• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there is nothing to this. There has been nothing to any of Hillary's various email scandals.

A quote for the ages here.
You dont think Chaffetz knows its a nothingburger, and he intentionally spun it as "CASE REOPENED" story that media ran away with? Give him credit. Hes not a dunderhead like other teaparty nincompoops.

Cv4uoJbXgAA0Hlt.jpg

tuffy

A plane just caught fire at Chicago's O'Hare airport and there's video. No reports of anybody hurt, but the video is scary.

No talk of an attack or anything.
One report says seven passengers and a flight attendant were hurt and taken to a hospital for evaluation. Since the emails thing turned out to be a nothingburger, the plane fire was the lead story on the local news.

Wallach

So does liberalGAF really believe there is nothing to this and that this is some vast right wing conspiracy by James Comey?

Really?

If he was going to do that he wouldn't do it on a news dump Friday and he would have done it before early voting began. This is a giant echo chamber but I will admit this is entertaining although I still don't want Trump to win.

I'm not sure how it is a vast conspiracy to think that Comey is incompetent.

As far as there being nothing to this, I don't think there is in terms of actual information. I am not surprised at all that an inquiry into Oscar Meyer led to acquiring a device where Huma sent or received e-mails that would fall under relevance to the Clinton inquiry. Just like tens of thousands of other e-mails were relevant to that inquiry that didn't show jack shit. They didn't even care enough about this link that they tried to get access to this during the Clinton inquiry research. What the fuck do you think they find that they wouldn't have found on Clinton's own servers? The answer is either shit they already knew or nothing.

A plane just caught fire at Chicago's O'Hare airport and there's video. No reports of anybody hurt, but the video is scary.

No talk of an attack or anything.
Just couple of months ago Etihad Airplane caught on fire in Dubai the exact same way as AA did today. It happens in aviation it seems.

Whats remarkable is in Etihad's case, the crew were able to deplane 200 or so people in 2 minutes, just before the flames engulfed the whole thing.

You'd think Comey would be slightly more careful when releasing something about his future boss. I know whenever I have to make a critique of my boss, I phrase it in such a way that it won't lead to my immediate firing. That's just common sense.

Joeytj

Banned
Obama's about to take the stage at a rally in Florida. Think he'll say something about the news?

LOL, of course not.

Caja 117

Whatever it is, media already have it out as a Cllinton thing, my wife just told me that they are reopening the Clinton Email investigation.

Im to the point where Im convinced all these email things and the Podesta emails will continue to chip away Clinton numbers for a Trump presidency, this sucks.

royalan

No, he's just incompetent and probably a bit partisan, but I don't think it's some conspiracy.

A Republican definitely was the one that alerted the media to Comey's vague letter. You can tell most of the media didn't even read the letter before sending out their alerts and headlines.

Comey spent 15 minutes publicly chastising Hillary Clinton before announcing that she had done nothing illegal and the FBI weren't recommending an indictment. That was unprecedented, and he did it without informing anyone of his intentions ahead of time.

Then he goes and writes an incredibly vague letter that looks damning to Clinton, though having nothing to do with her, and releases it to a Republican Congress RIGHT as they're scrambling for ANYTHING to prevent a down-ticket catastrophe.

I'm sorry, but the bigger reach here is to argue that he's NOT playing politics.

Chumley

Banned
Comey spent 15 minutes publicly chastising Hillary Clinton before announcing that she had done nothing illegal and the FBI weren't recommending an indictment. That was unprecedented, and he did it without informing anyone of his intentions ahead of time.

Then he goes and writes an incredibly vague letter that looks damning to Clinton, though having nothing to do with her, and releases it to a Republican Congress RIGHT as they're scrambling for ANYTHING to prevent a down-ticket catastrophe.

I'm sorry, but the bigger reach here is to argue that he's NOT playing politics.

preach

smurfx

get some go again

pretty much which is why i'm fine with democrats dragging his name through the mud. he's absolutely playing politics and they have to call him out on it.

Boke1879

Whatever it is, media already have it out as a Cllinton thing, my wife just told me that they are reopening the Clinton Email investigation.

Im to the point where Im convinced all these email things and the Podesta emails will continue to chip away Clinton numbers for a Trump presidency, this sucks.

You really think the Podesta emails have shifted the race at all? It hasn't and quite frankly this won't either.

Amir0x

Banned

Trump wont win, that door is closed. Comeys partisan wink wink nudge nudge will simply lower the margin by a point or two. In essence, the long long long shot at the House we can declare effectively over now. Maybe reduce our Senate win by seat or two.

Hillary will win, but we have good reason to be furious with the self-evidently partisan timing of this. We needed margins for the type of gains that would make Hill's first two years of legislation legendary. This is likely definitively putting an end to that already long shot dream.

Barzul

I want his career to be toast

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So after the first couple hours of diablosing, I think this will settle back into being little more than a blip.

avaya

This is why you should never appoint a Republican to any position within higher levels of government. They are too far gone. This such a clearly partisian move by the FBI.

Debirudog

Said it damn straight.

Amir0x

Banned
Yup i hope we eviscerate his career after this to the degree he has to work at Arby's to make ends meet. Republicans are literally the worst at everything. Anti-intellectual con artist scum.

Iolo

No one's calling it a vast right wing conspiracy, just a vague and misleading letter that set imaginations on fire -- either intentionally so (which would be inappropriately partisan) or unintentionally (which would be rather careless of him).

might you call it "extremely careless"

No its not. He could have indicted her. He could have done a press conference about this. He could be doing a lot more.

He's trying to save the FBI from both sides. An impossible task.

You're arguments that he's some political anti-hillary operative completely ignores the pressure from the right. And who he's trying to please there. No matter how insane you think there chargers are Comey doesn't like that these become solidified and the FBI becomes only a partisan tool.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem there is that he couldn't recommend an indictment that's legally non-feasible.

There's almost no way that anything on Anthony Weiner's phone could possibly something that could be converted into an indictment of Hillary, so I don't even know why its being connected to that investigation.

Chumley

Banned
No its not. He could have indicted her. He could have done a press conference about this. He could be doing a lot more.

He could never have indicted her, and arguing a blatantly partisan fuck isn't being MORE partisan is a reason why he isn't... makes no sense. He is not playing both sides, he's doing everything within his power to give an inch to Republicans without outright fucking his career over. Though I think now he may have legitimately fucked his career over.

Iolo

wait, explain how firing someone equals putting them in jail

I don't think Comey should be fired, but that's one heck of a false equivalence there

Joeytj

Banned
The problem there is that he couldn't recommend an indictment that's legally non-feasible.

There's almost no way that anything on Anthony Weiner's phone could possibly something that could be converted into an indictment of Hillary, so I don't even know why its being connected to that investigation.

Yeah, tell that to the media, who jumped on the "this is bad for Hillary!" train immediately without reading the letter.

Updates about this are starting to slow down. What are more reporters saying? Besides that they come from the Weiner case?

Boke1879

The thing is. There seems to be no emails about Hillary and none came from her server. It's just something that's tied to this whole thing.

Again when you have even the most ardent people critical of Hillary even now claiming Comey should have been a bit more open and that this is odd to do 11 days out from an election.

Kusagari

Comey is playing partisan politics the old fashioned way but his party has left him behind and are too stupid to take his life lines.

Because they are likely additional copies or emails about the server/investigation. He swore under oath that the investigation was completed. He's now investigating more, so that previous testimony is not accurate.

Its as simple as that. He gets blasted now for interference by the left but if he withheld it then republicans wouldn't trust the FBI at all during the Clinton years for affecting the election.

He can't win. I agree him coming out and saying more is the best solution. But then he's commenting on an investigation which gets him attacked.

The blame should be completely on the whole pick up of the investigation which was egged on by the right.

Barzul

LOCK HIM UP!

I hope you guys didn't say anything about Trumps "jailing of political opponents"

deal with decisions you don't like.

Who said anything about him being arrested, it's not that deep. I just think he's not very good at his job and should face consequences. I think this whole ordeal could've been handled better, if you agree with that, why is it then a leap that I think (you might not agree) that he should have to face steep fallout?

Iolo

On the one hand, we have a presidential candidate calling for the jailing of his opponent, his accusers, and the media

On the other hand, we have some schmoes on a gaming message board calling for a guy to be fired

page CNN, both sides do it

He could never have indicted her, and arguing a blatantly partisan fuck isn't being MORE partisan is a reason why he isn't... makes no sense. He is not playing both sides, he's doing everything within his power to give an inch to Republicans without outright fucking his career over. Though I think now he may have legitimately fucked his career over.

With a nothingburger of a story, not indicting the nominee?

On the one hand, we have a presidential candidate calling for the jailing of his opponent, his accusers, and the media

On the other hand, we have some schmoes on a gaming message board calling for a guy to be fired

page CNN, both sides do it

Jesus, you guys are daft. Yes trump is worse. But stop the shitty thought processes now before we demand our politicians not to work with anyone who isn't on our side, because that's exactly how the GOP gets Trump, and unelectable disaster. And that's literally what we're demanding now.

Comey isn't going to prevent a clinton presidency.

The GOP is worse. Lets not get closer to them

royalan

He's trying to save the FBI from both sides. An impossible task.

You're arguments that he's some political anti-hillary operative completely ignores the pressure from the right. And who he's trying to please there. No matter how insane you think there chargers are Comey doesn't like that these become solidified and the FBI becomes only a partisan tool.

LOL - what?

Comey couldn't have indicated her. I mean, well, he could have, but by his own admission Hillary wasn't doing anything illegal and nobody with a brain would have found a case there. As bad as the fallout is now, it would have been even WORSE if he indicted her over literally nothing, and that would have come out in a trial.

Also, why would he hold a press conference over this? Hillary has nothing to do with this. A press conference would only highlight that. There's a REASON why he did this through a vague letter.

Your argument basically boils down to, "Comey isn't paying politics because, even though he's being a moron, he's not being a COMPLETE fucking moron."

jbug617

Banned
CBS Evening News:

October Surprise and then cuts to a footage of Trump talking about this.

The headline is investigation reopened

Boke1879

With a nothingburger of a story, not indicting the nominee?

I'm with you that this is nothing of a story. But if the actual details didn't come out fast it definitely would have seemed like he was being partisan. I mean even harsh critics of Hillary came out and questioned the timing and the vagueness of the letter.

Of course the GOP jumped at this and muddled the story. But Comey should have been a bit more direct about what this was regarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom