• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
those ivy league schools have so much endowment money that I don't think getting more bux is a real thing. Student housing is like superman-grade rounding error income compared to their investment returns.

They do it for campus culture reasons, and that's a good thing.

edit: mad props to the urban altanta county voters. You had the same garbage that NC voters are just now experiencing for the last two cycles, and you guys clearly don't let it faze you at all.

yes, along with the requisite "meal plan". i felt so bad for my fellow classmates...i mean, not really. but still.

my only solace about OSU undergrad, aside from that awesome internship in ottawa, is that i started before they implemented this "first 2 years have to live in dorms" bullshit cash grab

encourages people to spend more money, is more like it

I know you were really stressed out the other night and I just wanted to say I'm glad you stuck around. I've been there too.

Pertaining to conversation at hand, I always thought forcing dorms on first years was a way of restricting student behavior and keeping them accountable. It basically guarantees a degree of supervision for hundreds of impulsive nineteen year olds.

That and, of course, they can double your tuition for it.

Cyanity

Banned
117,655 votes have been cast already in Cobb. This time last year it was only about 67,000 early votes in Cobb.
Right now, all 11 early voting sites have a wait time of 1+ hours. 5 of those are 2-3 hours and north Kennesaw is 3+ hours.

The New York Times voting game hit the nail on the head. Those wait times should be considered voter suppression.

Please please please stop with the oppo stuff.

Noppo

Well, yeah. Ivy's don't usually have a problem getting parents to pony up a few extra thousand a semester for housing. Anyone who's in scholarship for need prolly has it covered in their package.

FSU requires it for all non-married, non-local students too. It's one of the reasons why even though they're a Research-1 institution, they're still a major party school.

Go Noles!

IMG_7tncvu.jpg

Blader

If that news about Ryan stepping down next week is true, that'd all but confirm he's planning to run for president in 2020. That keeps him clear of any "Paul Ryan compromised with Hillary Clinton and the Democrats for years" attack ads during a primary, and keeps him out of the Breitbart caucus' line of fire.

I know you were really stressed out the other night and I just wanted to say I'm glad you stuck around. I've been there too.

yeah, that night was a combo of stress and what wound up being a depressive episode lasting basically the entire week. not sure it's gonna happen again for a while just because i'm already managing my stressors better, but we'll see

(and on a side note, how the hell has this title survived 14K posts?)

Well, yeah. Ivy's don't usually have a problem getting patents to pony up a few extra thousand a semester for housing. Anyone who's in scholarship for need prolly has it covered in their package.

yeah i'm referring more to non-ivys, because in those cases it's universally cash grab town

If that news about Ryan stepping down next week is true, that'd all but confirm he's planning to run for president in 2020. That keeps him clear of any "Paul Ryan compromised with Hillary Clinton and the Democrats for years" attack ads during a primary, and keeps him out of the Breitbart caucus' line of fire.

Stepping down doesn't help him, it'd just make him a failure in the eyes of the Republican base.

Cyanity

Banned

There is a 0% chance that Paul Ryan would escape from a 2020 GOP primary. He's done.

dramatis

This is both sad and expected. I don't think I could ever handle being famous. I'd go nuts. But it does support my belief that the entire Trump clan is bigly fucked-up.
It's not surprising if you read up on Trump's relationship with his father, Fred Trump.

What you can probably say is Fred Trump really messed up the whole country.

Blader

There is a 0% chance that Paul Ryan would escape from a 2020 GOP primary. He's done.

Oh I'm not saying he'll be the nominee, just that he'll run. Maybe that was clear to a lot of other people, but I never really read Ryan as the kind of guy interested in that gig. Then again, I didn't figure he'd be speaker either, so what do I know.

So, my mom is phone banking and she's gotten really good at staying on script. But then she heard about the Bridgegate, and she's decided to weave that into her pitch on the phone.

"So, if you want someone like Christie killing the babies on the bidge, vote for Trump then. If you want someone who won't kill the babies, can we count on you to vote early?"

Barzul

#Iowa
@EmersonPolling:

Trump 44% (+3)
Clinton 41%
Johnson 5%
Stein 4%

Hmmm reading that article about secret female Clinton voters in Iowa, I'm starting to believe that it just might be in play. It's been taken for granted that Trump has it in his column.

So, my mom is phone banking and she's gotten really good at staying on script. But then she heard about the Bridgegate, and she's decided to weave that into her pitch on the phone.

"So, if you want someone like Christie killing the babies on the bidge, vote for Trump then. If you want someone who won't kill the babies, can we count on you to vote early?"

uhhhhh

Blader

Yeah, that could be it for Bayh. He was the Dem least deserving of a win imo, though, so unless we end up losing the majority by a single seat, I won't be broken up about it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Uhhhhh...

The New York Times voting game hit the nail on the head. Those wait times should be considered voter suppression.

Noppo

True, but I don't think Cobb was expecting this type of turn out. Also I don't think Georgia or any counties attempted to cut hours or polling sites. I know Gwinnett had to add more sites because of the turn out.

I wouldn't mind moving to the system that Washington or Colorado uses.

It's not surprising if you read up on Trump's relationship with his father, Fred Trump.

What you can probably say is Fred Trump really messed up the whole country.

The Trump clan has been fucking up this country for nearly a century. This year is simply the explosive crescendo of a long simmering pot of fuckery.

Yeah, that could be it for Bayh. He was the Dem least deserving of a win imo, though, so unless we end up losing the majority by a single seat, I won't be broken up about it.

It could come to that.

Hope it doesn't.

Although he has a 6% lead in early voting

Adam pls talk to your mom.

Maxim726X

Beautiful PPP numbers for the Butcher.

And Sam Wang will eat a bug if Trump breaks 240 EVs.

Looks like we can all take off the diapers now. (?)

In a roundabout way, yes. It's less about what you pay for the dorms, and more about stopping dropouts and keeping retention rates high. Everyone at my university knows that the kids who drive home every weekend to go hang with their high school friends and just commute to go to class never stick around. It quickly goes from "I'll just drive home on the weekends and go back for class" to "I'll just drive in for the exams and stay at home" and then finally "I'll go back and finish my degree later."

The home bodies don't dive in, and they get too used to being in high school. You gotta immerse yourself in your new-found responsibilities or you'll just back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom