• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
But at this point in the campaign, you need the base to GOTV, and so far, there's no sign of Dem voters turning away. The opposite seems to be happening.

Trump and the Republicans so far are still being vastly outmaneuvered where it counts: In actual votes.

I don't know, I haven't seen any updates on early voting!

Sibylus

Banned
So Comey sets himself on fire trying to save his own ass. That's amusing.

I figured the wind would go out of this news quickly... but not quite like this.

sazzy

If Bill hadn't been a complete dick and hounded Loretta Lynch on the tarmac, none of this would be an issue right now.

royalan

I mean what do you want them to say?

"The Queen demands a blood sacrifice and wants Comey's head on a spike by 5pm"?

How about, "This was gross incompetence that has been met with frustration by high level governing officials, and both sides the aisle. Comey needs to explain why he went against the recommendation of top level DoJ officials, and many in his own department. We also recommend that Comey step down from his post."

Boom. Guys, this isn't hard. Straight talk, not soft talk. Soft talk doesn't get heard, and it's a fucking travesty that Dems STILL haven't learned that.

Joeytj

Banned
So Comey sets himself on fire trying to save his own ass. That's amusing.

I figured the wind would go out of this news quickly... but not quite like this.

He thought that by giving the case special treatment during an election year, he would come out as non-partisan...

Like white people who make a point to black people that "hey, I love black people!" instead of actually just treating them as regular people.

That's the most generous I can be about the characterization of his actions. Either that, or he really is partisan.

sazzy

YGpfNd.png

Sibylus

Banned
He thought that by giving the case special treatment during an election year, he would come out as non-partisan...

Like white people who make a point to black people that "hey, I love black people!" instead of actually just treating them as regular people.

That's the most generous I can be about the characterization of his actions. Either that, or he really is partisan.

The most generous interpretation I can offer is the 'two bad choices' narrative, but his leaked memo banished any sympathy I had for him (and it only gets worse by the day). He willfully disregarded guidance from his own bureau, and I woke up this morning to news that he disregarded guidance from the justice department... there's 'I have a tough decision' and then there's 'I'm my own island and do what I think best'.

shem935

Banned
The most generous interpretation I can offer is the 'two bad choices' narrative, but his leaked memo banished any sympathy I had for him (and it only gets worse by the day). He willfully disregarded guidance from his own bureau, and I woke up this morning to news that he disregarded guidance from the justice department... there's 'I have a tough decision' and then there's 'I'm my own island and do what I think best'.

Yeah this is where it's been moving for me too. Hopefully he steps down on his own after the election.

Blader

That FL number is a little misleading. It's a difference of a few thousand votes, and we are overperforming in the important parts of the state. Plus, NPA is up, and something like a third of Hispanic voters are registered NPA.

Doesn't GOP normally outpace Dems in early voting in FL too, but now with a smaller lead than usual this year?

Kid Heart

Yeah this is where it's been moving for me too. Hopefully he steps down on his own after the election.

I'm going to echo this sentiment as well.

At first I thought Poligaf was overreacting about Comey playing favorites, and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the more I've heard, the more it becomes clear Poligaf's anger was likely justified.

I'd like him to step down after this, even if it will undoubtedly lead to nonstop conspiracies from the far right about how he was so close to catching Clinton before he was axed. At the very least he better come forward on Monday with an explanation, and an apology assuming all the leaked info is true.

Doesn't GOP normally outpace Dems in early voting in FL too, but now with a smaller lead than usual this year?
In absentee, yes. They normally have a 5% lead or so. It was 1.7% this year, I believe. The Florida numbers look good for us. We're doing very well in the I-4 corridor, and something like 40% of our people that have voted would be considered low propensity voters.

In 12, Dems had a 29k lead in the NV early vote at the end of week 1.

In 16, Dems have a 29k lead in the NV early vote at the end of week 1.

In 12, that's was a 8% lead. In 16, that's a 7.5% lead.

So. We're going to win Nevada.

Bowdz

I find it ironic that one of the things Comey dinged Clinton on in July was that she violated various departmental policies with regards to classified information when he himself has now directly violated DoJ policy.

Nice going Jim.

Jackson50

The more that keeps coming out Comey will pretty much be forced to make a statement.

It seems these leaks are coming from within the FBI. I doubt they want their department to be treated like a political tool
Yes, he should. But given his disregard for protocol and highly negligent behavior, I don't expect much from him. He's lost all of his credibility. The first letter even acknowledges that the FBI has yet to fully determine the significance and content of the new e-mails. Yet he released the letter because he thought the new information appeared pertinent. How can you determine that without examining them first? Then he claims in the memo he released to the FBI, because of the acute backlash he reportedly received from within, that his motivation was to not mislead the American people. But that's exactly what he did. He's undermined his own stated motivation. The media bears a modicum of responsibility for this nonsense because of its careless coverage. But given the ambiguity of his letter, the fault ultimately rests on Comey. Now Republicans are erroneously claiming that Comey's letter proves Clinton's guilt. Paul Ryan even suggested that she should stop receiving intelligence briefings. What a load of crap, and it all comes courtesy of James Comey.
I refuse to believe Comey was just some clueless dumbass that got played by the GOP's hands. Chaffetz is despicable but Comey knew exactly what he was doing.
Let's dispel once and for all with the fiction that James Comey doesn't know what he is doing. He knows exactly what he is doing. And here’s the bottom line. This notion that James Comey doesn’t know what he’s doing is just not true. He knows exactly what he’s doing. And I think that anyone who believes that James Comey isn’t doing what he’s doing on purpose doesn’t understand what we’re dealing with here, okay?

Wilsongt

Officials from the Department of Justice have anonymously told multiple news outlets that FBI Director James Comey was warned that sending out that letter about new pertinent emails regarding Hillary Clinton would be in violation of department policy.

One anonymously told The Washington Post, “Director Comey understood our position. He heard it from Justice leadership. It was conveyed to the FBI, and Comey made an independent decision to alert the Hill. He is operating independently of the Justice Department. And he knows it.”

Meanwhile, both CNN and ABC News are reporting that this warning even came from the top––both AG Loretta Lynch and Deputy AG Sally Yates strongly objected to this.

They were clearly frustrated with this politically-tinged disclosure so close to election day, but as Comey explained in his internal letter yesterday, he felt it was best in the name of transparency.

Time to sack Comey?

Blader

Anyway, I'm early voting today (MA) and the only part of the ballot I'm genuinely conflicted on is question 3, re: cage-free eggs and veal/pork. My first thought was that it seems like a no-brainer, but the argument that the increase in cost would disproportionately impact lower-income people who rely on cheap eggs for protein in their diets. What that increase is doesn't seem certain, hence my reluctance to just automatically vote yes.

The question has something like 66 percent support so all the handwringing is kind of a moot point. But I didn't expect to be wrestling with whether or not to mandate cage-free livestock so much :lol

I'd like to point out how night and day the crisis response has been on this incident. It helps that they are working with inside information (Huma is smart, told them what Comey might have) and they can go pedal to the metal aggressive, but the messaging has been on point and delivered in a clear way.

Much better than the summer of middling responses over emails, and slightly better than the way they handled the sick episode around 9/11.

Hopefully this kind of go for the kill repsonse approach will make its way to the Clinton WH.

edit: Comey getting torn apart from within the FBI via leaks. FBI is political but it's not partisan-it's an institution that will play politics to protect and help itself. Comey's not helping the agency, so out come the knives.

i can't even get on twitter because i literally become enraged at all the news/leaks about comey's decision making process. such horseshit.

ctothej

So I've spent the last hour catching up with this email "scandal" and... could someone explain what I'm missing? I really don't understand why this is a big deal. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why Anthony Weiner's investigation would hurt Clinton or downticket races. Are there actually people out there hearing about this and changing their votes? Even though I disagree with their reasoning, I understood how the previous email saga (and how it played out in the media) turned people off from Clinton. But this just seems like a total nonstory.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Going to drop off my ballot now.

+1 for Hillary
+1 for Michael Bennet (Senator)
+1 Morgan Carroll (CO-6, one of the toss up Congressional Districts)

protip to Dem Preidents: don't apoint Republicans to anything

Obama decided to give Comey an extension, he has to own up for being bipartisan in his apointments.

Sianos

So I've spent the last hour catching up with this email "scandal" and... could someone explain what I'm missing? I really don't understand why this is a big deal. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why Anthony Weiner's investigation would hurt Clinton or downticket races. Are there actually people out there hearing about this and changing their votes? Even though I disagree with their reasoning, I understood how the previous email saga (and how it played out in the media) turned people off from Clinton. But this just seems like a total nonstory.

There were dramatic headlines yesterday claiming that these emails were the real October surprise and that the investigation was back on... When Coney had no idea what was in the emails and the investigation was in fact not back on.

Of course, every new daily Risotto recipe dump was also treated as The Batch Of Emails That Would End Hillary by the right, so the only difference this time is the word "investigation" being erroneously invoked.

Nafai1123

Banned
I find it ironic that one of the things Comey dinged Clinton on in July was that she violated various departmental policies with regards to classified information when he himself has now directly violated DoJ policy.

Nice going Jim.

One could say his actions were extremely careless.

Edit: Top of the page? Have a baby Ted Cruz

665r8xq8kfux.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom