestionably far more volatile than other prediction models.

While 538 has Hillary at 65%,

• NYT Upshot has her at 86%
  • Princeton has her at >99% (!!)
  • Huffington Post has her at 99% (!!!)
  • Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball has her getting at least 293 electoral votes.

538 being so inconsistent with other reliable prediction models makes me really skeptical.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hilary's facebook is hilarious the last few days. It just keeps diablosing about how Trump is winning and how if you don't donate America is over.

Plinko

BadRNG said:
#HillaryIndictment is currently trending.

Social media was a mistake.

With how well this works for republicans, I am really surprised we haven't seen democrats start trying to do this same thing. Make up something huge, then spread it on social media.

All this talk of generations is just more absurd "us versus them" nonsense that humans have an innate need to break things down into because binary oppositions are so much easier than having to actually assess information on a case-by-case basis. There are idiotic millennials. There are brilliant millennials. Same thing with Gen-Xers, Baby Boomers, Greatest Generation, the Silent Generation (are they even around anymore?), etc. All this talk of "well this generation is full of idiots" is intellectual laziness and doesn't really address the fact that, for all their stupidity (and let's face it, young people in any generation have always done stupid things), the youth in this country today are a lot less receptive to Trump's message of hatred and bigotry than older generations. That doesn't seem like a collection of idiots to me.

Emarv

Apparently Tim Kaine is in Arizona today giving a speech entirely in Spanish.

Ummmm....why hasn't he been doing this all fall????

Zyae

It's hard to say if it's flawed or not but 538's model is unquestionably far more volatile than other prediction models.

While 538 has Hillary at 65%,

• NYT Upshot has her at 86%
  • Princeton has her at >99% (!!)
  • Huffington Post has her at 99% (!!!)
  • Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball has her getting at least 293 electoral votes.

538 being so inconsistent with other reliable prediction models makes me really skeptical.

They've written at length why their model gives trump a better chance than others.

With how well this works for republicans, I am really surprised we haven't seen democrats start trying to do this same thing. Make up something huge, then spread it on social media.

For all this talk about how Republicans are in shambles, they are doing a lot of things right. They've taken over social media with the help of Trump's 4chan people and old conservatives sharing stuff on facebook. They seem to have had a cavalcade of stuff ready to throw against Clinton to keep bad headlines for her in the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom