• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1608

Banned
So what we're looking at here is the polls trying to get back to 2012 numbers, which means we're in for about a 3-4 point Clinton win and over 300 EVs
This is what I'm thinking too and why I'm not concerned. Would I love a blowout ala 2008? Absolutely! But a win is a win and as long as Hillary becomes POTUS, that's enough for me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So...I have no idea what national numbers are like now. Lol.

Mademan or whatever, how in the world are you so confident?

Zukkoyaki

Likely final polls:

C+3 CBS/NYT
C+2 Fox
C+1 Marist
C+4 ABC (Tracker)

Only CNN/ORC, NBC/WSJ, Monmouth and Qpac left as far as significant pollsters

Ac30

The models you've been looking at are bad.

She has already won Nevada meaning she has 270 without NH

Donald Trump is "potentially" about to be elected in the same way that Jill Stein and "Deez Nuts" are potentially about to be elected.

The models you've been looking at are LOLworthy. She's already at 270 in states where she's comfortably ahead by 6+ points in "likely" voters...while first time and unlikely voters are breaking records in the early vote.

I gotta get off 538. It's gonna give me anxiety attacks at this rate. Thanks all.

Beefy

Gay Trump supporter is insane

CwXLc5OXcAAlNfW.jpg

Kusagari

I just don't get Nate's model. Hillary up by a huge amount in VA lowers her chances, close polls with leads in states like NH lower her chances.

But Trump almost universally gets boosts from performing like shit in states that should be locks like AZ, GA and UT.

somedevil

Marist:

Hillary+1, ugh.

SEXUAL ASSAULT IS ILLEGAL YOU DUMBFUCK VOTERS.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article112635048.html

Its 2 for 2 way and 3 points for RV in 2 way.

Also, I was looking at the tabs for likely they have blacks and latino at 9% percent of the electorate. Also, in RV the latino split is 56 for clinton and 33 for trump which doesn't make sense. Do they weight for that?

Also, in the story someone said this to a reporter:

“I’m sure she’s had people killed, there’s no doubt in my mind,” said John Hoke, 61, a programmer from Mount Holly, N.C. who is voting for Trump. He described Clinton an “evil person” who has “been that way ever since she was born.”

Get this man some help.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just don't get Nate's model. Hillary up by a huge amount in VA lowers her chances, close polls with leads in states like NH lower her chances.

But Trump almost universally gets boosts from performing like shit in states that should be locks like AZ, GA and UT.
Again it's uncertainty. But what I don't understand is why there's no time value of close polls late. Being +2 in August sucks, being +2 with two days to go should be good.

I can believe Donald Trump is potentially about to be elected president. What in the ever-loving fuck are people thinking?

You're living through a unique moment in the world's history. Never has a Democratic world superpower gone through a peaceful demographic change of the magnitude we're experiencing.

Between the shock of 9/11 and the wars that followed, a major worldwide economic collapse, continued Globalization of resources and the ascendancy, and butressing, of the Obama coalition, White folks have lost their damn minds and turned to an authoritarian strongman for some sense of stability and normalcy. Ironically that "stability" must be preceeded by massive change that is no longer electorally feasible.

This is history that will be looked upon in later decades as a watershed moment. You get to experience it first hand, while sharing it, in real-time with much of the rest of the world.

This is the moment a major American party starts a decline towards coming apart. The results will be halting and somewhat frightening, but the outcome will be no less monumental. Take it all in, because you'll tell this story to future generations in our Climate Bunkers.

Its 2 for 2 way and 3 points for RV in 2 way.

Also, I was looking at the tabs for likely they have blacks and latino at 9% percent of the electorate. Also, in RV the latino split is 56 for clinton and 33 for trump which doesn't make sense. Do they weight for that?

Also, in the story someone said this to a reporter:

Get this man some help.

I find ridiculous assumptions about minority turnout is REALLY common with a lot of the garbage polls. First thing I look for.

If two weeks ago Clinton was ahead in Virginia by 10 and behind in Alabama by 15 and the same poll comes out today showing her ahead in VA by 7 and down in AL by 20 the model thinks 'Trump has momentum!' and moves towards him even though nothing about the two states has really changed. I don't know why the recent GA polls haven't had the opposite effect. Its like Silver crammed so much stuff into the model that it produces contradictory outcomes.

Well, if Silver's model will be 50/50 on Monday, he will be alone because the betting markets are bullish on Clinton today for some reason. Big payoff or big failure, we'll see.

GhaleonEB

Well, if Silver's model will be 50/50 on Monday, he will be alone because the betting markets are bullish on Clinton today for some reason. Big payoff or big failure, we'll see.
Will he will put out a solid projection for how the states and election play out in the end? Otherwise he can show Clinton at 1% and claim the outcome was just unlikely, but possible in the model.

The prediction markets are looking at the early voting totals, which 538 reasonably excluded. I have no idea how to weight that versus polling data either but its pretty clear that Clinton is winning the ground war in Nevada and Florida.

Retro

Gay Trump supporter is insane

CwXLc5OXcAAlNfW.jpg

.. he does know what the "T" in LGBT means, and why you can't take a shit in peace in certain states because of it, right?

I mean, this is one of the weirdest examples of "Fuck you, I got mine" I've seen.

Mugsy

Do the polls stop coming in at some point? The pollsters would stop running new polls obviously but they have to take time to process them anyways. When do we expect the polls to start drying up?

U.S. military hackers have penetrated Russia's electric grid, telecommunications networks and the Kremlin's command systems, making them vulnerable to attack by secret American cyber weapons should the U.S. deem it necessary, according to a senior intelligence official and top-secret documents reviewed by NBC News.

I'm all for pushing back against Putin but maybe that's too much?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-hackers-ready-hit-back-if-russia-disrupts-election-n677936

The prediction markets are looking at the early voting totals, which 538 reasonably excluded. I have no idea how to weight that versus polling data either but its pretty clear that Clinton is winning the ground war in Nevada and Florida.

it's not just nevada and florida. Seems to be everywhere.

That Texas article from the other day was just jaw dropping.

.. he does know what the "T" in LGBT means, and why you can't take a shit in peace in certain states because of it, right?

I mean, this is one of the weirdest examples of "Fuck you, I got mine" I've seen.

he also doesn't seem to be aware that even though marriage equality is a thing, it is still legal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in most states- i.e. your boss can outright fire you for being gay with no repercussions.

https://mic.com/articles/121496/one...ill-be-fired-for-being-gay-in-2015#.OQNJhjLF4

Do the polls stop coming in at some point? The pollsters would stop running new polls obviously but they have to take time to process them anyways. When do we expect the polls to start drying up?

Monday will be end. Some of the trackers will update one last time Tuesday morning, maybe.

Sam Wang ‏@SamWangPhD Oct 18
Sam Wang Retweeted Nicolas Veron
It is totally over. If Trump wins more than 240 electoral votes, I will eat a bug.

HAHA.

Anyway, Drew Linzer and Sam Wang are on the "it's over, move on" train and have been for a while.

Poor Nate Silver. He's going to be forgotten so quick after this.

Nafai1123

Banned

Fuck you, got mine until the guy I'm voting wins.

HAHA.

Anyway, Drew Linzer and Sam Wang are on the "it's over, move on" train and have been for a while.

Chances of ESPN dropping his site like a hot rock are pretty damned high, so you may be correct.

Wherever he ends up after this, let's hope it's somewhere with a little less pressure and more humility.

ezrarh

HAHA.

He should be. And I wish more pundits would be ostracized or outcast or whatever word you want to use after the elections. Somehow people who are consistently wrong still get to stay on tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom