• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump has probably made South Korea and Japan a bigger part of his campaign than anyone else recently.

Not sure why he's so interested in fucking with two of our closest allies, but maybe he just hates Asians.

he also lumps South Korea and Japan with China when talking about USA losing jobs to. aka bad deals

Well it was a thing now they're onto a hashtag about the debate

If this primary season has taught me anything, it's that hashtag movements are worthless. Pretty much no one outside of those actively involved in them and those who follow politics as a hobby (AKA poligaf) are ever aware that they're even happening.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I used to think reddit bernie fans were likely to switch to trump after the primaries, but it's really a night and day difference looking at r/the_donald and r/politics or r/SandersForPresident.

It's pretty clear at this point that all of Trump's popularity comes primarily from straight up unapologetic racism and sexism, not anti-elitism and anti-corporatism, which I don't really see coming from sanders supporters at all. Even those dreaded "bernie bros" people here focus on never come close to the average post at r/the_donald.

If this primary season has taught me anything, it's that hashtag movements are worthless. Pretty much no one outside of those actively involved in them and those who follow politics as a hobby (AKA poligaf) are ever aware that they're even happening.
I just find it funny. There's a new one every couple of days. I just shrug and move on most of the time now. #whichhillary happened like 3 days before the SC primary and boy it cost her that state didn't it.

BLM started as a hashtag, *shrug*

There's a lot of dumb ones though.

BLM started as a hashtag, *shrug*

There's a lot of dumb ones though.

I was thinking more about hashtags specifically related to minute campaign gaffes and things like that. BLM is in a different category of social activism imo. You're right though, BLM has been really effective and proof that hashtagtivism isn't entirely fruitless.

It had actual, immediate reasons behind it. Substance. Squabbling over whether or not your favorite candidate gets another debate is pretty much nonsense.

Yeah, I'm not going to disagree that the hashtags based on nothing that Bernie fans get to trend off perseverance alone are worthless. But #WhichHillary is pretty dumb regardless of if it was in a hashtag or not.

Source?

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/?m...Collection=Opinion&region=TopBar&pgtype=Blogs

That sounds like one of those vastly exaggerated claims of benefit, but maybe Krugman agrees with you about the figure. He's been off his rocker this year waffling a tad on some of the stuff that made his career as an academic.
It's not the sole reason but it's a principal one.

Economic growth in developing economies has driven poverty reduction. Approximately 2/3 is attributed to growth while a third is increased equality.
http://www.economist.com/news/leade...out-extreme-poverty-20-years-world-should-aim

The main drivers of that growth have been freer markets and freer trade.

Does anyone really think China would have grown as it has without establishing PNTR with the US or entry to the WTO?

BLM's definitely the most effective movement this decade in America.
Definitely. I'm pretty stubborn so it takes a lot to break me of my biases, my way of thinking. BLM did that. I'm naive to different cultures, and I attribute that to growing up in Idaho. I didn't know anything about white privilege because it's impossible to know it and own it until you've been shown it.

BLM really did open my eyes up to the terrible shit that goes down to those who are not me. I resisted at first, thinking they must be doing something wrong. I mean, they have to be, right? Why else would they be arrested or even shot? It took an embarrassing amount of time for me to realize my own bias and break myself of it. I hope more people have done the same.

Kyosaiga

Banned
Definitely. I'm pretty stubborn so it takes a lot to break me of my biases, my way of thinking. BLM did that. I'm naive to different cultures, and I attribute that to growing up in Idaho. I didn't know anything about white privilege because it's impossible to know it and own it until you've been shown it.

BLM really did open my eyes up to the terrible shit that goes down to those who are not me. I resisted at first, thinking they must be doing something wrong. I mean, they have to be, right? Why else would they be arrested or even shot? It took an embarrassing amount of time for me to realize my own bias and break myself of it. I hope more people have done the same.

Unfortunately MM, if even 1 in 10 had your level of epiphany, there'd be some massive changes.

But...we don't.

Sanders raised $4M after the weekend wins.

Impressive. But less than the $5M after the Michigan win. Wondering if those who can are now hitting the cap (ratio of small v. large has been dropping over time), while those who can't are getting tapped out. I thought the size of the wins would have spurred post-NH like fundraising.

Impressive. But less than the $5M after the Michigan win. Wondering if those who can are now hitting the cap (ratio of small v. large has been dropping over time), while those who can't are getting tapped out. I thought the size of the wins would have spurred post-NH like fundraising.

Well as the primaries and caucuses come and go there are fewer and fewer states to pour money into. We're passed the halfway point aren't we?

Was there ever resolution to the money he had to return? The over donations? The donations from foreign nationals? Some estimates had it at several million I believe.

Well as the primaries and caucuses come and go there are fewer and fewer states to pour money into. We're passed the halfway point aren't we?

There are fewer states, but a lot of them are a lot more expensive to advertise in.With his relatively low cash on hand, he might be limited to spending if he's not sure how much more is going to come in.

Crocodile

This post warms my heart to read <3

This is just conjecture, but I'd imagine that people are less likely to stay engaged in the campaigns after their own state has voted. I would guess there's an "I did my part" effect after someone's state primary/caucus has come and gone.

It's hard for me to gauge over here in June 7th land though.

pcnKFm5.jpg

Edit: Added Birdie Sanders
Amazing.

Was there ever resolution to the money he had to return? The over donations? The donations from foreign nationals? Some estimates had it at several million I believe.
I think you're overly excited by this...

You can move excess donations to a GE fund.

Also I highly highly doubt it was several million. That's implausible.

CCS

Banned
Man I wish Sanders would give it up already. This is like playing chess and having a queen and two pawns on the seventh and your opponent won't concede because they just checked your king with a knight, despite the fact it's their only piece left.

I think you're overly excited by this...

You can move excess donations to a GE fund.

Also I highly highly doubt it was several million. That's implausible.

To be clear, I don't think he did anything wrong intentionally, nor do I think it's a big issue. I just thought the deadline for them to respond was last week, and I hadn't heard anything about it.

They can't move the foreign national funds. I wasn't sure if they were refunded and no one had mentioned it. I know this happens all the time, but there were quite a few of them and I just never heard what happened.

I know there were 1300 from the 4th quarter of 2015 and the most recent one had 3400 or so. No idea of the totals, though. I'm not that invested to do the math.

Man I wish Sanders would give it up already. This is like playing chess and having a queen and two pawns on the seventh and your opponent won't concede because they just checked your king with a knight, despite the fact it's their only piece left.

I have a Flintstone chess set. /random

Their campaign has become assholish to Hillary, imagine if Bernie was doing this to Warren .

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Their campaign has become assholish to Hillary, imagine if Bernie was doing this to Warren .

Meh. It's just as desperate as Hillary was in 08. I don't mean this as a "But Hillary." Sanders' campaign team is pathetic and talentless. He is in his death throes. That's K though because it will be over on April 19.

edit: I mean for real. It's been over for like a month but whatever.

edit2: I mean not really for real. He's going to go to the convention!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think Bernie's been that bad. I think he's been annoying, because the shit they're trying to use is just not good. Like...I don't mind people going rough (Shut up CCS) as long as they end up with something to show for it.

I think a lot of it is petty, half truths and insinuations, but ya...I just don't like hiding behind "I don't do negative" when you're totally doing it. That's fine. Just own it.

Y2Kev

Bernie is fine. Every time he goes negative the Clintonista media starts ignoring him again. His campaign team is pathetic though. I have no problem saying as much. Also pathetic is Kasie Hunt from MSNBC.

Y2Kev

Corey Lewandowski seems to be doing pretty well. Assault women and run a moron and win

CCS

Banned
I don't think you can do worse than the current flock running the Republican gangs..

Corey Lewandowski seems to be doing pretty well. Assault women and run a moron and win

Christ, I completely forgot about Lewandowski. So we're now at the point where only one of the leading contenders for President has a competent campaign manager.

(I'm assuming Cruz's must be useless, because no competent and sane individual would be able to subject themselves to involvement with him) :p

Maledict

Cruz has, by far and away, the sharpest campaign team on the Republican side. In some respects it's a bit like Obama's team in 2008 - they know the rules of the game better than anyone, and are using those rules to their advantage.

Cruz was suppossed to be another Huckabee or Santorum - someone who won Iowa then flamed out, Instead, if Trump weren't in the race he would probably have won by now, even even with TRump he's managed to get the establishment backing despite being the most loathed man in Washington.

Cruz is many despicable things, but in terms of running a campaign they have for the most part been on the ball and sharp as nails.

Bernie supporters are far worse to me than Clinton's supporters in '08. Mainly because the amount of negativity coming from them is shocking. It's ugly & personal. Allegations of corruption over Arizona are absurd.

Bernie supporters are far worse to me than Clinton's supporters in '08. Mainly because the amount of negativity coming from them is shocking. It's ugly & personal. Allegations of corruption over Arizona are absurd.

I definitely don't think they are worse, they just seem worse because of the explosion of things like twitter and reddit giving the crazies much more of a voice

Christ, I completely forgot about Lewandowski. So we're now at the point where only one of the leading contenders for President has a competent campaign manager.

(I'm assuming Cruz's must be useless, because no competent and sane individual would be able to subject themselves to involvement with him) :p

Plus, Mook plays for our team. And he's hot. Which, you know, if Grindr has taught us anything, is more important than being competent. /s

We weren't all bad. Some of us were just slightly annoying. The problem I had was I knew it was over, and I was just upset by the whole thing.

CCS

Banned
Plus, Mook plays for our team. And he's hot. Which, you know, if Grindr has taught us anything, is more important than being competent. /s

We weren't all bad. Some of us were just slightly annoying. The problem I had was I knew it was over, and I was just upset by the whole thing.

Well competence and talent is itself hot. It's an infinite loop!

noshten

Absurd?

Voters call for 're-vote' during hearing into AZ's botched primary

Yes absurd. Thinking Hillary or DNC fixed Arizona is absurd.

The silence on the issue from the DNC and Hillary - speaks loud and clear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom