• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

I dunno, Vermont, Minnesota, and to some extent Colorado have rural areas that are usually pretty competitive. Rural areas that live and die by the highway and have predominately non college educated voters, yeah, not so much.

I'm not ready to write off the next generation of people in the Midwest yet.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Apparently the Secret Service had to rush Trump off the stage for some potential threat at the front of one of his rallies? Popped up on CNN alert.

Apparently the Secret Service had to rush Trump off the stage for some potential threat at the front of one of his rallies? Popped up on CNN alert.
You still use CNN instead of GAF for news?
We see shit miles earlier sometimes
But yeah, there was a physical fight with a protestor and he was dragged out

Grief.exe

This guy had his whole family booing the press at the rally.

EXY8w2D.png

NeoXChaos

VT is as lily white as IA and pro-gun yet its going to give Hillary one of her largest state margins. kev I dont think its as simple as being mostly white.

royalan

I dunno, Vermont, Minnesota, and to some extent Colorado have rural areas that are usually pretty competitive. Rural areas that live and die by the highway and have predominately non college educated voters, yeah, not so much.

I'm not ready to write off the next generation of people in the Midwest yet.

Democrats don't have the power to make rural white voters less racist. Sorry. Democrats can't force millions of educated minorities and women into rural areas to slowly acclimate the populations.

You're forcing a problem on the shoulders of Democrats that they just can't handle.

jiggle

Emarv

Was there even a gun?
Can we confirm there was a rally at all? Were you there? Did you see it with your own eyes or are you just believing what the liberal media wants you to?

We don't know anything. We're just waiting for a real report. Not unconfirmed reports from the press pool.

It's unlikely there was any gun because the Secret Service usually shuts down these events if firearms entered them as its a signal of security breach.

Everyone had to go through a metal detector too.

What might have happened was that a protester was yelling at Trump, a fight started between Trumpkins and the protester (uncertain who started it), the protester probably made a hand motion that looked like pulling or aiming a gun (or maybe had a fake gun) and then other (apparently just one according to reporters) rally goers got freaked out and yelled "gun!" which made the Secret Service yell out "gun!" out of precaution.

But this is just speculation, we'll see.

In a vacuum I would like for the Democrats to do better with rural whites. If we could substantially improve our performance without hurting ourselves elsewhere, great. The issue is, and I speak here as someone who spends a fair amount of time visit relatives in rural areas, that I have a hard time seeing how to do so without alienating other voters who are part of the base or otherwise low-hanging fruit that would be easier to persuade. In a country that is becoming increasingly urban and diverse I do not think that tradeoff is worth it.

Grief.exe

r/The_Donald discovered the email where Hillary asked Colin how he used email while he was in office. They are acting like this is the smoking gun that will incriminate both of them.

N7BtO5g.png

How educated is VT?

Vermont and Colorado are very well educated, make it difficult to impossible for Republicans to make in roads.

Slayven

Democrats don't have the power to make rural white voters less racist. Sorry. Democrats can't force millions of educated minorities and women into rural areas to slowly acclimate the populations.

You're forcing a problem on the shoulders of Democrats that they just can't handle.

Preach

UraMallas

Vermont and Colorado are very well educated, make it difficult to impossible for Republicans to make in roads.

Maybe it has to do with how uneducated we are, then. Hillary has been getting shit on for decades and I think a lot of people here have bought that narrative. I don't think that - I should say that I know it. Even the millennial generation that I'm part of believes this shit a lot more than they should around here. There is a strong hate for Hillary in IA. I've seen it for my entire adult life. She lost to Obama in the primaries and then barely beat Bernie, after all.

It's unlikely there was any gun because the Secret Service usually shuts down these events if firearms entered them as its a signal of security breach.

Everyone had to go through a metal detector too.

What might have happened was that a protester was yelling at Trump, a fight started between Trumpkins and the protester (uncertain who started it), the protester probably made a hand motion that looked like pulling or aiming a gun (or maybe had a fake gun) and then other rally goers got freaked out and yelled "gun!" which made the Secret Service yell out "gun!" out of precaution.

But this is just speculation, we'll see.

This is what I was thinking, honestly. Security at these things are pretty tight, it's more likely that people just thought there was a gun and the Secret Service did their job and got him off stage.

As to the fight itself, gonna have to wait and see. Probably a protester who got punched, though it's certainly possible that the (still hypothetical) protester through the first punch. Tensions are high. I doubt it was deplorable-on-deplorable violence.

Looks like one dude freaked out when a fight broke out and thought he saw a gun in the carnage and the Secret Service took the proper precautions.

Senior sources tell @ABC the threat escalated when someone shouted gun at Trump rally. Source with direct knowledge says no weapon found

https://twitter.com/JTSantucci/status/795078312905220096

edit: Trump was mocking the protester and said "take him out" right before the fight started so this is probably the closest Trump has gotten to directly inciting a riot.

kess

The Democrats need to maintain a nominal presence in mid size towns in the Midwest to keep the Senate within their grasp. Kander doesn't win with the large cities alone.

Grief.exe

Maybe it has to do with how uneducated we are, then. Hillary has been getting shit on for decades and I think a lot of people here have bought that narrative. I don't think that - I should say that I know it. Even the millennial generation that I'm part of believes this shit a lot more than they should around here. There is a strong hate for Hillary in IA. I've seen it for my entire adult life.

It's so easy for people's minds to be poisoned these days. They have infinite sources to get bad information, while the reality often takes longer to properly research.

I found the image I was looking for.

wasserman-split-11.png

She lost to Obama in the primaries and then barely beat Bernie, after all.

The reality is Obama barely beat Hillary, while Hillary smoked Bernie.

UraMallas

The Democrats need to maintain a nominal presence in mid size towns in the Midwest to keep the Senate within their grasp. Kander doesn't win with the large cities alone.

Kander is an absolute dream candidate in my neck of the woods, I think. He would give Grassley stiff competition, I bet. I wish we had him.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's so easy for people's minds to be poisoned these days. They have infinite sources to get bad information, while the reality often takes longer to properly research.

I found the image I was looking for.

wasserman-split-11.png

Kind of amazing we do well in Nevada...

royalan

Well they are voting for Trump...

RIGHT!?

I mean:

fZSFUB9.jpg

I mean for fucks sake, after the last year and some months...are we STILL trying to act like good old fashioned, red blooded, grade A racism is not a major motivator for how some groups vote? Are we still digging for that "noble reason" that poor folk would vote for the party whose signature policies would and have fucked them over?

Sorry if it hurts, but there are a lot of racist white people in this country. I don't know what to tell you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom