• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done contract work for the DOJ, NSA, and USCIS. None of the stuff they really want to protect ever gets hacked. This is not PSN, if the government wanted something really secure, they could build it.

So the government really doesn't care about the OPM, eh?

This. If you actually did contract work for the feds in the last few years, then the Chinese government quite likely has your information all the way down to your fingerprints right now thanks to the OPM breach. I'm still on gov't identity theft protection from that shit in case they start getting loose with what info they stole.

Fat4all

Banned
Trump is going to win this state more bigly than anyone has in decades.

The numbers are looking very good for Hillary in Mon and Kanawha counties (where the state college is and the Capital, respectively), but yeah there's no doubts this is a Trump win from second one of the polls closing.

We really are mini-Canada politically. Even the Republicans in state government are pretty big government types.

We almost got a single payer bill through but Pawlenty vetoed it. And then Dayton got in and suddenly the DFL backed off from it once it was actually possible. Who would have thought!

mo60

I'm thinking now that trump needs to lose worse than Romney in terms of electoral vote to send a message to breitbart and other people that love to encourage the strategy trump has used in this election. If trump actually manages to beat Romney's EV total Bannon would probably have more influence over the GOP and can try to persuade the GOP that trump's election strategy would have worked if they worked with Trump for example. I do think trump will do worse than Romney did in terms of the electoral vote so it's very unlikely Bannon will have any influence on the GOP post election.

The numbers are looking very good for Hillary in Mon and Kanawha counties (where the state college is and the Capital, respectively), but yeah there's no doubts this is a Trump win from second one of the polls closing.

High Democrat voting numbers in WV are not that good of a sign for Hillary. Like 50% of registered Dems in WV are Dixiecrats who adore Trump.

Dave Wasserman
‏@Redistrict
VA: an amazing 16% of Prince William's absentee votes were cast on the final day vs. 10% elsewhere, consistent w/ last-minute Latino surge.

Whose ready to fund my indiegogo project to create a bunch of Spanish language ads on the wonders of beautiful Ohio?

Slayven

I'm thinking now that trump needs to lose worse than Romney in terms of electoral vote to send a message to breitbart and other people that love to encourage the strategy trump has used in this election. If trump actually manages to beat Romney's EV total Bannon wpould probably have more influence over the GOP and can try to persuade the GOP that trump's election strategy would have worked if they worked with him for example. I do think trump will do worse than Romney did in terms of the electoral vote so it's very unlikely Bannon will have any influence on the GOP post election.

Only people that can call out Bannon and crew is the Paul ryan and the rest of the GOP.

Iolo

I just don't understand how the poll can be so bad for Hillary in Iowa if she is up elsewhere (which it seems like). I don't think the polls are wrong and are missing secret Trump support, it's just a high quality poll gives me pause in the rest of the midwest.

Tuesday night needs to get here already. Fake assassination attempts and legends being started by his campaign is just too reminiscent of the behavior of strongmen to be at all comfortable right now, regardless of how good the polls look.

We really are mini-Canada politically. Even the Republicans in state government are pretty big government types.

We almost got a single payer bill through but Pawlenty vetoed it. And then Dayton got in and suddenly the DFL backed off from it once it was actually possible. Who would have thought!
Is there somewhere I could read more about this? State single payer fights and Minnesota politics are both big areas of interest.

Iolo

Ok I read the Harry Enten article now on Iowa from the 2014 midterm elections and it does seem Iowa may be a special case. Hopefully.

I'm thinking now that trump needs to lose worse than Romney in terms of electoral vote to send a message to breitbart and other people that love to encourage the strategy trump has used in this election. If trump actually manages to beat Romney's EV total Bannon would probably have more influence over the GOP and can try to persuade the GOP that trump's election strategy would have worked if they worked with Trump for example. I do think trump will do worse than Romney did in terms of the electoral vote so it's very unlikely Bannon will have any influence on the GOP post election.

Politicians don't lead, they're led by their voters. When the Dixiecrats were shown the door, it was the last time I can remember a party turning against its base in favor of a wider, more diverse view. Even then, LBJ made a strategic bet that Black voters would reward the Dems with their votes and the coalition of educated White Liberals and Union households would offset the losses. It didn't work out that way, and the Democratic party lost its near hegemony after those voters merged with the Reagan coalition.

Point being, the modern GOP has to fail, miserably, for about a decade, and become a rump, Southern/Midwest party before they'll change. What will stymie Bannon is that the rest of the established grifters will fight his attempted coup, if only to save their own cash-cows.

royalan

When Trump has a 78% share of untruthful statements, WHY are news organizations still airing Trump rallies in full???

The media is disgusting. They earned their bad reputation this news cycle. Earned it completely.

I'm turning my tv off.

Boke1879

When Trump has a 78% share of untruthful statements, WHY are news organizations still airing Trump rallies in full???

The media is disgusting. They earned their bad reputation this news cycle. Earned it completely.

I'm turning my tv off.

You know why. It's ratings man. it's like a symbiotic relationship between the media and Trump.

Trump gets to have all his speeches covered while constantly spouting the "rigged" talk about the media as well.

and places like CNN just air his rallies because he's bringing in the money and don't push back on anything he says.

I'm turning my tv off.

Dood, we've got about 20 years for Cable TV to squeeze every penny from its demographic before the DVR/Twitter generation forces them to either dedicate funds to actual journalism, or (more likely) fall completely into the realm of TMZ.

Buy subscriptions to long-form journalism, and use adblockers and whitelists, religiously. We must bleed them dry before we're all living in Idiocracy

Hopfrog

I'm turning my tv off.

Should be a reckoning for many in the media after this election of their job over the past year and a half. They might pat themselves on the back and argue that they went after him on the Access Hollywood tape and a number of other things, and they would have a bit of a point. But they are also responsible for aiding and abetting the rise of Trump by giving him so much attention and spending an inordinate amount of time on "EMAILZ" to the detriment of other issues.

In the final measure, with a few exceptions (ex. Farenthold) the media has done a real disservice to the country with their coverage.

Amazing, I'm watching for 5 seconds and he makes an anti-Semitic reference.

He also doesn't know what timezone he's in, wow.

The news media might as well start airing Klan rallies since both sides apparently need equal coverage.

The thing about Trump is that while his stupid comments get a lot of coverage his actual policies get a lot of coverage as well.

When was the last time anyone talked about one of her actual policies? I remember one day where like two months ago where their economic policies were discussed. While I'm happy to take the win in this election it's really annoying that the media complains this race isn't about issues while never actually comparing the two on issues.

In another time line where Trump wasn't a bumbling idiot and pulled off a win the media would be just as complicit as the voters.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It's not a coincidence that a private for-profit media would rather air people yelling at each other than actual policy analysis.

You guys want that, you need robust publicly funded media. Obviously you don't want to nationalize control of the media, but you need the funding.

It's not a coincidence that a private for-profit media would rather air people yelling at each other than actual policy analysis.

You guys want that, you need robust publicly funded media. Obviously you don't want to nationalize control of the media, but you need the funding.
I think that would just end up increasing polarization which sucks. any bad media on either side would just be blamed on the government in power. They do that already anyways.

So dailykos has a prediction contest and I submitted my form. A bit more bullish in some areas, bearish in others.

These are only races DKE has rated as tossups - so five House seats going to the Dems, one going to the GOP, and 2 Senate seats (WI and IL) going to Dems aren't included.

Governor

Democrats pick up NC and IN, hold NH, WV, MO. Lose VT

Senate

Democrats win NH, NV, NC, PA... and MO. I believe in Kander. Bayh chokes in IN though.

House

D holds - NE-2, MN-8. D pickups - CA-49, CO-6, FL-7, FL-26, IL-10, MI-1, ME-2, MN-2, NJ-5, NV-3, NY-19, TX-23. R holds - IA-1, PA-8, NY-22, VA-10. R pickups - FL-18.

Tiebreaker, NY-22 margin guess

Independent - 13
Democrat - 41
Republican - 46

Going by their ratings, if all the Lean D/R seats fell where they are that would be a +15 gain.

Also gonna go back on my prediction from like June (lol, way to jump the gun brah) and give Iowa and Arizona to Trump. Hillary still wins Ohio though. 342-196

I'm all for more robust public broadcasting but it hasn't exactly helped the Brits. Honestly even groups like Fox News seem to be losing influence to fringe web outlets like Breitbart, infowars, reddit, etc.

Another good day out of Florida. But, one of the most important things is that the GOP is about 50k votes ahead among people who voted on election day in 2012 as opposed to early voting. What that means is that they are taking a lot of their same-day voters from 2012 and they're voting early this year. This means they are reducing the number of typical election day voters they can turn out.

Miami-Dade early vote turnout is up 67% from 2012.

Also

Steve Schale ‏@steveschale 1h1 hour ago
NPA's in counties with large Hispanic populations really turned out today:
29% of vote in Orange
28% of vote in Hillsborough
28% in Broward

In Broward, we had our biggest day EVER yesterday. Today, we were only down 300 from yesterday, and still like 3k up from a normal day.

Trump is saying that Hillary's concerts are demeaning to the political process.

Trump is having a rally with anti-Semitic conspiracy theorist Ted Nugent tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom