• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Not to me. Iowa's super white. I don't know why it wouldn't be a huge issue for Clinton.

It wasn't a big issue for Obama. I don't really understand why it's gone to far toward Trump, but that's the direction it's been trending since Obama was elected. Makes me sad. (It's my home state.)

Ted Nugent is joining Trump at a rally on Sunday. Hold onto your butts.
Make a bet on how long before he goes full bore racist.
Not going to help him. He's catering to people that were going to vote for him. At least Jay Z is trying to get the black votes up and out.

Zackat

I see people with armor on at the Trump rally! Was somebody killed?

32edef9c83.gif

this gif makes me laugh every time

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Trump came back out.

Someone needs to get a Medal of Honor from one of those recipients and give it to him. I've never seen such bravery.

I started a discussion a few months back on here about how democrats need to start reaching rural whites more with their message. Iowa and the shrinking leads in the Midwest is showing why.
Actually, if that argument requires that we accept diet racism, sexism and homophobia in order to make some rural whites happy...then no. If they want to vote for a literal Nazi, then I don't need to have a conversation with them.

I started a discussion a few months back on here about how democrats need to start reaching rural whites more with their message. Iowa and the shrinking leads in the Midwest is showing why.

"Rural" populations make-up ~15% of the Country, according to the last Census. Their elected reps have already fought tooth and nail to avoid massive Federal infrastructure funds which could help make their communities more livable and prosperous. But the fact is that many of the rural towns just aren't salvageable because they don't provide much in the way of resources for the type of economy we have in the 21st Century.

Massive, labor intensive manufacturing isn't coming back, and what will, will require much smaller workforces and those components will mainly be produced overseas, to be finished/assembled here. The jobs that allowed the rural areas to boom from 40-70s don't exist anymore, so short of renewable power, academics, or tourism, what do these folks expect to sustain their communities in an information/retail economy?

Crocodile

They have the economic policies to do it. The poor and lower middle-class just get reamed by the GOP in comparison to the rich when it comes to taxes. The democrats just can't package the message well enough to reach that group. Romney's 47% comment crushed him, but he made the comment himself .

Most everybody likes the social programs like SS, medicaid, etc. What most of the GOP base doesn't like is that non-white people get them too (even if they use them less overall since they are a smaller segment of the population). How do you craft a message that appeals to "economic anxiety" (LOL) that doesn't throw the legit concerns of minorities under a bus?

Honestly, I say fuck 'em. I mean, craft policy to help them, but rural whites are irrelevant to the new Democratic coalition.

It's better and easier to energize Latinos and Latinas, keep African-American participation high, and appeal to urbanites and educated women.

If Iowa and Michigan and Ohio want to go red, that's fine. They're bleeding population and will end up losing EVs to newly blue Arizona, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia, and to established blue states such as Washington, California, Minnesota, and New York after the next census anyway.

I'm tired of my party trying to appeal to rural white folks. Those people don't want to be in a party with my black ass anyway. Do something for me and women and gay and transgender folks, and do something for people who live in urban centers instead.

UraMallas

It wasn't a big issue for Obama. I don't really understand why it's gone to far toward Trump, but that's the direction it's been trending since Obama was elected. Makes me sad. (It's my home state.)

I can't figure it out myself entirely. I get that it's incredibly white and uneducated but I don't understand the incredible disdain for Hillary. Maybe because of the how uneducated we are, the majority are more easily duped into believing all of this Hillary nonsense? I can't believe how many of my friends are full-Trump supporters. Like, they hate Hillary irrationally. I'm a millennial and so are most all of them. Even if Obama broke them how did we vote for him twice?

It makes no sense.

Is it misogyny that is our problem over being racist? I think about this often.

What are early polling? Are they just exit polls and demographic data? Or are they actually tallying up votes being sent in early??

If you mean early voting, it's complete demographic data. We know the party ID, ethnicity, gender, age etc. of everyone who voted but not who they voted for (yet).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Actually, if that argument requires that we accept diet racism, sexism and homophobia in order to make some rural whites happy...then no. If they want to vote for a literal Nazi, then I don't need to have a conversation with them.

Never. Never in a million years. If the democrats can make up the loss of Midwestern states by flipping others, then great. I'm just worried they won't be able to in 2020 if GOP gets full control of government and crushes our immigration.

Honestly, I say fuck 'em. I mean, craft policy to help them, but rural whites are irrelevant to the new Democratic coalition.

It's better and easier to energize Latinos and Latinas, keep African-American participation high, and appeal to urbanites and educated women.

If Iowa and Michigan and Ohio want to go red, that's fine. They're bleeding population and will end up losing EVs to newly blue Arizona, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia, and to established blue states such as Washington, California, Minnesota, and New York after the next census anyway.

I'm tired of my party trying to appeal to rural white folks. Those people don't want to be in a party with my black ass anyway. Do something for me and women and gay and transgender folks, and do something for people who live in urban centers instead.

This is a bad strategy for anything but winning Presidential elections and getting gridlock. You can't win Congress with urban votes.

NeoXChaos

I can't figure it out myself entirely. I get that it's incredibly white and uneducated but I don't understand the incredible disdain for Hillary. Maybe because of the how uneducated we are, the majority are more easily duped into believing all of this Hillary nonsense? I can't believe how many of my friends are full-Trump supporters. Like, they hate Hillary irrationally. I'm a millennial and so are most all of them. Even if Obama broke them how did we vote for him twice?

It makes no sense.

Is it misogyny that is our problem over being racist? I think about this often.

NH and ME are just as lily white but they vote Democratic more often than not. Im surprised Obama did as well with non-college in IA/midwest and bombed with them elsewhere.

IA should vote like the South but Democrats have except for 04 and maybe now 16 won it.

I was running errands this afternoon and missed the whole Nate Silver tweetstorm issue. Might as well add my thoughts. First, there are intelligent criticisms to be made of the Fivethirtyeight model. Ryan Grim did not make one. It comes across like he has no clue how the model even works. Second, responding with a Twitter tirade is not a good way to respond. Nate is so thin skinned he never learned the art of giving your enemies enough rope to hang themselves. A reasoned article in response would be appropriate. This just makes Nate look bad in a situation where he is fundamentally right.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My big hope for Tuesday is exactly what happened in the primaries: Hillary outperforming her polls, and Trump underperforming his.

UraMallas

NH and ME are just as lily white but they vote Democratic more often than not. Im surprised Obama did as well with non-college in IA/midwest and bombed with them elsewhere.

IA should vote like the South but Democrats have except for 04 and maybe now 16 won it.

Why should we vote like the South? Our demos don't look like anybody in the South, to my knowledge. How white is MO and OK?

Emarv

Reports are someone pulled a gun. Unclear if it was against Trump or not.

Either way, this shit needs to be under control for the next 3 days (and beyond). The last thing we need is violence to come out against him.

royalan

The problem with this is that the Democrats' message is ALREADY tailored to rural whites.

--Expanded government programs and safety nets.
--Lower middle class taxes.
--Traditionally not as pro-trade as Republicans.
--Pro infrastructure spending.

If we were to compare the two, the Democrats have the far friendlier platform in regards to appealing to what the rural white vote CLAIMS to want.

Where Republicans have them beat? Dog-whistle racism.

The "rural white vote" as a block want all the things that the Democrats want to offer...minus inclusion for minorities. Until that changes, nothing the Democrats ever do win that vote. Not without ejecting minorities/women.

You can't redraw the maps without winning state legislatures in those states. And those legislatures can't be won with just urban votes either.

Then we're stuck.

It's clear that rural white voters by and large don't care about anything but fucking over people who are different than them.

No amount of policy is going to make them happy or to convince them to vote for Democrats unless that policy specifically is racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, and all-around exclusionary to everyone except white evangelicals.

KingBroly

Banned
Reports are someone pulled a gun. Unclear if it was against Trump or not.

Either way, this shit needs to be under control for the next 3 days (and beyond). The last thing we need is violence to come out against him.

The agents could audibly by heard saying "gun gun"

Obama won Iowa twice by good margins, but now all of sudden Iowa is full of irredeemable white nationalist deplorables and Dems should give up on the state. Fickle bunch here.

TheFatOne

The problem with this is that the Democrats' message is ALREADY tailored to rural whites.

If we were to compare the two, the Democrats have the far friendlier platform in regards to appealing to what the rural white vote CLAIMS to want.

The "rural white vote" as a block want all the things that the Democrats want to offer...minus inclusion for minorities. Until that changes, nothing the Democrats ever do win that vote. Not without ejecting minorities/women.
Yup. Pandering to these assholes is not the way to go. Fuck them. The country is changing and they are just going to have to fucking deal with it.

A trump supporter could have brought a gun because he wanted to be patriotic
I know it sounds dumb but remember the time a trump supporter tried to climb trump tower

Effect

What's that got to do with it?

Glad no one was hurt but the last thing that needs to happen is if it wasn't a white guy to give people an open to go on racist rants more so then they already are. When crap like this goes down sadly one of the first things that come to mind is I hope the person doesn't have brown skin. I hate that my mind goes there but it does in so many situations knowing how many people respond.

ezrarh

Yup. Rural areas, to put it in their terms are "takers" when it comes to tax redistribution. Government is what keeps half these areas alive. There's nothing the Democrats can do to gain their votes until they deal with their racism.

UraMallas

Yup. Rural areas, to put it in their terms are "takers" when it comes to tax redistribution. Government is what keeps half these areas alive. There's nothing the Democrats can do to gain their votes until they deal with their racism.

And the main problem in Iowa is that we aren't exposed at all. I know a large portion of my friends believe racism doesn't exist. They are the type that believes having Obama as the president solved it. The idea that liking rap music and certain NFL players makes them not racist. We have such a small percentage of black people, many small towns literally have nobody that isn't white. I grew up in a small town in IA with about 15k people. 1 black family in the town with kids my age. There was one family in the entire school district that wasn't white besides our foreign exchange students.

We never have to deal with it so maybe it's easier to dog whistle us. I dunno. Just thinking out loud.

Would someone like Biden lose Iowa? I doubt it.

Hell no. Good point. Biden would roll here.

Obama won Iowa twice by good margins, but now all of sudden Iowa is full of irredeemable white nationalist deplorables and Dems should give up on the state. Fickle bunch here.

I am not a fan of the Iowa-bashing in here but at the same time it's time to look at what the Hell is happening here. It doesn't make any sense without some form of bigotry, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom