• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grym

Hmm...I really wanna see Clinton on Monday in Grand Rapids. Nothing is listing a time though so I can't tell if I can yet or not. Any info out there I'm just not seeing?

Same.

I understand that early voting looks really good, but I read an article (by Nate or one of the other people at 538) that early voting is not usually a very good an indicator of final results. Polling tends to be more a lot more accurate. One of the examples he used showed a 10% or maybe even 20% percent swing from early voting versus the actual final result.

The difference is that far more people are doing early voting now than in the past. In states like Nevada and Florida something like 60%+ of all the votes will come in before election day. Even Nate has said that the Nevada early vote points to a Clinton win, he just doesn't have a way to include that in his model.

TheFatOne

Ok so, are there *any* Massachusetts early voting numbers out yet? I mean, I get that we aren't a swing state, but you'd think that there would be SOMETHING by now...right?

lol Why would anyone give a shit about MA. So solid blue that there is zero reason to report those numbers. Can't wait to vote on Tuesday for yes on question 420 everyday.

Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania have had terrible track records in recent midterms even though they're all fairly secure at the presidential level.

Notice that Wolf won decisively in PA in a terrible year for Democrats and suddenly most of the concern about PA is gone. You have to go back six years to find a bad result there.

eh...gonna have to stop you there.

It's widely acknowledged that the reason Wolf won was because Tom Corbett (his predecessor) was absolutely, totally, completely loathed by everyone on both sides of the aisle. His own party couldn't stand him, and he had no idea how to work to pass legislation.

There was inexplicably gridlock around things that should have flown through the legislature with republicans controlling everything, and to top things off he was linked closely to the penn state sandusky scandal, because he was Attorney General when that case was being prosecuted and fucked it up.

Penn State fans and alumni (and there are a LOT of these, especially in central PA) wanted to burn him at the stake.

If there's anything that gives positive feelings about the direction PA is heading it, it's the supreme court elections the year or so after that, not Wolf's gubernatorial campaign.

Maengun1

Michigan also elected Gary Peters (who is fine, but not like...a sensation or anything lol. He's super boring) in 2014 midterm, and while it was technically a Dem hold he was the only non-incumbent Dem elected to the senate that year. I don't even think offhand there were any non-incumbent Dem winners in the house either, though I'm not 100% on that.

Very likely.

In addition, for some context, Obama made 3 stops in WI in the last 5 days of his 2012 campaign despite that it had gone D since 1988. Sometimes campaigns have motives and aren't just freaking out.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/2012_election_speeches.php?candidate=44&doctype=1150

MI is a dem machine state, where you have multiple large districts that churn out blue votes; Wayne (Detroit), Washtenaw (Ann Arbor), Genesee (Flint) etc. If those major districts turn out in the numbers they're capable of it becomes hard to impossible for republicans to win. So a democrat candidate or president visiting states like that during the lead up to an election is moreso a visit to fire up the machine and meet with the people who run it. Democrats have never had a candidate/president with more experience with urban community organizing than Obama, and he put that experience to work in both elections in states like Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc.

johnsmith

remember me
Ohio this weekend:

CwhzBsnWgAAkgUy.jpg

Good Lord, I'm about to put someone on ignore for the first time.

Michigan doesn't have early voting!!

We have absentee where you can walk into a city clerk office and fill your ballot out on the spot. You need an excuse to get an absentee ballot, but saying you won't be able to get to your polling place on Tuesday is one of those excuses. I voted that way 2 weeks ago and my clerk's office was packed with people doing the same. The votes don't get counted until Election Day though.

Also absentee voting by mail.

Michigan also elected Gary Peters (who is fine, but not like...a sensation or anything lol. He's super boring) in 2014 midterm, and while it was technically a Dem hold he was the only non-incumbent Dem elected to the senate that year. I don't even think offhand there were any non-incumbent Dem winners in the house either, though I'm not 100% on that.
NE-2 flipped blue in 2014 iirc

Joeytj

Banned
Remember that the Clinton campaign organizes states by early voting dates, different from Obama's two other campaigns.

Coincidentally, a lot of blue "safe" or "lean" states don't have early voting.

BriGuy

I swear some of you intentionally TRY to find things to worry about

I don't want to be under a shroud of self-imposed delusion like the Republicans in 2012. Early voting sounds good so far, but I'm worried by the independent and no-party affiliation percentages. I have no idea what way those people are going to break because my own observations lead me to believe that a lot of them are just Republicans that don't want the baggage associated with the Republican label. Yeah, it's anecdotal, but it's part of the reason I can't rest easy until this over.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I know Dems generally seem to do better than Reps in early votes, but does that necessarily mean Republicans always do better on election day?

Jombie

My gut is telling me that Clinton wins but won't be a landslide. With all the shit 538 is getting, it will probably be the poll that's looked back on as being the most accurate. With that said, I can't even look at it anymore.

Armaros

I don't want to be under a shroud of self-imposed delusion like the Republicans in 2012. Early voting sounds good so far, but I'm worried by the independent and no-party affiliation percentages. I have no idea what way those people are going to break because my own observations lead me to believe that a lot of them are just Republicans that don't want the baggage associated with the Republican label. Yeah, it's anecdotal, but it's part of the reason I can't rest easy until this over.

The GOP were completely ignoring standard polling and all metrics that said they are losing.

Thr GOP have no ground campaign this year and Hillary's is massive.

Stop comparing them.

We have absentee where you can walk into a city clerk office and fill your ballot out on the spot. You need an excuse to get an absentee ballot, but saying you won't be able to get to your polling place on Tuesday is one of those excuses. I voted that way 2 weeks ago and my clerk's office was packed with people doing the same. The votes don't get counted until Election Day though.

Also absentee voting by mail.

I'm aware of that, but that's nowhere near the main way people vote there. Technically Mississippi has early voting if you allow for excuse based ballots. That's not what anyone means when they talk about early voting.

Those are good reasons. I am there with you. We should def not get complacent, and I won't truly be at ease until the votes are counted on Tues.

Zukkoyaki

My gut is telling me that Clinton wins but won't be a landslide. With all the shit 538 is getting, it will probably be the poll that's looked back on as being the most accurate. With that said, I can't even look at it anymore.

Well, it already has one state wrong (NV)

Armaros

538 got a lot of shit for their Trump coverage and they were actually wrong as well.

Stop holding a single source as the only good source. They were not the only group that got past elections right.

Debirudog

My gut tells me Nate is going to be humilated.

thebloo

Jeez the last few pages. Does GAF have a Suicide Watch?

It's generally the same people that are prone to panic and a few newcomers that are scared by 538 or RCP averages.

The polls are good, if a bit tighter than desired and (excepting Iowa) there has been nothing but good news in Early Voting.

Pyrokai

Is 538 something I shouldn't be looking at anymore? Goodness have her chances dropped...... And the Senate, too. Is this real life? I was so optimistic after the Nevada supermarket stuff, and now it looks blah.....

mo60

She is not going to win in a landslide, but she is most likely going to do as well as obama did in 08 in terms of the popular vote which is good enough.

The sad thing about it is that Trump essentially has no ground game or surrogates, and still has high possibility of winning the state regardless of the all-star lineup Clinton has.

the sad thing is that the democratic party needs to drag out all kinds of star power to inspire their base to vote.

All donald trump Jr. has to say is "if you don't go to the polls, minorities will end up getting free stuff".

The primaries are irrelevant, so bringing that up in regards to Michigan seems a bit bed-wettery. (although I guess there's nothing wrong with not taking anything for granted)

So, Trump is going to Minnesota. Stupid, right?

Jake Tapper
‏@jaketapper
Trump today says an internal poll shows him doing “phenomenally” in MN; Dem Senator @alfranken will join me live on @CNNSotu to discuss --

Trump no longer has internal polling. So, why would he say this?

Because of this.

MN high schools had a mock election. Trump won it. It was covered on Fox News.

So, he's running his campaign based off of mock elections covered by Fox News. Because, why not!

Crocodile

talking about race or racism as if it exists at ALL makes white americans extremely uncomfortable, and they will go out of their way to use tortured logic to avoid saying "oh yeah, those are racists."

"economic anxiety" is false, but its a fiction everyone wants to believe so they keep using it.

it's why the media always refers to the "working class" when they mean "uneducated white people who are probably racist."

@jbouie's been teeing off on this crap coming from the far left for months.

Sanders is absolutely wrong about this, it is precisely what made him a bad candidate in the first place. People are flocking to trump on the basis of lies and a promise of a singular white America where foreign cultures are no longer acceptable.

None of his proposals make any economic sense and to make things worse, it would require decimating most federal environmental regulations.

I wish Sanders would know better. These people that trump attracts are not representative of what America is. They are more representative of Russia than the USA.

I mean this was Sanders' mo during the campaign, and probably my most fundamental disagreement with him.

You can't go around claiming you're the hero of minorities and #blm and such because you marched with King but then argue that winning white support is what's important and the only reason they aren't Democrats is that they're pissed about the economy.

Bernie has been doing well and busting his ass for the campaign recently but that statement gave me a vivid reminder of one of the major reasons I didn't vote for him in the primary.

Bowdz

My gut tells me I need to start cooking dinner. Black cod and kabocha squash and fennel soup with candied pumpkin seeds brahs. GOTTA GET DEM GAINZ.

Is 538 something I shouldn't be looking at anymore? Goodness have her chances dropped...... And the Senate, too. Is this real life? I was so optimistic after the Nevada supermarket stuff, and now it looks blah.....

Take it in stride. Note the criticisms that people are making about it and read up on their defense of their model. It is but one model that predicts the election.

People panic too quickly. Wait for a trend before you panic. If Upshot and PEC are down at 65% along with 538 on Monday night, then you can start to panic.

People seem to fixate on one piece of information (whether good or bad) without finding a bunch of information, evaluating the info, and synthesizing it to get a big picture.

SexyFish

Banned

Jake Tapper
‏@jaketapper
Trump today says an internal poll shows him doing “phenomenally” in MN; Dem Senator @alfranken will join me live on @CNNSotu to discuss --

Because of this.

So, he's running his campaign based off of mock elections covered by Fox News. Because, why not!

Oh my fucking god.

He realizes fucking Mondale even won Minnesota right?

Edit: Fuck me, could of sworn Mondale was from the Northeast.

BiggNife

It's fine to look at 538 but don't use it as your only source. Other prediction models have Hillary at a pretty healthy lead. Look at everything and then make your own decision from there.

538's odds have had Hillary at around 65% for like 3 or 4 days now so I'm not sure why you're freaking out about that now instead of earlier.

Jake Tapper
‏@jaketapper

Because of this.

HAHAHAHA. Oh god. This is too fucking good.

You know if people want to bedwet about fantasy scenarios where Trump wins Michigan wouldnt it be equally as likely Clinton takes Missouri and Indiana?

I hope some one asks Kellyanne about them not paying their pollster. Kellyanne personally called a few hundred people in MN.

Crocodile

Jake Tapper
‏@jaketapper

Because of this.

I mean, someone like Pence or Conway - who is a POLLSTER - would put a stop to hypothetical stupidity like that right?

I mean, someone like Pence or Conway - who is a POLLSTER - would put a stop to hypothetical stupidity like that right?

You really think Conway is a true believer? Trump is a means to an end and at this point they all probably know what's going to happen.

They all are just not telling Trump what's going to happen. Jokes on them though. None of them are ever getting paid lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom