• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

If a repeal or not poll was put in front of me with no nuance and the only solution is black and white... I'd vote repeal

And McGinty is shit.

Bowdz

Is this in response to something Hillary said?

No. A mother of a Sandy Hook victim has asked Sanders to apologize for his repeated position about not allowing them to sue gun manufacturers. The Clinton campaign has only briefly brought up his position, but haven't asked him to apologize to the best of my understanding.

Lol the snapchat filter
eSbIRtu.jpg

Honestly I'll defend him. The question is ludicrous and he posits a similar analogy for Hillary. That being said...you don't want to say that shit out loud, Sanders. Let someone on Reddit say that and get upvoted 2000 times.

You can say the question is ludicrous without proposing an equally ludicrous question that also serves as a thinly veiled parrot of one of your common attack lines. By acknowledging that conceit, he is in a way validating the question posed to him.

To understand what the whole Sanders and guns thing is about, you have to start off by understanding that they're basically the only industry that has immunity from these lawsuits because of the bill Sanders voted for. That's the issue at hand.

I'm all for repealing the 2nd. Mainly because I don't agree with the modern interpretation and gun violence is a big deal and really I don't believe in a right to own a gun.

But I'm more than willing to compromise. And I understand that people love their guns. But for fuck's sake, at the very least, why can't we force gun owners to be trained well?

There are other countries with guns and they don't fuck shit up like we do because they're trained properly on them and their society values them differently than we do.

But then again, we do this shit with everything. Look at how easy a drivers license is to achieve. It's a god damned joke. 80% of our drivers would fail a drivers test in Germany. I can't take it, every day I drive i feel like some moron on his phone is going to kill me :(

PBY

Banned
I love Big Don, but its supremely shitty that he's being used to paint Cruz as some kind of party unifier. The NRO is slurping him now.

TED FUCKING CRUZ.

Also repeal the 2nd.

Holmes

To understand what the whole Sanders and guns thing is about, you have to start off by understanding that they're basically the only industry that has immunity from these lawsuits because of the bill Sanders voted for. That's the issue at hand.
Follow the money?

Bowdz

I'm all for repealing the 2nd. Mainly because I don't agree with the modern interpretation and gun violence is a big deal and really I don't believe in a right to own a gun.

But I'm more than willing to compromise. And I understand that people love their guns. But for fuck's sake, at the very least, why can't we force gun owners to be trained well?

There are other countries with guns and they don't fuck shit up like we do because they're trained properly on them and their society values them differently than we do.

But then again, we do this shit with everything. Look at how easy a drivers license is to achieve. It's a god damned joke. 80% of our drivers would fail a drivers test in Germany. I can't take it, every day I drive i feel like some moron on his phone is going to kill me :(

I could not agree more. Excellent post.

hawk2025

Confession time:

I failed the California driving test. Twice.

T'Zariah

Banned

Well, to get a license in Germany costs about $2000. So...yeah, there's also that.

CCS

Banned
The light is the only true choice, one must stand against the dark.

Do not go gentle into that good night...

Confession time:

I failed the California driving test. Twice.

Like, the written part of the driving part? You can get caught up in the written test if you get a few technical details question (like how many days to file an accident with the DMV) if you don't look it up. Or you can fail the driving portion cuz you're 16 and nervous.

But really, it's a walk in the park. I had a question that had the stop sign on it and it asked me what it meant given multiple choice! And the driving in Cali is routine. No freeway, just a couple blocks. If you don't run a stop sign/red light, signal, and don't crash, you'll pass.

On the flip side, I sued to have a class B license (in my youth I drove those big Ford 15 passenger vans during a summer job) and that test was real. I had to show all the parts under the hood and how it was in working order. I had to drive freeway, parallel park. I even had to reverse onto a cone I could not see and come within like 6 inches and if I touch it it's an auto fail (do you know how hard this was in those vans pre-rear view mirror days?)

This is a real test, damn it! We already have it in place! Sorry, ranting.

Anyway, we are the 1%
CfY_19HWIAEtssu.jpg:large

GYODX

Lol @ someone saying "that's the only thing he has on her!" in that Twitter post. I mean, the last thing you'd want anyone to have on you is the fact that you had a literal role in arguably the single worst decision of the 21st century and the approval of a war that led to hundreds of thousands of deaths. And that you also voted against an amendment that would have made military action in Iraq pursuant to a UN resolution, 'cause acting unilaterally has worked out so well. Hillary's comments on foreign policy make it pretty clear that she's on board with leveraging US hegemony at the expense of others and our international standing. Obama's the only one who knew how to walk the line between not being imperialistic assholes and being assertive in ensuring our global interests, it seems.

On that note, Bibi must be pretty damn ecstatic for Hillary to replace Obama already.

There was no parallel parking in the Los Angeles test when I took it. Which is a god damn joke because you have to parallel park all the time.

And people here can barely park in a parking lot, let alone the street. Fucking worst. WORST. But I could go on for days and days about driving.

Especially anyone who owns a Prius. WORST FUCKING DRIVERS of all time. I hate every one of you to my core.

hawk2025

Like, the written part of the driving part? You can get caught up in the written test if you get a few technical details question (like how many days to file an accident with the DMV) if you don't look it up. Or you can fail the driving portion cuz you're 16 and nervous.

But really, it's a walk in the park. I had a question that had the stop sign on it and it asked me what it meant given multiple choice! And the driving in Cali is routine. No freeway, just a couple blocks. If you don't run a stop sign/red light, signal, and don't crash, you'll pass.

On the flip side, I sued to have a class B license (in my youth I drove those big Ford 15 passenger vans during a summer job) and that test was real. I had to show all the parts under the hood and how it was in working order. I had to drive freeway, parallel park. I even had to reverse onto a cone I could not see and come within like 6 inches and if I touch it it's an auto fail (do you know how hard this was in those vans pre-rear view mirror days?)

This is a real test, damn it! We already have it in place! Sorry, ranting.

The driving part, the writing part was trivial and I got 100% on first try.

Leave the 2nd in place. Introduce harsher penalties on those who are irresponsible with their guns, make mental health care more available so people don't choose to shoot themselves as often.

Actually straw poll or whatever. I'm curious on whether and where people would fall on repealing the second amendment. Setting aside the impossibility.
Even though I think -some- firearms have -some- entirely legitimate use and have some actual practical purposes (off the top of my head: hunting, murderous wildlife and self-protection in extremely rural areas away from law enforcement), if the only options were yes/no? I'd want a full repeal. Guns do so much more harm than good. There's no comparison.

Ideally I'd like to ban semi-automatic weapons. Would allow things like bolt-action rifles and shotguns for registered rural users to be available.

The idea was they'd not only force gun makers and sellers to take self-policing themselves, in terms of who they sold to, far more seriously, since most of them don't give a rat's ass about it, but it also led to the guns being made safer. One lawsuit actually managed to get better trigger guards and safeties put on handguns.

I think we can make the argument more simple. No one is saying gun makers should be sued for every gun attack. But, the idea of essentially blanket immunity for an entire industry is legally problematic. A lot of theses cases never get to trial, because they're immediately dismissed. That's the stuff we should all take issue with, in my opinion.
The ATF can't do anything about any of this?

Thing is the regulations already exist. Look at the requirements for silencers or automatic weapons. There is strict and working registration, inheritance and more strict background checks for those items. If we simply upped the requirements to Tge level of silencers we would have a much better grip on the amount of guns out there.

The ATF can't do anything about any of this?

the ATF has basically been castrated by the GOP.

Thing is the regulations already exist. Look at the requirements for silencers or automatic weapons. There is strict and working registration, inheritance and more strict background checks for those items. If we simply upped the requirements to Tge level of silencers we would have a much better grip on the amount of guns out there.

I agree, there are numerous ways to go about reducing gun violence. I don't believe there's only 1 approach and I don't believe we can't try numerous things. What we can't do is do nothing or loosen gun laws, which is mostly what we do.

I remember being told that the parallel parking part of the driving test would be easy because they'd use a nice big space. Instead they gave me a space that was barely big enough and it was on a hill to boot. I still passed.

When I moved to Chicago I had to take the written test again. Wisconsin and Ohio only made me take a vision test (and of course prove identity and residence). Ohio was the most annoying since between getting plates and getting a license I had to go to three different buildings (two were in the same strip mall but I had to go back-and-forth between them, the other was farther away), then go elsewhere for an inspection. My wife had it even worse since, after a bunch of waiting, she found out she needed to bring our marriage license because of her name change. Why do they make things so difficult when you already have to deal with living in Ohio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom