• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubie

I've been holding off on those glasses, because I want that Joseph Altuzarra designed shirt. I might have to just order the glasses, though...

I have actively avoided the apparel section, tonight could've easily come close to $200 if I didn't...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You know...Howard Dean for Senate sounds pretty damn good at the moment.

1230200-byah.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
I have actively avoided the apparel section, tonight could've easily come close to $200 if I didn't...

I usually do one apparel item per cycle. Last time was an "Ohio for Obama" shirt, and this time will likely be some sort of "Virginia for Hillary" item.

Those pint glasses look tempting, but they give me flashbacks to my sad set of Kerry-Edwards shot glasses. They got plenty of use that November. =/

ivysaur12

Banned
You know...Howard Dean for Senate sounds pretty damn good at the moment.

Eh, let's not go that far.

I actually think there could be a great president who comes out of Vermont. Leahy and Sanders are both so old, and Peter Welch looks 293 years old, at least.

Holmes

Guys who caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaares, he's shooting himself in the foot among Democratic voters in the upcoming closed primaries. Like if this was before the West Virginia or Kentucky primaries then at least it'd be playing up the hate for Clinton and Obama there, but these are Democrats voting in New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Democrats are one of Clinton's strongest demographics.

itschris

r/politics is Bernie-only subreddit. Anything that does not paint him as a christ-like saint has to be downvoted.

Yeah, I've noticed. I'm curious about what the reaction there is going to be like once Hillary clinches the nomination beyond all doubt (I mean, she pretty much has it already, but I can understand the temptation to believe otherwise during this streak of Bernie-friendly states that's about to end after Wyoming). Will r/politics transition to preferring her over the Republican nominee, or will there be a lot of sour grapes and anti-Hillary sentiment?

Guys who caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaares, he's shooting himself in the foot among Democratic voters in the upcoming closed primaries.

I'm actually starting to worry he won't back down during the general as well. He definitely seems like he's at the point where he won't campaign for her.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I usually do one apparel item per cycle. Last time was an "Ohio for Obama" shirt, and this time will likely be some sort of "Virginia for Hillary" item.

Those pint glasses look tempting, but they give me flashbacks to my sad set of Kerry-Edwards shot glasses. They got plenty of use that November. =/

I have a collection of Pint glasses. I probably would have bought a set off of Sander's site if they sold some. Of all the campaigns the only other one that sells pint glasses is Trump(british style, ironically), and I couldn't bring myself to order something from trump.

T'Zariah

Banned
Yeah, I've noticed. I'm curious about what the reaction there is going to be like once Hillary clinches the nomination beyond all doubt (I mean, she pretty much has it already, but I can understand the temptation to believe otherwise during this streak of Bernie-friendly states that's about to end after Wyoming). Will r/politics transition to preferring her over the Republican nominee, or will there be a lot of sour grapes and anti-Hillary sentiment?

That ship has sailed.

It's gonna take several years at least for it to get back where it once was.

Holmes

I'm actually starting to worry he won't back down during the general as well.
Again, who cares. Let the little babies have their birdies and go home while people who actually want to run the country and create positive reform do what they've been doing for a long time.

I actually think there could be a great president who comes out of Vermont. Leahy and Sanders are both so old, and Peter Welch looks 293 years old, at least.

I have a feeling if Dean wanted to make a move, the DSCC wouldn't stand in the way and would cut the funds off for Bernie. I think when Bernie retires, he'll definitely run for the seat. Although, he IS 67.....

I'm a bitch, though, so I'd use it as more of a threat to get him to close his mouth.

And, I caved and ordered the shirt and the glasses. Screw it. YOLO.

ivysaur12

Banned
Speaking of Vermont, my guess is that Leahy and Sanders will both retire after their next terms are over. Leahy is 76, Sanders is 74. I don't know if Sanders will run in 2018. Welch will most likely run for Sanders's spot, and like, whatever with him.

Welch's seat and then Leahy's seat are where it gets more interesting, because we have a real chance to get a young, articulate progressive person in the Senate. We should really be cognizant of that and be grooming someone to run in 2018 for Welch's seat who maybe is under 40 who can then run for Leahy's seat when he retires.

Welch may not even run for Sanders's seat. He's old. But we need to start grooming the next young progressive leaders in the country, and the two Senate seats in Vermont are the perfect places to do it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Speaking of Vermont, my guess is that Leahy and Sanders will both retire after their next terms are over. Leahy is 76, Sanders is 74. I don't know if Sanders will run in 2018. Welch will most likely run for Sanders's spot, and like, whatever with him.

Welch's seat and then Leahy's seat are where it gets more interesting, because we have a real chance to get a young, articulate progressive person in the Senate. We should really be cognizant of that and be grooming someone to run in 2018 for Welch's seat who maybe is under 40 who can then run for Leahy's seat when he retires.

Welch may not even run for Sanders's seat. He's old. But we need to start grooming the next young progressive leaders in the country, and the two Senate seats in Vermont are the perfect places to do it.

I don't know about Vermont being the best place, personally I'd look someplace that looks a bit more like the democratic party.

I wish we had someone better than Strickland to run for Portman's seat. He is not my favorite person, ignoring the fact he's old as hell. Sittenfeld would have been great if he had a bit more experience and a lot more money. Alas, we're stuck with Strickland.

Total definition of holding my nose and voting for the greater good.

Holmes

Sanders already filed for re-election in 2018 as an independent.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I'm more looking at new york to produce progressive leaders. They've already gotten DeBlasio as mayor and gave Teachout a strong showing in two separate primaries, and I'm guessing that faction is only gonna get stronger.

After Bernie, Vermont will be stuck as the brogressive state.

ivysaur12

Banned
I don't know about Vermont being the best place, personally I'd look someplace that looks a bit more like the democratic party.

More what I mean is, we have two very old Senators who are both probably on the brink of retiring (I guess Sanders isn't, fine, both him and Leahy will be 82 at the end of their terms). If we're really committed to actual progressive legislation in this country and grooming the presidents of tomorrow, we need to be very cognizant of where we can run young, talented progressives. Vermont (I thought, but am thinking a bit differently now knowing that about Sanders) provides that opportunity.

It's sort of why I gave to Donna Edwards versus Chris Van Hollen the other day. Van Hollen will always be Some Dude in the Senate, while Edwards has a real chance to be Kamala's Bernie.

I'm more looking at new york to produce progressive leaders. They've already gotten DeBlasio as mayor and gave Teachout a strong showing in two separate primaries, and I'm guessing that faction is only gonna get stronger.

After Bernie, Vermont will be stuck as the brogressive state.

Zephyr is a very solid example. So is a Lucy Flores. Zephyr is 44, Lucy is 36. These are the types of people we need to start grooming for higher office.

Zephyr's also proven herself a very capable campaigner.

saltypickles

Neo Member
I miss the old Bernie, straight from Vermo' Bernie,
Chop up the soul Bernie, set on his goals Bernie,
I hate the new Bernie, the bad mood Bernie,
The always rude Bernie, spaz in the news Bernie,
I miss the sweet Bernie, chop up the banks Bernie,
I gotta say, at that time I'd like to meet Bernie,
See I invented Bernie, it wasn't any Bernies,
And now I look and look around and there's so many Bernies!
I used to love Bernie, I used to love Bernie,
I even had the blue lawn sign I thought I was Bernie!
What if Bernie made a speech about Bernie?
Called "I Miss The Old Bernie", man that would be so Bernie!
That's all it was Bernie, we still love Bernie
And I love you like Bernie, loves Bernie

No, this stuff is great! Demographics trends and the placement of people and why they are there and why they vote the way they do is one of my favorite things about spaceships and magic.

Perhaps my only regret about not living in Ohio longer than I did is that I didn't really get a sense of its political geography beyond obvious things like "Cleveland is blue, rural parts are red."

Growing up in one of Indiana's few Democratic strongholds (Bloomington) was interesting because I was naturally exposed on a regular basis to points of view that ranged from downright reactionary to "makes Bernie Sanders look pragmatic." Also getting to know Indiana history and how it interacted with politics was neat. For instance, Southern Indiana was traditionally conservative Democratic territory because migration patterns in the early US meant that many of the settlers came from Virginia. Of course there's the downright embarrassing episodes like that time in the 1920s when the KKK more or less controlled the state.

Wisconsin is interesting as such a competitive state, so you get to know the important parts (as outlined above) and how turnout in each portion is important. I did find it ironic that when I moved there I was so excited to finally live in a state that would be competitive in presidential elections, and then my first one while living there happened to be the first time in my life when Indiana went blue.

Illinois is fairly easy to understand, in so far as it's so dominated by a single metropolitan area. More than 60% of the state's population is in the Chicago metro area, and over 40% is in Cook County alone. Illinois went from a swing state to safe Democratic when Cook County went from solid blue to ludicrously blue and the suburban "collar counties" went from red to purple. There's just not enough votes downstate to counteract that.

Me 8 Months ago: Eh Bernie Sanders? Seems like a good guy with some good ideals. Hillary is more electable though.

Me 4 months Ago: Err.. Bernie's alright I guess. His supporters can get over Zellous though. Still, Hillary got my Vote.

Me 2 Months ago: OK, Bernie, your getting a little out there...

Me 1 month ago: God Dammit Bernie. Whatever. Hillary got this.

Me Tonight: Oh fuck you Bernie. You've worn out your welcome. Your the damned Ubisoft of the Primaries.

Holmes

On my first Dark Souls playthrough I killed Ornstein first and got Smough's soul, then in my NG+ I needed to kill Ornstein second to get his soul, and that was......... fun. I fucked up getting my platinum and had to do a NG++++ and fighting those two were always the worst bosses in any given playthrough.

Me 8 Months ago: Eh Bernie Sanders? Seems like a good guy with some good ideals. Hillary is more electable though.

Me 4 months Ago: Err.. Bernie's alright I guess. His supporters can get over Zellous though. Still Hillary got my Vote.

Me 2 Months ago: OK, Bernie, your getting a little out there...

Me 1 month ago: God Dammit Bernie. Whatever. Hillary got this.

Me Tonight: Oh fuck you Bernie. You've worn out your welcome. Your the damned Ubisoft of the Primaries.

Woah, hey now. No one deserves that type of vitriol. :p

I need to try this Dark Souls thing. I tried Bloodborne and didn't do so well.

Out of curiosity, has Sanders made by comments regarding shadow banking? Actually, has Clinton?

Or has all talk on finance reform focused on big banks?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Out of curiosity, has Sanders made by comments regarding shadow banking? Actually, has Clinton?

Or has all talk on finance reform focused on big banks?

Clinton usually mentions shadow banking in the debates when talking about wall street and financial reform, you can actually go back into the threads and find people laughing the mentions of it.

Aaron

I think after tonight Obama should endorse Hillary.
You want to drive as many Sanders supporters to Trump as possible? Because that's all this would accomplish. They already decry that the Democratic Party is using dirty tricks to undermine Bernie. Something like this would only confirm it in their eyes. Leave the party in fighting to the Republicans.

I'm actually starting to worry he won't back down during the general as well. He definitely seems like he's at the point where he won't campaign for her.

Honestly, he doesn't really have much of a history of campaigning for anyone other than himself. Like, as bad as things are right now, I'm sure he'll endorse Hillary. But I think it'll be a fairly tepid endorsement and he'll go back to the Senate to do his thing and that'll pretty much be it. I certainly see no chance of him going the extra mile the way Hillary did for Barack back in 2008 (after a very acrimonious primary, I might add).

BanGy.nz

Banned
I miss the old Bernie, straight from Vermo' Bernie,
Chop up the soul Bernie, set on his goals Bernie,
I hate the new Bernie, the bad mood Bernie,
The always rude Bernie, spaz in the news Bernie,
I miss the sweet Bernie, chop up the banks Bernie,
I gotta say, at that time I'd like to meet Bernie,
See I invented Bernie, it wasn't any Bernies,
And now I look and look around and there's so many Bernies!
I used to love Bernie, I used to love Bernie,
I even had the blue lawn sign I thought I was Bernie!
What if Bernie made a speech about Bernie?
Called "I Miss The Old Bernie", man that would be so Bernie!
That's all it was Bernie, we still love Bernie
And I love you like Bernie, loves Bernie
I look forward to the 2020 democratic primary where both Sanders and Kayne challenge Hillary.

Clinton's plan involves regulation of non-bank financial institutions.

Also besada is correct. People with red names in the swanky mod lounge rock. But I like to mingle with the peasantry too to keep a common touch.

You want to drive as many Sanders supporters to Trump as possible? Because that's all this would accomplish. They already decry that the Democratic Party is using dirty tricks to undermine Bernie. Something like this would only confirm it in their eyes. Leave the party in fighting to the Republicans.

Anybody who will do this was going to not vote for Hillary anyway.

Hexa

Trump was low energy yesterday, but he appears to be in high spirits again. He must really love being back in New York. Hope he does something crazy soon.

wHgcF8n.gif

Boy, I could have used some of those. That was my first presidential election and I was so confident after convincing myself that "undecideds will totally break for the challenger" and "man, look at those leaked exit polls, we got this." Watching the actual returns and having the reality slowly sink in that George W. Bush of all people was going to be re-elected, and having the one Bush supporter in the group I was watching with (he was super nice, but man his joy at the results was like a dagger to the heart), well, that was a rough night.

The first bad loss is the hardest.

Boy, I could have used some of those. That was my first presidential election and I was so confident after convincing myself that "undecideds will totally break for the challenger" and "man, look at those leaked exit polls, we got this." Watching the actual returns and having the reality slowly sink in that George W. Bush of all people was going to be re-elected, and having the one Bush supporter in the group I was watching with (he was super nice, but man his joy at the results was like a dagger to the heart), well, that was a rough night.

The first bad loss is the hardest.

Right there with you. I think I saw my dad mad twice in my life....once was in 2000 and the other was in 2004. I live blogged the 2004 results on this Harry Potter website I was a part of. I went in so damn happy....and then it all fell apart.

ivysaur12

Banned
Known loser, underwhelming fundraising (at least in the past, dunno about now), and Kihuen is a more competent candidate.

Oh wow, no shit on fundraising

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/feb/02/financial-reports-suggest-fierce-primary-battles-a/

A heated race is shaping up among Democrats vying for Republican Rep. Cresent Hardy’s seat.

Philanthropist Susie Lee and state Sen. Ruben Kihuen significantly outpaced their two Democratic opponents in both cash on hand and contributions they received last quarter. Lee reported raising $160,000 in net contributions, bringing her total amount of cash in the bank to $647,000. That includes $150,000 in personal loans Lee has made to her campaign.

“I’m proud of the support I have received from so many Nevadans,” Lee said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Kihuen raised $152,000 and has $373,000 on hand. Kihuen said in a statement that he was “humbled” by the support, adding, “I am more confidant than ever that we will have the resources to win the primary and defeat Congressman Hardy in November."

Coming in at third, former Assembly Speaker John Oceguera raised $53,000 last quarter, bringing him to $204,000 in cash on hand. His total includes $100,000 in loans he has made to his campaign. Former Assemblywoman Lucy Flores came in last in fundraising numbers, at $51,000 last quarter with $84,000 on hand.

The concern among Democrats is that a significant amount of money will be pumped into the four-way primary, leaving the eventual candidate — and potential donors — exhausted come June.

Yeesh. I mean, none of those are great numbers, even for a congressional seat, but still.

ALSO WOW KIHUEN

maxresdefault.jpg

I was too young to vote in 2000, but in any event I actually wasn't very invested in the outcome at the time. I kind of bought into the myth that the two candidates weren't that much different and it came during a brief period of my life when I considered myself an independent, which was basically an intermediate phase between considering myself a Republican because I came from a Republican family to being a committed Democrat. I'm actually kind of glad I was just too young to vote because who knows what stupid thing I might have done with my ballot.

Actually one memory that really sticks out in my head was from the summer I turned 18. As we were getting ready to leave from visiting my grandmother she took me aside and told me, "Well, vote Republican. You come from a long line of Republican voters." She proceeded to tell me how upset she was that too many of her children were going off and voting Democrat on her. It was kind of adorable in its own way, but I have no regrets about ignoring that advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom