• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

No...this wouldn't work. Why? Nate's model can never adjust for this perfectly because we don't know if the bad ones will become good in 4 years and visa-versa. It's impossible to know.

This doesn't speak to the model's design in any way.

My argument is there is no way to test Nate's model unless it is really fucking off. But in this case, that would be a Trump blowout.

You've yet to address my 10% question. How do you distinguish a Clinton blowout from the model saying a Clinton blowout is possible versus the model's inherent failure?

How do you test this? Saying "look at each state" doesn't solve this problem. It's like saying if my coin keeps getting heads to read the lettering on it.

Like, your argument defies the very nature of statistics. It's why Sam Wang throws shade and Nate (and Drew Linzer now too!)

The overall number is nothing but the result from each individual state. Your rebuttal doesn't make any sense. If you look at the results of each part contributing to the whole of course you can draw conclusions about what led to an inaccuracy in that result.

Each poll 538 looks at is weighted and adjusted. Each one is an opportunity to evaluate results. Which polls turned out to best represent the final result? How did the model treat them? I am baffled how so much data would be useless in your eyes. These are the decisions the model is making.

HylianTom

Banned
To be fair, they just announced today that Obama was heading to New Hampshire on Monday/Tuesday.
I'm wondering if the Senate race is a big motivation on this decision.

I can only imagine how damn motivated he is to get sweet, sweet revenge for the GOP's obstruction on his appointment..

pigeon

Banned
So it looks like there's some rumors that Ryan will step down after Tuesday.

http://www.thehill.com/homenews/house/304245-chatter-grows-that-ryan-could-step-down

Worth noting that the sources are saying "the path to 218 is hard for him" and Ryan's team is saying he won't quit.

In other words, these are hostile leaks. Ryan's not saying he'll quit, people are saying they'll make him quit.

That said, I still think they will actually make him quit, especially if the margin is razor-thin. It's going to be interesting!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm wondering if the Senate race is a big motivation on this decision.

I can only imagine how damn motivated he is to get sweet, sweet revenge for the GOP's obstruction on his appointment..

Could also be to help Hassan and Van Ostern.

True. I'm sure that's part of it. I still think it makes sense when you have internal polls showing the race is close.

Cerium

McMuffin is no Obama and until he gets elected Senator or Governor he's not someone who is worth considering on a national level.

Hell no one is Obama. We were spoiled. He had generational political talent and he was clean as a whistle. That's a unicorn in the world of politics. Bill was a generational talent but he liked to get his dick wet too much.

Literally the worst his opponents could dig up on Obama was that he knew an aging hippy (Bill Ayers) and his pastor was an angry black man.

and for the record, Mitt Romney won white voters over obama 59-39...and lost by about 75,000 votes.

Trump's share of the white vote in FL isn't any better- he's at about 58%.

This year white voters as a percentage of FL's population has declined, and you are spiking the latino vote by a conservative 100% margin over 2012 so far, with 365K more latinos showing up to polls vs. this point in 2012 and clinton is winning those voters 60-30.

If those new voters don't ticket split for Rubio (and again...why would they?) Rubio ends up getting steamrolled purely by the volume of new voters running to the polls and pulling the "D" lever.

Diablos

Hell no one is Obama. We were spoiled. He had generational political talent and he was clean as a whistle. That's a unicorn in the world of politics. Bill was a generational talent but he liked to get his dick wet too much.

Literally the worst his opponents could dig up on Obama was that he knew an aging hippy (Bill Ayers) and his pastor was an angry black man.
And Hillary sent EMAILS!

Effect

I would feel a lot better if the Pennsylvania numbers weren't as close as they were and if the Septa strike was appearing to make more progress.

God, seeing some of the names thrown around in that article to replace Ryan.

Imagine having to deal with Gowdy or Blackburn.

What protects Ryan is that the Chamber of Commerce crowd won't support a crazy who is liable to shut down the government, or default on US debts.

Their power is waning since a couple deep pocketed sugar daddies can fund a whole swath of crazy house members, but they still do have leverage with the CEO crowd who open funding doors to the less crazy Congress-critters.

You fuck with the money and you may have a dozen R+5 Reps vote to enable a "Moderate" Dem as Speaker with the understanding Nancy Smash! is pulling the strings and setting the priorities for legislation.

Just take a look at this right here.

OxxJ2Oq.png

So it looks like there's some rumors that Ryan will step down after Tuesday.

http://www.thehill.com/homenews/house/304245-chatter-grows-that-ryan-could-step-down

Ryan could be vindicated by a big Trump loss on Tuesday. The general sense I get from Trump supporters on twitter, little things Trump surrogates say on television, republican friends (who are #NeverTrump), etc is that they expect a very close election. As in something that comes down to one or two states, and if Trump loses all eyes will be on those who betrayed him (and voter fraud of course). It's a laughable idea but that's their reality right now. They really think this is going to come down to irregularities in Philadelphia or something.

Ironically this is somewhat similar to what many republicans thought about 2012. Rove's freakout was in part because he thought Romney could potentially win the popular vote but lose the EC, thus allowing republicans to further invalidate Obama. I haven't talked to many (honest) republicans who expected Romney to get trounced like that. I think a lot of Trump people will be even more shocked.

All that being said...I don't think Ryan will last long regardless. He's not built for the job and a few early losses to Hillary (Supreme Court, executive orders, debt ceiling, etc) will end whatever grace he has left with republicans.

What protects Ryan is that the Chamber of Commerce crowd won't support a crazy who is liable to shut down the government, or default on US debts.

Their power is waning since a couple deep pocketed sugar daddies can fund a whole swath of crazy house members, but they still do have leverage with the CEO crowd who open funding doors to the less crazy Congress-critters.

You fuck with the money and you may have a dozen R+5 Reps vote to enable a "Moderate" Dem as Speaker with the understanding Nancy Smash! is pulling the strings and setting the priorities for legislation.
Bingo-bango, they're not handing the keys for the asylum to the inmates.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
This looks and feels a lot like 2012. Republicans in the last few days said they had internal polling that they had a chance in PA and other swing states. Joe Scarbarough and MIchael steele felt the mood of the country, and they wanted change blah blah

I'm telling you right now this will be a bigger win than 2012.

Those are all traits of Generation Z, not Millennials. Maybe the tail end of Millennials, but the majority of them were well into high school and college before social media became a thing. Millennials came of age as these technologies first spread, Generation Z grew up with them.

You'll all love Generation Z because they're going to be a bunch of pragmatic conservatives.

You are literally describing the Millennial norm. You are one. The issue is that they're not cutting the timeline off early enough and keep including current teens, who are really a completely different generation.

I think as time goes on the generational divides should become shorter. I think Millennials fit nicely being born in ~1985 to ~1996. Gen X would probably be 1970 to ~1984.

This is what Ernst & Young has to say about Millennials vs. Gen Z.
1472179606483.jpg

The overall number is nothing but the result from each individual state. Your rebuttal doesn't make any sense. If you look at the results of each part contributing to the whole of course you can draw conclusions about what led to an inaccuracy in that result.

The. States. Are. Not. Independent. Data. Points.

There is variable bias! And it's not omitted!

When I say there's a 10% chance of a Hillary blowout, that means the collective probabilities of these individual states equates to a 10% overall chance.

How do you distinguish between a 10% or a bad model? If you look at the individual states, which have much higher probability of being a blowout than 10% and when one state is a blowout it raises the probabilities of the other states of being a blowout, then how do you make the assessment you are asking to make?

The parts are all interrelated.

Each poll 538 looks at is weighted and adjusted. Each one is an opportunity to evaluate results. Which polls turned out to best represent the final result? How did the model treat them? I am baffled how so much data would be useless in your eyes. These are the decisions the model is making.

You're evaluating PAST RESULTS with no predictive power for future elections. Sigh.

I'm not saying the data is useless. And I'm not saying Nate shouldn't adjust his weights to polls after this election. He should.

What you don't seem to get is this aspect of adjusting the model doesn't actually have anything to do with whether the model's core algorithms are correct or not.

Here's my point. Even if Nate weighs every pollster correct...his model can still be wrong. Because his other inputs that are unrelated to polls may be completely wrong and there's no fucking way of knowing.

How do we test if the UE rate has an effect? How about jobs data? What if THOSE data points are the problem with his model???

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This looks and feels a lot like 2012. Republicans in the last few days said they had internal polling that they had a chance in PA and other swing states. Joe Scarbarough and MIchael steele felt the mood of the country, and they wanted change blah blah

that's not even a question. When democrats are straight up outvoting republicans in TEXAS, you have "historic election" written all over it.

I didn't know one of the top links at google news could be a link to rushlimbaugh.com, how is that news?

What the fuck man. These headlines are a disaster. It would be nothing short of a miracle if Clinton survives four more days of this.

PillarEN

Watching Trumps live rally.

"Build the wall build the wall" chant in full motion.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but, c'mon. Even if Trump was the president there will be no wall. Just funny seeing so many people hyping themselves over that.

I didn't know one of the top links at google news could be a link to rushlimbaugh.com, how is that news?

What the fuck man. These headlines are a disaster. It would be nothing short of a miracle if Clinton survives four more days of this.

What? Do you think google news rankings in the last 4 days are influential to the outcome of the election?

teiresias

You and the four other users of Google News will just have to fight the urge to swing towards Trump.

Yeah Republicans were bragging about how they were going to win Minnesota, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

If all they can do is muster a "Well maybe we can get over 270?" they're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom