• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianos

To quote Bernie Sanders, I'm pretty sure everyone is sick of those damn emails.

Who exactly is going to be swayed by the media's "there's a few more emails we found! They aren't classified, but optics!!" narrative anyways?

LOCK HIM UP!

I hope you guys didn't say anything about Trumps "jailing of political opponents"

deal with decisions you don't like.
Can you really not respond to opinions that you don't like without equating them to the most extreme stuff from the right? Every single time you complain about something coming from the left you do this. You're like Rubio in the NH debate right now.

Debirudog

I'm not really worried at the end of the day, but it's just so frustrating this is even a thing at all because of Comey refusing to even clarify what he said. That smells partisan as shit.

Who said anything about him being arrested, it's not that deep. I just think he's not very good at his job and should face consequences. I think this whole ordeal could've been handled better, if you agree with that, why is it then a leap that I think (you might not agree) that he should have to face steep fallout?

Because he's hurting your partisan aims. Besides this case which is really unprecedented and next to impossibly to navigate without seeming partisan. You're asking for what bush did with the US attorneys.

They need independence. The media is far more to blame than comey even if it wasn't a mystery how they were going to react. But lets be honest there was going to be a tightening story anyways!

Can you really not respond to opinions that you don't like without equating them to the most extreme stuff from the right? Every single time you complain about something coming from the left you do this. You're like Rubio in the NH debate right now.

Maybe its because you guys keep doing it? I'm not comparing you to trump. I'm comparing you to the Cruz's of the world

I'm worried about partisanship and the left adopting the worst of the right, because those aren't conservative tacits they used, its radical obstructionists and when you take them up then we're truely screwed.

I'm with you that this is nothing of a story. But if the actual details didn't come out fast it definitely would have seemed like he was being partisan. I mean even harsh critics of Hillary came out and questioned the timing and the vagueness of the letter.

Of course the GOP jumped at this and muddled the story. But Comey should have been a bit more direct about what this was regarding.

Then the GOP screams cover-up. Now we have independent sources taking pressure off him. And remember he's first and foremost a insitutionalist not a partisian.

Again I wish he would have done things different but this story has got the liberals with pitchforks. I think that's a mistake.

I'm with you that this is nothing of a story. But if the actual details didn't come out fast it definitely would have seemed like he was being partisan. I mean even harsh critics of Hillary came out and questioned the timing and the vagueness of the letter.

Of course the GOP jumped at this and muddled the story. But Comey should have been a bit more direct about what this was regarding.

Hell, even Erick Erickson of all people was calling it partisan this evening on his radio show.

Crocodile

Because they are likely additional copies or emails about the server/investigation. He swore under oath that the investigation was completed. He's now investigating more, so that previous testimony is not accurate.

Its as simple as that. He gets blasted now for interference by the left but if he withheld it then republicans wouldn't trust the FBI at all during the Clinton years for affecting the election.

He can't win. I agree him coming out and saying more is the best solution. But then he's commenting on an investigation which gets him attacked.

The blame should be completely on the whole pick up of the investigation which was egged on by the right.

Who is arguing Comey should have hid or sat on information he was obligated to share? People just wish he didn't share it in such a deliberately obtuse and vague manner as to create a controversy where there doesn't seem to be any. That's either incompetence, malice or putting self-interest over due process. None of those are a good look.

Your "both sides are the same" bit seems silly and misplaced?

IF they do, at this point they'd want it to be the last thing the media focuses on before the election, so late next week.

IF. I don't think there's anything else though.

Let the last wafts of today's fart clear out on Monday, then DROP THE OPPO on Tuesday, filling the news cycle for the rest of the week.

Jesus, you guys are daft. Yes trump is worse. But stop the shitty thought processes now before we demand our politicians not to work with anyone who isn't on our side, because that's exactly how the GOP gets Trump, and unelectable disaster. And that's literally what we're demanding now.

Comey isn't going to prevent a clinton presidency.

The GOP is worse. Lets not get closer to them.

This concern trolling doesn't have any basis in logical thought.

Making the argument that Comey failed to do his job in a way that didn't affect a national election, so he should lose his job is NOTHING like a call for jailing political opponents. I'd love to see you make a cogent argument without resorting to fallacious reasoning, but sometimes it seems more important for you to launch into lecturing other liberals than it is for you to dissent with someone reasonably.

Barzul

Because he's hurting your partisan aims. Besides this case which is really unprecedented and next to impossibly to navigate without seeming partisan. You're asking for what bush did with the US attorneys.

They need independence. The media is far more to blame than comey even if it wasn't a mystery how they were going to react. But lets be honest there was going to be a tightening story anyways!

Ok let me just ask you directly. Given the letter he wrote and the information that has now leaked from the FBI that Comey heads with information he has access to. Do you believe that he wrote and framed that letter in the best and non partisan manner that he reasonably could? I'm not saying that he possibly could that would indicate he's capable of perfection...he clearly isn't.

Breads

Banned
So does liberalGAF really believe there is nothing to this and that this is some vast right wing conspiracy by James Comey?

Really?

wut

It was an announcement of suspicion of evidence of.... [ nothing ]

Literally nothing. There aren't any details or anything concrete in the statements regarding... the thing that people say is a thing but have a hard time saying what kind of thing it actually is. What do you want us to do with that? Unless you know something we don't. Which you don't.

With that out the way, by posting in this thread you just became part of liberalGAF. Take your "I voted for Hillary" and "droppo the oppo" bumper stickers on your way out.

Maybe its because you guys keep doing it? I'm not comparing you to trump. I'm comparing you to the Cruz's of the world

I'm worried about partisanship and the left adopting the worst of the right, because those aren't conservative tacits they used, its radical obstructionists

You're making terrible comparisons like you always do and all it does it undermine your actual arguments. Stick to your points and let go of the false equivalences and paranoia about the left becoming the Tea Party/Trump/Sith. (I'm not even sure who "you guys" is suppose to be here.)

Boke1879

To be fair though. Yall don't know what this story will do to her numbers or how long it'll even play out. I mean it's going to be hard for the media to drag this out with very little to actually report on.

Sure it'll be talked about, but the whole email saga has been on display this entire election. From the primaries until now. Of course we could have done without this but again. When even the harshest of Hillary critics questions this that says something.

Amir0x

Banned
LOCK HIM UP!

I hope you guys didn't say anything about Trumps "jailing of political opponents"

deal with decisions you don't like.

You can move right the fuck on with your typical hypocrite tripe finger wagging. You can aim that trash at someone who is actually dumb. Maybe theyd fall for that reductionist nonsense.

Saying he should lose his fucking job for being a partisan incompetent hack is not equivalent to banana republic throwing political opponents in jail. He is doing a horrific job, and there is no necessity an agency or a president has to let a moron continue doing shit at his job.

Same with gerrymandering, your other favorite hypocrite screed. Failing a court judgement, Democrats absolutely should gerrymander in retaliation if the opportunity arises.

This way we can kill the gridlock and get laws passed preventing such things from happening in the future. I cant count the dozens of times a party has utilized similar negative tactics only to use their victory to end such practices in the future.

In short, this is politics. Use the nuclear weapons you have against the obstructionist party, then once you win end the ability for either side to do it.

You can stay losing on the mystical high horse if it makes you feel better.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ok let me just ask you directly. Given the letter he wrote and the information that has now leaked from the FBI that Comey heads with information he has access to. Do you believe that he wrote and framed that letter in the best and non partisan manner that he reasonably could? I'm not saying that he possibly could that would indicate he's capable of perfection...he clearly isn't.

CBS Evening News fucking called it a "October Surprise" Comney got exactly what he wanted out of this. Fucker.

Everyone should just ignore Metsfan if he's going to keep ignoring posts about that awful false equivalence. Until then, it's not a good faith discussion.

Iolo

I mean releasing this before the third debate is one thing, because the subject has a national platform on which to respond. But releasing it now with 11 days left creates a national story with no opportunity to respond to the people on a national level. This means, if you are going to inject yourself into an election with little time left, you had better make damn sure you are very careful and open with your words. And Comey was vague and details had to leak out. He knew what he was doing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So from a strategy perspective, what should the Clinton campaign do? Do you get out in front of it? Ignore it?

Wow. This anti-Comey hate in here is out of control. Nycmetsfan is right on the money, here. I think poligaf is just really sensitive about their candidate.

I think this is completely unanswerable I think we'd see the same reactions no matter how he wrote it. I believe comey thinks he did and had no partisan intentions.

The GOP is gonna latch on to everything they can. Look at them and wikileaks. I think he really clearly tried to keep clinton out of it. While being truthful to the committee which while we don't like it, is his responsibility.

The vagueness of the letter being bad is not a negative to me. Because there's not factually correct way to say there's nothing here. And the vaguess alows for the times story about the Huma/Weiner story to leak.

So from a strategy perspective, what should the Clinton campaign do? Do you get out in front of it? Ignore it?

I think they did it well. Demand comey be transparent. You've got nothing to hide

Boke1879

Their campaign already released a statement. Aside from that what can she do? she can only say so much. The emails weren't from her server, weren't from her etc.

This concern trolling doesn't have any basis in logical thought.

Making the argument that Comey failed to do his job in a way that didn't affect a national election, so he should lose his job is NOTHING like a call for jailing political opponents. I'd love to see you make a cogent argument without resorting to fallacious reasoning, but sometimes it seems more important for you to launch into lecturing other liberals than it is for you to dissent with someone reasonably.

What did Comey do here that was egregious? He sent a legally required letter to Congress. Chaffetz the lied to the media about the contents of that letter and the media completely and unquestioningly bought that lie.

If we are handing out blame, I think Comey is pretty far down that list.

Sibylus

Banned
Unless something more comes out from this wrt motives, I'm with metsfan on this one. Comey is in a no-win situation here: if he shelves it until after the election he'll be crucified by the GOP, if he doesn't he'll be crucified by Dems. Was the letter a hedge against the former?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Their campaign already released a statement. Aside from that what can she do? she can only say so much. The emails weren't from her server, weren't from her etc.

Well, should could address it at a rally, in a speech, at a press conference, etc. What is the best strategy?

I think she should probably call for full transparency, ask for all the emails to be released, and say that's that.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I hate the possibility this is going to hurt her despite it being nothing because the media wants to push the horse race so badly for ratings. Cable television isn't bad because it's biased, it's bad because it's often sensational and lacks substance.

If all this does is reassure people who already think she's corrupt that were never going to vote for her I'd call that a win.

You snuggle up to Comey and say you will help him as much as possible and say that you want as much info from him as fast as possible. You point out that Chaffetz fucking lied and the media took it hook line and sinker.

royalan

To be fair though. Yall don't know what this story will do to her numbers or how long it'll even play out. I mean it's going to be hard for the media to drag this out with very little to actually report on.

Sure it'll be talked about, but the whole email saga has been on display this entire election. From the primaries until now. Of course we could have done without this but again. When even the harshest of Hillary critics questions this that says something.

The only reason I don't have any faith in the media's ability to handle this properly is because they never have. They've sensationalized this from the beginning, when anybody with a functioning brain who actually looked into the facts of the story knew emailghazi was a nothingburger and Hillary wasn't getting indicted MONTHS before Comey shat into a microphone.

The media wants to keep this close for as long as possible, and they don't care how harmful that is to our Democracy.

Boke1879

Wow. This anti-Comey hate in here is out of control. Nycmetsfan is right on the money, here. I think poligaf is just really sensitive about their candidate.

No one isn't saying he shouldn't have done his job, but even pundits are questioning the timing and vagueness of the whole thing. He fucked up, and I doubt' he just stupid.

Either he attempted to be vague in order to not appear partisan, but instead appearing partisan.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You snuggle up to Comey and say you will help him as much as possible and say that you want as much info from him as fast as possible. You point out that Chaffetz fucking lied and the media took it hook line and sinker.

The same Comney who had that partisan press conference?

Debirudog

really, I just don't get how Clinton is involved in all of this just because her partner is once involved with Weaver. We know it has nothing to do with the servers or even herself, so the media just looks like they're making shit out of nothing.

You can move right the fuck on with your typical hypocrite tripe finger wagging. You can aim that trash at someone who is actually dumb. Maybe theyd fall for that reductionist nonsense.

Saying he should lose his fucking job for being a partisan incompetent hack is not equivalent to banana republic throwing political opponents in jail. He is doing a horrific job, and there is no necessity an agency or a president has to let a moron continue doing shit at his job.

Same with gerrymandering, your other favorite hypocrite screed. Failing a court judgement, Democrats absolutely should gerrymander in retaliation if the opportunity arises.

This way we can kill the gridlock and get laws passed preventing such things from happening in the future. I cant count the dozens of times a party has utilized similar negative tactics only to use their victory to end such practices in the future.

In short, this is politics. Use the nuclear weapons you have against the obstructionist party, then once you win end the ability for either side to do it.

You can stay losing on the mystical high horse if it makes you feel better.
This.

In American politics you are always playing the game. To ignore Comey's inept/intentional fuckery is how you let Republicans dictate the terms. You cant just ignore it to take the high road.

FWIW, I'm ok with appointing a different Republican Director of FBI as long as they're not political, like Comey clearly is.

No one isn't saying he shouldn't have done his job, but even pundits are questioning the timing and vagueness of the whole thing. He fucked up, and I doubt' he just stupid.

Either he attempted to be vague in order to not appear partisan, but instead appearing partisan.

this right here is a clear sign you've got nothing

What does he do? The media spin was going to happen, remember we were already seeing a "tighting story"

What did Comey do here that was egregious? He sent a legally required letter to Congress. Chaffetz the lied to the media about the contents of that letter and the media completely and unquestioningly bought that lie.

He sent this letter eleven days before the election, vaguely-worded. This is irresponsible. He could have - and should have - written a much clearer letter about what was being investigated so that Chaffetz couldn't have run right to Twitter to mislead the media.

I mean, if you want me to say that I'm displeased with Chaffetz and Ryan and CNN and the rest of the media that ran with this before they knew anything, sure, they're on the list, too. But regarding Comey, I can't help but combine this with his "Hillary Clinton is irresponsible and careless" rant before saying "Oh yeah, she also didn't break any laws" and come to the conclusion that even if he isn't actually acting in a partisan way on purpose, he sure as fuck presents information in a way that consistently looks partisan, and the director of the FBI should be above that.

johnsmith

remember me
this right here is a clear sign you've got nothing

What does he do? The media spin was going to happen, remember we were already seeing a "tighting story"
Maybe make a stament himself instead of sending a letter to fucking Chaffetz that the Republicans were able to spin into something more sinister.

tuffy

I think they've done what they need to do in pushing for more information about what's being investigated. It looks like nothing just like the other investigations, so might as well try to get the official word that it's nothing.
There's a good argument that in this hyper-partisan environment, the "October surprise" is dead. Just as Trump voters haven't jumped ship no matter how many new allegations of misconduct come forward, Clinton voters aren't going anywhere just because of another story about emails. It's all baked-in and might not move her numbers at all.

Comey is #1 to blame. Vague ass letter that got filled by GOP talking points by Chaffetz/Trump and served to the feeding frenzy of media/politics with 10 days out. Completely fucking the pooch here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom