• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucks that Trump will likely do better than John McCain, and that's accounting for McCain being a shitty candidate who had an ineffective response to an economic crisis that his party presided over.

Trump should be earning sub-100 EVs in a fair and just world.
Even if Stalin or Hitler ran, I don't think they'd get sub 100 EVS. The political climate is too polarized. As long as they don't want abortion, will repeal ObamaCare, and will nominate conservative justices, they will get most the regular red states any of their crazier policies, or huge problems with their character, doesn't matter.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Even if Stalin or Hitler ran, I don't think they'd get sub 100 EVS. The political climate is too polarized. As long as they don't want abortion, will repeal ObamaCare, and will nominate conservative justices, they will get most the regular red states.

Yeah, it's why I was surprised to see the South Korean president with 5% approval.
Trump could be convicted of murder while running a cult and still get AT LEAST a 20% approval rating.

Diablos

My final predictions:

1. Final map if the polls were inaccurate and what we're seeing on the ground and in data thus far continues to look good heading into Election Day:

0n18R.png

edit: I do see AK as a possible upset but did not think it was worth making a new map for. Ditto for AZ.

2. Final map if the polls are more accurate:

xPN8Z.png

Leaning more towards #1 right now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
oooo amma phone bank

What's to stop people from being like "i'm from the HRC campaign and F&&& YOU *WERWER"

Retro

A friend and I are hashing out where we think the maps are gonna end up.

We both agree that Hispanic polling is a crapshoot (notoriously hard to reach + potential language barriers + strange white guy with all your information asking you personal questions) which puts states like Nevada (as we've seen already), Florida (ditto), Arizona and yes, potentially Texas, into play. Factor in suburban and even rural Republicans who may be on the NeverTrump Express and there really are no "safe" bets for Trump. Even Alaska is in play.

I think this is her floor;

Arizona's Hispanics are gonna come out swinging, if the snowbirds are apathetic, it's hers.
Georgia had a strong push in 2008 and 2012 to flip the state. I think it's contested.
Iowa is still up in the air, but likely R.
Ohio is still up in the air.
Utah goes McMuffin or Trump (in that order).

What I want to happen: Hail to the Queen(s)

I don't think we're on the same page. He starts at Clinton + 7, right. That Clinton + 7 is built on a turnout assumption of X for whites, Y for blacks, Z for hispanics, Q for young people, etc. The turnout is coming in as he expected based on the poll (actually a little better for Clinton). So ASSUMING the sample was correct and the state IS C+7, the turnout confirms that. However, if the sample was wrong and it is really C+2 or C-55, then the turnout imputed in the model is irrelevant.

He's not saying it's proving C+6/7 and that's all over his twitter...

Okay I see what you're saying. It was hasty of me to say that Clinton is +6 per this model. Still Cohn does say that changes in the model's trendline are indicative of movement in the race and there hasn't been any. So I guess we can say that so far North Carolinians are turning out in a way that is demographically consistent with one poll that has Clinton up by 6 points.

Me and the wife phonebanking for Hillary in Pennsylvania today along with 20 others, getting lots of positive responses. We are targeting minority voters but I'm optimistic about our chances!

Can't rest during this election- if that monster is elected and we (as minorities) sit idly by, that won't be excused.

Yeah, it's why I was surprised to see the South Korean president with 5% approval.
Trump could be convicted of murder while running a cult and still get AT LEAST a 20% approval rating.

south korea is pretty much only full of koreans though.

The republican party will always have at least 30% of the vote because of racists who hate blacks and mexicans and don't care about anything else.

You mean 0 EVs.

Well, yeah, but in a fair and just world, Trump wouldn't have made it out of the GOP primaries in the first place. Unfortunately...

Even if Stalin or Hitler ran, I don't think they'd get sub 100 EVS. The political climate is too polarized. As long as they don't want abortion, will repeal ObamaCare, and will nominate conservative justices, they will get most the regular red states any of their crazier policies, or huge problems with their character, doesn't matter.

What has been most striking to me about this election is that there are a large amount of people who would let Russia dominate us on the world state and who would be fine with losing everything they have in an economic crisis just to make sure that women, black and brown folks, and LGBTQ folks were miserable, too.

What a bleak, nihilistic, and pathetic worldview that is! And that's a good forty percent of the country that is good for at least 150 EVs every four years! Fuuuuuck, man.

Polls accurate according to whom? RCP + Diablos freakout factor?

Hey, I think you should give Diablos credit that s/he was able to put together a Debbie Downer map that still had Clinton hitting 270+ EVs.

If that was cartoon_soldier's map, Trump would somehow have 350 EVs.

Cyanity

Banned
My final predictions:

1. Final map if the polls were inaccurate and what we're seeing on the ground and in data thus far continues to look good heading into Election Day:

0n18R.png

xPN8Z.png

I'm proud of you

Diablos

I'm being generous to Trump in my second map, accounting for, you know, systemic polling error as an ode to Nate Silver as he likely becomes irrelevant after this election unless Trump wins bigly. Basically it's a map for those who think Trump's win is being hidden by the MoE. It's possible, but I don't think likely at this point

Also I'm a he. Thanks

I'm being generous to Trump in my second map, accounting for, you know, systemic polling error as an ode to Nate Silver as he likely becomes irrelevant after this election unless Trump wins bigly. Basically it's a map for those who think Trump's win is being hidden by the MoE. It's possible, but I don't think likely at this point

Also I'm a he. Thanks

Trump winning would require something like a massive "hidden white vote" or "silent majority" no one saw coming.

Given that there was no massive increase in white registration, or increase in new white voters during the primary, its a pretty safe bet this doesn't exist.

If there's a MoE error, it's not in his favor.

Texas I think is possible, depending on how much Dems have eaten into their election day vote.

But the margins I see happening are between Trump +3 and Hill +.5

I think the Trump margin is the stronger position to be.

Diablos

Trump winning would require something like a massive "hidden white vote" or "silent majority" no one saw coming.

Given that there was no massive increase in white registration, or increase in new white voters during the primary, its a pretty safe bet this doesn't exist.

If there's a MoE error, it's not in his favor.
I know but the entire narrative out of the prime time talking head arena last night is that these polls are way too close and Trump never should be able to close the gap like this and blah blah and it's like 1980 when Reagan surged ahead. This is me tipping my hat to them, as I do think it's possible but not probable. And honestly if you take a lot of the "crappy" polls we've seen lately you can come to the conclusion that the map would look that way. So yeah.

And I've gotta say to much of the mainstream media and clickbait like 538, the final results are being made to look closer than they should be. That map is for them. "The polls are right".

geomon

Poll: Clinton holds a 6-point lead in Pa.; Senate race remains tight

A new Morning Call/Muhlenberg College poll shows Democrat Hillary Clinton with a 6-point lead among likely Pennsylvania voters, who also expressed some concerns about potential violence as the tense and tumultuous election draws to a close.

The results are similar to a poll conducted two weeks earlier , indicating little to no shift in public opinion after the recent FBI announcement that it was reviewing a new set of emails linked to Clinton, said Chris Borick, director of the Muhlenberg College Institute of Public Opinion.

The statewide survey — conducted between Oct. 30 and Nov. 4 with 405 likely Pennsylvania voters and with a margin of error of 5.5 percentage points — shows Clinton with support from 48 percent and Trump with the backing of 42 percent in a head-to-head matchup.

When third-party candidates are included, Clinton's lead narrows to 4 points. She drew 44 percent, with Trump at 40 percent, Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson at 7 percent and Green Party candidate Jill Stein at 2 percent.

Y'all want some anecdotal hopium? I live in a red part of Ohio. A friend of mine just texted me and said they had 27 people show up for Hillary. They're right by the GOP office (Trump doesn't have an office near me which is stupid!) Anyway, the GOP had 2 volunteers show up. They just sent them home. In 2012, we were outnumbered by a bit with the Rmoney office.

Edit: 27 may not sound like a lot, but it actually is for us. I didn't have time to go, but phone banking helps. Too hard to figure out what to do with the boys.

I know but the entire narrative out of the prime time talking head arena last night is that these polls are way too close and Trump never should be able to close the gap like this and blah blah and it's like 1980 when Reagan surged ahead. This is me tipping my hat to them, as I do think it's possible but not probable. And honestly if you take a lot of the "crappy" polls we've seen lately you can come to the conclusion that the map would look that way. So yeah.

And I've gotta say to much of the mainstream media and clickbait like 538, the final results are being made to look closer than they should be. That map is for them. "The polls are right".

why even waste your time watching that shit.

life is too short.

Emarv

Y'all want some anecdotal hopium? I live in a red part of Ohio. A friend of mine just texted me and said they had 27 people show up for Hillary. They're right by the GOP office (Trump doesn't have an office near me which is stupid!) Anyway, the GOP had 2 volunteers show up. They just sent them home. In 2012, we were outnumbered by a bit with the Rmoney office.

Edit: 27 may not sound like a lot, but it actually is for us. I didn't have time to go, but phone banking helps. Too hard to figure out what to do with the boys.

Yeah, but how many Trump signs and Trump masks have you seen? Checkmate, liberals.

thcsquad

National Enquirer bought the rights to Trump's mistress story in August and never had any intentions of putting it out.

Honestly, it's kind of yawn-worthy. It does kind of illustrate what most people that already know; when Trump talks about Hillary being corrupt and her pals in power protecting her, he's mostly just projecting. But given what we all know about him, it's pretty tame.

The Melania story has more of a chance of turning some heads and maybe making a few GOPers stay home.

My final predictions:

0n18R.png

edit: I do see AK as a possible upset but did not think it was worth making a new map for. Ditto for AZ.

xPN8Z.png

Gee you don't think she's gonna lose this thing?

Diablos

I hope it's not real. Just because that woman is waay to hot for Trump.
Based on what I've seen, Trump's strategy for signs is "bigger is better". Like, homes will have these HUGE ASS SIGNS that are made for offices or polling stations on someone's front lawn just leaning against the guard rail going up to their steps. It's fucking ridiculous but it speaks volumes to Trump's bully mentality if you think about it. Just spam your supporters with the biggest signs possible if they're willing to take them home to flex your imaginary muscles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom