• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
He is doing way better than everyone ever expected. He is running an historic campaign considering the context of his status, the popularity of Obama and Clinton political power that has only become expontentially bigger than it was during 2008. Saying otherwise is revisionism.

I am legit curious as to how this election cycle will be remembered five-six years from now in general, and the various little ripples it'll send out in the future.

Edit: mostly with regards to the Republican party. This is their lowest so far, but can they go lower?

Allard

He is doing way better than everyone ever expected. He is running an historic campaign considering the context of his status, the popularity of Obama and Clinton political power that has only become expontentially bigger than it was during 2008. Saying otherwise is revisionism.

He has definitely met or exceeded what I thought he was going to be able to do but its far from historic. He is still getting trounced despite being competitive in key locations. Its like arguing a historic or competitive race for Romney or McCain when they won their nominations, no one remembers who was running against them because despite them both having stumbles and losing key states the primary was decided fairly early on. The main difference is this race is versus a clinton, and there is only one other candidate because everyone else bowed out early because they knew they couldn't win, due to this Bernie is as much a candidate with a message as is he the candidate who isn't Hilary Clinton, much like all the "Not Romney" candidates people that kept getting propped up, except unlike Romney a majority actually still like Hilary Clinton and would be happy with her as the candidate (In the democratic Primary I mean, GE is still up in the air as none of those polls can be trusted this far out).

Holmes

I'm going to guess

NY - +10
PA - +20
MD - +25
DE - +5
CT - +8
RI - +2

Btw if Hillary wins all of them she'll have won 8 of the 18 states to vote Dem every election since 92 to Bernie's 7 (CA, NJ, OR will have yet to vote). Sorry New Hampshire, you could have been in this exclusive club too, thanks for President Bush.
These will be the margins. Bookmark this Aaron.

NY - +20
PA - +18
MD - +32
DE - +12
CT - +6
RI - +3

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People who say an historic are basic!!!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
He has definitely met or exceeded what I thought he was going to be able to do but its far from historic. He is still getting trounced despite being competitive in key locations. Its like arguing a historic or competitive race for Romney or McCain when they won their nominations, no one remembers who was running against them because despite them both having stumbles and losing key states the primary was decided fairly early on. The main difference is this race is versus a clinton, and there is only one other candidate because everyone else bowed out early because they knew they couldn't win, due to this Bernie is as much a candidate with a message as is he the candidate who isn't Hilary Clinton, much like all the "Not Romney" candidates people that kept getting propped up, except unlike Romney a majority actually still like Hilary Clinton and would be happy with her as the candidate (In the democratic Primary I mean, GE is still up in the air as none of those polls can be trusted this far out).

I think he means historic in the sense that Bernie is funding his campaign in a way everyone said was impossible, and that kind of spits in the face that large campaign donations from the rich are a 'necessary evil.' It's momentous not because of his opponent, but by how much money he was able to pull together in the untraditional way.

I think he means historic in the sense that Bernie is funding his campaign in a way everyone said was impossible, and that kind of spits in the face that large campaign donations from the rich are a 'necessary evil.' It's momentous not because of his opponent, but by how much money he was able to pull together in the untraditional way.

What's so historic about a ponzi scheme?

ivysaur12

Banned
CfZcMweWIAAyNVD.jpg

legit l o l

Holmes

32?!?!

o.o

What.
In a closed Maryland primary, where everyone voting will be Democrats, the vast bulk of voters will be black, and a large share of the white vote will be either government workers or affluent. The Virginia primary gave us a good sneak peek at how the DC suburbs in Maryland will vote:

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/virginia

In NoVA (many of the vote being affluent and government workers) - Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Prince William - Clinton won everything with 63 - 69% of the vote (in an open primary). And the most recent Maryland polls have Clinton winning the state by 30-32%. The state is literally no man's land for Sanders except for the eastern panhandle that touches West Virginia but those counties will only comprise of about 5% of the vote in a Democratic primary.

Allard

Did Bernie insult Maryland's cancer ridden grandma? Why would he lose to such a degree in Maryland?

Maryland has a fairly large minority population I believe (Think African American makes up 30% of the overall population) and is essentially the suburb of DC considering the major population locations which tends to support picks held by overall leadership of the party. Basically its demographics match closely with Virginia which Hilary won by 29%.

Zona

Are you black?

If so, it might not matter who you support...

Stay safe, especially if your're a minority...

Lilly white, so I'm safe on that count. Whole crowd is as white as a klan brunch. This is madness, when they stopped letting people in I thought there was going to be a riot.

I feel like I'm on drugs! This is word salad!

Now are you ready for this is playing, I can't tell if it's over.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm going to guess

NY - +10
PA - +20
MD - +25
DE - +5
CT - +8
RI - +2

Btw if Hillary wins all of them she'll have won 8 of the 18 states to vote Dem every election since 92 to Bernie's 7 (CA, NJ, OR will have yet to vote). Sorry New Hampshire, you could have been in this exclusive club too, thanks for President Bush.

I would say that Delaware's margin is probably a tad shy of where it'll be (same with New York's)) but otherwise, eyah.

hawk2025

I don't expect this to be a popular opinion:

I'd rather indirectly tax rich people and have George Clooney pay for a campaign.

Cap donations and regulate influence. The influence difference in a nationwide campaign bought from $2700 and $27 donations is zero.

The thing about Sanders is that the people who follow him believe he is the great transcendent figure but those of us following the metrics outside of that can see that he is not. The turnout numbers are down, his coalition is not broad, and just comparing his charisma and personality to people like Obama and Reagan and JFK you see he's too one-dimensional to be like them.

He's just not that kind of figure.

I give Sanders a lot of credit, because energizing any amount of people to do anything, especially to continually fund and vocally advocate for a nearly year-long national primary campaign, one that is well to the left of any remotely credible campaign in recent political memory. He's not the figure he should have been, because he's just too personally narrow and politically myopic, but he's a good guy and a valuable voice to have in the political conversation. I think it's probably better he not be president, because he'll be more valuable as a Cato-like figure in the Senate, anyway.

Makai

B-dubs and Makai

Do you want to try to hit up the Nightly Show sometime soon? The one with larry wilmore

and Adam, you promised your gamertage today. I need to add you.
Yeah. Just tell me the night and I can probably make it. Get off work at 6 near Empire State building

Holmes

I actually think Trump's biggest mistake was going negative on Cruz, no matter who started it. I think he could've made a good deal with Cruz to be his VP in exchange for his delegates' support and would've won the nomination. I think it's still possible, they might go ahead with it and do some "party unity" shtick like Obama and Clinton did in 08, but under the surface it would be bullshit and there would probably be a lot of tension. So I hope it happens.

The students will flood the streets of DC, and MAKE the people of DC vote for Bernie.
It's a caucus! They just need to flood the caucus locations.

Holmes

Sanders won 16 delegates in Vermont right? DC is worth 20, she would need to win over 80% of the vote for her to even get 16. Would be funny but I seriously don't see it happening.

Sanders won 16 delegates in Vermont right? DC is worth 20, she would need to win over 80% of the vote for her to even get 16. Would be funny but I seriously don't see it happening.

I can see it. DC is 50% black and the white population doesn't fit at all into the groups Bernie has been doing well with. DC has prospered under Obama, nobody here wants to change his policies.

watershed

Banned

Bernie's funding numbers are amazing, but how effective those numbers have been for him or would be for other candidates is questionable. What I mean is, he is consistently out-raising and outspending Hillary, but she has raised a lot (and I think more) for her general election fund, and she and her groups have stopped or significantly slowed spending on this primary already. That money is being saved for the GE. Also, he has not been attacked the way another candidate would have been, even the way Obama was attacked by Hillary in 08, so his popularity or success is skewed by both democrats and the GOP treating him with kid gloves.

ampere

Actually straw poll or whatever. I'm curious on whether and where people would fall on repealing the second amendment. Setting aside the impossibility.

Yea, get rid of it. Guns should have waiting periods and serious background checks for people to get. Having it as some basic right is nuts

Gay gaf do you want me to upload my video of Mook's speech?

Yeah. Just tell me the night and I can probably make it. Get off work at 6 near Empire State building

You'd have to take a half day or get off early. I can get the tickets and wait in line (they hand out tickets earlier) but everybody has to be there at like 430 in hells kitchen.

I'll email them. Their ticket staff is awesome.

Bernie's funding numbers are amazing, but how effective those numbers have been for him or would be for other candidates is questionable. What I mean is, he is consistently out-raising and outspending Hillary, but she has raised a lot (and I think more) for her general election fund, and she and her groups have stopped or significantly slowed spending on this primary already. That money is being saved for the GE. Also, he has not been attacked the way another candidate would have been, even the way Obama was attacked by Hillary in 08, so his popularity or success is skewed by both democrats and the GOP treating him with kid gloves.

It doesn't help that his campaign doesn't seem to be well equipped to handle more than 3 states voting at once on the same day. He doesn't have the luxury to pick and choose his battlefields- he has to contest all of them at this point.

Lmao the 2 candidate's campaigns getting feisty on Twitter.

Mets fan would love who Bernie's campaign linked to

if its the intercept bernie has lost all good will.

and I got into my first facebook spat of the season since things are heating up in New York. I said the revolution is Bullshit because they lost the supreme court race and my bernie friend who is a cool dude got all pissed and was saying I was tearing the party apart and I shouldn't look down on bernie supporters.

I was happy today at the rally with the Teachers Union. Those women (and some men) are gonna put in real non-phonebanking, reddit work.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Nobody I've seen has argued this. That is a straw man. Obama never needed to make the youth vote his central pillar.

Arguing for such a comparison is ludicrous.

It's just an opinion. If you see a problem within it that needs to be argued it's your problem not mine. I believe Bernie has been more effective organizing/harnessing youth in his primary campaign than Obama - that's been basically it and I was questioned about it.

The only issue people see in it is #1: They believe to the contrary (and that is ok) or #2: Feel bothered by someone spouting the opinion that Bernie is doing something better with youth than Obama (and I won't assume the reasons for that even if I can take wild guesses as to why).

If anything, Bernie is doing way way way worse than he should be given the context.

If by worse you mean beating Hillary? Can't do worse other than come close second?

So are they facebanking?

canvassing.

wtf is facebanking?

Politicians up here in the city of course like money but Union endorsements are worth more. I worked at one of the most powerful in the city. You don't want to know how much effort and hard work we did, those were stressful days, 12-14 hour days. But shit got done. Its why the right hates unions so much.

Makai

You'd have to take a half day or get off early. I can get the tickets and wait in line (they hand out tickets earlier) but everybody has to be there at like 430 in hells kitchen.

I'll email them. Their ticket staff is awesome.
Can't. Just started and no vacation days accrued :,(

Can't. Just started and no vacation days accrued :,(

When do you let me know. Seriously the tickets are super easy.

I'll let you and B-dubs know about the the watch party for the returns.

Are you voting up here? Cause if so I can put you in touch with some Bernie or Hillary people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom