• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

If it does not, then the letter was not needed in the first place. Then we are back to Comey being a jackass.

The letter was needed simply because the emails may be tied to Clinton in some way. Which is why he should have been more open about what he was doing instead of vague.

Piecake

I'm from florida....

And my argument isn't "we should work with Republicans"

Its that we should treat them as legitimate parts of the government and they have rights in our constitutional order just the same. I'm fine with party line bills! Just don't like the "fuck 'em" attitude.

Well, one area where both parties can work together on is the impeachment of JIm Comey

Diablos

I honestly don't think they're as bad as I expected this morning, given what we've learned. The coverage has rolled back a bit from where it was.
I just started to watch the news and it still looks like an unnecessary amount of damage control from the Dem side. We just don't need this shit.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The letter was needed simply because the emails may be tied to Clinton in some way. Which is why he should have been more open about what he was doing instead of vague.

Yeah, but why not include that info to person the investigation is about?
Unless it was supposed to remain a secret?

I want to agree, but look at all the shit RBG got for her comments on Trump. From both sides.

There's still an expectation of impartiality. Not every governing body is required or should wade into cross-party politics in an election year.

You're right that the standard FBI response wasnt going to satisfy everyone, but it's not like the response he went with satisfied anyone either. The second Hillary's emails became a partisan issue, there was no longer a response that would have been satisfactory.

My argument is based on the fact that I don't think he was trying to please anyone. I think he was, honest to goodness, just explaining the results of the probe. Saying she was careless is, you know, kind of not 100% wrong? What Powell did was careless. I feel like had he come out and said "This is a disqualifying thing, and she should probably never run for office" then, yes. 100% politics.

It's kind of like when I used to work for an eye doctor. I did something for a patient that wasn't wrong (in that it didn't violate law or policy or anything) but I still shouldn't have done it. The doctor was within her right to say "Hey, that was stupid." She wasn't my boss. She didn't have the right to fire me, but she was responsible for looking into what I did, and it was fine that she did it.

But, yes, no one could be happy with what would come out of the investigation. Period. Full stop. No one. SO, that's why I'm not okay with calling for Comey to be fired.

Well, also because that would be just the dumbest thing possible! The optics (gag) of that would be absolutely terrible.

shem935

Banned
Yeah, but why not include that info to person the investigation is about?
Unless it was supposed to remain a secret?

It seems clear to me he didn't intend for the letter to be leaked. That's my speculation but everything he did points to that. He didn't notify her because he didn't expect her to need to react to it.

I just started to watch the news and it still looks like an unnecessary amount of damage control from the Dem side. We just don't need this shit.

I mean, maybe, but I don't really find it that awful and probably something that won't have a lot of legs unless Comey gives a statement.

Joeytj

Banned
That's logical, since the first page was originally the only page released.
Still find it a bit puzzling how it appears Clinton was caught surprised by this.

Did they not bother to notify her?

Because it apparently doesn't even have anything to do with her! That's why it's bullshit.

Theres bad optics sure. But there is no waffling here. Pushback from Democrats is legit. Chaffetz primed the release for maximum damage. Comey fucked the pooch completely by being over eager to release everything he's doing. Oh hey Comey, any updates on how the investigation into Pam Bondi is coming along? Maybe send congress a 3 paragraph letter?

Boke1879

It seems clear to me he didn't intend for the letter to be leaked. That's my speculation but everything he did points to that. He didn't notify her because he didn't expect her to need to react to it.

And she's absolutely right in calling on him to clarify.

She handled the presser well. about all she can do. All she has to do now is keep on with her campaign.

Of course there will be "damage control' from dems, but that's because you can't handwave this shit. best to get out in front of it now and see where you are in two days.

Revolver

I'm so confused right now. Are these new emails? Or are they just duplicates of the ones already turned over? The FBI should clarify this a bit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it's a good idea to watch early voting over the next few days and see if trends change. Granted, early voters are often partisans, but if you see NC voting like suddenly die then we know it's bad.

I'm so confused right now. Are these new emails? Or are they just duplicates of the ones already turned over? The FBI should clarify this a bit.

They are not emails that have been previously reviewed, but that does not mean the text had not been previously reviewed. For example:

Email 1: Hillary is a bitch

Email 2: FW: Hillary is a bitch

Email 1 and 2 are distinct even though they are the same email.

Boke1879

I think it's a good idea to watch early voting over the next few days and see if trends change. Granted, early voters are often partisans, but if you see NC voting like suddenly die then we know it's bad.

I suspect a lot of black people will be voting on Sunday.

Bowdz

My biggest complaint about how this is being reported beyond the general hysteria of it all is that the media is not mentioning that the GOP leaked this statement to the public. They are all reportig this as though Comey announced this to the public in some big public event.

Nafai1123

Banned
Cant tell if that is a serious question. I mean the head of that committee is a guy who already said he is going to spend the next 4-8 years under a Clinton presidency investigating the same stuff he has spent 2 years wasting tax payer dollars to investigate all to undermine her presidency. Further, the GOP has spent almost a year not holding meetings to confirm a SC Judge and some, specifically the Zodiac Killer, have already said they wont be holding any such confirmation hearings during a Clinton presidency for the current vacancy nor any future ones. Basically, you have one party who has a lot of power and gives absolutely no fucks over any political repercussions as long as they can ensure democrats cant doing anything to move the country forward.

Yeah, I guess I'm being naïve here. No fucks given indeed.

rSpooky

You know.. if the emails were either from or send to the email server... and they investigated the email server.. then I am very certain they already had these emails from the other side of the conversation one way or another.

I am not sure there is anything new unless these are "the missing 33000 emails(trumptrademark)" we keep hearing about from the republicans.

Besides that , so far this has nothing to do with Hillary other then the fact it came from the same server . If they had a state server the same emails would probably be sent as well.
Often you CAN send emails from work to an outside address..

so much crazy over nothing (yet)

Y2Kev

My biggest complaint about how this is being reported beyond the general hysteria of it all is that the media is not mentioning that the GOP leaked this statement to the public. They are all reportig this as though Comey announced this to the public in some big public event.

The news media has shown through the Wikileaks stuff they actually enjoy leaks. It is investigative reporting made easy for them.

Exactly. We'll even get some numbers tonight.

Y2Kev

You know.. if the emails were either from or send to the email server... and they investigated the email server.. then I am very certain they already had these emails from the other side of the conversation one way or another.

I am not sure there is anything new unless these are "the missing 33000 emails(trumptrademark)" we keep hearing about from the republicans.

Besides that , so far this has nothing to do with Hillary other then the fact it came from the same server . If they had a state server the same emails would probably be sent as well.
Often you CAN send emails from work to an outside address..

so much crazy over nothing (yet)

Not necessarily. What I imagine is that there COULD be a lot of the 33k emails that were "deleted." Like, for example, "Huma, what should I wear today?" would not have been turned over to the state dept. Probably. BUT I doubt there are any emails sent BY hillary TO huma on a non-state email. If Huma forwarded classified emails sent to huma@state.gov to huma@gmail.com, then I bet she's fucked.

Caja 117

You really think the Podesta emails have shifted the race at all? It hasn't and quite frankly this won't either.

Trump wont win, that door is closed. Comeys partisan wink wink nudge nudge will simply lower the margin by a point or two. In essence, the long long long shot at the House we can declare effectively over now. Maybe reduce our Senate win by seat or two.

Hillary will win, but we have good reason to be furious with the self-evidently partisan timing of this. We needed margins for the type of gains that would make Hill's first two years of legislation legendary. This is likely definitively putting an end to that already long shot dream.
I think constant reminder to the masses of emails help take away enthusiasm to go and vote for her, even if polls show her in a confortable lead, this are just polls that dont represent the final choice of the voters. I wish I was as ppsitive as you guys, but I believe common semse and critical thinking is not present in most of the population and Trump seems to be the end result of this.

Dems aren't going to stay home over this. It's not even Clinton's fault.

I don't think there are enough jazzed Trump voters and depressed Clinton non-voters for the streams to cross. But if this gets pushed down to the 2-or-3-point firewall on election day I may be watching Clinton take the stage while inhaling that sweet sweet pure oxygen in the ICU.

Revolver

They are not emails that have been previously reviewed, but that does not mean the text had not been previously reviewed. For example:

Email 1: Hillary is a bitch

Email 2: FW: Hillary is a bitch

Email 1 and 2 are distinct even though they are the same email.

Okay, that's the impression I've been getting. They're forwarded emails of the ones already reviewed.

rSpooky

Not necessarily. What I imagine is that there COULD be a lot of the 33k emails that were "deleted." Like, for example, "Huma, what should I wear today?" would not have been turned over to the state dept. Probably. BUT I doubt there are any emails sent BY hillary TO huma on a non-state email. If Huma forwarded classified emails sent to huma@state.gov to huma@gmail.com, then I bet she's fucked.

Huma or Hillary? Cause as much as she like Huma she would drop her cold if that was the case, I am sure.

Y2Kev

I think constant reminder to the masses of emails help take away enthusiasm to go and vote for her, even if polls show her in a confortable lead, this are just polls that dont represent the final choice of the voters. I wish I was as ppsitive as you guys, but I believe common semse and critical thinking is not present in most of the population and Trump seems to be the end result of this.

It's not clear. I mean, when Comey came out and really excoriated her, per Trash Nate she lost 2 points. If she lost 2 points today, she'd still be a 65/35 favorite. Now, that's not great by any means. But that was worse than this, I think. I think.

Touchdown

Banned
what's going on? I just came home from work and CNN is exploding over emails again??? What happened?

32edef9c83.gif

Atlagev

Eh, what can you do? Big picture thing is this isn't what it seemed like at first, and is seemingly unrelated to her. If pressed, Clinton should focus on that. The biggest thing now is I see a bunch of people making Anthony Weiner jokes on Twitter, which I imagine will die down.

Otherwise, I say just ignore it. Hopefully, Trump will say something stupid again soon.

Y2Kev

what's going on? I just came home from work and CNN is exploding over emails again??? What happened?

32edef9c83.gif

Basically this:
-Comey sends letter to Congress saying he found new emails and has to investigate them
-Chaffetz says Comey is reopening the investigation, whatever
-The emails were later revealed to be found on Huma/Weiner's computer/blackberry
-Nobody knows anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom