• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Because you guys keep doing this. You circle the wagons, resort to the same kneejerk tribalism and use a lot of the same logic I read and see from right wingers which as lead them to trump. I've explained this before this doesn't make you worse or the same. But I see parallels. I'm going to point them out so hopefully you guys can not get as bad as them and lead us to corbynesque politics.

Yes yes, you're above it all, nothing ever gets to you and we should all just talk as we would if we were sitting in a business meeting. Seriously, you're tone has been a real drag lately, even before this happened.

You seem like a bright guy and I appreciate what you bring to these discussions but you've been a downer lately. I think this election is getting to you the same as others but you're dealing with it differently is all.

Measley

Just watched Chris Matthews where they said Clinton was wrong saying that it only went to Republicans. Just saw the letter he sent where it clearly did go directly to Republican chairmen.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Isn't that just because he only sent it to the heads of the committees involved, who would all be Republican?

Why?

Would that not be a good excuse to send it to all applicable parties?

I guess to be fair, the news has CONSTANTLY been asking if Trump's campaign is over, so no surprise they'd do the same with Clinton's campaign.

The difference is that what Trump said didn't sink him (yet), and now we're to believe that what other people say about Clinton will sink her immediately?

I'd like to have more faith in the American public, but I won't know that until the 9th.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think she's absolutely right in telling the FBI to release all they have and for Comey to explain the situation.

Yeah, I'm surprised she did that because she did the right thing in addressing it via press conference. Still, it's setting in unfortunately that this will be a big deal!

Yes yes, you're above it all, nothing ever gets to you and we should all just talk as we would if we were sitting in a business meeting. Seriously, you're tone has been a real drag lately, even before this happened.

You seem like a bright guy and I appreciate what you bring to these discussions but you've been a downer lately. I think this election is getting to you the same as others but you're dealing with it differently is all.

No, I do it to. Lots of my cretiques can apply to me. In fact, its in self reflection that I tend to realize about them, and get depressed when I see others do the same.

Yes, that's my goal. I want us to be rational, I'm gonna cheer and be happy on election night! But I think, especially since this is a discussion forum we should be sober about how we actually fix things instead of cheering each battle while losing sight of the war and the long road ahead. I've seen the disillusionment of obama and I try to prevent that as much so we can fix the things that need fixing.

kadotsu

Banned
So will the Clinton email investigation pop up every time the FBI finds that someone they are investigating send an email to HRC while she was Secretary of State?

Okay, so here's the thing:

Comey doing the press conference wasn't standard procedure. Because, as much as we all may want to pretend otherwise, this wasn't a standard situation. Simply saying "We're not recommending charges" was not a sufficient answer. That would have satisfied no one. This was a weird situation, and I think he felt that it was necessary to explain to the American people why they came to the decision that they did.

Now, we can argue that he didn't play good politics with it, and that is totally fine. He's not a politician! The reason a lot of people are upset is that they didn't like his language. He was injecting himself into a political situation, because this is a political situation! So, I do give him the benefit of the doubt here. We can argue that he didn't phrase things well, but he was trying to explain his thought process. Now, he may have miscalculated what the GOP would do with it, but to pretend that he was intentionally trying to hurt her in the original presser is....eh. I don't buy it. Sorry.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I mean, to me, it's fine to just send it to the heads, but he should have made what was going on much, much clearer.

You would think the person this case is about would get a copy of the letter...

Nafai1123

Banned
Alright, ignoring Comey for a moment. My next question is, how can a Republican committee intentionally leak misinformation regarding an active FBI investigation?

Oriel

Lol, this non-story is moving rapidly towards criticism of the FBI instead. Trump will wake up tomorrow to find calls for Comey's resignation over this ill-timed intervention and return to ranting about the system being "rigged" and other meaningless whinges on Twitter.

America has had prior experience of former FBI heads engaging in all manners of political fuckery in DC, something both the GOP and Dems are keen never to allow happen again.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder how fast President Trump can get Crooked Hillery Clinton locked up on election day. She's a nasty women after all with overseas ties so she's definitely a flight risk. Sad.

Teggy

Regarding if this could hurt Hillary, conventional wisdom I have been reading is that it wouldn't hurt Hillary but could hurt downballot.

No, I do it to. Lots of my cretiques can apply to me. In fact, its in self reflection that I tend to realize about them, and get depressed when I see others do the same.

Yes, that's my goal. I want us to be rational, I'm gonna cheer and be happy on election night! But I think, especially since this is a discussion forum we should be sober about how we actually fix things instead of cheering each battle while losing sight of the war and the long road ahead. I've seen the disillusionment of obama and I try to prevent that as much so we can fix the things that need fixing.

The problem is that you resort to equating things to the extreme right so damn often that it just comes off as a way for you to dismiss anything you disagree with.

Comey doing the press conference wasn't standard procedure. Because, as much as we all may want to pretend otherwise, this wasn't a standard situation. Simply saying "We're not recommending charges" was not a sufficient answer. That would have satisfied no one. This was a weird situation, and I think he felt that it was necessary to explain to the American people why they came to the decision that they did.

Now, we can argue that he didn't play good politics with it, and that is totally fine. He's not a politician! The reason a lot of people are upset is that they didn't like his language. He was injecting himself into a political situation, because this is a political situation! So, I do give him the benefit of the doubt here. We can argue that he didn't phrase things well, but he was trying to explain his thought process. Now, he may have miscalculated what the GOP would do with it, but to pretend that he was intentionally trying to hurt her in the original presser is....eh. I don't buy it. Sorry.
I agree compeltly, though I ad that he's also got to please the GOP with some criticisms of Clinton (because she did do things wrong!) to preserve the FBI's reputation

Because you guys keep doing this. You circle the wagons, resort to the same kneejerk tribalism and use a lot of the same logic I read and see from right wingers which as lead them to trump. I've explained this before this doesn't make you worse or the same. But I see parallels. I'm going to point them out so hopefully you guys can not get as bad as them and lead us to corbynesque politics.

You don't get to take this stance when you're banging the "we should work with Republicans even though arguably Obama's biggest failing was being so naive as to think they'd help him" drum. Get out of liberal cities and meet some real Republicans before saying this stuff. It's garbage from blue state Dems.

It also energizes Trump voters who may have been de-motivated from voting lately. I can't honestly say what this is all going to look like by next week.

Anyway, done dampening the sheets for now, carry on.

Boke1879

Now I am starting to freak out again that Trump is going to win.

Don't take offense to this. But a lot of people in this thread worry about everything. If this shifts the election in a meaningful way I'll eat crow because it'll mean the electorate is swayed by essentially nothing yet they are ok with a candidate saying all sorts of vile shit.

That said. She handled the presser right and that's essentially all she needs to say about it. What the media does with that is anyone's guess but we'll see early next week what effect this has.

You don't get to take this stance when you're banging the "we should work with Republicans even though arguably Obama's biggest failing was being so naive as to think they'd help him" drum. Get out of liberal cities and meet some real Republicans before saying this stuff. It's garbage from blue state Dems.

I'm from florida....

And my argument isn't "we should work with Republicans"

Its that we should treat them as legitimate parts of the government and they have rights in our constitutional order just the same. I'm fine with party line bills! Just don't like the "fuck 'em" attitude.

royalan

I want to agree, but look at all the shit RBG got for her comments on Trump. From both sides.

There's still an expectation of impartiality. Not every governing body is required or should wade into cross-party politics in an election year.

You're right that the standard FBI response wasnt going to satisfy everyone, but it's not like the response he went with satisfied anyone either. The second Hillary's emails became a partisan issue, there was no longer a response that would have been satisfactory.

Suikoguy

Here is the letter. It was sent to ranking Democrats also. Listed on page 2. It's all Republicans listed on the committee on page 1 though which is probably where the confusion came from.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps...-leaders-on-clinton-email-investigation/2113/

That's logical, since the first page was originally the only page released.
Still find it a bit puzzling how it appears Clinton was caught surprised by this.

Did they not bother to notify her?

Joeytj

Banned

Josh Marshall at TPM said the same thing. He doesn't believe Comey did this for political reasons, but that it nonetheless was used for this by Republicans and that Comey is most likely just not good at handling a case like this.

He also believes that this won't change anything and it's clear from his letter, that Comey doesn't seem to think this is a big deal to begin with (several reporters also said sources were characterizing the investigation like this).

The media and Republicans are overhyping this.

And the "device" was apparently a laptop both Huma and Weiner used at home (hence the connection to Weiner's investigation), and Huma sometimes used it to print some emails from her work account, which was from Hillary's private server (that's where the connection to the Clinton server investigation comes from). It's likely most of those emails were already handed over to the FBI, since other sources have said that these emails weren't been purposefully withheld by the Clinton campaign or Huma.

Again, the Clinton campaign is more pissed off at how this is being handled in the media and the FBI than actually worried about what's being investigated.

lyrick

So from a strategy perspective, what should the Clinton campaign do? Do you get out in front of it? Ignore it?

If there is nothing there to find. You publicy hound Comey for updates on the investigation that was worth an 11th hour election disruption. You ask him every hour on the hour where the investigation is and why He's not actively working on it through the night since it's such a high priority that it's worth an unheard of presidential election election disruption.

At the same time you get your staff to feed the news how unheard of this partisan play was and how Comey's actions not only go against the DOJ precedent, it also goes against the very fabric of our democracy.

Or you just let it go away. The people may actually be tired of hearing about grandma's emails.

Boke1879

You know what you do? You frame this to your base that Trump is trying to suppress the vote.

You guys don't want dems or our base to get complacent well this may be the thing that actually gets people out to vote if you can frame that it's close to enough to risk a Trump Presidency

That's logical, since the first page was originally the only page released.
Still find it a bit puzzling how it appears Clinton was caught surprised by this.

Did they not bother to notify her?

There may be a fuckton of irony here if she was not notified because it doesn't actually involve her. (At worst, this is an investigation of an aide.)

My take on the impact after thinking about it more is that American still has a choice between wildly offensive and unqualified and highly qualified, but the price for a 'normal' candidate is four years of 90s-grade partisan nonsense factored and magnified by social media and terminally stupid cable news.

I don't think they blame Hillary for the Republican behavoir, but they find the GOP activity very unappealing, yet impossible to stop.

Suikoguy

There may be a fuckton of irony here if she was not notified because it doesn't actually involve her. (At worst, this is an investigation of an aide.)

If it does not, then the letter was not needed in the first place. Then we are back to Comey being a jackass.

Alright, ignoring Comey for a moment. My next question is, how can a Republican committee intentionally leak misinformation regarding an active FBI investigation?

Cant tell if that is a serious question. I mean the head of that committee is a guy who already said he is going to spend the next 4-8 years under a Clinton presidency investigating the same stuff he has spent 2 years wasting tax payer dollars to investigate all to undermine her presidency. Further, the GOP has spent almost a year not holding meetings to confirm a SC Judge and some, specifically the Zodiac Killer, have already said they wont be holding any such confirmation hearings during a Clinton presidency for the current vacancy nor any future ones. Basically, you have one party who has a lot of power and gives absolutely no fucks over any political repercussions as long as they can ensure democrats cant doing anything to move the country forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom