• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done contract work for the DOJ, NSA, and USCIS. None of the stuff they really want to protect ever gets hacked. This is not PSN, if the government wanted something really secure, they could build it.

Someone who works as a contractor for government agencies might want to bone up on the fact States control the infrastructure of voting, even in Federal elections. It's why we have dozens of different voting methods, from scantron, touchscreen to paper ballots.

Do they even teach Civics in schools anymore?

...you do realize the State Department got hacked this year, right?

Our government gets hacked all the time by China.

They get attacked and hack attempts all the time, yeah. I am aware of that.

Someone who works as a contractor for government agencies might want to bone up on the fact States control the infrastructure of voting, even in Federal elections. It's why we have dozens of different voting methods, from scantron, touchscreen to paper ballots.

Do they even teach Civics in schools anymore?

I know that. Doesn't change the fact they could build a robust and safe infrastructure for people to vote online, but I digress.

Just a few days remaining until we get to see Trump meltdown. Going to be one hell of a day though I'll be refraining from watching any of the news organizations. They are bound to be insufferable.

teiresias

Elections are not executed and managed at a federal level so citing DoJ or NSA systems is stupid.

Two hours (if that) every four years arms a small price to pay for exercising your fundamental right under our system of government. So sorry it isn't as exciting as someone's latest Snapchat.

Reading r/The_Donald right now is amazing.

They are convinced that this was an assassination attempt against all evidence.

Don't Nazis have enough pride not to lick the asshole of their Dear Leader when one of the Deplorables tries to start a riot?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit. The lead that Hillary has in Nevada right now, is about the same that Obama had for the whole election in 2012! :O

I knew that early voting was great in Nevada, but I had no idea that was the gap we were dealing with. And it looks like by extension that means Masto wins as well.

Elections are not executed and managed at a federal level so citing DoJ or NSA systems is stupid.

Two hours (if that) every four years arms a small price to pay for exercising your fundamental right under our system of government. So sorry it isn't as exciting as someone's latest Snapchat.

Fine. I also worked as an IT contractor for the State of MA and the State of CA. Would that work better for you?

Yeah. You can taste the salt from each post.

Salt is delicious.

Holy shit. The lead that Hillary has in Nevada right now, is about the same that Obama had for the whole election in 2012! :O

I knew that early voting was great in Nevada, but I had no idea that was the gap we were dealing with. And it looks like by extension that means Masto wins as well.

yeah. Ralston reported that the GOP got wiped out at the presidential, senate, and state level, if the early voting numbers were accurate.

i'm hoping that kind of enthusiasm bleeds over into all of the high latino population states.

The most ignorant part of our little gov't contractor buddy's argument is the less than robust, or ubiquitous access to the Internet across our giant landmass. Rural folks, or urban poor who have no, or limited access to the web, would still be forced to trudge to a central location and wait for a computer to vote.

Im done with this silly troll's musings

I missed SNL, did it have an election skit?

Skit? no.

SNL is a documentary. and the events happen in real time.

The most ignorant part of our little gov't contractor buddy's argument is the less than robust, or ubiquitous access to the Internet across our giant landmass. Rural folks, or urban poor who have no, or limited access to the web, would still be forced to trudge to a central location and wait for a computer to vote.

exactly. that shit is state level. and given how they handle voting and registration at the state level, expect "server outages" and "bandwith limitations" mysteriously showing up in minority areas at election time.

They can take their ass to the central location to vote while I would vote on my iphone. Win win.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is Hillary losing Midwestern votes mainly because they don't want to vote for a woman?

Tommy DJ

Internet voting is an issue because it introduces the possibility of systemic fraud and generally poorer voting results. We've tried such a thing with iVote in NSW, Australia and its not without problems.

The conclusions we have is that paper and machine voting is a bit better because you essentially eliminate widescale systemic fraud from being a possiblity at all. If you're going to conduct fraud, its going to be far more isolated to individual polling booths or locations. Yeah, sure you could rig an election by tossing out ballots but that would suggest that the USA is a dictatorship and has very weak democratic foundations.

If you hate walking to your busy pollng place to get a democracy sausage, you can simply mail it in or vote early in most cases.

Blader

I have done contract work for the DOJ, NSA, and USCIS. None of the stuff they really want to protect ever gets hacked. This is not PSN, if the government wanted something really secure, they could build it.

They must really not want to be secure, then, because the federal government has been hacked many many times. Were any of these things to occur on Election Day or during early vote, it would immediately compromise the voting results.

Jeels

yeah. Ralston reported that the GOP got wiped out at the presidential, senate, and state level, if the early voting numbers were accurate.

i'm hoping that kind of enthusiasm bleeds over into all of the high latino population states.

Come on Texas!!!!

sazzy

What a trash poll. From 12 to -1 to +5 in about two weeks.

Think of the 'true' H% D% - which we find out on election day.

Think of this tracking poll as an estimate that meanders towards that true % split.

Its best estimate will be on the day before election day.

Zukkoyaki

Two #Bigly Tweets of Florida 2016 Election...
Of ballots cast so far, % who skipped 2012:
23% W
20% B
34% H
35% Asian
34% Othr/Multi-racial

Two #Bigly Tweets of Florida 2016 Election...
Of ballots cast so far, % by party of those who skipped 2012:
23% Ds
20% Rs
38% NPAs

NPAs are definitely leaning dem

Fat4all

Banned
In West Virginia:

As of Thursday, the state had already set a new early voting record, with more than 158,000 votes cast according to Secretary of State Natalie Tennant’s office.

They are also projecting close to to a 70% turnout by the end of election day.

MSNBC anchor laying into this Trump supporter over the Melania story. Trump surrogates have made it an art to deflect anything into an attack on Hillary.

Anchor: "What's your response to Trump saying x?

Trumpoggate: "Wow you want to talk about x how about Hillary emails which are way worse than x!"

UraMallas

Is Hillary losing Midwestern votes mainly because they don't want to vote for a woman?

I think that's a big part of it in IA. Honestly. I think the right has been dogwhistling against her in a misogynistic way and we out here in IA have heard it better than others.

Yeah, I'm not sure Kennedy will retire willingly with a Democrat in the White House.

We don't really need a 6-3 advantage, 5-4 would be more than enough as long as they are all relatively young.

All right cool, sounds like we'll be safe if she can replace Scalia, Ginsberg and Breyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom