• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayB1920

The shy trump voter has been a theory since the primaries and there is literally nothing to support it.

Like, people have tried to actually prove it and they found nothing.

There was no proof of a shy trump voter in the primaries and there is no proof in EV.

Yeah I realize its unfounded but I'm nervous either way lol. It is encouraging to see Latinos coming out for in such high numbers.

bachikarn

The shy trump voter has been a theory since the primaries and there is literally nothing to support it.

Like, people have tried to actually prove it and they found nothing.

There was no proof of a shy trump voter in the primaries and there is no proof in EV.

If anything I bet it is the opposite with spouses of Trump supporters not wanting to make it known they aren't going to vote for him.

GA GAF what say you guys on the fireworks tax? Should be a yes by looking at it but the NAACP came out against it, calling it a "tax on the poor."
It's not? IIRC, the taxes are already being collected on fireworks sales (passed in 2015). This amendment just allocates where some of it goes.

Bowdz

We'd still get nothing? I disagree entirely. To think that is to not be paying attention to what's actually at stake here.

The message sent by withdrawing Garland and nominating a more liberal judge who gets confirmed by a Democratic Senate: Liberals are happy, Republicans learn the cost of not doing their jobs.

The message sent by cleaning house at the FBI: You're a non-partisan body. Forget that and it's your ass.

Like, sorry, I'm seeing no downside here. Better to push for the things we want before we get destroyed in following elections, then not push, not get want we want...and still get destroyed in following elections.

Agreed.

I think some of the broad lessons that can be learned from the past few years are that: a) people have short attention spans and memories and b) people don't care about process but they do care about results. We need to stop worrying about "optics" and worry about getting shit done and winning. Everyone outside of the hardcore politcos will forget about Obama pulling Garland and Hillary appointing a liberal firebrand (or a younger moderate).

We need to stop hand wringing and start putting points on the board.

shiba5

LOL, I'm getting ads for "Ferrari of Washington". I guess it picked up my post about not being able to relate to Melania and decided to help me fix that. Brb, selling off my house...

It's not? IIRC, the taxes are already being collected on fireworks sales (passed in 2015). This amendment just allocates where some of it goes.

Yeah read it wrong. Allocates taxes collected to trauma care, fire prevention and public safety... NAACP said these are things that should be allocated from budget not by a tax on the poor.

So still not sure

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Frank LuntzVerified account
‏@FrankLuntz
Florida early vote

DEM: 39.6%
• 974,163 mail-in
• 1,461,536 in-person

GOP: 39.1%
• 1,043,610 ✉️
• 1,359,561 🚶🏽

https://t.co/wCxNQjpq5C

He completely ignores the over 400,000 NPA votes.

Revolver

Ok, let's say, for the sake of argument, that he is a "shill". All he did was silently hold up an anti-Trump sign. Then the deplorables proceeded to beat the shit out of him and yell "gun". So how the fuck does this make him the bad guy?!
These people are insane.

I would give anything for someone in the media to tell a surrogate that just because someone holds up an anti-Trump sign, shill or not, doesn't mean the crowd has the right to kick the crap out of them. The pussyfooting around these "economically stressed" morons is ridiculous.

shiba5

I would give anything for someone in the media to tell a surrogate that just because someone holds up an anti-Trump sign, shill or not, doesn't mean the crowd has the right to kick the crap out of them. The pussyfooting around these "economically stressed" morons is ridiculous.

If only the media had done their job and pushed back against clear fascism. But here we are. =/

Ohio does. It confuses me that every state that has early voting (which all states should) don't just continue up until Election Day rather than end prematurely.

It makes sense to give your volunteers and paid staff a break to setup for a day when 1/3-1/2 of the entire electorate will all show up to vote in less than a 12hr span.

royalan

Withdrawing Garland wouldn't hurt, but clearing house at the FBI? Are you insane? Not only would the resulting public outcry immediately force the Clinton administration to abandon it, but we'd be massacred in 2018 (even more than we already will be) and 2020 would dramatically increase in difficulty.

Let's explore this.

We now have an FBI that's headed by a man more concerned with his image and ego than the integrity of the department he leads. We have the FBI breaking precedent in a way that was universally condemned to interfere with an election in order to help one party. We have a congress that is pledging to impeach and investigate Clinton before she even takes office, and there's a cell within the FBI leaking information to Republicans to help them accomplish just that. And this isn't just your standard liberal whining. REPUBLICANS are furious about this. Establishment Republicans, despite being helped by what the FBI is doing, are calling this out. Think about that.

The FBI has become a partisan body. An attack tool to help the Republicans (and by extension, if we really want to get apocalyptic here, help RUSSIA). The integrity the FBI needs to properly function has been compromised in a way that we have literally never seen in modern politics and goverment. Doing something about that is not only the politically advantageous thing for Hillary to do (because lord knows they're not going to stop when she's elected), it's very truly the right thing to do.

And the only reason you have to offer for why Clinton should do nothing about this...is how bad you think it would look?

Man, this country is fucked.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah read it wrong. Allocates taxes collected to trauma care, fire prevention and public safety... NAACP said these are things that should be allocated from budget not by a tax on the poor.

So still not sure

Depending on the allocation percentages, that's exactly what that kind of tax should go towards.

The issue is more murky when it comes to taxes on junk food, as you need food to survive. But you don't need fireworks to survive.

Crayons

Banned
14937280_1135898236506540_6424163266110543660_n.jpg

Grexeno

Let's explore this.

We now have an FBI that's headed by a man more concerned with his image and ego than the integrity of the department he leads. We have the FBI breaking precedent in a way that was universally condemned to interfere with an election in order to help one party. We have a congress that is pledging to impeach and investigate Clinton before she even takes office, and there's a cell within the FBI leaking information to Republicans to help them accomplish just that. And this isn't just your standard liberal whining. REPUBLICANS are furious about this. Establishment Republicans, despite being helped by what the FBI is doing, are calling this out. Think about that.

The FBI has become a partisan body. An attack tool to help the Republicans (and by extension, if we really want to get apocalyptic here, help RUSSIA). The integrity needs to properly function has been compromised in a way that we have literally never seen in modern politics and goverment. Doing something about that is not only the politically advantageous thing for Hillary to do (because lord knows they're not going to stop when she's elected), it's very truly the right thing to do.

And the only reason you have to offer for Clinton should do nothing about this...is how bad you think it would look?

You bet it would look bad. REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD

Let's explore this.

The FBI has become a partisan body. An attack tool to help the Republicans (and by extension, if we really want to get apocalyptic here, help RUSSIA). The integrity the FBI needs to properly function has been compromised in a way that we have literally never seen in modern politics and goverment. Doing something about that is not only the politically advantageous thing for Hillary to do (because lord knows they're not going to stop when she's elected), it's very truly the right thing to do.

And the only reason you have to offer for Clinton should do nothing about this...is how bad you think it would look?

You'd validate every right wing conspiracy that Democrats are dictators by doing something this extreme.

Cleaning up the FBI needs to be handled a lot more carefully than that

Diablos

You bet it would look bad. REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD
I disagree. Comey is going to have tons of pressure put upon him to step down. You can't totally gut the FBI but Clinton and co. can turn up the heat on him. If she wins I'm thinking he resigns within 6-12 months. Maybe less.

Basically you can clean up the FBI with soft power, not by being a barbarian.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think Comey steps down but I am pretty sure Clinton is going to instruct him to clean out the problem.

Grexeno

I disagree. Comey is going to have tons of pressure put upon him to step down. You can't totally gutbthe FBI but Clinton and co. can turn up the heat on him. If she wins I'm thinking he resigns within 6-12 months. Maybe less.
If Clinton wins Republicans will make Comey a martyr immediately.

Boke1879

You'd validate every right wing conspiracy that Democrats are dictators by doing something this extreme.

Who cares? They say that bullshit anyway and the FBI needs to be cleaned up regardless. It needs to be done. Fuck doing it carefully.

I'm tired of dems tip toeing around shit. If we take the senate we got 2 years to get shit done. Might as well do it before we lose in the midterms anyway.

royalan

Democrats are dictators regardless of what they do. It's fucking laughable at this point, based on what we've seen the last 8 years, that Democrats still think they can change the Republican narrative.

Democrats are going to get shit on no matter what. So they might as well do the right thing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Yeah, I like the idea of putting Weld in charge of the FBI and focusing on cleanup.
Actually, now that I think about it, Garland would probably be a good choice too.

Grexeno

Democrats are dictators regardless of what they do. It's fucking laughable at this point, based on what we've seen the last 8 years, that Democrats still think they can change the Republican narrative.

Democrats are going to get shit on no matter what. So they might as well do the right thing.
If this was true then we wouldn't have won in 2012 and we wouldn't be winning this year. We continue to win because we don't overplay and inevitably get punished for it.

If this was true then we wouldn't have won in 2012 and we wouldn't be winning this year. We continue to win because we don't overplay and inevitably get punished for it.
We get punished routinely by Congress. GOP can hedge a lot of bets by maintaining both the Senate and House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom