• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's hard to poll Hispanics and young people. Who both vote mostly Democrat.

Clinton isn't going to overperform by 3 or more, that's a yuuuge swing but I do think she could come in 1 or 2 above the current average because:

1. Its pretty clear that her numbers from last Friday - Sunday were somewhat depressed by the Comey statement and are coming back around.

2. Hispanics are being under-counted in polls.

We can look back to the primary, actually.

RCP Ohio Primary polling average Hillary +8, she won it by 13.8
RCP Florida Primary polling average: Hillary +28.9, she won it by 31.2

But, it's a safe(ish) assumption to make even if we ignore the primary season. Hillary's group of voters are harder to poll than Trump's. We're talking younger, more diverse, fewer primary English speakers, etc. Plus, you can't ignore the ground game factor. And we do, in fact, know that it is working pretty well.

In Florida, for instance, the Republicans that are turning out are their core base of voters. They're not getting their unlikely voters to the polls. We are. Part of this is demographics voting against Trump, and the other part is, you know, we have people with the best brains on the ground.

Thanks, all.

Those PPP polls are making me very happy today.

impirius

PPP numbers look good overall, but come on NC, get Burr out of here.

I'm getting nothing but "Deborah Ross wants sex offenders to move in with you" mailers lately

Blader

Economic news is good, right? Imagine if the battle to take Mosul pans out this weekend. These both could cut directly into Trump's message of doom and gloom.

Imagine the media covering either of those things.

Can't defend Trump on his position for climate change. I do think he is a racist, misogynist, xenophobe. I do like the fact that he would cut my taxes. I like the fact that he's an atheist. His plan for health care reform is a joke, as is his immigration plan. You ain't deporting 11 million people and building that wall is not happening. I think he is very politically incorrect and that rubs people the wrong way.

Trump is not an atheist, he's just a bad churchgoer and a hypocrite, like many American Christians.

Can't defend Clinton on abortion at 9 months and I'm very pro choice.

Then you're not very pro-choice. Defending abortion at 9 months doesn't mean letting women skittish about childbirth suddenly abort the day before they're due (that doesn't happen), it means ensuring that women don't have to give birth to children infected with Zika, or that women don't have to die because their pregnancy suddenly poses a threat to their life.

(Incidentally, Marco Rubio's stance on abortion is that when pregnancy poses threat to the life of the mother, the mother should die, and if it's discovered that the mother's pregnancy has been compromised by Zika, then she should just give birth to a child with Zika.)

The fact that I would be comfortable with Trump as president has everything to do with it being out of my control and "there is nothing I can do about it". It has nothing to do with me condoning him. The reason I never voted is because I always felt my vote doesn't really count and the electoral system is just garbage. I have felt this way since Bush won despite losing.

Didn't you say you lived in Florida? You're among the relative handful of Americans whose vote absolutely matters, absolutely counts, and absolutely has something to do with who is president. It's not out of your control, there isn't nothing you can do. You've got one of the strongest voices in the entire national electorate, even among swing states.

Cyanity

Banned
Man, I hope we get to 51 or 52 in the senate. Get us some of them sweet sweet supreme court justices. Droppo
the oppo
gangnam style baby

I don't think there's a secret group of Clinton voters fbf will cause her to overperform.

She and Obama had digital and a ground game. Thus, they overperformed.

The latter is the reason for the former, so to speak. Her ground game is turning out voters who would've been dropped in some LV screens, which is great if she keeps banking those votes. On Election Day, you get your hardcore voters who like the feeling of going into the booth and whatnot, and so that should be the easier part.

There's a not-insignificant number of Trump supporters who are going to sit home that should've been pushed to the polls if Trump had a ground game.

What's going on with the betting markets? Big move towards Clinton overnight.

Those markets are pointless to look at anyway. Too few people on them means that wild swings can happen as people game the system. It's getting closer to the day where Hillary wins, and so people are trying to force a surge in her prices so they can cash out high.

At least for my county, it's close to 1 million.

Posts like these blow my mind. My county in rural Mississippi has a total population of 52K. Your county has a third of the population of my state!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Where is the Mcmullin poll? I wanna see that.

My mistake--somebody bumped a weeks-old thread in OT about a poll that had him leading. It's not current, sadly.

Vyse24

Sorry if this doesn't belong, but I thought it needed to be shared here: The NRA is making targets in the form of board games such as Checkers and Candy Land

Small snippet:
“Put a Twist on Your Favorite Board Games at the Range,” reads the headline on the NRA’s blog. What follows are images of old games — checkers, “Battleship” and “Candy Land” — altered to include bull’s-eyes.

“Target Land” even puts the bull’s eye directly on a candy heart — the kind that say “Be mine” on them. There’s even one on the last space, next to the sign that says “Home Sweet Home.”

“Board games are a great way to bond with friends and family,” the NRA Blog story says. “But have these timeless games you’ve grown up with, played time and time again, become a little, well, boring? Put a twist on your favorite games and head to the range!”

So now instead of sitting on the rec room floor with little pieces of plastic and a modicum of strategy, kids can print out the NRA versions, go to the range, load up the old AR-15 and blast away.
What the fuck is wrong with these people?

This is both sad and expected. I don't think I could ever handle being famous. I'd go nuts. But it does support my belief that the entire Trump clan is bigly fucked-up.

IMG_20161104_113645.jpg

NEWARK — A federal jury convicted two former aides to Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey on Friday over a bizarre scheme to close access lanes to the George Washington Bridge as punishment against a mayor who declined to endorse the governor’s re-election.

The two defendants, Bridget Anne Kelly and Bill Baroni, were each charged with seven counts of conspiracy and wire fraud, including misusing the resources of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the bridge, and violating the rights of the citizens of Fort Lee, N.J., to travel without government restriction when the closings gridlocked their town over five days in September 2013.

The crimes carry a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison, but the United States attorney for New Jersey, Paul J. Fishman, said before the trial that there was “no way” his office would recommend that Ms. Kelly and Mr. Baroni serve that long. Federal sentencing guidelines suggest a sentence of from one year to three years.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/05/nyregion/bridgegate-conviction.html?referer=

Hopefully everyone involved goes to prison bc jesus christ this was ridiculous.

Hour and a half waits in Gwinnett County GA.

They went 54-46.6 for Romney in 2012, but have been trending younger and more educated for a while. They're ~25% Black, 20% Hispanic and median age is about 34. Good signs!

Demo of NE Cobb is about what you would expect, although a bit more minority rep than I would have guessed.

117,655 votes have been cast already in Cobb. This time last year it was only about 67,000 early votes in Cobb.
Right now, all 11 early voting sites have a wait time of 1+ hours. 5 of those are 2-3 hours and north Kennesaw is 3+ hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom