• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyanity

Banned
CNN talking about ridiculous nature of Trump's desire to shut down media who disagree with him. Where was this coverage over the past few weeks? SMH CNN.

I don't mind that Bernie tweet at all. He's not wrong. There are a lot of Trump supporters that aren't racist or sexist, or at least that's not why they're voting for him.

I know I joke about it a lot, and so do many, but economic anxiety is a pretty big driving force.
Someone really needs to tell them those manufacturing jobs will never come back. And of they do, it will be in the form of advanced manufacturing where a fraction of workers are needed.

Capitalism does not allow for anything else.

I think Hillary is capable of winning OH and IW if the early voting is similar to 2012. It matters about turnout in the and Hillary seems to have the capabilities to turnout more voters than Trump can. I wonder if her strategy of getting less like voters out in Iowa and Ohio to vote is part of strategy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trump's success is driven by racism AND anti-establishment-ism. A lot of people believe in conspiracy theories without even formulating such thoughts. They just have a hunch that everything is run by some elite and that Trump isn't supposed to become president, so they support him.

Congress has been immensely unpopular, and people who usually vote Republican didn't even like the party itself, they just hated the other one. Trump has attacked a lot of people in Washington, especially in the Republican party, more than Democrats.

So to them Trump is a defender of white people and also a wrecking ball against Washington in general. The later is what allows him to get even more support than just his racist-oriented views.

Anecdotally speaking my friends and relatives (India) have experienced a lot more racism in Europe/Australia than USA.

It is probably different for AAs though I assume.

Anecdotally speaking my friends and relatives (India) have experienced a lot more racism in Europe/Australia than USA.

They're thought of as smart, high-earning immigrants.

They don't have a history of 400 years of chattel slavery, Jim Crow, and living segregated, but side-by-side with White Americans, which breeds a contempt only known for people you're close to.

That SNL cold open made me happy.

This race has been about some stupid emails and Donald Trump sexually assaulting people. In a way I wish we could have taken on Ted Cruz to finally defeat his brand of conservatism once for all but instead we got the damn alt right now

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm still kind of disgusted Hillary didn't actually double-down on the "deplorable" remarks.

The campaign could have cut a fantastic ad campaign equating the word "deplorable" with racism, sexism, homophobia, et al. Would have made people had to justify it in their own mind whether or not they actually are in that group, and I really think that would have had a major impact on undecided/independent voters.

Diablos

I'm still kind of disgusted Hillary didn't actually double-down on the "deplorable" remarks.

The campaign could have cut a fantastic ad campaign equating the word "deplorable" with racism, sexism, homophobia, et al. Would have made people had to justify it in their own mind whether or not they actually are in that group, and I really think that would have had a major impact on undecided/independent voters.
Dude, no. It's a thing she said, she was smart for not doubling down on it

Slayven

That SNL cold open made me happy.

This race has been about some stupid emails and Donald Trump sexually assaulting people. In a way I wish we could have taken on Ted Cruz to finally defeat his brand of conservatism once for all but instead we got the damn alt right now

I thought SNL was a rerun this week?

sazzy

This episode of Reliable Sources is going to make A LOT of people really really really uncomfortable.

edit-

Its a MUCH needed conversation though.

Tamanon

Banned
This episode of Reliable Sources is going to make A LOT of people really really really uncomfortable.

It's been pretty good so far, basically 40 minutes thus far of calling out media bias, Trump lies, and how horrible it is to have surrogates on staff.

did you happen to miss the last page or so
The fact is that it only matters what they feel is true, and if they've been privy to nothing but fox news, they'd be vindicated in their beliefs over and over again. They subsist on disinformation and lies, and vote content in the knowledge that what they're doing is the right thing.

Many Trump voters are racist, sexist, and that is magnified by the belief that they have lost out as time goes on.

Feels will always take precedence over reals. That's why the GOP still exists. That's why it's easier to paint everything as bad to get people to the polls than to say everything is good and do the same.

However, the longer that goes on, the easier it is to drive deep into racism. It becomes easier to justify it because "the other" carrier this mess. It becomes easier to get out the vote because "those people."

That's why racism will never die.

But make no mistake, the majority of his voters are not voting because of racism and sexism. They excuse it readily, but it is not their reason for their vote.

This said, I could be taking the reasoning behind Republican voters and appenfing it there.

Blader

Then cite the WP article. CP is a notoriously unreliable source. As for your contention that the Trump train is driven largely by racism that's far too simplistic and doesn't take into account the changing mood among traditionally blue, working class voters as they see their jobs shipped overseas due to globalization. We're talking tens of millions here, they're not all racists. It's a similar phenomenon playing out in Europe where the far right is surging.

Racism has quite a bit to do with the surge of far-right movements in Europe.

Immigrants from india and asia are generally well educated, high earning, and historically not a large part of the population.

Republicans tend to ignore them or (even worse) use them as examples of why the (vastly more numerous) black and latino populations are simply inherently lazy and criminal.

it is absolutely not an apples to apples situation.

JP_

Banned
He gave them a fucking out for supporting a fucking monster.

Shit like this is why I am glad he lost.

"But the other basket -- and I know this because I see friends from all over America here -- I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California -- but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well." -HRC

Then cite the WP article. CP is a notoriously unreliable source. As for your contention that the Trump train is driven largely by racism that's far too simplistic and doesn't take into account the changing mood among traditionally blue, working class voters as they see their jobs shipped overseas due to globalization. We're talking tens of millions here, they're not all racists. It's a similar phenomenon playing out in Europe where the far right is surging.
Those traditionally Democrats switching sides are the racist white ones who were still in the party for some reason. Just like how Europe is racially charged.

Trouble

Banned
Just saw the Katy Perry Roar ad over in the election thread. Really good ad. This is the kind of ad they need to saturate the airwaves with until election day. Don't even mention Trump, just focus on energizing people to get out and vote.

She should never have said it in the first place

Brian Stelter is going in on Trump's war against the media. The funny thing is that the media won't learn the lessons they need to. Trump should have never made it out of the primaries.

"But the other basket -- and I know this because I see friends from all over America here -- I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California -- but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well." -HRC

I think she should have doubled down. A vote for Donald Trump is a tacit approval of his racism and misogyny.

Perhaps thats why I should never seek out a career in politics but I stand by my opinion

Brian and the panel of journos were calling out the role of paid CNN commentators like Donna Brazille, Paul Begala, Corey L, because they all push their own party's agendas rather than have an actual objective discussion.

Jeff Zucker: "fuck off, we're making so much money, live with it".

Zukkoyaki

YouGov's daily estimate has Clinton around 4.6 ahead of Trump using 7,700 interviews. Median projection is 322 electoral votes.

Also to collaborate Trump losing college educated whites (Like in NBC/WSJ), CBS/NYT had Clinton ahead by 7.

I'm thinking this election is going to play out almost exactly the way we think it will.

Dude, no. It's a thing she said, she was smart for not doubling down on it

Yep.

White americans treat racism as binary. If you're not burning crosses on lawns and lynching people, you're not racist! It doesn't matter if grandma drops the N word now and then when talking about the new neighbors, shes a good person so it doesn't count.

therefore, hillary doubling down on the (correct) claim that half of Trump supporters ARE racist, bigoted douchebags would fall on deaf ears.

republicans would flock to paint her as just using the race card to pander to "those people" and the election would end up being derailed yet again.

Hillary was absolutely, positively correct in what she said (and probably lowballed that "half" number) but it's a losing argument.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I can't find it online, but I just saw some hilarious ad by some Right Wing group called Future 45 that had a Hillary look-alike destroying a hard drive with a pick axe...

Diablos

YouGov's daily estimate has Clinton around 4.6 ahead of Trump using 7,700 interviews. Median projection is 322 electoral votes.

Also to collaborate Trump losing college educated whites (Like in NBC/WSJ), CBS/NYT had Clinton ahead by 7.

I'm thinking this election is going to play out almost exactly the way we think it will.
Just need 50-51 seats. Comey and Rudy you are awful.

JP_

Banned
I think she should have doubled down. A vote for Donald Trump is a tacit approval of his racism and misogyny.

Perhaps thats why I should never seek out a career in politics but I stand by my opinion

After watching the Weiner documentary, it turned the idea of me running for office from a mild curiosity into a SUPER NOPE.

Get your Hopium here

4anoBIG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom