• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
To be honest, I do think Comney's actions have some degree of merit.

However, he should have at least taken the weekend to do a high level sweep of the emails to see whether they are relevant. Doing this all without knowing anything seems crazy.

Y'all need to...play a game or have a drink or get laid or something. Seriously.

Comey did what he did. We can't change it. It happened. And, like, whatever. There's no reason to panic over anything. At her lowest point, Hillary was still winning! She had a safe path to the White House. That's not going to change.

There's no use crying over spilled perfume.

Sibylus

Banned
Because all the usual suspects are losing their minds I can confidently say this will be fucking nothing.

Better reason: the only reason people are freaking out about this thing is that it's long on vague hypotheticals and Trump and co are speculating madly. When an answer comes out soon, it's going to take all of the gas out of it and Trump will be back to howling about how the FBI is on the conspiracy and that the election is rigged yada yada yada.

Diablos

Y'all need to...play a game or have a drink or get laid or something. Seriously.

Comey did what he did. We can't change it. It happened. And, like, whatever. There's no reason to panic over anything. At her lowest point, Hillary was still winning! She had a safe path to the White House. That's not going to change.

I agree that this isn't going to make her lose but aren't you concerned about the Senate
Because like if she doesn't get that she's going to be an extremely ineffective one term President who may not even appoint a new SCOTUS justice

Amir0x

Banned

For no less than the millionth time, everyone knows she is going to win. No problem getting laid or playing games either.

The problem is in downballots, the margins of which can be impacted with a one, two or three point swing. That is the issue. And it is not even remotely farfetched either.

Our goal is to run up the margins to win the Senate and cut into the House significantly. We need a 6-10 point margin. That is what is at stake, and no DIABLOS verb dismissal will change the truth of that reality. This is the last thing we needed to run up the margin.

I agree that this isn't going to make her lose but aren't you concerned about the Senate
Because like if she doesn't get that she's going to be an extremely ineffective one term President who may not even appoint a new SCOTUS justice

Whose vote is this going to change? Whose going to stay home because of this?

Sianos

Hasn't there been a story about "emails", wikileaks or otherwise, every day for the past month? I get that the FBI being invoked by name and an "extremely careless" Republican head of the FBI writing a letter that he himself recognizes as being incredibly vague and open to misinterpretation... on that note, perhaps if Comey is so worried about his deficient writing ability he could be proactive and take some remedial writing classes... but is anyone going to care about this who wasn't already swayed one way or another by the deluge of email related stories?

I can't see someone not being convinced that emails are the true most important issue of the election by the continued torrent of emails that wikileaks spewed everywhere for weeks... then being convinced by a vague letter written by Comey, who openly admits to having no insight at all and to being an awful writer.

At worst I could see some Republicans declaring themselves single issue voters about ethics in electronic mail and crawling back to the polling booth - but at the same time those people were just looking for an excuse to be convinced anyways.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not gonna lie to you guys: I'm drinking tonight, but that doesn't mean I think Clinton is going to lose or even come close to it.

It's not about if Clinton will lose, it's about how dragging the fuck out of Comey, because he deserves it.

Hazmat

Dude, you of all people don't get to tell people to care less and walk away from this thread.

CrazyDude

Dom Lemon show opens up with Clinton campaign in turmoil. This going to cost Clinton the election because the media is making this out to be more than it is.

royalan

I'm more outraged because Hillary's insurmountable lead is about to be narrowed because the head of the FBI is a partisan hack.

I'm depressed at the state of our country's politics. I mean, I've always been woke to the fact that the Republican party was composed of shit. But damn at how willing they are to prove it everyday. .

For no less than the millionth time, everyone knows she is going to win. No problem getting laid or playing games either.

The problem is in downballots, the margins of which can be impacted with a one, two or three point swing. That is the issue. And it is not even remotely farfetched either.

Our goal is to run up the margins to win the Senate and cut into the House significantly. We need a 6-10 point margin. That is what is at stake, and no DIABLOS verb dismissal will change the truth of that reality. This is the last thing we needed to run up the margin.

k. And complaining about Comey is going to help us win the Senate how?

Look, I'm like Hillary. Something bad happens, put your head down look for a solution. Woe is me woe is me isn't going to change anything. Give $5 to someone. See if you can make a few phone calls. Like, maybe do something that will change the dynamic of the race?

Not a read. A suggestion.

And to be clear, no I'm not worried about the senate any more than I was last week. Or yesterday. Or whatever. A lot of you were super upset that the Trump tape didn't hurt down ballot! I can find receipts! So, the idea that something that is baked into the electorate is going to affect our senate candidates just doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Dom Lemon show opens up with Clinton campaign in turmoil. This going to cost Clinton the election because the media is making this out to be more than it is.

Her almost dying on TV wasn't enough to give Trump the win

Keep that in perspective. At no point during this election has Trump had a reasonable path to the White House. Not even during her lowest lows. And this isn't even close to as low as she's gotten.

Sianos

There is not going to be a six to ten point swing because Don Lemon says that the horse race narrative is on.

Counterpoint: maybe all the lazy liberals who would stay home because Hillary is absolutely going to wreck shop are now re-enthused because FUCK! EMAILS! We're going to lose!

Seems just as reasonable a scenario as people simultaneously caring about emails to the point where that alone will depress their vote yet have also flip-flopped on how they feel about emails depending on the day amid a monsoon of email related news.

At worst I expect a slight denting and no House. Still golden for the win and for the Senate.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there

Amen.

Bowdz

Holy shit at Comey's FBI memo. I gave him the benefit of the doubt earlier, but there is no way of seeing this as anything other than incompetence or partisan.

He is basically playing off of the precedent he himself set earlier in the year. He was unprecedented in his transparency of the internal workings of the investigation while it was going on, he was unprecedented in leapfrogging the AG and announcing their findings, he was unprecedented in chastising Clinton after the investigation, he was unprecedented in releasing the notes of agents during the investigation to Congress, and now he is continuing on this trajectory with this. If he was being nonpartisan and actually followed his own precedent across the board, he would be giving us all constant updates on the investigation into Manafort/Russia and the ongoing Russian hacking since those are all as tangentially related to the election as this current break.

If Comey actually wanted to maintain the nonpartisan nature of the FBI, he would have carried out the investigation as though it were any other. No mid investigation updates to Congress, give the recommendation to Lynch, and then shut the fuck up about it in the aftermath. If people on the right don't like it, tough shit, that's what being neutral looks like.

This is like the whole moderator discussion with the debates; as a moderator, you don't want to overly inject yourself and become the story of the debate. Comey just inserted himself in the biggest way possible into the election at the worst time and for no legal reason. That is either incompetence or partisanship at its worst.

Dude, you of all people don't get to tell people to care less and walk away from this thread.
I'm not really sure what "you of all people" means in this instance? But, I don't think I have a reputation for bedwetting. So, okay. And, I didn't say walk away. I said just don't complain. It happened. We can't change it. We have to work through it.

My point is if you're upset by this, try and channel that into something productive.

After all.

Life is terrible, bad things happen. We're all going to turn into dead stars.
Eat at Arby's.

Boke1879

Real talk. The access Hollywood tape didn't hurt downballot.
but somehow this will? I mean I get it. FBI and Clinton doesn't look good, but alot of you project the worst with literally no facts.

We won't know anything numbers wise until like mid next week. What if it shows a small change or no change at all?

AntoneM

It's not about if Clinton will lose, it's about how dragging the fuck out of Comey, because he deserves it.

I would not mind if Clinton keeps Comey but puts the FBI under the harshest scrutiny allowed by law. Like if it requires "regular audits" and/or "regular reviews" (Inspector General) then do that shit every year and stuff like that; then as a result reduce budgets for "unnecessary" things, like conference trips that could be accomplished though internet meetings, paper budgets when more and more functions are paperless, etc.

Effect

Everyone needs a good sleep I think. Nothing we can do other then just get angry and I am but that's just going to make you sick right now I believe. Especailly if you've been reading this crap since it came out. Adam is right though channel that in the best way you can. Me I'm going to try turning in early or watch a movie instead of thinking about something I have no way of impacting right now. I don't want a migraine this entire weekend.

Holy shit at Comey's FBI memo. I gave him the benefit of the doubt earlier, but there is no way of seeing this as anything other than incompetence or partisan.

He is basically playing off of the precedent he himself set earlier in the year. He was unprecedented in his transparency of the internal workings of the investigation while it was going on, he was unprecedented in leapfrogging the AG and announcing their findings, he was unprecedented in chastising Clinton after the investigation, he was unprecedented in releasing the notes of agents during the investigation to Congress, and now he is continuing on this trajectory with this. If he was being nonpartisan and actually followed his own precedent across the board, he would be giving us all constant updates on the investigation into Manafort/Russia and the ongoing Russian hacking since those are all as tangentially related to the election as this current break.

If Comey actually wanted to maintain the nonpartisan nature of the FBI, he would have carried out the investigation as though it were any other. No mid investigation updates to Congress, give the recommendation to Lynch, and then shut the fuck up about it in the aftermath. If people on the right don't like it, tough shit, that's what being neutral looks like.

This is like the whole moderator discussion with the debates; as a moderator, you don't want to overly inject yourself and become the story of the debate. Comey just inserted himself in the biggest way possible into the election at the worst time and for no legal reason. That is either incompetence or partisanship at its worst.

Exactly. Comey is not doing his job. He's influencing elections in the most abnormal of terms. Going out of his way to make an e-mail circus instead of a legit, normal FBI investigation. Holding it up on a pedestal wasn't the right move for impartiality, even if he feels that's what he MUST do for it's political nature. He shouldn't be guided by politics at all.

Expect him to be a regular on Fox News when he gets out.

This is poligaf, nothing done here affects anything. This is a really silly approach to take.
I mean in general. this idea that the strategy should be to have our surrogates attack the FBI, or to try and get Obama to fire him.

Again, I know a ton of us do volunteer with campaigns and whatever. If you're upset, channel that. It'll make you feel better than just rending your garments. I've done the rending garments thing. Doesn't make you feel better!

Amir0x

Banned

Look, I'm like Hillary. Something bad happens, put your head down look for a solution. Woe is me woe is me isn't going to change anything. Give $5 to someone. See if you can make a few phone calls. Like, maybe do something that will change the dynamic of the race?

And to be clear, no I'm not worried about the senate any more than I was last week. Or yesterday. Or whatever. A lot of you were super upset that the Trump tape didn't hurt down ballot! I can find receipts! So, the idea that something that is baked into the electorate is going to affect our senate candidates just doesn't pass the smell test to me.

This isnt a do this or choose that scenario. This election isnt a wii. I dont have to choose between horrendous visuals and hd consoles.

I already volunteer exhaustively, have since i turned 18. Was a lobbyist in Washington, helping to push certain progressive legislation. I phone bank, i canvass, i go to rallies. Ive met and spoke with Hillary, McCain, Romney, Bill, Pelosi and Obama and countless members of the House besides.

The point of saying that is one can call Comey the abominably ignorant partisan hack director and still have plenty of energy to go to work for what you believe in.

If say the totality of this latest Comey partisan hackjob was Hillary loses two points in aggregate, we absolutely will win less House Seats and the Senate chances become perilously close.

So yea, you can stay in that kill with kindness trip. But his career needs to be destroyed, and it will be. He is a partisan piece if detritus unfit for his station. And i am totally energized to see his career in shambles. Just like i am energized to see Dems win the White House and Senate.

witness

This is all it will take gentlemen for us to have our Madame President in 11 days!

3nvPN.png

She's got this, and we will still take the Senate.

Hazmat

I'm not really sure what "you of all people" means in this instance? But, I don't think I have a reputation for bedwetting. So, okay. And, I didn't say walk away. I said just don't complain. It happened. We can't change it. We have to work through it.

My point is if you're upset by this, try and channel that into something productive.

After all.

Life is terrible, bad things happen. We're all going to turn into dead stars.
Eat at Arby's.

What I mean by "you of all people" is that you routinely top the wall of shame for the most posts in one of these threads, sometimes more than doubling the next highest poster. It irks me that you're dismissive of people feeling strongly about something and then discussing it in a discussion thread.

Adam is right.
What I mean by "you of all people" is that you routinely top the wall of shame for the most posts in one of these threads, sometimes more than doubling the next highest poster. It irks me that you're dismissive of people feeling strongly about something and then discussing it in a discussion thread.
He posts a lot so can't say people are overreacting?

With the yelling at me it seems like people just don't like being told their wrong.

Look we all have our own opinions. People disagree.

People have gotten really heated recently

Sianos

"Is the Republican head of the FBI involved in some shenanigans?" is also more interesting of a story than "Daily Email Watch: Look, more emails - 'Hey, the Russians didn't steal these ones' edition".

Maybe it's just my family and their sources, but I have been hearing nothing but talk about how this batch of damning emails will be the one that sinks Hillary for a month now. Who could possibly care about emails now and yet didn't care before? Who cared enough about emails to sit out of the election in protest, was later swayed by Hillary, and yet after all that will be swayed by a hyperbolic headline when the Great Wikileaks Risotto flood didn't do the job... who also is paying too little attention to hear the follow up stories about Comey being "extremely careless".

It's like how Trump's series of deplorable tapes have started to have diminishing returns against him because if people weren't convinced by the first ten, they probably won't be by the eleventh either.

Boke1879

Adam is just trying to get people to calm down. He's not wrong. Hell I've topped the chart and you won't see me bedwet over shit.

Some people would do better to take a step back. digesting politics this much and having this reaction isn't good. I'm not saying don't be worried, but we also aren't the average people. The average person isn't on a forum posting about politics while watching CNN, MSNBC or Fox.

I love Hillary's response to all this. She's forcing the FBI's hand and if they don't have shit they get put in a corner. I'm also pretty sure the rest of the new cycle will be about Comey and the partisanship of the FBI. I think people are going to be concerned about the FBI's actions moreso than what was actually released. Similar to how the DNC hacks coming from Russia overshadowed the actual contents of the e-mails.

I think the fates just needed one more plot twist in this wacky election.

k.
I think there's a difference between discussion and just being emotionally despondent about something that we can't change. But, everyone do you, and if people want to just want to do whatever this is, that's not up to me. I just don't like to see people get so upset about something that we have no control over.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I love Hillary's response to all this. She's forcing the FBI's hand and if they don't have shit they get put in a corner. I'm also pretty sure the rest of the new cycle will be about Comey and the partisanship of the FBI. I think people are going to be concerned about the FBI's actions moreso than what was actually released. Similar to how the DNC hacks coming from Russia overshadowed the actual contents of the e-mails.

I'm certainly a lot less concerned after seeing that internal fbi memo.

Sianos

Also: that hypothetical person is paying enough attention to recognize that this doesn't have anything to do with the "wikileaks" contingent of emails they've heard about for a month but not enough attention to catch the follow up on Comey's partisan actions and the bad optics of his memo.

I was honestly more worried at wikileaks grandstanding - well, only the first couple days - than this. The impact of emails is far, far, far too baked in right now for some clickbait headlines to do damage that other clickbait headlines haven't already done.

Iolo

We still need someone to betray Trump in the final act. The tax return leaked, but that was merely foreshadowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom