• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

It looks like Obama is eating Clinton's face in this picture.

CflkXNHUAAA1xzr.jpg

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like Obama is eating Clinton's face in this picture.
Moar liek Mack Donalds

Edit:
North Dakota has no party registration so anyone can participate, so long as they declare that they are a Democrat upon entering the caucus site.
*walks in wearing a Make America Great Again Hat, in real tree oak camo colorway* "I'm a democrat! Promise!"

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It started here:

Oh my god that person's Twitter: https://twitter.com/RiversDecas/status/718919274023280640

Imagine spending all day saying Hillary Diane Rhodam Clinton cackles while driving homeless people to McDonalds to win their vote on Twitter.

Also arguing with every pundit who posts facts.

Then, Trouble posted this:

HILLARY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE MCDONALDS

Some basic research as to the origin of the Meme: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/1y9sbs/where_did_the_つ_つ_emoticon_get_started/

Hillary was done in by caucus states and the south. Nothing she could have done in the big states would have mattered. I mean maybe she would have kept it close? She lots by 150+ delegates, no? Bernie will lose by even more, but his "need to win by" numbers are even more ridiculous.
Not to say a theoretical Reddit community would have turned the tables for Clinton in 2008, but imagine the current Berniebro crowd if her deficit was only ever half the size of the advantage she has on Sanders now. They're already terrifying in the face of impossibility, multiple alternate realities removed from the actual situation.

Here's a really slapdash prediction of how these will go. I just allocated the delegates according to the margin, not accounting for any district-level shenanigans.

New York - Clinton 60, Sanders 40 (Clinton + 49)

Connecticut - Clinton 54, Sanders 46 (Clinton + 5)

Delaware - Clinton 60, Sanders 40 (Clinton + 5)

Maryland - Clinton 65, Sanders 35 (Clinton + 29)

Pennsylvania - Clinton 60, Sanders 40 (Clinton + 37)

Rhode Island - Clinton 51, Sanders 49 (Clinton + 2)

After 4/26 - Clinton 1,689, Sanders 1,346, Delegate Advantage +343

Indiana - Clinton 48, Sanders 52 (Sanders + 3)

Guam - Clinton + 1

West Virginia - Clinton 40, Sanders 60 (Sanders + 5)

Kentucky - Clinton 48, Sanders 52 (Sanders + 3)

Oregon - Clinton 30, Sanders 70 (Sanders + 25)

Virgin Islands - Clinton + 1

Puerto Rico - Clinton 60, Sanders 40 (Clinton + 12)

Before 6/7 - Clinton 1,829, Sanders 1,508, Delegate Advantage + 321

Armageddon

California - Clinton 55, Sanders 45 (Clinton + 47)

Montana - Clinton 40, Sanders 60 (Sanders + 5)

New Jersey - Clinton 60, Sanders 40 (Clinton + 26)

New Mexico - Clinton 60, Sanders 40 (Clinton + 6)

North Dakota - Clinton 30, Sanders 70 (Sanders + 8)

South Dakota - Clinton 30, Sanders 70 (Sanders + 8)

District of Columbia - Clinton 70, Sanders 30 (Clinton + 8)

Clinton - 2,219 (54.8%)
Sanders - 1,832 (45.2%)
Difference - Clinton + 387 (+9.6%)

With Supers

Clinton - 2,696
Sanders - 1,870

If these margins hold, Clinton will be 77 delegates shy (including supers) of crossing the threshold before 6/7.

Holmes

*walks in wearing a Make America Great Again Hat, in real tree oak camo colorway* "I'm a democrat! Promise!"
Well since the Republicans held a convention, I'm sure there's a lot of Republicans who didn't participate in a contest that would be able to go to the Democratic caucuses, but I dunno if many of them will go out of their way to spend a few hours of the day with Democrats talking about Clinton or Sanders.

Wilsongt

I swear, if young people don't come out and vote in November because they are too asshurt Bernie didn't steal the nomination somehow, I will personally...

Post about it on Facebook while I celebrate our Queen taking her throne.

ivysaur12

Banned
This one was harder but my takes are 🔥🔥🔥

New York: Trump
Connecticut: Trump
Delaware: Trump
Maryland: Trump
Pennsylvania: Trump
Rhode Island: Trump
Indiana: Trump (VERY CLOSE)
Nebraska: Cruz
West Virginia: Trump
Oregon: Cruz
Washington: Cruz
California: Trump
Montana: Cruz (VERY CLOSE)
New Jersey: I mean. Trump.
New Mexico: Trump
South Dakota: Cruz

Man super weird reading the negativity in this thread. I know it's super anecdotal but up here just south of Albany everyone I talk to loves Bernie. In fact I'm miffed because I was an idiot and didn't switch my party registration early enough (originally had no party listed) so I can't vote for him. Gonna keep it Dem though because honestly it should have been that from the start anyway and I don't want a similar situation to happen again.

Note: Yes the community I'm from is predominately white, so I realize it's not indicative of NY as a whole. That being said I hate seeing this idea getting pushed that NY has outright rejected Bernie when everything I see around me shows that many people around here at the very least like him, and in fact many are behind him 100%. NY isn't a hivemind nor is any other State, and it's frustrating to see Hillary supporters essentially laugh off any and all support he has up here. Just kind of continues this condescending vibe the whole campaign has given off, even though I'll obviously still vote for her come November if she gets the nom.

EDIT: Also what the hell that tweet the thread title is based on has one favorite why the hell does anyone care or think it represents anyone. Do people just go looking for this shit?

royalan

Man super weird reading the negativity in this thread. I know it's super anecdotal but up here just south of Albany everyone I talk to loves Bernie. In fact I'm miffed because I was an idiot and didn't switch my party registration early enough (originally had no party listed) so I can't vote for him. Gonna keep it Dem though because honestly it should have been that from the start anyway and I don't want a similar situation to happen again.

Note: Yes the community I'm from is predominately white, so I realize it's not indicative of NY as a whole. That being said I hate seeing this idea getting pushed that NY has outright rejected Bernie when everything I see around me shows that many people around here at the very least like him, and in fact many are behind him 100%. NY isn't a hivemind nor is any other State, and it's frustrating to see Hillary supporters essentially laugh off any and all support he has up here. Just kind of continues this condescending vibe the whole campaign has given off, even though I'll obviously still vote for her come November if she gets the nom.

EDIT: Also what the hell that tweet the thread title is based on has one favorite why the hell does anyone care or think it represents anyone. Do people just go looking for this shit?

Who's laughing off his support? People are just talking reality, and the reality is Bernie is currently trailing in every poll taken of the state.

Hindl

The problem is that NYC so thoroughly controls the rest of the state when it comes to voting that you can generally assume whoever wins NYC wins the state. And NYC heavily favors Hillary

ivysaur12

Banned

I don't think it's a condescending attitude. Hillary is taking New York very seriously. She was a popular Senator that was elected twice. Multiple polling operations have her routing Bernie. What do you want people to say?

25% of Washington still voted for Hillary, which is probably more than the amount of people who voted in the Wyoming caucus overall. No one is laughing those people off, but a win is win and (as polling show) a double-digit win is a big win.

hawk2025

Who said it represents anything?

The tweet is funny, especially the post reacting to it. That's it. It's not meant to be a slight to Sanders. In fact, it doesn't even address him in any way.

Your whole post is nothing but perceived slights. Yes, we understand NY is not a hive mind. That should be painfully obvious given that polls are posted every other page with something different than 100-0. C'mon. No one pushed around an idea that New York has rejected Sanders.

Elaborating, consider this: With absolutely no indication whatsoever that it was the case, you took a funny thread title change as a slight and an implicit claim that it was representative of... something.

Kangi

Besada's post in the April primaries thread should be copy/pasted into the OP of every political thread:
Hey, could you all seriously shut up about how mean the other side is being to you? If you think a user is breaking the rules, notify a moderator. Otherwise, address the topic, or go do something else.
I propose we take it to heart and move on any time one of the threads devolve into "Hillary supporters being so mean to me :(" "Bernie supporters have been meaner!" "You're being mean to me right now!" Better than getting frustrated and walking back to the clubhouse here to badmouth how OT is posting today or whatever... which, y'know, is bannable and we've been warned about it multiple times.

Anyway, how ya'll doing this fine post-Wyoming day? We're heading towards Hillary territory now. Feels good to have the string of western white caucuses behind us... and for the latest one to have ended so well.

Excellent - Bernie's latest campaign ad, "Make History":

Times are tough right now and we don't have extra money to send to politicians, so, I saved me twenty bucks, gave myself my own haircut, and I'm going to take that twenty bucks and I'm going to send it to Bernie Sanders.

Um, honey, I hope you're o.k. with that.

P.S. For those that didn't get my Obama reference, I was, of course, thanking him for all those extra Democrats he registered during his inspirational 08 campaign, including me :).

Daniel B·;200635686 said:

P.S. For those that didn't get my Obama reference, I was, of course, thanking him for all those extra Democrats he registered during his inspirational 08 campaign, including me :).

Shut off after portrait mode.... jk

Btw people scrounging up money to send to a guy with like no chance on winning is exactly why he shouldn't be running anymore. He's taking their money for nothing. Well mostly to pay Tad Devine.

Don't focus on unreasonably opinioned or snarky posts (or worse, shitposts) from anonymous internet people. It will only madden you, and because you notice them more when they're negative about your preferred candidate, it creates the illusion that your candidate is being "treated unfairly". Just remember that for every shitpost on the internet Sanders gets, somewhere else one is being made for Hillary. Just try to ignore them, because if you don't, you engage into a discussion that's more like a trench war and noone will change opinions or agree to disagree. And worse, you just add another worthless "my candidate is treated unfairly" post to the pile.

Try to focus on news stories, facts, and people who voice their opinions intelligently.

I also always try to force myself to get a perspective on things. For example, I personally find the whole "qualified" debacle just a fart in a net bag. I'm more of a Hillary supporter than a Bernie supporter, so I could be be outraged, but honestly, if Hillary had said the same thing about Bernie, I would just consider it a standard attack on an opponent. Or a poor choice of words to just say you're the better candidate. So whatever. It's a shame the democratic primaries are getting a little dirty, but in the grand scheme of things, neither Bernie or Hillary have said or done anyting that makes me think "wtf is wrong with him/her?". How their supporters behave is of less importance.

Mind you, I don't have the state of mind of a buddhist monk when I read political threads. It's a aggravating activity. I always have to tell myself to NOT read the comments on imgur, because "Hitlery" is not used in an ironic sense over there.

hawk2025

I'm always a lil' bit torn on the whole "I sacrificed X to make a $20 contribution" bits.

On one hand, that's pretty cool -- put your money and your weight the way you can.

On the other, I just think his campaign managers and advertising agencies contracted by such a movement should take a pay cut before people stop buying food, haircuts, and other services.

Fundamentally, why should that $20 go to Devine, Weaver, and media buys instead of, well, anything else for someone living within extremely tight means to the paid where $20 breaks the bank?

*shrugs*

I'm not solid on thinking either way at the moment. But something feels off.

I'm always a lil' bit torn on the whole "I sacrificed X to make a $20 contribution" bits.

On one hand, that's pretty cool -- put your money and your weight the way you can.

On the other, I just think his campaign managers and advertising agencies contracted by such a movement should take a pay cut before people stop buying food, haircuts, and other services.

Fundamentally, why should that $20 go to Devine, Weaver, and media buys instead of, well, anything else for someone living within extremely tight means to the paid where $20 breaks the bank?

*shrugs*

I'm not solid on thinking either way at the moment. But something feels off.

It'd be one thing if Sanders was selling them on the message. You know like contribute to keep the message alive after the campaign or to help elect down ticketers but he's selling them on victory. Contribute and I'll win. That's my issue

hawk2025

It'd be one thing if Sanders was selling them on the message. You know like contribute to keep the message alive aftervthe campaign but he's selling them on victory. Contribute and I'll win. That's my issue

I dunno, I'm genuinely torn on the issue. I agree, part of it is that it's hard to say you are funding a revolution when, well, you are not. All the money is being spent on the primary so far, period, and focused exclusively on Sanders.

Public-only campaign financing is the answer, I think. Maybe. For now, I'd rather have well-intentioned rich-ass people pay for my campaigns or George Clooney than someone struggling to eat, tbh.

I think I would feel much better is if the Sanders campaign doubled on (beyond Citizen's United) having a very, VERY specific campaign finance reform plan and directly linked it to their fundraising.

Daniel B·;200635686 said:

Awesome!

I dunno, I'm genuinely torn on the issue. I agree, part of it is that it's hard to say you are funding a revolution when, well, you are not. All the money is being spent on the primary so far, period, and focused exclusively on Sanders.

Public-only campaign financing is the answer, I think. Maybe. For now, I'd rather have well-intentioned rich-ass people pay for my campaigns or George Clooney than someone struggling to eat, tbh.

I think I would feel much better is if the Sanders campaign doubled on (beyond Citizen's United) having a very, VERY specific campaign finance reform plan and directly linked it to their fundraising.

Thing is Sanders has very few actual concrete plans. Tons of ideas not a lot of plans.

I mean look at that ad it was just a lot of cult of personality.

Who said it represents anything?

The tweet is funny, especially the post reacting to it. That's it. It's not meant to be a slight to Sanders. In fact, it doesn't even address him in any way.

Your whole post is nothing but perceived slights. Yes, we understand NY is not a hive mind. That should be painfully obvious given that polls are posted every other page with something different than 100-0. C'mon. No one pushed around an idea that New York has rejected Sanders.

Elaborating, consider this: With absolutely no indication whatsoever that it was the case, you took a funny thread title change as a slight and an implicit claim that it was representative of... something.

I didn't say it was a "slight to Sanders." For a reference like the thread title to be funny I would have to know what the hell it was referencing, which evidently many people in this thread didn't. It just strikes me as weird, how did anyone even find something with such low exposure and how did it go from being a tweet from a nobody that you'd have to go out of your way to find to being the "lol so funny" title of this thread. It just seems like shitting on some rando twitter user with an "opinion" that gained absolutely no support from anyone else anyways.

I'm not feeling slighted, really. Maybe "misrepresented" would be a better word. Just kind of feels like my community doesn't even matter in the end, but hey, I guess that's politics (1st election here). Obviously I knew all of this going in, but it's different knowing how things are and experiencing them firsthand.

I think you're over analyzing me a bit here based on some genuine confusion as to why this thread title change is even funny in the first place. Don't read too much into it.

hawk2025

Thing is Sanders has very few actual concrete plans. Tons of ideas not a lot of plans.

I mean look at that ad it was just a lot of cult of personality.

The ad is about rallying the troops around the feels, though, and not about policy. It's very effective at that and quite well done, IMO.

I dunno. It's hard to question it without sounding (and being, I suppose) intensely paternalistic about how people spend their money. If $20 is buying them a whole lot of good feelings, I suppose it's all good. :)

Worth thinking about how a better-run campaign would leverage this type of grassroots funding even more, though. I personally think tying it to making campaign financing even more central would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom