• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Comey letter to FBI employees per WaPo

Read Comey’s letter to FBI employees below.

To all:

This morning I sent a letter to Congress in connection with the Secretary Clinton email investigation. Yesterday, the investigative team briefed me on their recommendation with respect to seeking access to emails that have recently been found in an unrelated case. Because those emails appear to be pertinent to our investigation, I agreed that we should take appropriate steps to obtain and review them.

Of course, we don’t ordinarily tell Congress about ongoing investigations, but here I feel an obligation to do so given that I testified repeatedly in recent months that our investigation was completed. I also think it would be misleading to the American people were we not to supplement the record. At the same time, however, given that we don’t know the significance of this newly discovered collection of emails, I don’t want to create a misleading impression. In trying to strike that balance, in a brief letter and in the middle of an election season, there is significant risk of being misunderstood, but I wanted you to hear directly from me about it.

Jim Comey

To the bolded. You don't say Jim, you don't fucking say. He knew what this was going to mean and he still did it anyway.

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...vestigation/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.9f2fb71a16bc

Makai

News of tightening polls is good news for Democrats. That'll get people off their butt and make them vote instead of sitting on the sidelines.

Keep in mind, Trump saying that the polls are rigged will reduce his turnout.
Or it has the opposite effect. We can't know something like this. Very easy to imagine that tightening polls gives dispirited Republicans hope that they can still win, so they bother turning out. And there's even been at least a couple cases of Republicans voting twice to combat perceived Democrat voter fraud.

Boke1879

Not really a prediction, but don't be shocked if over the next couple of days the story changes and it's Comey in the hot seat for not being clear enough and how this stunt was pulled 11 days before the election

Diablos

The difference between this and the Access Hollywood story is that there isn't any further context needed for the AH story. If "UNDER INVESTIGATION" by itself were enough to cause you to massively hemorrhage votes, she would have been losing in polls at some point during the actual investigation and/or when the Benghazi stuff came out.
What happened is unprecedented though. Has anyone from the FBI ever done this right before an election? The, I hate to say it, optics look awful. Out of nowhere, 11 days before the election he says they're looking at e-mails again. It's the height of irresponsibility and he should be ashamed of himself. But what he did in and of itself really hasn't been done before; first basically saying that despite all that he felt compelled to whine about, he didn't indict her and said this was a done deal, to then writing an extremely vague letter to Congressional Republicans this close to the election regarding some apparently new emails. It leaves, as Trumpy says, people in suspense. He's trying to fuck with the election and when it comes to low info or undecided voters it could pay off to some extent.

Everyone has different opinions about this but nominating Comey is the dumbest thing Obama ever did. It's the ultimate proof that his need to try and appeal to more sensible Republicans was just a losing strategy for him, from health care to the FBI.

Iolo

Oh, so he wasn't actually obligated to update Congress. He just "felt" an obligation. Sorry, my remaining respect for him just went out the window.

kevin1025

Banned

To the bolded. You don't say Jim, you don't fucking say. He knew what this was going to mean and he still did it anyway.

He admits that his letter will have the exact effect it had. But did nothing to fix it, except to his staff.

Cool stuff.

Iolo

"we don’t ordinarily tell Congress about ongoing investigations" but he "felt an obligation"

Fuck off, partisan hack. FBI employees can't be happy about this.

The media is going to get tired of no new information from Comey and they are going to bring the knives out. No one wants this J Edgar Hoover crap.

Oh, so he wasn't actually obligated to update Congress. He just "felt" an obligation. Sorry, my remaining respect for him just went out the window.

Yeah that internal letter he sent is a joke. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up resigning (in a few weeks).

Amir0x

Banned

Of course he did. His original "not indicting" speech already shocked experts across the country for how unprecedented it was. Now Republicans, Democrats and experts alike are aghast how this too is being handled.

It was clearly meant to be a 'let your imagination run wild' statement, meant to let Trumps band of barely mentally functional supporters fill it in with the worst.

This is partisan hackery of the finest order, and he will eventually lose his job over it. Fuck Comey and i hope he uses all his vacation time now. Loser will soon have no government job.

Blader

Because it's unprecedented for this to drop right before an election. With 11 days left you don't want words like FBI and SEXTING and NEW EMAIL INVESTIGATION next to your name if you're Hillary Clinton.

I'm so fucking pissed off I want to throw something.

Get a grip.

tuffy

Not really a prediction, but don't be shocked if over the next couple of days the story changes and it's Comey in the hot seat for not being clear enough and how this stunt was pulled 11 days before the election
With Clinton and her surrogates plainly on the side of disclosure and transparency, I also think it's pretty clear that Comey's going to need to come up with something soon. She's poised to turn the tables on the "Clinton is the secretive one" narrative that had been spun over the past few months.

super duper bad

Supa bad
Supa Dupa bad

4l1SmO5.gif

So he knew exactly what would happen, didn't do anything to prevent it, and let the weekend commence?

And they don't even know what they are looking at? And why am I supposed to defend Comey here?

The Clinton campaign needs to hammer them over and over to explain in great detail exactly what they are doing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"we don’t ordinarily tell Congress about ongoing investigations" but he "felt an obligation"

Fuck off, partisan hack. FBI employees can't be happy about this.

Yep, changes quite a bit does it not?

Diablos

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...vestigation/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.9f2fb71a16bc
What kind of fucking note is this?

No, seriously, what the fuck is this?

He is basically saying in the most half-assed way that he's a partisan hack and as a formality he just HAS to let all of you suckers know about it because election, lolol!

Is this real life?? This fucker doesn't even deserve to be a grocery store cart pusher after this BLATANT bullshit. What a loser.

Was FBI sitting on these devices? Huma probably turned over her devices during the email investigation.

I'm going to pull a guess out of my ass on this:

Huma turned over all of her e-mails as per the investigation.

On this computer, there is an e-mail account of Huma's. They can't access it as part of the Wiener investigation but they are asking / have obtained a search warrant for it per the Clinton investigation. They have no idea what is on the account.

Huma did not turn these over because they are duplicates of existing emails or personal.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, anyone want to argue that Comey is not a partisan hack after that letter to FBI people?

royalan

This is why I think this situation is the one time the Clinton Campaign should talk about the emails nonstop.

If they make a statement and then go silent, the bulk of the story remains on Hillary. But the more it's commented on, the more the story switches to Comey being a partisan hack, because at this point that's way more interesting than yet another round of Hillarymails.

There's nothing in that letter that says he's being a partisan hack. In fact the opposite. It's almost like the last line about "being misunderstood" is really pertinent.

Boke1879

They will do nothing, Comey will say nothing, this will just linger through the election

Comey will have to do something if he values his job. That letter of his that leaked doesn't look good for him at all and I would not be shocked if the narrative now switches to him potentially swaying the election and how unprecedented that is.

Seriously Dems and Reps are shocked at how this is being handled.

johnsmith

remember me
Comey is out come January. He's not staying in a Clinton administration.

Ideally Obama would take the hit and boot his ass on December 23 though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom