• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
True I could. Though I like to stand in solidarity with fellow Americans, the same ones being denied health care and left to die on the street while their leaders play international police and pander to the 1%. What can I say, maybe l should just turn a blind eye to suffering and become a stone-cold person who cares naught for the plight of the poor...

...just like Hillary.

You realize that Bernie's stance on trade would throw literally millions of people around the world into the sort of poverty that makes being poor in the US or Canada look like a pool party right? Or are we just going to ignore that fact because it doesn't mesh with your narrative?

ivysaur12

Banned
True I could. Though I like to stand in solidarity with fellow Americans, the same ones being denied health care and left to die on the street while their leaders play international police. What can I say, maybe l should just turn a blind eye to suffering and become a stone-cold person who cares naught for the plight of the poor...

...just like Hillary.

Ah yes, the Hillary that was instrumental in one of the most important pieces of healthcare legislation our country saw between Medicare and the ACA.

She's only providing low-income children with healthcare because she wants their vote.

True I could. Though I like to stand in solidarity with fellow Americans, the same ones being denied health care and left to die on the street while their leaders play international police and pander to the 1%. What can I say, maybe l should just turn a blind eye to suffering and become a stone-cold person who cares naught for the plight of the poor...

...just like Hillary.

And yet...

Bernie works with these people!

*cries*

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Do you think the winner of the election gets to ask a djinn for three wishes or some shit? You want to stand in solidarity with the same people you are throwing under the bus for your smug moral satisfaction?

bernie voted in support of basically every intervention in the last 20 years that wasn't the 2002 AUMF that came up for a vote (including Somalia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan, and multiple appropriations bills), even tacitly supported that with his other votes related to regime change (chief among them the 1998 "Iraqi Liberation Act"), has cumulatively voted for at least $7.36 billion in military aid to Israel, and voted against closing Guantanamo 10 years ago

and yet somehow he isn't one of these international policemen

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ah yes, the Hillary that was instrumental in one of the most important pieces of healthcare legislation our country saw between Medicare and the ACA.

She's only providing low-income children with healthcare because she wants their vote.

Oh, we don't talk about CHIP. No one talks about CHIP because then you have to admit she did something big while in the Senate. All she did was vote for Iraq while she was a Senator, remember?

ivysaur12

Banned
CHIP was still while she as First Lady, but she took point on it from the administration's side.

It was basically her, Kennedy, and Orrin Hatch of all people.

Tubie

I think for starters it would be not voting to declare a war on another country but as reasons as thin as paper, but hey what do I know. I also like to think supporting free health care is pretty progressive in this day and age, but then again even conservative governments support that these days, so America seems to be more behind the times than I thought.

More on the war though, does anyone actually realize how big of a deal it is? A lot of people, myself included have been affected on a personal level by the war, and I don't even live in America! I don't like how its shrugged off so easily, like "oh woopsies, no big deal. thousands died, but its all right!":

You do understand healthcare isn't free, right? even where ever you live it isn't free. It isn't free anywhere in the world. Hillary has fought all her life for the federal government to fund medicare for all. Even Bernie's plan has everyone pitch in with extra taxes to pay for it. It's not free.

Bush invaded Iraq and he misled congress and the american people in order to do so. Hillary made the mistake of believing the president at the time, and that's on her, but she never had the initiative of just starting wars left and right like it's nothing.

Hazmat

...just like Hillary.

I have no idea what this means.

I have no idea what this means.
93d1d537364596941b066ebe7bb2453d8d8c12d7

Azzanadra

You do understand healthcare isn't free, right? even where ever you live it isn't free. It isn't free anywhere in the world. Hillary has fought all her life for the federal government to fund medicare for all. Even Bernie's plan has everyone pitch in with extra taxes to pay for it. It's not free.

Bush invaded Iraq and he misled congress and the american people in order to do so. Hillary made the mistake of believing the president at the time, and that's on her, but she never had the initiative of just starting wars left and right like it's nothing.

The point is, Bernie didn't vote for it. Wouldn't you want you next president to have the foresight to actually see what a mess it would be rather than making such big mistakes like this?

so he voted against the 2002 AUMF. good for him. that doesn't absolve him of literally any of the other votes he's made that are otherwise consistent with america playing world police wherever it pleases, and there are a fuckton.

the "Hillary is unqualified" not a thread in OT? I'm shocked

after 3 threads got closed today alone i don't think people want to dive in there again

T'Zariah

Banned
Hillary Clinton said:
“Even though the resolution before the Senate is not as strong as I would like in requiring the diplomatic route first … I take the president at his word that he will try hard to pass a United Nations resolution and seek to avoid war, if possible. Because bipartisan support for this resolution makes success in the United Nations more likely and war less likely—and because a good faith effort by the United States, even if it fails, will bring more allies and legitimacy to our cause—I have concluded, after careful and serious consideration, that a vote for the resolution best serves the security of our nation. If we were to defeat this resolution or pass it with only a few Democrats, I am concerned that those who want to pretend this problem will go away with delay will oppose any United Nations resolution calling for unrestricted inspections.”
In other words, she trusted Bush, like everyone else, and got burned.

The point is, Bernie didn't vote for it. Wouldn't you want you next president to have the foresight to actually see what a mess it would be rather than making such big mistakes like this?
Yes, people can be wrong sometimes and right others.

When the stakes are so large people can end up dead.

This isn't meant to wash it away, she made a bad decision. A bad decision that cost many their lives.

Bernie would have to make the same types of choices as president, and he's shown in the past that he has no qualms about making those choices with his vote.

CHIP was still while she as First Lady, but she took point on it from the administration's side.

It was basically her, Kennedy, and Orrin Hatch of all people.
Also if people want to blame her for the shitty things of Bill Clinton's presidency (welfare reform, DOMA, repealing Glass-Stegall) I think it's only fair we give her credit for helping pass good things.

Tubie

I already said she's not perfect, but you paint her as some warhawk for believing lies from a President and his apparatus, like most of the country did at the time. She's not Bush, not even close and there's no evidence to believe she will start a war out of her own personal interests. This is why I don't think her Iraq war vote equates to her being a bloodthirsty war criminal like some believe.

So, umm. Afghanistan is still something of a mess too. I mean the pretense of that war... righteous vengeance... was better than Iraq... petty vengeance and oil.

ampere

Do you think the winner of the election gets to ask a djinn for three wishes or some shit?

That's how you break up the banks. It's genius

First vote is to primary all sitting Democrats who don't qualify as "Bernie-crats"

Second vote is to kill all free trade

Third vote is to "break up the banks"

NeoXChaos

First time I've seen an angry post from Tom on Bernie. You know you done wrong when Tom is angry at you. Tom is the cheery optimistic Aaron 1.5 and Adam 2.0

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I'd rather have a Democrat than a Republican because there are a lot of groups in the USA that would get burned if the executive branch and the courts got stacked conservative. I like social democracy. I dont think Sanders is a good ambassador for it, because he hasnt done anything to assure me he is actually working towards making that a reality. He is weakening the likely nominee, he has failed to grow the down ticket strength of Democrats that would be needed to legislate any of his plans, he is anti trade and wants to be protectionist in a globalized economy, and is failing to reach the Obama coalition that gives the Dems their demographic advantage.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah, I can get HylianTom's frustration; the last week I went from, In the case of Sanders winning the nomination, voting for him in the GE to voting for Bloomberg if he jumped in the race over Sanders. Would still, in the case of either Cruz or Trump v Sanders only, vote for Sanders.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Benchmark's Wyoming Writeup

Looks about right to me, though I'd expect Sanders to overperform here. Maybe 75/25.

It's not in the Great Lakes area of confusion, so I would not be so sure about him overperforming, then again: fucking caucuses.

Edit: Indiana may tell us if it's Lake Michigan causing the polling being wrong, or something else. I'll have to see Tyler's model to be sure.

besada

Banned
out of all the ones posted today, this one probably should be. But let's be real, it'd be even more of a battlefield than all of those locked ones.
And the problem isn't the threads, necessarily, it's the behavior in the threads, and sometimes in here. We aren't going to allow you to treat each other with constant disrespect and insults, if that means we have to ban everyone political until the elections are over, I guess we could do that.

I'd much rather see people attempt to treat each other as fellows who believe in similar things, but with different opinions on how to achieve them. Of course, that requires both groups to quit treating each other as morons/republicans/the ultimate evil. It's entirely possible to disagree about this stuff without being an asshole. In the moderator's swanky underground lounge, we have mods who support and vote for Bernie, and we have mods who support and vote for Hillary, and then some foreign mods with various strong opinions. And yet we somehow manage not to say "fuck you" either explicitly or obliquely. No one is calling anyone stupid. No one is using the word "hate" about fellow travelers.

We sometimes disagree, and we challenge each other's facts. But we do it with the understanding that fundamentally we want similar things, we simply disagree about the best methods to achieve them. And mutual respect helps us not be giant douchecanoes to each other.

I'd love it if we could work on that in here and in other political threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom