• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebloo

YouGov's daily estimate has Clinton around 4.6 ahead of Trump using 7,700 interviews. Median projection is 322 electoral votes.

Also to collaborate Trump losing college educated whites (Like in NBC/WSJ), CBS/NYT had Clinton ahead by 7.

I'm thinking this election is going to play out almost exactly the way we think it will.

Yup.

ipixcMV.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Get your Hopium here

4anoBIG.jpg

And here:

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 16m16 minutes ago

3 GOP pollsters I asked this am - #1: HRC w/304 EVs (losing OH/NC/NH); #2: 322 EVs (winning NC/NH, losing ME-2); #3: 323 EVs (winning ME-2)

Looking at those numbers, it appears to me that all of the GOP pollsters have Hillary winning Florida.

And now some idiot on reliable sources is claiming that the biggest problem the press faced was throwing out their balance to call out Trump. LIke I said expect the press to go even further in our on the both sides narrative.

And here:

Looking at those numbers, it appears to me that all of the GOP pollsters have Hillary winning Florida.

Florida has been obvious since monday.

there's a 1.2+ million vote jump in the anticipated total vote with hispanics at something ludicrious like 150+% over 2012.

Trump isn't surviving that while losing college whites by ten. mathematically impossible.

Maxim726X

there's a 1.2+ million vote jump in the anticipated total vote with hispanics at something ludicrious like 150+% over 2012.

Trump isn't surviving that while losing college whites by ten. mathematically impossible.

Do we have updated EV numbers on FLA?

How likely is this win?

The failing NYTimes ignores them. Sad.

which is what most people should have done a long time ago.

Do we have updated EV numbers on FLA?

How likely is this win?

I misspoke there. Steve Schale had numbers up on the anticipated total vote for 2016 in FL- about 9.5 million given where the early vote is right now. It would be about 1.2 million ahead of 2012.

we don't actually know how all those people are voting- but given demographics of who they are, Schale says she's probably won it as long as D's keep up their GOTV efforts.

Then cite the WP article. CP is a notoriously unreliable source. As for your contention that the Trump train is driven largely by racism that's far too simplistic and doesn't take into account the changing mood among traditionally blue, working class voters as they see their jobs shipped overseas due to globalization. We're talking tens of millions here, they're not all racists. It's a similar phenomenon playing out in Europe where the far right is surging.

Which is driven by xenophobia and racism against muslim refugees.

What's so bad about CNN? There's a handsome man with white hair and blue eyes who always catches my eye

They always have on Trump supporters that have admitted there isn't anything that he could do to stop them from supporting him. They are loud and add nothing to the conversation. People like Keileigh Mcsomething, Jeffrey Lord, Lewandowski, and more. Basically all they do on CNN is just deflect back to Clinton any time they are called out for saying bullshit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not insane enough to go OMG FLORIDA OVER but it's hard to see how she doesn't at least make it VERY competitive given the Hispanic spike. Also, since the pollsters seem to have sucked ass at getting Hispanics sampled properly in other states, I have a little confidence.

The YouGUVVVVVV poll this morning upset me a little because it said there's not many votes for her left to turnout. Which is in direct opposition to what Steve Schale has been saying.

I don't see how he could possibly win by losing

- African Americans
- Hispanics
- Educated Whites
- Women

With AA turnout the same as 2012, Hispanic up and women up.

There aren't enough uneducated white men to fill in the gaps.

I'm not insane enough to go OMG FLORIDA OVER but it's hard to see how she doesn't at least make it VERY competitive given the Hispanic spike. Also, since the pollsters seem to have sucked ass at getting Hispanics sampled properly in other states, I have a little confidence.

The YouGUVVVVVV poll this morning upset me a little because it said there's not many votes for her left to turnout. Which is in direct opposition to what Steve Schale has been saying.

I think Republicans do better on E-day in Florida. But yea, early voting looks very good for HRC. If the Miami-Dade + Broward different is 500k+ then it's in the bag.

Kusagari

So I looked at some 2012 FL Romney/Obama polls. They all had Romney killing Obama in Independents, just like we're seeing this year in polls.

Obama won Independents in FL.

Only backs up my faith that Hillary is going to win FL easier than Obama.

I don't see how he could possibly win by losing

- African Americans
- Hispanics
- Educated Whites
- Women

With AA turnout the same as 2012, Hispanic up and women up.

There aren't enough uneducated white men to fill in the gaps.

AA turnout isn't the same. it's up over 2012.

The only state where AA turnout hasn't increased over 2012 is NC.

Zackat

I can't find it online, but I just saw some hilarious ad by some Right Wing group called Future 45 that had a Hillary look-alike destroying a hard drive with a pick axe...
This has been on in Florida for a few days. That pac makes the dumbest commercials.

HylianTom

Banned
Johnny Isakson, David Perdue reject long-term Supreme Court stonewall

Isakson:
“The most important responsibility the United States Senate has is the confirmation process. It’s the accountability process for the American people. We have one opening now for the Supreme Court and probably may have two more before the first term of this new president is over.

You don’t shirk your responsibility when you’re an elected official. You sanctify your responsibility, and that’s what I’ll do. I’ll consider who she nominates at the time she does and make a decision that’s right for the people of Georgia.

… I consider everything that’s before me to make a decision on and I’ll always try and make a decision in the right way, which is get all the information. If you don’t even hear what somebody’s got to say you don’t have all the information.”

And Perdue, via his spokesperson:
“Senator Perdue has said all along he believes no Supreme Court nominee should be considered before the next president is sworn into office. As a member of the Judiciary Committee, he wants to ensure we have a Supreme Court Justice who will uphold the Constitution, and he will examine each nominee independently based on their merits.”

Interesting.

(beaten, but I'll leave the excepts up.)

Boke1879

Just saw the Katy Perry Roar ad over in the election thread. Really good ad. This is the kind of ad they need to saturate the airwaves with until election day. Don't even mention Trump, just focus on energizing people to get out and vote.

Got a link?

I wonder if Andrea MITCHELL sees the irony of talking about SNL when they were making fun of reporters like her who only talk about emails all day.

Hopefully Clinton wins Florida big enough and they are voting D down ticket so Rubio loses his senate seat.

This is where I've been for months now.

Rubio won in 2010 with 49% of the vote, and 55% of the hispanic vote in a republican wave year vs. a democrat and an independent splitting the D vote.

He has a 30% approval rate in 2016, and the increase in the hispanic vote is driven by puerto rican immigrants hostile to the republican party by 80% margins or greater.

There is absolutely no plausible scenario where he survives this kind of wave election.

I tend to be really chickenshit on things, but NC and FL are heavy Hillary leans at this point. From what we know about the NPA voters in both states, I just cannot see a path for Trump. The decreased AA turnout in NC was foreseen, and the insane NPA/Hispanic turnout in FL is just....I don't see how he can come back from that.

Now, Ohio, is going to come down to the wire. it will be FL 2012 all over again. The one thing I will say, though, is that Trump has essentially nothing here in terms of ground game. Neither Portman nor Kasich worked with the Ohio GOP machine for Trump, and the Trump campaign was LITERALLY fighting with the state party. He has no offices in Cuyahoga County (or at least he didn't) And while he will not win the county, it will still be responsible for a huge number of raw votes.

Anecdotal evidence: My fiance and I took donuts and juice and stuff to the Hillary office for GOTV. There were like 50 people there, and that is not something that happens in my area. It just doesn't. The GOP office wasn't open. Maybe they're going to open later or something, but I live in a red area. They should be getting people to knock on doors. The people at another Hillary office called to see if they needed more volunteers because they had too many too.

Again, anecdotes are anecdotal. I still feel Trump is the slight favorite in Ohio, but neither side is getting a blowout win here.

Obama should pull his selection of Garland after the election. Fuck the republicans.

They have to make sure Hispanics now turnout Tuesday too for this. Big Hispanic + Black turnout Tuesday would give Murhpy the best shot.

This is where I've been for months now.

Rubio won in 2010 with 49% of the vote, and 55% of the hispanic vote in a republican wave year vs. a democrat and an independent splitting the D vote.

He has a 30% approval rate in 2016, and the increase in the hispanic vote is driven by puerto rican immigrants hostile to the republican party by 80% margins or greater.

There is absolutely no plausible scenario where he survives this kind of wave election.

I hope so. Hillary needs a democratic senate.

KMS

"Is Trump going to win Minnesota?"

"Uh..no?"

Pretty sure Trump didn't realize the poll he won there was a high school straw poll. Hilarious if he wasted time and resources because he was too stupid to look past the results to see it wasn't a real poll.

Crayons

Banned
They always have on Trump supporters that have admitted there isn't anything that he could do to stop them from supporting him. They are loud and add nothing to the conversation. People like Keileigh Mcsomething, Jeffrey Lord, Lewandowski, and more. Basically all they do on CNN is just deflect back to Clinton any time they are called out for saying bullshit.

so basically all trump supporters?

Pretty sure Trump didn't realize the poll he won there was a high school straw poll. Hilarious if he wasted time and resources because he was too stupid to look past the results to see it wasn't a real poll.

Obviously his staff knew, which makes me wonder how much control they have over him.

Ophelion

I think she should have doubled down. A vote for Donald Trump is a tacit approval of his racism and misogyny.

Perhaps thats why I should never seek out a career in politics but I stand by my opinion

It all depends on what result you want to see in the country going forward. One of the most important things I've learned as I've gotten older is that in inter-personal conflicts of any type, who is right and who is wrong is not as important (at least up front) as everyone feeling like they are being listened to. Everyone just wants to be treated like their opinion and desires matter. Everyone does this.

Now, it may, in fact, be true that their opinions and desires are stupid-ass opinions and desires, but we do have to be willing to cut people some slack. You can't actually batter people down with ideas in order to change hearts and minds. You have to first start from a position of respect, even if unearned, and establish that you can speak to that person's worldview on some level. Then and only then can you shift how they view a situation.

This was something Bill Clinton was a master of back in the day. I mean, he still is, but it's harder for his message to break through when a lot of the targeted audience has been conditioned to think he's the devil.

Anyway, the point is just branding Americans with a racist brand and hissing at them for doing something that (for very stupid and dubious reasons) a great many of them genuinely believe is the only thing they can do to maybe change their situation is not going to help anything. The only thing that will keep us from having to do this dance again every four years for the rest of our miserable lives is being compassionate. Maybe more compassionate than some of these people deserve, but if your only options are too compassionate or not compassionate enough, I know which I'd choose. "When they go low, we go high" isn't always easy or comfortable. It doesn't always make you feel good. But it is essential.

KMS

Obviously his staff knew, which makes me wonder how much control they have over him.

Considering Kellyanne has to go on CNN to speak to him instead of in person speaks volumes. The idea of a President who doesn't have anyone around him who won't correct him or play devils advocate is frightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom