• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is this just Comey being a dick?

Not necessarily. If you are Comey and this Weiner stuff comes across your desk, you are put in a little bit of a bind. This is the type of thing that would leak fast, so he needs to get in front of it to save his own ass. He has had to deal with a candidate for president stumping that he is crooked for months. If it looks like he is hiding any info about Clinton he is going to be roasted by Congress.

So he sent a letter to those very Congressmen saying that he is on it. The Congressmen then immediately framed that statement for maximum political effect.

pJdkNZv.jpg

Omg

Boke1879

I know it is nothing, you know it.

But the media consuming public does not grasp nuance. Look at how easy it is to simply list a mountain of negative word association. Anthony Weiner, pervert. New emails, more deception. Must be something significant, why would Coomey bitch do this now? Huma. Hillary. Emails. Pervert weiner.

It is eaay for nutters to connect the dots into an even more salacious story, regardless of the truth you and i know.

I am not afraid of losing. Im afraid of thus stopping our margin increasement.

But why would we worry about Weiner now. He's always been tied to Hillary and Huma since before this. I mean sure. We could have done without this whole thing.

But this thing at this point is nothing, and if the media can only talk about "optics" it means they don't have much to keep a story going.

Farmboy

Got a news alert from HuffPo with that video an hour and a half ago, pretty much at peak bedwet.

I mean, he's being a terrible chauvinist. Again. But I doubt the media will find it salient enough. It's certainly less shocking than the Access Hollywood tape.

The woman is 69 years old, likes to have stuff printed out like any old person,and prefers a blackberry to any new-fangled phone.

Why do people think it's so fucking malicious? She clearly hasn't attempted to hide diabolical schemes, and her campaign is pretty damn clean considering the campaign manager's private e-mails are entirely in public view.

Why doesn't Trump release his campaign manager's (all of them) e-mails? Y'know, for the sake of transparency? Or he could at least release his tax returns, which is just standard procedure.

Does anyone actually give a shit about these emails anymore? I feel like most people have tuned out by now...

Trump supporters and Bernie of Busters love this shit, but unless there's some incredible revelation at some point, I don't think the needle moves much at all, not this late in the game.

But why would we worry about Weiner now. He's always been tied to Hillary and Huma since before this. I mean sure. We could have done without this whole thing.

But this thing at this point is nothing, and if the media can only talk about "optics" it means they don't have much to keep a story going.

The sexting story was not tied to Clinton at all before, and also (weirdly) had not gotten a lot of national play.

This is much better than there being recovered private server emails being investigated, of course, but it's not good to have a story about a dude sexting a 15-year-old bouncing around in people's heads a week before the election, now coming up in conjunction with Clinton's emails. This whole thing is just... not great.

thebloo

The woman is 69 years old, likes to have stuff printed out like any old person,and prefers a blackberry to any new-fangled phone.

Why do people think it's so fucking malicious? She clearly hasn't attempted to hide diabolical schemes, and her campaign is pretty damn clean considering the campaign manager's private e-mails are entirely in public view.

Why doesn't Trump release his campaign manager's (all of them) e-mails? Y'know, for the sake of transparency? Or he could at least release his tax returns, which is just standard procedure.

It's mostly people that think they're technical because they can handle the new iPhone and have setup their own gmail account. They have never worked with protocols, they have no idea how the internals of an old organisation (like the State Department) works.

Debirudog

But this issue has nothing to do with Hillary's private emails. It's all on Weiner...

Who for some reason, is only tied because he happened to be the husband of Huma.

Boke1879

The sexting story was not tied to Clinton at all before, and also (weirdly) had not gotten a lot of national play.

This is much better than there being recovered private server emails being investigated, of course, but it's not good to have a story about a dude sexting a 15-year-old bouncing around in people's heads a week before the election, now coming up in conjunction with Clinton's emails. This whole thing is just... not great.

Honestly. IMO it's nothing. It's not like Hillary is out there publicly having drinks with the dude.

And with how much people in this thread handwave all the bullshit Trump has said and done. Especially when a Daily Beast article claiming Trump threw cocaine parties with underage girls and people here say "No tape or audio. Then it's nothing".

Now I understand Hillary is graded a bit differently. More harshly if you will. But even I don't think you can take this story too far if you're only argument is optics. IF that's the case anyone who talked to good ol Carlos Danger at any point is in for a bad time.

I suspect this won't be anything.

Not necessarily. If you are Comey and this Weiner stuff comes across your desk, you are put in a little bit of a bind. This is the type of thing that would leak fast, so he needs to get in front of it to save his own ass. He has had to deal with a candidate for president stumping that he is crooked for months. If it looks like he is hiding any info about Clinton he is going to be roasted by Congress.

So he sent a letter to those very Congressmen saying that he is on it. The Congressmen then immediately framed that statement for maximum political effect.

He worded it in the vaguest way possible.

Loudninja

Honestly. IMO it's nothing. It's not like Hillary is out there publicly having drinks with the dude.

And with how much people in this thread handwave all the bullshit Trump has said and done. Especially when a Daily Beast article claiming Trump threw cocaine parties with underage girls and people here say "No tape or audio. Then it's nothing".

Now I understand Hillary is graded a bit differently. More harshly if you will. But even I don't think you can take this story too far if you're only argument is optics. IF that's the case anyone who talked to good ol Carlos Danger at any point is in for a bad time.

I suspect this won't be anything.
What is up with this lately?

teiresias

Good to see CNN going in deep on how shitheel Comey has continuously inserted himself into issues in a political manner.

FOX still in hard on original breaking headlines though.

Boke1879

Even Bill Mitchell is skeptical!

When you have Morning Joe and Andrea "EMAILZZZZ" Mitchell calling this shit out yo know you fucked up. Comey in an attempt to probably be vague and not partisan. Actually looked fucking partisan.

They are absolutely right they you should come with more info about something like this close to Election Day. I mean if the full story didn't get out it could potentially sway the election.

daedalius

Is FBI director an Presidental appointed position?

Comey has to know he's getting his shit kicked to the curb after Hillary ascends from the flames of hell into the white house.

Don't forget that it doesn't matter if it's actually bad or not. What matters right now is that it looks terrible and that the headlines sound terrible without additional explanation.
What is up with this lately?
It's only being "handwaived" in the context of "wow, that's so awful, but it doesn't shock me whatsoever." I commented on the coke parties a few days ago like this. Not that it's something to blow off, but in Trump context it's easily shrugged off unless there's solid proof, since no one here would put anything past him at this point. It's still absolutely terrible, of course.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
When you have Morning Joe and Andrea "EMAILZZZZ" Mitchell calling this shit out yo know you fucked up. Comey in an attempt to probably be vague and not partisan. Actually looked fucking partisan.

They are absolutely right they you should come with more info about something like this close to Election Day. I mean if the full story didn't get out it could potentially sway the election.

Seriously, I saw the tweets I was more surprised by that than anything else today.
We may rag on them quite a bit, but it appears they are not totally lost yet.

Like. Fucking. Clockwork.

epcHsJI.jpg

He did what?

faisal233

Is FBI director an Presidental appointed position?

Comey has to know he's getting his shit kicked to the curb after Hillary ascends from the flames of hell into the white house.
He was done either way after the initial press conference. This is him throwing the GOP a bone to defend the house. Comey's last act.

Ugh... this is starting to turn bad again with the media going full on horse race using this. Can Obama do anything to force Comey to make a fricking statement clarifying this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom