• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Learn what insane means, thanks.

This is like the tenth or eleventh time ive read some variation of "you are being just like them you cant criticize them if you do it too" from him. Usually false equivalent nonsense. I did not day that was symptomatic of all his posts. Just this specific type of conversation is his thing. He always answers this way about it, with typical lack of self awareness.

Emotion is not the same as substance. Yes in both cases it the emotion is anger. Is that the extent of the shallow analysis?

Heh I was called delusional earlier as well. Personal insults like that towards fellow gaffers tend to go under the radar but they shouldn't especially when they are sincere and not said out of jest.

What? But this information was leaked only about an hour or two after Comey sent the letter. Either he couldn't fuckin' wait to send the letter an hour or two (which I don't think anyone would have been blasting him for), or he rushed to send it without adding at least a bit of information to clarify that these emails weren't really connected straight to Clinton or her personal server.

Leaked information isn't the information an FBI director proclaims true in a letter to congress. Its an agents knowledge or desired narrative, not #facts.

Sianos

Swing voters and maybe wobbly nose-holding Clinton voters who don't want to vote for someone "under investigation". They don't switch to Trump but they don't vote, period.
I mean I guess that could be true... But I just can't see someone who got over the past email investigation suddenly being swayed back again by a few more emails.

I feel like anyone who could be swayed by this wouldn't have held their nose in the first place.

Iolo

Wonder if Comey will discuss how their in progress investigation of Russia's contacts with the Trump campaign is going.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
What? But this information was leaked only about an hour or two after Comey sent the letter. Either he couldn't fuckin' wait to send the letter an hour or two (which I don't think anyone would have been blasting him for), or he rushed to send it without adding at least a bit of information to clarify that these emails weren't really connected straight to Clinton or her personal server.

But if it's something he's going to have to testify to in full later, why would he officially commit himself to specifics in his notification letter while they're still investigating them? Leaks to the media do not need to be accurate, but testimony does and he doesn't want to make specific claims now in case the investigation brings up conflicting info.

The investigation was never just Clinton. This is what it was

What your asking is even more blatant electioneering. Singling Clinton out is, 1 prejudicing the investigation (because he literally doesn't know what the emails contain!) and 2 clearly trying to exonerate clinton.

Sorry, that's an absurd argument. Being as honest as possible about what's being investigated isn't "electioneering." It's being, you know, honest. If the facts support Clinton, as they often seem to do whenever one of these controversies comes up, it is what it is, but it's more honest than, yes, a vague letter that Chaffetz and Ryan and the media can immediately misinterpret.

Joeytj

Banned
Well, it's over!

She just said that the FBI should release everything they have, she just found out about it the same as everybody else. She went all in with the shaddyness of it all, and how Comey sent the letter only to Republican members of Congress.

Amir0x

Banned
You're not going to get laws passed with these actions. You're not going to win elections and you're going to have continued trench warfare where nothing gets done.

Except history shows we have and will continue to do so. Sometimes to stop an evil, you need to utilize some of the same tactics in order to amass enough power to end it. It happens over and over throughout history. You are idealistic, but sometimes politicians must play dirty to get the right thing done in the end.

You're asking for undeliverables. You're not getting single payer, you're not getting free college, you're not going to fire people randomly, The Dems aren't going to get the ability to re-gerrymander because they can't win in OH, PA, NC's gerrymandered map. They can't win the house even with a insane person like trump. Its not happening but when you demand these things instead of promising and wanting incremental "high horsed" reforms that maybe don't get you the same level of power the other side held but get you to a more functional system that can break the fever on the other side and get back to a rational system were compromises have to be made and occasionally we get unified government.
Which is why after 2020, Dems need to gerrymander in retaliation, get the power and then proceed to try to end it. Your argument continues to ve if you do that, you cant criticize its use. No better than them! But it is abject nonsense.

You use the arsensal you have to win decisively, then you can fix these things without obstruction. Politics.

Teggy

Kaine to Wisconsin too. And ads? Are there weird internals coming out of there?

There are also stories coming out of Texas that voters are being asked for photo ID when they don't need to have photo ID

This is like the tenth or eleventh time ive read some variation of "you are being just like them you cant criticize them if you do it too" from him. Usually false equivalent nonsense. I did not day that was symptomatic of all his posts. Just this specific type of conversation is his thing. He always answers this way about it, with typical lack of self awareness.

Because you guys keep doing this. You circle the wagons, resort to the same kneejerk tribalism and use a lot of the same logic I read and see from right wingers which as lead them to trump. I've explained this before this doesn't make you worse or the same. But I see parallels. I'm going to point them out so hopefully you guys can not get as bad as them and lead us to corbynesque politics.

Boke1879

If Comey sent that letter only to republican members of congress then he's fucked and I can see the media immediately pivoted to him putting his hand on the election.

teiresias

Well, it's over!

She just said that the FBI should release everything they have, she just found out about it the same as everybody else. She went all in with the shaddyness of it all, and how Comey sent the letter only to Republican members of Congress.

YES!! Drag him and don't let him get away with this highly partisan behavior under the guise of a law enforcement agency.

There is a huge difference between what a FBI worker can anonymously leak on background and what the FBI Director can say in a letter that is effectively under oath.

This isn't a matter of an hour or two.

anyone thinking Comey isn't partisan is a fool, particularly after that little spectacle he put on as he was clearing Hillary of any criminal wrong-doing.

Because you guys keep doing this. You circle the wagons, resort to the same kneejerk tribalism and use a lot of the same logic I read and see from right wingers which as lead them to trump. I've explained this before this doesn't make you worse or the same. But I see parallels. I'm going to point them out so hopefully you guys can not get as bad as them and lead us to corbynesque politics.

These bad generalizations don't make your false equivalences any more convincing.

Iolo

There are also stories coming out of Texas that voters are being asked for photo ID when they don't need to have photo ID

It's possible. Or they are trying to prop up the downballot.

But if it's something he's going to have to testify to in full later, why would he officially commit himself to specifics in his notification letter while they're still investigating them? Leaks to the media do not need to be accurate, but testimony does and he doesn't want to make specific claims now in case the investigation brings up conflicting info.

This is probably the fairest argument I've heard in favor of Comey's letter, but a simple "currently, we do not believe that any of the emails were sent directly by Clinton" would have covered his ass and, you know, been true.

And saying that they're looking at devices used by Weiner/Abedin (or even just saying that they were currently not looking at the server itself) also would have been true!

I think there's room to be reserved and yet give enough information that the media wouldn't run with wild server stories here. Could I have done better writing that letter? Maybe not, but then again, I'm not the director of the FBI.

How? They know where they got the emails from...yes?

They need to do forensics on the emails. They need to make sure that they are real and unaltered. That takes time. They then need to cross reference the new information with what they already have. That also takes time.

You want the FBI to be thorough here.

Put me in for emails being nothing. A) this has followed her for a while now and the results are baked into the polls and votes already and B) this is because short of her emailing Assad from a gmail account, there is no smoking gun.

Joeytj

Banned

If they suddenly send Hillary or an Obama, then you should worry, but it's most likely just shoring up some states they haven't been there in a while.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Only sent it to Republicans?

I think some posters here need to apologize.

Except history shows we have and will continue to do so. Sometimes to stop an evil, you need to utilize some of the same tactics in order to amass enough power to end it. It happens over and over throughout history. You are idealistic, but sometimes politicians must play dirty to get the right thing done in the end.
History does not show this. Its shows more times than not, the opposite.

Which is why after 2020, Dems need to gerrymander in retaliation, get the power and then proceed to try to end it. Your argument continues to ve if you do that, you cant criticize its use. No better than them! But it is abject nonsense.

You use the arsensal you have to win decisively, then you can fix these things without obstruction. Politics.

This is never going to happen. This is a goal like the "repeal Obamacare" lie on the right that's never going to happen. When ends in demoralization

You're gonna get rid of gerrymandering like OH is doing (with republicans!!!!) or through ballot initiatives, SCOTUS decisions. And its absolutely foolish to think that when given that power they're then gonna "fix it" why aren't they doing that in IL or MD? They should! The federal house isn't preventing gerrymandering. So losing those two seats in those states shouldn't matter, should it to the goal of fixing gerrymandering.

Sending it only to Republicans is definitely shady though.

He sent it to the committee chairs who are only republicans because they control the house. Come on guys...

smurfx

get some go again
anyone thinking Comey isn't partisan is a fool, particularly after that little spectacle he put on as he was clearing Hillary of any criminal wrong-doing.
yup that tongue lashing he gave clinton was his gift to the republicans for not being able to indict hillary but instead trump went and flushed it down the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom