• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.

That's a phenomenal quote.

yep.

And it explains everything about why "white working class republicans" vote the way they do.

Racism isn't just setting crosses on fire on people's lawns and drawing swastikas. These people have an ingrained sense of superiority- that this is "their" country and everyone else should just be happy to be here.

Threaten that, and they'll show up to vote for the GOP to defend it no matter who they run.

Finalizer

It really pisses me off that the only reason this is even close is because of Bernie's shitty primary and Comey.

Had Bernie been less of an asshole the party would have been more united and Trump wouldn't have opened that window that Bernie first cracked opened with white male voters.

What even is this? Are you seriously blaming Bernie for Trump's ability to corral the racist asshole vote? I don't see how anyone can make that kind of logical jump. The best I can come up with is pointing at that tiny, but annoyingly vocal, minority of Bernie -> Trump supporters who, lets be frank, were never there for genuine support of Bernie's ideologies and vision so much as for the dank political memes in the first place. If you ever thought such a group would be a reliable segment for Hillary support, I don't know what to tell you.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's a shame that Trump can win.

Honest question, is it white supremacy at this point? What reasons are people voting him? I see no benefit With him as president.

A lot of it also has to do with sexism. There are still millions of people in this country who would have problems being led by a woman.

shiba5

*sigh* Walking the dog and saw someone driving a car with a fishing pole hanging out of the backseat window waiving a giant Trump/Pence flag. Around the corner a house with a Trump/Pence yard sign. I thought we were smarter on Long Island...

Maybe the guy in the car was just fishing for racists.

witness

In line to see Barry today in Florida! First time seeing the president in person. There's an insane amount of people here. Shouldn't be surprised, this is a huge Puerto Rican county.

I dont think i've seen Kelly-anne meltdown like that before. I guess being the campaign manager for a bunch of losers really gets to you after a while.

Grief.exe

I'm not sure if 538 is going for this angle, but the picture they used on their article going into Trump's base draws a similarity to a portion of the electorate that support Trump. Skews older, white, and male.

Trump's average voter.
CwcbUsBXUAAf9R7.jpg

Hillary's average voter, skews younger, female, and more diverse.
60aae45858ab6ce9dc5b33cc2e69baf7.jpg

Oriel

It's a shame that Trump can win.

Honest question, is it white supremacy at this point? What reasons are people voting him? I see no benefit With him as president.

A lot are just plain racists. But many are also average working class folk who feel left behind by Washington and the effects of globalization. And then there are those who just want to see a massive wrench thrown into the political system and fuck everything up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 21m21 minutes ago

if Clinton manages to tip OH - which today's Columbus Dispatch poll suggests is possible - she could exceed Obama's 2012 total of 332 EVs

*fans self*

Honestly, I'm not an emotional person, but if this happened I'd probably cry. Just seeing these numbers beating a blatant racist like Trump would be pretty inspiring.

thebloo

I get it for trying to convey certain messages to public, easier to digest.

It gets tiresome when used in defenses though. Sports aren't politics.

It's bad for conveying messages too. People are incredibly bad at "feeling" statistics. If you take any sports stat that isn't touted all the time, people will get it wrong.

Necrovex

Any idea how much data the NPR live audio stream will consume per hour? Trying to figure out how I'll follow this election night as I don't have a TV, a radio, WiFi, or live in the states.

A lot are just plain racists. But many are also average working class folk who feel left behind by Washington and the effects of globalization. And then there are those who just want to see a massive wrench thrown into the political system and fuck everything up.

How can these people feel "left behind" if they support a part of "personal responsibility" ? These dumbfucks need to tighten their bootstraps.

HylianTom

Banned
We've entered the point of the process where my 270ToWin White House and Senate interactive tabs are always open.

The Presidency is ours; we'll have breathing room on the margin of that race. But the Senate, despite decent odds, still has me nervous. The good thing is that we have a great ground operation that should get it done - we were DAMN lucky to have so many GOP-vulnerable Senate seats coinciding with swing states that have gone Blue in past elections.

Worst case scenario? A 49D Senate (PA/IL/WI/NV). That'd be absolutely heartbreaking.

Middle scenario? On top of those four seats, we pick-off another seat or two from the remaining races (NH/NC/IN/MO/FL) to get to 50 or 51 - although I don't know precisely where.

Best case scenario? Trump's lack of an operation costs him a point or two, and Clinton's Machine drives infrequent voters to the polls such that we outperform polling by several points, giving us a few surprise downticket bonuses.

Really damn happy that I have off from work to Thursday.. I'm going to be too antsy to concentrate on anything.

The data doesn't actually back this up.

“those who view Trump favorably have not been disproportionately affected by foreign trade or immigration, compared with people with unfavorable views of the Republican presidential nominee. The results suggest that his supporters, on average, do not have lower incomes than other Americans, nor are they more likely to be unemployed.”

Gallup survey data also suggests that Americans living in geographic locations that have seen manufacturing employment decline since 1990 are not more likely to favor Trump. Furthermore, the Gallup survey suggests there is no evidence that individuals living in geographic locations that were negatively affected by outsourcing of jobs to China are more favorable to Trump either

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/08...nomic-populism-demolishing-a-false-narrative/

These people are only "left behind by washington" in the sense that minorities (and LGBT also, I suppose) are gaining greater representation.

This is about race.

This is not about economics.

These are racist people, voting because they feel they are losing influence.

Call it what it is.

Stop denying that race and racism play the gigantic part in how people vote, live, work, date, and behave that everyone knows it does.

I just don't understand this one. Republicans claim that they are the working class, but they can't adapt to the changing job markets? It's unfair to them? Fuck
that, it's been unfair to a lot of people over the past decade/century.

Oriel

The data doesn't actually back this up.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/08...nomic-populism-demolishing-a-false-narrative/

These people are only "left behind by washington" in the sense that minorities are gaining greater representation.

This is about race.

This is not about economics.

These are racist people, voting because they feel they are losing influence.

Call it what it is.

Stop denying that race and racism play the gigantic part in how people vote, live, work, date, and behave that everyone knows it does.

Counterpunch? Yeah, sure.

Zackat

Any idea how much data the NPR live audio stream will consume per hour? Trying to figure out how I'll follow this election night as I don't have a TV, a radio, WiFi, or live in the states.
Twitter is pretty good honestly. Everything gonna get blasted on there on a second to second basis. Just follow some good people and you will get all your updates. This forum will also be *very* active. And give you all the info you need, I imagine.

Oriel

I just don't understand this one. Republicans claim that they are the working class, but they can't adapt to the changing job markets? It's unfair to them? Fuck
that, it's been unfair to a lot of people over the past decade/century.

Ironically the GOP have tended to be the party of staunch capitalists so it's a bit rich of them to be suddenly the party of protectionism and interventionism.

You'll be able to follow the returns on literally every news site. Frankly the less news coverage you have to watch or listen to, the better.

I use the NPR One app a fair amount. Just checking my usage, I listened to 10-15 hours of content last week and it used up about 80mb.

Slayven

My sister works for Directv, and Friday the HD versions of Fox News and CNN went out.

She said no one called about CNN, but the Fox News people were mad as hell.

Oriel

counterpunch is sourcing a washington post article summarizing a survey done by gallup.

you want to continue to handwave that?

Then cite the WP article. CP is a notoriously unreliable source. As for your contention that the Trump train is driven largely by racism that's far too simplistic and doesn't take into account the changing mood among traditionally blue, working class voters as they see their jobs shipped overseas due to globalization. We're talking tens of millions here, they're not all racists. It's a similar phenomenon playing out in Europe where the far right is surging.

My sister works for Directv, and Friday the HD versions of Fox News and CNN went out.

I'm shocked that the people that watch a news network based on fear and anger were mad and angry. They were probably forced to get actual news instead of red meat.

Boke1879

Then cite the WP article. CP is a notoriously unreliable source. As for your contention that the Trump train is driven largely by racism that's far too simplistic and doesn't take into account the changing mood among traditionally blue, working class voters as they see their jobs shipped overseas due to globalization. We're talking tens of millions here, they're not all racists. It's a similar phenomenon playing out in Europe where the far right is surging.

They are supporting a racist candidate. We aren't gonna sugar coat things. When working class is brought up it's always talking about the "white working class" You don't see the black or Hispanic working class lining up behind Trump.

They're not all racists, but they are willing to support a racist and his racist policies to get what they want. Consequences be damned.

I am so fucking sick and tired of the excuses the media makes up for these voters so that they're not responsible for the consequences of their vote.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

I wonder how many of those people were watching the HD feed on non HD TVs or on HD sets with legacy connections. Lol

Slayven

I'm shocked that the people that watch a news network based on fear and anger were mad and angry. They were probably forced to get actual news instead of red meat.

Some one should do a brain study on people that constantly watch 24 news. I wouldn't be shocked if a mild drug effect going on.

That's a problem moving forward if things would continue to decline for Dems in midwestern states like IA. I can't believe how bad things look there compared to 8, even 4 years ago. It's gone.

I really hope there's an upset in a state like AZ or GA and AK just to pad the margins for HRC if nothing else

They're trending red because they're losing the young, educated professionals moving to other states. This matters because they're not being replaced by anyone more than a very small natural increase due to births. In fact, most of the population increases are coming from immigrants working in agriculture and meat processing.

We may lose their swing vote, but they're pretty much guaranteed to stay stable, or lose EV votes in the future. I'll take a swinging AZ, GA, and soon TX in return. That coupled with a solidifying NV and NC allow OH and IA to go where they please without threatening Dem POTUS margins

Receipts: http://population2016.com/population-of-iowa-in-2016.html

thebloo

I wonder who the average working class black folk is supporting?

What economic anxiety plagues that demographic I wonder?

There aren't any. They're to busy killing each other and taking social security. I mean, look, even their president is slacking on the job. Making trips for Hillary. Hell Street!

/s in case it wasn't obvious

Wonder that they're going to do when they realize it is impossible to bring those jobs back because no company will pay competitive wages. Other than a much smaller number of advanced manufacturing positions that may open where you may need less than a dozen workers on the floor to oversee the machines.

Maybe they'll lobby for the elimination of the federal minimum wage next.

The idea of working on an assembly line earning $50k+ and being able to support a family and get educations for their children will never return under any presidency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom