• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born in 1980. I have seen plenty of articles calling me a millennial based on that, but I consider 1980 as right at the end of Gen X. I don't feel like I have a lot in common with someone born in 1990 or beyond. I was about to graduate college when 9/11 happened. Many millennials weren't even out of grade school then.
I think as time goes on the generational divides should become shorter. I think Millennials fit nicely being born in ~1985 to ~1996. Gen X would probably be 1970 to ~1984.

I was in college for 1.5 months when 9/11 happened. Let's just say before that day and after that day I was a different person.

I was in 6th grade and wasn't really able to comprehend what was going on or why this was a bigger deal than any other random plane crash.

It also didn't help that our teachers didn't really know how to explain it to us, so it mostly through rumors and stuff that I learned what was going on.

Hopfrog

Still time to drop oppo (ugh, that term) that might affect Republican turnout on election day. But the cake is pretty much baked at this point. Would have to be something big.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Probably. The window to release anything is either today or tomorrow....and two "big" leads would end up drowning each other out l

If there's leads he should at least put them out at this point. I'm betting he's full of it.

I was in 6th grade and wasn't really able to comprehend what was going on or why this was a bigger deal than any other random plane crash.

It also didn't help that our teachers didn't really know how to explain it to us, so it mostly through rumors and stuff that I learned what was going on.

I was in sixth grade too. I remember when the teachers found out, it was during math class. We were doing triangles and the whole atmosphere of the room changed. The following period they made the vague announcement, suspended the rest of the classes (everyone would just stay where they were) and parents started pulling kids out.

Wiz

Random thought: Droppo the Oppo sounds like a grade school mascot who teaches kids about the fundamentals of campaigning against your opponent.

I should trademark this.

The real question is - what animal/thing could he be?

Still time to drop oppo (ugh, that term) that might affect Republican turnout on election day. But the cake is pretty much baked at this point. Would have to be something big.

The best part about November 9th? We won't have to hear the word "oppo" again for 3 whole goddamn years.

Random thought: Droppo the Oppo sounds like a grade school mascot who teaches kids about the fundamentals of campaigning against your opponent.

I should trademark this.

"Stoppo, Droppo, Oppo"

The mascot is obviously an over-caffienated hedgehog

sazzy

Robby MookVerified account
‏@RobbyMook
Huge news! More early votes have now been cast in Florida than in all of 2012.

I should trademark this.

A Seussian amalgamation of a donkey and elephant

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's hard to say if it's flawed or not but 538's model is unquestionably far more volatile than other prediction models.

While 538 has Hillary at 65%,

• NYT Upshot has her at 86%
  • Princeton has her at >99% (!!)
  • Huffington Post has her at 99% (!!!)
  • Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball has her getting at least 293 electoral votes.

538 being so inconsistent with other reliable prediction models makes me really skeptical.

Honestly I'm probably more skeptical of the methodologies that says she has a 99% chance of winning than I am of 538's model. I don't know how you look at the recent Trump gains in some polls and say "this changes nothing" or throw those polls out entirely and call them outliers.

99% is a fuzzy warm blanket but I don't think it reflects reality.

sazzy

"Stoppo, Droppo, Oppo"

The mascot is obviously an over-caffienated hedgehog

K12RNm.jpg

MoxManiac

Honestly I'm probably more skeptical of the methodologies that says she has a 99% chance of winning than I am of 538's model. I don't know how you look at the recent Trump gains in some polls and say "this changes nothing" or throw those polls out entirely and call them outliers.

That site that aggregates all the models has it at around 86%, I think. IMO that is probably the most reliable number.

TheFatOne

Well the campaign knows better than us. I remember a few months ago some people in here literally wanted Kaine to literally stay in Florida doing speeches in Spanish the whole time.

Yea. This right here was the biggest tactical let down for me. I wanted Kaine to be giving speeches in Spanish since the beginning in NV, FL, and AZ. Was a big missed opportunity.

Because the Electoral College math isn't there. Trump isn't gaining in states that equal 270. Models that show a Trump win have to make huge assumptions that places like Colorado or Michigan are going to have 5+ point swings in 5 days.

Higgy

I agree. If you click on state polling on say 538 almost everything from Oct 30th is him gaining. He's closed the gap/taken slight leads in every battleground and closed in on light blue states. Hard to say these sites that are in the 80 and 90's and seem to never drop with his gains is a little weird.

Well the campaign knows better than us. I remember a few months ago some people in here literally wanted Kaine to literally stay in Florida doing speeches in Spanish the whole time.

My theory is that it's because the quality of his Spanish is inconsistent and he's out of practice, so they don't want to risk him screwing up in interviews. When he's good he sounds very strong to my ear, but I've seen other informal occasions where he sounded really rough, too. He seems capable of quality Spanish, but things like stress and sleep deprivation and lack of practice make that hard. As a gringo who speaks Spanish in professional settings. I sympathize. Language ability is more like a sine wave than a RPG level, IMO.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Go home Nate You're drunk.

I think MO being an outlier from the midwest as a recent development (and in this one) is something that is still screwing with the electoral map (guessing correlation coefficient between MO and IA/OH is still relatively high)

I am guessing after this election MO will get shunted to the IL section of the model.

Go read the NYT Upshot. Really smart, well reasoned and level headed analysis, great writing, beautiful graphs, etc. Not too esoteric like PEC can be for most people.

I think Upshot's model is the best right now - I get 538s decision to put everything in the model - but I think the increase in trash polling has hurt them more than Upshot. That said, I think not modeling OH / IA / WI / MI / MN at least partially together is flawed (which is what PEC does I think). Upshot seems to be the 538 model and being a little more selective about what polls to use (and having the ability to conduct their own polls as sanity checks).

I agree. If you click on state polling on say 538 almost everything from Oct 30th is him gaining. He's closed the gap/taken slight leads in every battleground and closed in on light blue states. Hard to say these sites that are in the 80 and 90's and seem to never drop with his gains is a little weird.

Because 538 will take any poll they can find and put it in the model. The others are slightly to moderately more selective. For instance, I don't think anyone else uses these ridiculous auto alliance polls of the swing states. Look at the last 3 days of polling and how much of it is from R pollsters or other questionable sources.

I did my part and voted in California.

Which I should ask

I voted for Kamala for US Senate. Kamalas cool right?

...if I tell you who I voted for does that mean my votes invalidated?

Snaku

Banned
I think as time goes on the generational divides should become shorter. I think Millennials fit nicely being born in ~1985 to ~1996. Gen X would probably be 1970 to ~1984.

Speaking for myself, I don't identify with Millennials in any way shape or form. I don't believe we share the same life experiences. I didn't grow up with easy access to computers, was lucky to play some Oregon Trail on my schools one Apple. I didn't grow up with the internet. I didn't grow up with social media. 9/11 defined my early adulthood. If I had to self identify with a generation, it'd have to be Gen X. Born 1984.

Speaking for myself, I don't identify with Millennials in any way shape or form. I don't believe we share the same life experiences. I didn't grow up with easy access to computers, was lucky to play some Oregon Trail on my schools one Apple. I didn't grow up with the internet. I didn't grow up with social media. 9/11 defined my early adulthood. If I had to self identify with a generation, it'd have to be Gen X. Born 1984.

1984 is just not Gen X. I would say 77 or so is the absolute latest for Gen X. There's a good argument for a 'tweener' generation between X and Millenials thats something like 75-85.

Grief.exe

Robby MookVerified account
‏@RobbyMook
Huge news! More early votes have now been cast in Florida than in all of 2012.

Does that mean more early votes have been cast than all votes in 2012? Or more early votes have been cast when compared to early votes in 2012.

Playing Oregon Trail in elementary school is a defining aspect of Millennial culture.

Baliis

I should trademark this.

Oppo the opossum obviously.

Born in '81 here and feel the same way.

Joeytj

Banned
THERE IS NO EARLY VOTING IN PA.

THEY ARE GOING TO PA BECAUSE THERE IS EARLY VOTING IN LESS SAFE STATES AND THIS IS THEIR ONE CHANCE TO RALLY THE TROOPS.

THIS IS WHY THEY ARE GOING TO MICHIGAN EVEN THOUGH OHIO, WISCONSIN, AND IOWA ARE MUCH MORE PRECARIOUS. THIS IS WHY THERE HAVE BEEN ALMOST NO TRIPS TO NEVADA.

THIS IS ALSO WHY SHE'LL PROBABLY GO TO NEW HAMPSHIRE THIS WEEKEND.

aljdksfjalsdufhga;sdklfja;sdfugyaehioaw;ovhoauhvao;wvcna;lkshv;a8ghefv'awrkvcaw
eferghsnfbx dvsfrytruy

If you are going to be scared our outraged or confused, take a moment to think.

Ugh, thank you for this. The Washington Post had an article too about how it's common to burn cash in leaning states to cancel out any attempt from the Republicans, especially with ads.

sphagnum

Banned
When your worldview causes you to label Antifa as "Liberals" everyone else is a Conservative, pragmatic or otherwise.

It's early on and there's plenty of time for world events to change them, but the most consistent statements I've seen regarding analyses of Gen Z is that they are "money minded", individually focused, more cautious about things in general (work, having lower alcohol abuse rates, etc.), have higher rates of church attendance, etc. Unlike the millennials who grew up in the boom times and then got walloped, Gen Z grew up in an environment where they already expected things to be tough and so they tend towards caution. The will have grown up under two Democratic presidents who represent incremental change.

Or do you not think that's likely because it's funnier to pretend I'm a tankie?

Hindl

I was born in 94, am I gen Z or a millennial? This has been a critical existential question for me.

Just on the millennial cutoff

2001 is the cutoff I believe.

I see most people end millenials at 95-96 actually. My general cutoff for millenials vs gen z is do you remember before the internet was huge (i.e. before Web 2.0) and do you remember before cell phones exploded in popularity in the late 90s

Snaku

Banned
Playing Oregon Trail in elementary school is a defining aspect of Millennial culture.

Really? My brother was born in 1990, and he has no concept of what Oregon Trail was. He didn't even know what Apple was until the iPod's breakout success. Is it really a defining aspect of Millennial culture if half the generation never experienced it?

Amazing.

Those of you STILL convinced Rubio keeps his Senate seat, explain how this happens.

Just because there's high turnout doesn't necessarily mean one thing or another. I suppose you could make the case that higher turnout typically helps Dems but Rubio is going to do better with hispanics than Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom