• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night in the OT thread there were people losing it over the accusation that Comey was inspired by bias to pull this stunt.

I've been thinking about this entire mess and I just cannot imagine an alternate explanation that makes sense for what he did.

The NPR Politics take was that he backed himself into a corner when he testified to Congress, saying he would update them if new details became available.

would it have been so hard if you were comey to get a programmer to do some sniff tests on the new files to see if they actually had anything (hash signatures vs. the old email bodies, to/fom checks, text search for key markers, etc.)

This is what bugs me-he totally jumped the gun with nothing in the exact kind of situation (near an election) where you have to be careful.

As for Chaffetz-if anyone runs with a story pushed by him without validating source first ever again, they have explaining to so. Also BYU is gross and he validates every stereotype Utes and Aggies have plastered on the zoobs over the years.

shiba5

OK, good news time! Remember my lonely mouse? Last night the Have-a-Heart trap went off and caught what looks suspiciously like one of the wild baby mice I released a few weeks ago - and it's a girl. So Violet, the domestic mouse, has a new friend. She came out of her house, checked out the new weird mouse, and went back to bed.
It's like destiny. ;)

BadRNG

Did anyone watch Spicer on CNN then? What did he say? Smercosh tweeted this, did he say more on air:

Michael SmerconishVerified account
‏@smerconish
.@seanspicer tells me re: @HillaryClinton emails that @HumaAbedin signed legal form saying she had no official emails in her possession

Could that be what this is about, they found left over official emails she thought she deleted?

Caja 117

It's not helpful, but anyone who thinks this will influence voters to not vote for hillary is a moron

"I was voting for hillary but they found emails in weiner's phone oh well guess I'll vote for the orange amoeba dictator."

I think thats rather a limited view on the potential reaction of the voter base.

"Originally I wasnt voting Clinton, Then i Chamged my mind, but the whole email storyline including almost daily feed of new Emails are making me loose interest"

"Im a republican who was sitting down this time around, but this new revelation reminded me that Democrats are very corrupt and careless"

"I was leaning to vote for Clinton but Im tired of the Email scandal"

This Email thing doesnt go to Clinton directly, but masses only read headlines, you see this constantly happen here in Gaf with Threads with misleading titles.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well crud. This is still a headline and none of the headlines are going with it being nothing so far and clear political bullshit from Comey...

Lynch advised Comey against letter to Congress: report

Attorney General Loretta Lynch advised FBI Director James Comey not to send a letter to Congress informing them of the discovery of new emails related to the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server, The New Yorker reported early Saturday.

A source in the Obama administration told the magazine that Lynch argued for following the Justice Department’s practice of not taking actions that could influence the outcome of an election.

Boke1879

I think thats rather a limited view on the potential reaction of the voter base.

"Originally I wasnt voting Clinton, Then i Chamged my mind, but the whole email storyline including almost daily feed of new Emails are making me loose interest"

"Im a republican who was sitting down this time around, but this new revelation reminded me that Democrats are very corrupt and careless"

"I was leaning to vote for Clinton but Im tired of the Email scandal"

This Email thing doesnt go to Clinton directly, but masses only read headlines, you see this constantly happen here in Gaf with Threads with misleading titles.

True but the thing is. The email saga isn't new. It's baked in. Basically is this really going to sway or change anyone's mind? John King said it best. This isn't changing anyone's mind.

Yea Comey is in a real bad spot here

Also if you guys this is going to be the story for the weekend. Don't get hung up over every headline you see.

thebloo

This is the issue

Not to minimize that concern. But one of the "swingy states" newspapers is Salt Lake Tribune!! 2016 is nuts.

Anyway, I don't know if anybody cares, but I made a quick chart to visually show the impact of the "few" on the "many".

LnTB7OO.jpg

Caja 117

True but the thing is. The email saga isn't new. It's baked in. Basically is this really going to sway or change anyone's mind? John King said it best. This isn't changing anyone's mind.

Yea Comey is in a real bad spot here

Also if you guys this is going to be the story for the weekend. Don't get hung up over every headline you see.

I mean , Thats what I want to really believe and Im keeping a positive mind about it, but on the other hand the amount of stupidity going on is scary and this is what favors Trump.

"Never understimate de predictability of stupidity"

Comey is a fuckwit. This is really a Comey scandal not a Clinton one.

This doesn't change mind but it motivates the GOP base to go out and vote.
Well good thing is GOP base isnt enough to win elections. If they want to vote for their rapist candidate, be my guest. Its not bringing in Obama coalition.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Comeygate is a disaster. It's bad for Comey more than Hillary. Trumpkins want him to come clean ASAP because they think he's sitting on bombshell emails. Hillary camp wants him to come clean ASAP because they believe this is a nothing burger dressed in hot sauce. Everyone wants him to release more info. Everyone's qusstioning timing, and that internal memo is "guys im gonna go fuck up, but pls understand". Admitting political outcome influence.

I hope he comes forward on monday with full details and end it with "I am resigning from FBI because I'm a cock up"

Much as we want it to be, there is no way this is worse for Comey. This totally shifts focus to a Clinton scandal a week before election (No matter how uncredible it is). Clinton has enough of a lead that this won't likely affect the Presidential Election, but it could sure as hell impact the close Senate races.

Much as we want it to be, there is no way this is worse for Comey. This totally shifts focus to a Clinton scandal a week before election (No matter how uncredible it is). Clinton has enough of a lead that this won't likely affect the Presidential Election, but it could sure as hell impact the close Senate races.

I don't know. The more info comes out, the more indefensible the letter seems. There's no excuse to send a letter to Jason 'Benghazi' Chaffetz and expect he wouldn't leak it. Democrats and HRC should start being righteously angry and condemning Comey and Chaffetz for this bs

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't know. The more info comes out, the more indefensible the letter seems. There's no excuse to send a letter to Jason 'Benghazi' Chaffetz and expect he wouldn't leak it. Democrats and HRC should start being righteously angry and condemning Comey and Chaffetz for this bs

Yes, but that's not the headline, much as it should be. The headline is just "Clinton Email Scandal returns".

Yes, but that's not the headline, much as it should be. The headline is just "Clinton Email Scandal returns".

Not everywhere (see: NYT editorial board coming out against Comey here). And both sides are now mad at Comey. Reps look stupid for hyping this, and Dems are obviously annoyed. Comey's resignation could be Hillary's first bipartisan action!

OK, good news time! Remember my lonely mouse? Last night the Have-a-Heart trap went off and caught what looks suspiciously like one of the wild baby mice I released a few weeks ago - and it's a girl. So Violet, the domestic mouse, has a new friend. She came out of her house, checked out the new weird mouse, and went back to bed.
It's like destiny. ;)

Finally, some good news. Too bad ratings-obsessed media networks won't report this.

I imagine you're like Cinderella saving mice from various dooms, then giving them names and clothes and ensuring their cooperative livelihood.

This rules. Please do not argue this assumption because my entire reality will collapse.

Also, now I won't feel bad posting more Hair Mouse.

sazzy

everyone keeps repeating downballot but how does this one report effect downballot?

democrats get depressed and don't go out to vote

republicans cheer up and go out and vote

undecideds or on the fence people vote democrat for president but republican down ballot

Grief.exe

everyone keeps repeating downballot but how does this one report effect downballot?

It's possibly reinvigorates moderate Republicans who were depressed votes or going to vote Hillary. Potentially lowers Democrat turn out.

Bad news cycle this close to an election is going to have some kind of effect on the numbers, especially with the chances of taking the House being so razor thin.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What people hear is "Hillary hid more emails, FBI might arrest her eventually, lock her up".

NeoXChaos

The theory is that bad Senate candidates do not get a wave election to push them through. Same for some House seats.

democrats get depressed and don't go out to vote

republicans cheer up and go out and vote

undecideds or on the fence people vote democrat for president but republican down ballot

It's possibly reinvigorates moderate Republicans who were depressed votes or going to vote Hillary. Potentially lowers Democrat turn out.

Bad news cycle this close to an election is going to have some kind of effect on the numbers, especially with the chances of taking the House being so razor thin.

a bad news cycle that will only last for a few days and may be eaten by a Trump story or the press moving on. Polls change rapidly. Don't fret.

Zukkoyaki

Democrat will lean to Trump if he makes her pay for what she's "done"

Yeah

Gotta love how misleading stories like that are. I work in PR/Communications for a decent-sized city government and I can confirm what most already suspects which is local news outlets just keep interviewing people until they get the response they want. It doesn't matter if a dozen other people they spoke with don't give a crap so long as they have the transcript of this one.

I've also seen instances of news straight-up making up quotes. Just happened to our Fire Department PIO/Former Chief two weeks ago.

Pyrokai

Guys, I can't stop thinking about the inevitable impeachment that's coming our way. We better be prepared.

And after 2018 midterms and everything is controlled by GOP again, can they actually succeed in impeaching her?

This all sucks. I was confident we'd get the Senate and make gains in the House and now I'm not expecting it. Will anything get done in the next 4 years? Ugh.....

Someone talk some sense into me because I think I'm back to bed wetting.

Zukkoyaki

We rightfully keep mocking the dude, but Rick Wilson is continuing to insist that the Clinton campaign is sitting on something huge. We've past put up or shut up territory but even if it isn't really much, I'd have to imagine that there is something. You don't spend a month swearing about it for something to not exist regardless of potential impact.

Look at O'Keefe. His stuff was stupid bullshit but at least it existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom