• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PatrickSvitek
Number of early voters in Texas, in person and by mail, per @VoteTexas:
- 2012: 3,407,497
- 2016: 4,497,431
--> 32 percent increase

giphy.gif

7.87mil total votes cast in TX, in 2012

They're gonna disappoint you, bro. But I love the optimism.

I want to believe!...

So I checked my facebook timeline in 2012 and apparently I was a raging republican who was pissed that obama won, blocked people celebrating, and posted things like "I'm tired of everyone on this facebook being flaming liberals". Now I'm the complete opposite.

I dont even remember any of that honestly. I guess back then the only political influences I had were fox news and my parents, and now I'm in college and view GAF all the time. So it makes sense why I changed so dramatically.

Somewhat similar story. Voted R all four times I was eligible, but a few years ago started questioning the things I believed in. Not in college by any stretch anymore, but it's those personal interactions you have with people that makes you question why you should want to treat them like shit.

It's been a steady trend since.

New oppo hit or are you still hoping for the Russian orgy tape?

No I never believed in that mythical oppo crap, I just like bringing it up since people were so irrational about it being real. I guess the strategy is to release it after the election, when nobody expects it :p

7.87mil total votes cast in TX, in 2012

They're gonna disappoint you, bro. But I love the optimism.

I want to believe!...

True. Republicans were about 16% over dems in 2012 though.

you get that down into single digits, and it's panic time for the GOP.

I'd be happy with flipping a house seat, and diverting money away from the rest of the country for the next couple of cycles- because if Texas turns into a swing state (under 5% or so) it's over for them.

Drakeon

Assuming Hillary can get judges in to replace Scalia and probably Ginsberg, how long do we expect the 5-4 advantage to last? Could she end up replacing a 3rd judge to give us a 6-3 advantage?

Depends, we'd have to lose Kennedy to get a 6-3 advantage. It's got an outside shot of happening, he's 80, so if Hillary had two terms, he might retire for health reasons before she's up.

You'd want to replace Ginsburg and Breyer on the liberal side, Ginsburg being 83 and Breyer 78.

Everyone under those 3 is too young to really see any of them leaving in the next 8 years. I think Clarence Thomas is the next oldest at 68.

Depends, we'd have to lose Kennedy to get a 6-3 advantage. It's got an outside shot of happening, he's 80, so if Hillary had two terms, he might retire for health reasons before she's up.

You'd want to replace Ginsburg and Breyer on the liberal side, Ginsburg being 83 and Breyer 78.

Everyone under those 3 is too young to really see any of them leaving in the next 8 years. I think Clarence Thomas is the next oldest at 68.

I think we'll end up replacing ginsburg, scalia, and breyer in clinton's first term. Kennedy gets a lot of (undeserved) credit for being a moderate, but he's really conservative on everything outside of abortion. I can see him just holding out until he dies in office, which might be hillary term #2.

True. Republicans were about 16% over dems in 2012 though.

you get that down into single digits, and it's panic time for the GOP.

I'd be happy with flipping a house seat, and diverting money away from the rest of the country for the next couple of cycles- because if Texas turns into a swing state (under 5% or so) it's over for them.

Yeah, like i've been saying, it's a cascade effect. You get the GOP to +5 or less, and you start to convince some of the South Tejas communities that they can weild power, state-wide. Texas isn't ruby-red cause they're a Conservative Mecca, it's because Dems and Liberals don't vote; they've been taught that over a generation. Hell, Oops! Perry was a Democrat before he saw the writing on the wall.

PPP said Ohio's been within a point every time (4) they've polled it this past month. Trump winning it wouldn't surprise me but don't count Hillary out.

That was close to a 2 hour wait in that fucking line in Orlando. This might have been my first and last time voting, for real. Ain't nobody got time for that. Well, I guess I can always do absentee, so that could be okay.

I reluctantly, hesitantly voted for Clinton - Kaine. Enthusiastically voted against Little Marco (was gonna go with a NPA candidate, but knew he had no chance of winning, so picked the DEM one.). Going downballot to other candidates and I had no idea who they were so I decided on the spot to vote for NPA whenever possible and DEM if not possible. That ended up being all but two choices, IIRC. Then I voted NO on Amendment 1, YES on 2, 3, 5. There were some other random crap and people that I had no idea about, so I just left them blank.

So, this "Trump supporter" - as I was being called yesterday - voted almost all dem.

As a side note, I think FL will be competitive as fuck. For every Clinton - Kaine sign, I see about 7-10 Trump - Pence signs. That's not an exaggeration. It includes rural and urban areas. I actually saw a big ass sign on I4 between Lakeland and Tampa that reads, "I'm a deplorable and I am voting for TRUMP" or something like that.

Drakeon

I think we'll end up replacing ginsburg, scalia, and breyer in clinton's first term. Kennedy gets a lot of (undeserved) credit for being a moderate, but he's really conservative on everything outside of abortion. I can see him just holding out until he dies in office, which might be hillary term #2.

Yeah, I'm not sure Kennedy will retire willingly with a Democrat in the White House.

We don't really need a 6-3 advantage, 5-4 would be more than enough as long as they are all relatively young.

That was close to a 2 hour wait in that fucking line in Orlando. This might have been my first and last time voting, for real. Ain't nobody got time for that. Well, I guess I can always do absentee, so that could be okay.

I reluctantly, hesitantly voted for Clinton - Kaine. Enthusiastically voted against Little Marco (was gonna go with a NPA candidate, but knew he had no chance of winning, so picked the DEM one.). Going downballot to other candidates and I had no idea who they were so I decided on the spot to vote for NPA whenever possible and DEM if not possible. That ended up being all but two choices, IIRC. Then I voted NO on Amendment 1, YES on 2, 3, 5. There were some other random crap and people that I had no idea about, so I just left them blank.

So, this "Trump supporter" - as I was being called yesterday - voted almost all dem.

As a side note, I think FL will be competitive as fuck. For every Clinton - Kaine sign, I see about 7-10 Trump - Pence signs. That's not an exaggeration. It includes rural and urban areas. I actually saw a big ass sign on I4 between Lakeland and Tampa that reads, "I'm a deplorable and I am voting for TRUMP" or something like that.

You should be careful with the NPA candidates. Some of them are looney tunes. Or actual members of the KKK.

You only have yourself to blame if you're in line in Florida. They really couldn't make absentee voting any easier unless they hand-delivered it to you and rubbed your shoulders while you filled it out.

Florida is always close. Since 1992, there is less than 70k votes, out of tens of millions that separate the two parties.

But thanks for not voting for a moronic, orange fascist

1561f8f8e4d3118a1714539aff9eb050.jpg

You only have yourself to blame if you're in line in Florida. They really couldn't make absentee voting any easier unless they hand-delivered it to you and rubbed your shoulders while you filled it out.

That would be nice....

Really though, all I need is an app and a website where I can go, enter my information and vote. Boom. Done. It's 2016. No reason to not have that option.

royalan

That would be nice....

Really though, all I need is an app and a website where I can go, enter my information and vote. Boom. Done. It's 2016. No reason to not have that option.

NO

NO NO NO

HAVE YOU BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO ANYTHING THAT'S HAPPENED THIS YEAR.

LITERALLY EVERYTHING HAS GOTTEN HACKED.

Thanks to 2016 we will probably never get online voting and THANK GOD for that.

Holmes

Is it over yet? I have to start bedwetting over the Ontario Provincial election in 2 years!
lul I moved out of Ontario in favor of California and I'm better for it politically. Horwath is the only one who can stop Brown and (southern) Ontario still sucks too much to electi an NDP government. Sorry.

Holmes

Do voting by mail in the future and never look back. I foresee it getting bigger and bigger in Florida each cycle, just like in California, where now about 60% of voters vote by mail in elections. It might even be higher than that this year here.

NO

NO NO NO

HAVE YOU BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO ANYTHING THAT'S HAPPENED THIS YEAR.

LITERALLY EVERYTHING HAS GOTTEN HACKED.

Thanks to 2016 we will probably never get online voting and THANK GOD for that.

I have done contract work for the DOJ, NSA, and USCIS. None of the stuff they really want to protect ever gets hacked. This is not PSN, if the government wanted something really secure, they could build it.

Yes there is. Like actual voter fraud concerns.
Voting machines are bad enough, putting it online is way, way worse.

I would argue that - with a robust system in place - it would address fraud concerns much better than the antiquated voting system and machine they have in place at the polling place now.

Here is a great place to start.

Cute.

royalan

I have done contract work for the DOJ, NSA, and USCIS. None of the stuff they really want to protect ever gets hacked. This is not PSN, if the government wanted something really secure, they could build it.

...you do realize the State Department got hacked this year, right?

Our government gets hacked all the time by China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom